It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: A Ukrainian woman in limbo  (Read 16009 times)

Offline BillyB

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: > 10
Re: A Ukrainian woman in limbo
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2016, 02:00:16 PM »
BTW she is unaware of this plan as my friend and I are still only discussing it at this stage of things. Better not to mention it to her until I decide to actually go through with it.

I suspect she has a lot of unfinished business with the divorce in her town before being able to move to your city. Let her take care of that stuff and she may end up getting financial support and can decide on where she wants to live. She doesn't show up for court, she loses.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline xiphoid

• I'll keep trying till I get it right...
  • Spouse's Country: No Selection
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2016, 09:18:21 PM »
BTW I have no romantic interest in her. I have other possibilities that I have been cultivating.
Beautiful girls, won't you walk a little slower, when you walk past me? - Robert Goulet

Offline BillyB

« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2016, 09:23:52 PM »
BTW I have no romantic interest in her. I have other possibilities that I have been cultivating.

Get one of those other possibilities into your home. Take care of yourself first.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline whynotme

• Trips: No Selection
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2016, 10:34:25 PM »
I need advice for a friend. Through my friends living in another state Oregon, I met their friend, a divorced Ukrainian woman that is in the legal process of getting her immigration papers, green card etc. Soon she will have to pay for a medical physical as well. Unfortunately she has no money for lawyers and physical exam so she must wait a very long time in line to complete the process. My friends and the UW live in a very small rural community with limited resources so she is unable to earn cash money until she is legal to find a regular job. Her current living situation is safe but very stifling and uncomfortable. So what does a divorced foreign bride typically do for money after she divorces an abusive husband while waiting to become a legal resident?  My friends and I discussed the idea of me putting her up at my place for a few months or more due to a better chance at earning some money in a larger city. I have spare rooms in my house that I do not use. At the very least she can attend a language and culture school here where I live. Eventually she would return back to Oregon because she loves the area and wants to eventually settle down there when all is said and done. So how can I help?

Did she come to USA on K1 visa? If so, the only way to become legit - with the petitioner's help. Did they send the documents to change the status while they were married? Did she get the first green card and SSN? If not, she is out of status now and can be deported and get an entry ban to the US. If abuse was officially registered, she should be in shelter getting help and lawyer. Too many questions, so ask yourself do you want to be involved. This woman may ask for advice at Russian speaking girls forums.

Offline BillyB

« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2016, 11:42:07 PM »
Did she come to USA on K1 visa? If so, the only way to become legit - with the petitioner's help. Did they send the documents to change the status while they were married? Did she get the first green card and SSN? If not, she is out of status now and can be deported and get an entry ban to the US.

If an immigrant woman on a K-1 is a victim of domestic violence on the first day she comes to America, she can file for legal status here on her own without her fiance's help. Doesn't matter if she came on a K-1 and didn't marry her fiance. She gets a whole new set of rights with a domestic violence charge on her fiancé.

http://www.uscis.gov/archive/archive-news/fact-sheet-uscis-issues-guidance-approved-violence-against-women-act-vawa-self-petitioners

Offline Maxx2

• Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2016, 12:36:47 AM »

If an immigrant woman on a K-1 is a victim of domestic violence on the first day she comes to America, she can file for legal status here on her own without her fiance's help. Doesn't matter if she came on a K-1 and didn't marry her fiance. She gets a whole new set of rights with a domestic violence charge on her fiancé.

http://www.uscis.gov/archive/archive-news/fact-sheet-uscis-issues-guidance-approved-violence-against-women-act-vawa-self-petitioners

It never used to be that way. Did they change the rules that an I-360 (self-petition based spousal abuse) can only be filed on a spouse? This is an issue that affected me and involved myself with for years. I used be an administrator on a message board and website called http://voif.org

Part 1
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 12:57:49 AM by Maxx2 »

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2016, 12:49:47 AM »
Part 2

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2016, 12:55:49 AM »

I'd recommend that you watch both videos, pay particular attention to the last 30 seconds of the second one and be careful. Back when I was involved with this issue I spoke to all of these me. One of men who was there in Phoenix and knew these guys is a good friend of mine. Anyway good luck and be careful.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 01:00:13 AM by Maxx2 »

Offline BillyB

« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2016, 08:02:07 AM »
It never used to be that way. Did they change the rules that an I-360 (self-petition based spousal abuse) can only be filed on a spouse? This is an issue that affected me and involved myself with for years.

