It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Living in LA  (Read 2605 times)

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
  • Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Living in LA
« on: September 28, 2020, 04:15:49 PM »
Just out of interest I've wondered recently what it is like living in LA. Thought I would ask here as I know a few of you US guys would know more than me of the place. I went on holiday there about a decade or so ago. Went through nice parts but also happened to accidentally drive through a couple of parts that looked a bit gangsterish and a lot poorer. However looking online a lot of places seem outrageously expensive to buy, several hundred thousand dollars and onto the millions. Is this the normal standard house price out there? It seems like even small places cost several hundred thousand dollars. Kind of seems strange to me that virtually everyone has to be an almost millionaire to live there. Yet at the same time I see crime is quite high in some areas, surely its not millionaires turning to crime to buy their property lol. Would I be right in thinking that the poor areas are state housing? Are there any areas that are reasonable cheap in LA? Seems to be a huge city but full of expensive property.
"If you make your own bread, then and only then, are you a free man unchained and alive living in pooty tang paradise, or say no and live in Incel island with all the others." - Krimster

Offline GQBlues

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: None (yet)
Re: Living in LA
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2020, 04:43:41 PM »
TC-

At this time, the LA County price point for a single-family home is at $650,000.00 on average. This means, even with the current interest rate at the low 3% (to below it for 15 year loan), a person needs to at least have a salary of about $125,000.00. Assuming you have the required 20% downpayment, then your mortgage at $520,000.00 with the current (approx) IR, your payment is looking at about $2,500.00+ (not including insurance/PT. Probably another $7-800.00/mo). That's actually not bad considering the rental for such, on average, commands about $4,000.00/mo at least.

One bedroom for an apartment in Marina Del Rey today, on average, is at the high $3,000.00.

LA, by and large, as Johnny Carson once remarked, is a makeshift on tiny little cities and municipalities connected by 711s. The poor areas nestled neatly between high-priced districts.

I'd suggest going online and browse through each police or sheriff department's crime report during your speculative period. Rule of thumb, and while expensive, from Malibu to Long Beach, renting along the coastal areas grants you some superb living lifestyles, but rest assured, you won't be too far off from some rowdy niches and corners either.
Quote from: msmob
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.
3. N95 mask will choke you dead after 30 min. of use.

Offline BillyB

• Trips: > 10
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2020, 04:51:36 PM »

Trench, in America there are two women for every man and money grows on trees! My recommendation is if you plan to move to America, don't live in the cities. Much better places to live outside the city limits.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline msmob

• Spouse's Country: Russia
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2020, 05:21:07 PM »
Trench,

Buy 35' yacht and live aboard  in a Marina for c.$1500 month

http://marinadelreymarina.com/marina-slip-pricing/

Note: liveaboard pricing is plus 50 percent
« Last Edit: September 29, 2020, 01:16:18 AM by msmob »

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2020, 01:14:11 AM »
Trench,

Buy 35' yacht and live aboard  in a Marina for c.$1500 month

http://marinadelreymarina.com/marina-slip-pricing/

Note: liveaboard pring is plus 50 percent

That may not be a bar idea Mobers and if I got fed up off the place I could also moter off somewhere else lol.
"If you make your own bread, then and only then, are you a free man unchained and alive living in pooty tang paradise, or say no and live in Incel island with all the others." - Krimster

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2020, 01:19:59 AM »
TC-

At this time, the LA County price point for a single-family home is at $650,000.00 on average. This means, even with the current interest rate at the low 3% (to below it for 15 year loan), a person needs to at least have a salary of about $125,000.00. Assuming you have the required 20% downpayment, then your mortgage at $520,000.00 with the current (approx) IR, your payment is looking at about $2,500.00+ (not including insurance/PT. Probably another $7-800.00/mo). That's actually not bad considering the rental for such, on average, commands about $4,000.00/mo at least.

One bedroom for an apartment in Marina Del Rey today, on average, is at the high $3,000.00.

LA, by and large, as Johnny Carson once remarked, is a makeshift on tiny little cities and municipalities connected by 711s. The poor areas nestled neatly between high-priced districts.

I'd suggest going online and browse through each police or sheriff department's crime report during your speculative period. Rule of thumb, and while expensive, from Malibu to Long Beach, renting along the coastal areas grants you some superb living lifestyles, but rest assured, you won't be too far off from some rowdy niches and corners either.

Thanks GQ much appreciate the info it gives me a better idea of how things are there. I'm still a bit confused though, these poor areas, does the housing ever go up for sale there or is it all own by the state? i.e social housing, what we call in the UK/used to call Council housing.

Offline GQBlues

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2020, 04:39:07 AM »
Thanks GQ much appreciate the info it gives me a better idea of how things are there. I'm still a bit confused though, these poor areas, does the housing ever go up for sale there or is it all own by the state? i.e social housing, what we call in the UK/used to call Council housing.

