It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Travel back to Russia  (Read 5590 times)

Offline KenInUtah

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: 1 - 3
Travel back to Russia
« on: March 19, 2017, 06:54:21 PM »
Hey guys, long time no talk!  Moved into our new house in Vegas so its been busy around here!

My wife has a question...she needs to go back to Moscow to sell her apartment (I'm going with) and is worried about her "papers".  Obviously she still has her Russian passport but it is now in her maiden name.  Her GC is in her married name.  She is worried about getting out of Russia, if they give her a hard time about names on her documents

Also, how do you book tickets?  Everyone makes sure names on docs match the tickets but now with a different name to get into Russia than she has to get into the US, how do you do that?

Offline ML

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: > 10
Re: Travel back to Russia
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2017, 07:43:50 PM »
Bad move her adopting married name.
Females should always keep their unmarried name.
Particularly those who change countries, have passports from another country, have degrees from another country, have property in another country, etc.
And the problems all repeat upon divorce and remarriage.
A world of problems coming her way.

For more directed advice, go to VisaJourney.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline Steamer

• Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2017, 08:02:31 PM »
It seems that bringing the marriage cert. with her would clear up any problem.

This is why my wife hyphenated her last name after we were married.
Life ain't nothing but a poker game
And no two hands are quite the same
But I never saw a winner that didn't bet

Offline msmob

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 12:02:53 AM »
Hey guys, long time no talk!  Moved into our new house in Vegas so its been busy around here!

My wife has a question...she needs to go back to Moscow to sell her apartment (I'm going with) and is worried about her "papers".  Obviously she still has her Russian passport but it is now in her maiden name.  Her GC is in her married name.  She is worried about getting out of Russia, if they give her a hard time about names on her documents

Also, how do you book tickets?  Everyone makes sure names on docs match the tickets but now with a different name to get into Russia than she has to get into the US, how do you do that?

1/ I - personally - would recommend booking the tickets in the name on the passport

2/ Taking the marriage cert or a cert copy is wise

3/ We do not know your wife's age - none of our biz :) ..but it used to be a rule that at 45 the Russian INTERNAL 'passport' had to be updated and that was when it was a good moment to change the name in the International Passport'

4/ Be sure that your Wife registers that she has residency in a third nation within 14 days of arriving back in the Rodina - it is a legal requirement to notify that you have residency / another citizenship, now :(

5 / IF she decided to change her name in the passports - this might take 3/ 4 weeks and I would ask the question, " Will this names issue affect the sale of the property" and get the answer in writing - before you leave.  If she has a bank account there, still - presumably where the sale funds will - initially go - you'll need to be sure those details match up, too

Good luck

Offline tfcrew

• North Texas... Married 21 years
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2017, 09:07:30 PM »
Could...
1. Get a new passport
2. Use the marriage license esp if your going too.
3. pay some bribe $$$$
~There is no one more blind than those who refuse to see and none more deaf as those who will not listen~
~Think about the intelligence of the average person and then realize that half of the people are even more stupid than that~

Offline jone

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2017, 09:32:17 PM »
There are two different entities here:

1.  Arriving in Russia:  There the Russians have say-so as to who enters their country.  If her former passport is still valid, there will still be suspicion on what she is doing in the country.  Russia is very interested in native Russians going back to Russia these days.

2.  Leaving Russia:  The US controls who enters the US.  If she has her Green Card, she should have no problems.
Kissing girls is a goodness.  It beats the hell out of card games.  - Robert Heinlein

Offline BillyB

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2017, 10:31:03 PM »
Moved into our new house in Vegas so its been busy around here!

Why did you move to Vegas? Your profession is a gambler now? Took a lot of money to build that place. Vegas wasn't built by winners. Vegas is a great place to live if you don't have any bad habits. Call your airline about your situation and what you need to take. It is the airline's responsibility to get you in the country and out of the country successfully, not passport control. During a layover in Moscow once, Delta airlines took all our documents while waiting to board to check on them. I gave up my passport but some people resisted giving up their passports and green cards that were to be taken out of our sights.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline tfcrew

• North Texas... Married 21 years
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2017, 02:40:44 PM »
I gave up my passport but some people resisted giving up their passports and green cards that were to be taken out of our sights.

Never heard of such a thing.
That document isn't yours to just relinquish.
A passport is the property of the country that issued it.

If you don't get it back...How will you reenter your country?
My response would be...'if you really need the info...make a copy'.
Otherwise....lump it!

~There is no one more blind than those who refuse to see and none more deaf as those who will not listen~
~Think about the intelligence of the average person and then realize that half of the people are even more stupid than that~

Offline GQBlues

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2017, 02:57:01 PM »

I browsed the responses to your Q...and there seem to be one 'document' you need that isn't mentioned.

Advance Parole. Form I-131.

This should've been part of I-485 when you adjusted her status. She needs to have this with her, her GC and your marriage certificate.

She can use her name as it appears on her Russian passport. This is what will be in the airline tix.
She'll need those (US) documents when coming back to the US.

Read: http://www.uscis.gov/green-card/green-card-processes-and-procedures/travel-documents
Read: http://www.uscis.gov/i-131

« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 03:18:05 PM by GQBlues »
Quote from: msmob
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.
3. N95 mask will choke you dead after 30 min. of use.

Offline KenInUtah

• Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2017, 05:53:44 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought you only need "Advance Parole" while waiting for the GC.  She has her GC in hand.

Offline GQBlues

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2017, 08:00:29 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought you only need "Advance Parole" while waiting for the GC.  She has her GC in hand.

Ken-

I do not know what your particular date of engagements are, but it usually follows this path:

Fiancee status visa (90 days) -> Conditional (Temp) Green Card (2 years) -> Resident (Permanent) Green Card (2-3 years) -> Citizenship. Only after a person acquires the 'permanent' green card will he/she not be required to have the 'Advance Parole'.

Here's more info specifically addressing the need for AP: http://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/991/~/when-is-advance-parole-required-for-travel

There's a link in the page to ask additional question to your specific question.

You guys would know what she has in her possession at this time as I do not know what your corresponding time frames are.

The temporary GC will get punched once she transitions to permanent. Then, it will be asked to be returned once she acquires citizenship at her inauguration.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 11:22:22 PM by GQBlues »
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.

Offline BillyB

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2017, 09:25:36 PM »
If you don't get it back...How will you reenter your country?

How will you reenter your country if Delta Airlines loses passports and greencards? The question on Delta's minds were "How were their passengers to leave Russia if they don't do want Russian authorities are requesting?"
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline GQBlues

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2017, 12:04:48 AM »

Ken-

I just now asked wifey...when we filed I 485/I 131, she received employment authorization and AP in 45 days, the conditional GC 9 months from file date.

She went back to Russia 4 months after our wedding, 5 months before receiving her conditional GC, using only her AP/marriage certificate. The AP they gave her was good for one year from issue date, and was good for multiple entries.

The next time she flew back home was when she already had her permanent GC and no longer needed AP. The only thing I am not certain is if AP is required if you only have the conditional GC.

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541306
Total Topics: 20860
Most Online Today: 3934
Most Online Ever: 12701