Your difficult divorce years ago came before VAWA. Things did change. If you read the link, it says "The Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) allows battered immigrants to petition for legal status in the United States without relying on abusive U.S.citizen or legal permanent resident spouses, parents or children to sponsor their Adjustment of Status (Form I-485) applications. For many immigrant victims of domestic violence, battery and extreme cruelty, the U.S.citizen or lawful permanent resident family members who would sponsor their applications will threaten to withhold legal immigration sponsorship as a tool of abuse. The purpose of the VAWA program is to allow victims the opportunity to “self-petition” or independently seek legal immigration status in the U.S. Victims of domestic violence, battery and extreme cruelty whose Petition for Amerasian, Widow(er), or Special Immigrant (Form I-360) self-petitions are approved may file Adjustment of Status (Form I-485) applications directly (self-petition). Once a Petition for Amerasian, Widow(er), or Special Immigrant (Form I-360) VAWA self-petition is approved, the immigrant victim may file an Adjustment of Status (Form I-485) application to become a lawful permanent resident (green card holder) directly."

A woman would have to be married to a LPR(legal permanent resident) to qualify but a LPR does qualify to do a K-1 anyway to bring over a finance so for a US Citizen, changes were made with VAWA to allow fiancées or any woman sponsored by a US citizen to obtain the right to stay in America. A US Citizen can do a K-1 and a US Citizen is also able to bring over women for other reasons such as have her work as a nanny. These people who are not married to a US citizen were more vulnerable since they had less rights years ago. A US citizen could abuse them and threatened they would have to go back home if they spoke up about abuse and failed to get married to them. Now the VAWA laws takes away the threat of deportation by allowing the abused persons the right to stay here. Of course false domestic violence charges will increase with these changes. We've had men show up here claiming they were victims of false domestic charges and their lives ruined.

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2016, 09:11:50 AM »

Your difficult divorce years ago came before VAWA. Things did change. If you read the link, it says "The Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) allows battered immigrants to petition for legal status in the United States without relying on abusive U.S.citizen or legal permanent resident spouses, parents or children to sponsor their Adjustment of Status (Form I-485) applications. For many immigrant victims of domestic violence, battery and extreme cruelty, the U.S.citizen or lawful permanent resident family members who would sponsor their applications will threaten to withhold legal immigration sponsorship as a tool of abuse. The purpose of the VAWA program is to allow victims the opportunity to “self-petition” or independently seek legal immigration status in the U.S. Victims of domestic violence, battery and extreme cruelty whose Petition for Amerasian, Widow(er), or Special Immigrant (Form I-360) self-petitions are approved may file Adjustment of Status (Form I-485) applications directly (self-petition). Once a Petition for Amerasian, Widow(er), or Special Immigrant (Form I-360) VAWA self-petition is approved, the immigrant victim may file an Adjustment of Status (Form I-485) application to become a lawful permanent resident (green card holder) directly."

A woman would have to be married to a LPR(legal permanent resident) to qualify but a LPR does qualify to do a K-1 anyway to bring over a finance so for a US Citizen, changes were made with VAWA to allow fiancées or any woman sponsored by a US citizen to obtain the right to stay in America. A US Citizen can do a K-1 and a US Citizen is also able to bring over women for other reasons such as have her work as a nanny. These people who are not married to a US citizen were more vulnerable since they had less rights years ago. A US citizen could abuse them and threatened they would have to go back home if they spoke up about abuse and failed to get married to them. Now the VAWA laws takes away the threat of deportation by allowing the abused persons the right to stay here. Of course false domestic violence charges will increase with these changes. We've had men show up here claiming they were victims of false domestic charges and their lives ruined.

My divorce happened in '03 and VAWA at the INS (as it was called back then) level got put into INS regulations in 1996. The rule was a K1 fiancee had to be married in 90 days upon entering the country or go back. That a fiancee could not file a I-360 until after she married. Otherwise if she had an abusive fiance she/he was supposed to break off the engagement and return home. I've been asked to be an expert witness by an Orlando attorney years back. But last time I involved myself with this issue was in 2010 so maybe the rules changed since then and there are no conditions. I wouldn't be surprised under Obama. Frankly it is such an ugly subject I am glad I've put it behind me.

Offline BillyB

« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2016, 10:33:25 AM »

My divorce happened in '03 and VAWA at the INS (as it was called back then) level got put into INS regulations in 1996.

When IMBRA was passed, it made changes to VAWA. The information at the site I linked was released in 2008. I assume it was one of the changes.

The rule was a K1 fiancee had to be married in 90 days upon entering the country or go back. That a fiancee could not file a I-360 until after she married. Otherwise if she had an abusive fiance she/he was supposed to break off the engagement and return home.

Good thing you bring that up. At the bottom of my link it says those victims of DV who were rejected in 1998 and later can file a motion to reopen or reconsider their case. No matter if they didn't get married, left the husband due to DV, still living here illegally, got deported or left on their own due to AoS being denied, they can now get legal to stay in America by filing a motion.

A VAWA self-petitioner, whose Adjustment of Status (Form I-485) application was filed on or after January 14, 1998 and denied solely because the VAWA self-petitioner was inadmissible due to an illegal entry into the U.S.may file a Motion to Reopen or Reconsider (Form I-290B).