We used to call those plots or communities as ‘projects’ which generally evolved to ‘ghettos’. There are also subsidized housings classified as ‘section 8’ housing. These are units within high priced homes designated for low income households. You could be paying $4,000.00/mo whereas your next door neighbor may be paying for a fraction of it, or even none at all.

These communities used to be blamed to what once used to be termed ‘white flight’. For example both the Watts district and Compton used to be an affluent, generally white communities back in the ‘50s. Then blacks begin living there. The ‘60s civil rights hastened that transition and white flights took off from those places and are now downtrodden and mostly crime ridden places.

There are also instances where the reverse happens. Venice is a good example of it.

Today, our state is advancing laws that actually promote discrimination. LMAO. We’re about to vote in what are termed propositions. Prop. 16 allows institutions to hire or accept anyone on the basis of their race, or the color of their skin instead of the merit of their character or qualifications. In some ways bringing back the silly affirmative action BS. Pandering to a targeted minority to further their obscurity in our society by silently classifying them as inferior, or instill victim mentality.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2020, 05:04:43 AM by GQBlues »
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2020, 07:45:19 AM »
We used to call those plots or communities as ‘projects’ which generally evolved to ‘ghettos’. There are also subsidized housings classified as ‘section 8’ housing. These are units within high priced homes designated for low income households. You could be paying $4,000.00/mo whereas your next door neighbor may be paying for a fraction of it, or even none at all.

These communities used to be blamed to what once used to be termed ‘white flight’. For example both the Watts district and Compton used to be an affluent, generally white communities back in the ‘50s. Then blacks begin living there. The ‘60s civil rights hastened that transition and white flights took off from those places and are now downtrodden and mostly crime ridden places.

There are also instances where the reverse happens. Venice is a good example of it.

Today, our state is advancing laws that actually promote discrimination. LMAO. We’re about to vote in what are termed propositions. Prop. 16 allows institutions to hire or accept anyone on the basis of their race, or the color of their skin instead of the merit of their character or qualifications. In some ways bringing back the silly affirmative action BS. Pandering to a targeted minority to further their obscurity in our society by silently classifying them as inferior, or instill victim mentality.

Ah that's interesting stuff GQ thanks for taking the time to explain it I appreciate it :) I'm not a fan of positive discrimination policies either and similar, I see them as unfairly penalising people who have usually no relationship to the reason for the positive discrimination. That and it blanket classes people regardless of their individual circumstance which could likely be very different from the ideas that policy makers think apply to a whole social group/race no matter who they are. So I'm guessing that those in the middle between rich and poor may potentially get squeezed out of the city as neither falling into either group in terms of being able to find housing?

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2020, 03:09:57 AM »

Trench, in America there are two women for every man and money grows on trees! My recommendation is if you plan to move to America, don't live in the cities. Much better places to live outside the city limits.

Yeah I see what you mean Billy, just looked up a place called Bakerfield a fair way out of LA but near a motorway into LA. Property prices seem a lot more reasonable there though probably worth paying a bit more to get something a bit more substantial. Guessing that it's a better bet to avoid getting prayed upon by those in the ghetto areas of LA. No doubt more civilized outside the big cities and scope to build a nice place even.

I don't know why but it's always been something in my mind that attracts me to LA. The immigration process is difficult for us Brits though so I think I would struggle to get in. From when I last looked into it about a decade or so ago having a fair bit of money to invest looked the most straightforward way.

Offline rwd123

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2020, 05:17:07 AM »
I like LA but would never live there. It's insane how much Venice has transformed over the past 30-40 years.

I understand state income tax is raising from 13.3% to 16.8%? No wonder many are moving, especially to states with 0% income tax.

Offline ML

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2020, 08:10:10 AM »

I understand state income tax is raising from 13.3% to 16.8%? No wonder many are moving, especially to states with 0% income tax.

To pay reparations to those who work in the cotton and tobacco fields.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline BillyB

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2020, 11:51:51 AM »
just looked up a place called Bakerfield a fair way out of LA but near a motorway into LA. Property prices seem a lot more reasonable there though probably worth paying a bit more to get something a bit more substantial. Guessing that it's a better bet to avoid getting prayed upon by those in the ghetto areas of LA. No doubt more civilized outside the big cities and scope to build a nice place even.