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2016, 08:20:51 PM »

When IMBRA was passed, it made changes to VAWA. The information at the site I linked was released in 2008. I assume it was one of the changes.

Good thing you bring that up. At the bottom of my link it says those victims of DV who were rejected in 1998 and later can file a motion to reopen or reconsider their case. No matter if they didn't get married, left the husband due to DV, still living here illegally, got deported or left on their own due to AoS being denied, they can now get legal to stay in America by filing a motion.

A VAWA self-petitioner, whose Adjustment of Status (Form I-485) application was filed on or after January 14, 1998 and denied solely because the VAWA self-petitioner was inadmissible due to an illegal entry into the U.S.may file a Motion to Reopen or Reconsider (Form I-290B).

That figures. The immigration lawyers and the abuse industry (shelters et cetera) have been lobbying Congress and the USCIS for years. The first thing they did in the late 90s was to centralize all these I-360s into one place and put them under the control of a staff that was hand picked to be liberal and feminist. I was told this by the retired District Director of the USCIS. It is about as rigged as the Republican GOP in Colorado is with the primary elections. I guy better be careful having a Hispanic girlfriend especially a live in one.

Offline mies

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: No Selection
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2016, 04:30:39 PM »
I need advice for a friend. Through my friends living in another state Oregon, I met their friend, a divorced Ukrainian woman that is in the legal process of getting her immigration papers, green card etc. Soon she will have to pay for a medical physical as well. Unfortunately she has no money for lawyers and physical exam so she must wait a very long time in line to complete the process. My friends and the UW live in a very small rural community with limited resources so she is unable to earn cash money until she is legal to find a regular job. Her current living situation is safe but very stifling and uncomfortable. So what does a divorced foreign bride typically do for money after she divorces an abusive husband while waiting to become a legal resident?  My friends and I discussed the idea of me putting her up at my place for a few months or more due to a better chance at earning some money in a larger city. I have spare rooms in my house that I do not use. At the very least she can attend a language and culture school here where I live. Eventually she would return back to Oregon because she loves the area and wants to eventually settle down there when all is said and done. So how can I help?

1) A person with a green card needs to report to INS any change in place of residence within 5 days or something like that. Since she doesn't have her residency, not clear to whom report the relocation. Can make the process messier.
2) Different states file their immigration documents to different INS offices. relocating to a different state during the application process may cause errors or delays in her case handling
3) Divorcing while living in a different state, and trying to prove DV charges - might be more difficult doing that from the distance. She won't be able to travel back and forth, too expensive for her.

4) - "place to live" - I would expect similar logic to apply to both refugees and domestic abuse victims: she can apply for a place in women's shelter now, may be difficult to do it after she spends few months in your house.
5)  technically she is still married. What do laws in Oregon say if the victim of domestic abuse co-habitates with another man during the divorce procedures? Is it OK? Can her ex use this fact against her in court?

I am not a lawyer, just applying common sense.
Living in the shelter is probably less comfortable than your home, but living in your home can create additional (and possibly even in-resolvable) obstacles in her immigration process. She may be not able to see things clearly at this moment, thus - can make poor decisions.

6) your Russian female friend may be gently trying to play a matchmaker. I do not think that the Ukrainian woman "does not know anything yet".
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 08:40:41 PM by mies »

Offline Chicagoguy

« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2016, 07:27:49 PM »
When you first lend someone money everything goes so well at first but when payment time comes it usually goes past with many excuses. Same with someone moving in. Goes well for a very short time but it is very difficult to end it. This even goes for relatives and friends from years ago.

Don't be in any hurry.

Offline Eximio

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2017, 01:05:03 PM »
It sounds like she has already accused her ex of domestic violence.  That means she called the police, they pulled him out of his house and put him in jail based on "mandatory arrest" rules forced on the police, and he is not fighting in court (or just giving up since he's assume guilty by this awful system). 

It's a very bad idea to assume a woman like this does innocent and ignorant.  Ukrainians are expert at figuring out a system and then scamming it.  All of them know about VAWA and how to use it to get what they want - permanent resident status in the US.  It is discussed in Russian forums and her friends in the US and even in Urkaine know how to game the VAWA system.  It is highly likely that this woman has gone down this path. 

There are plenty of men that find nice and loyal FSU women and have wonderful marriages.  The good ones are extremely loyal and will shower you in love.  But the bad ones can ruin your life.  Our own stupid government gave them all the tools they need, through VAWA, to destroy you, get your house, get your money, and ultimately they get what they want - US residency and money.

As others have said here, the best advice is to STAY CLEAR.  If you are interested in FSU women, go another route.  Go to an FSU country and search, with your eyes wide open.

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541379
Total Topics: 20862
Most Online Today: 1400
Most Online Ever: 12701