I've passed through Bakersfield a number of times. It's a major hub for agriculture. It's not a white collar city. Over 45% of the people there are Hispanic. You might meet up with some Latino girl. Some of them women got tempers but you may like a girl that rocks your world occasionally. If you find a job and immigration shows up, run. If they try to deport you to Mexico, tell them you're from East LA.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bakersfield,_California
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2020, 04:20:26 PM »
I've passed through Bakersfield a number of times. It's a major hub for agriculture. It's not a white collar city. Over 45% of the people there are Hispanic. You might meet up with some Latino girl. Some of them women got tempers but you may like a girl that rocks your world occasionally. If you find a job and immigration shows up, run. If they try to deport you to Mexico, tell them you're from East LA.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bakersfield,_California

That's a class idea Billy, I could join the ileegals as a fellow illegal :D If I got caught I would just have to hope they believe me when I say I'm not Hispanic and deport me to Mexico! Lol.

Offline Gator

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2020, 05:41:23 AM »

I don't know why but it's always been something in my mind that attracts me to LA.

California attracted me too.  So for my first job I moved from my New York grad school and worked for a California state agency in LA doing mathematical modeling of ground water.    The Army and Vietnam ended my job in a few months. 

In my brief time, the nature fascinated me.   Lifestyle too.  Dated a young woman and visited her at her parents' house in Palos Verdes.  Not a mansion - a modest 2 or 3-br rambler, but with an unbelievable view.  I asked about the prices and told myself I could buy one after the Army - the daydreams of a 22-yo. 

My younger son went to grad school at USC.  Years later, he still resides there trying to make it in the film business.  He really likes it.   

Offline GQBlues

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2020, 06:44:41 AM »
Yeah I see what you mean Billy, just looked up a place called Bakerfield a fair way out of LA but near a motorway into LA. Property prices seem a lot more reasonable there though probably worth paying a bit more to get something a bit more substantial. Guessing that it's a better bet to avoid getting prayed upon by those in the ghetto areas of LA. No doubt more civilized outside the big cities and scope to build a nice place even.

TC-

Bakersfield has one of the highest crime rate, not only in California, but the nation. Maybe not as bad as south side Chicago, but...further the main freeway that connects you to LA, we call I-5 (interstate 5), is seasonally notorious, it suffers shutdown through an area called The Grapevine.

There’s a few outskirt districts you can look into that’s not expensive and still relatively safe, and still be ‘in the city’. If you can’t transfer via employment, convince a friend. Otherwise network via social media and make good connections prior. There’s quite a bit of British folks living or working in LA.

Nutty OZ comes to mind and the lonesome prince, hahah.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2020, 06:46:59 AM by GQBlues »

Offline ML

« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2020, 06:55:29 AM »
I ended up in LA on an unusual assignment during my navy days as a young man.
On assignment at Lockheed Aircraft in Burbank with the Bureau of Naval Weapons.
We were buying planes, as well as repair parts and maintenance for existing planes.
Had a crew of about 10 officers, 10 enlisted and around 40 civil service.

Big impact on my life as I found out that I could go to Junior college for $18 a semester even not really being a resident of California.  They didn't check on anyone back then.
So stayed in California after enlistment over. 
Finished Junior college and then on to Cal State University for bachelors where tuition jumped really high to $68 per semester.

Was able to get job with a 'Big 8' CPA firm (down to Big 4 now), earn MBA at USC and become Controller and VP Finance, and buy my first house in very nice residential area called Sherman Oaks which is just over the hill from Beverly Hills.

Mostly a real 'rat race' to live and work there . . . but I probably could not have gotten the education and rapid career advancement in any other place in USA.

Wouldn't live there for any money in today's situation.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2020, 02:49:51 PM »
Ok, thank you for all your comments guys, I hear what you're saying, get in with a Hispanic chic drop anchor babies and train them up to be the next Selena Gomez. Soon I will have little Gomez's running around singing everywhere and I will be able to retire an live it up in a big posh mansion in LA, or if that fails I could just become a druglord and achieve the same ;D

Offline Lonestar

« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2020, 09:50:11 PM »
We just moved to Los Angeles area this year. Russian women and men all over the place.  Great for my wife as easy to meet people. 

In past 25 years moved 17 times from all over US, Europe, and South America.  I really like it here, as a lot to do, great restaurants (even with CVOID the weather is nice enough most restaurants open), cheap organic food, inexpensive private Christian schools (not much demand here for religious schools but there are a lot of private religious schools here), high house prices but cheap property taxes. State income tax will be tough as I will probably have to pay 17% this year as they raised the state income tax higher than 13% this year.  Gut feeling California will go to 20% state income tax rate in couple years and federal tax rate will be 39.6%.  But this might cause many upper mid class to lose their house and bring down housing costs here. By upper mid class the ones with the $2.5M houses here who live pay check to pay check.  3-5% increase in state taxes will cause many to sell their house. 

That being said if taxes get crazy here my role with this company I am at is to move its HQ to a more tech business friendly state area like South Florida or Austin Texas. 

My kids have been going to elementary school in person since 1st week of September.  Were currently on the border of Los Angeles County and in Ventura County.

Offline Gator

« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2020, 05:29:52 AM »
LOnestar,

Thanks for the perspective.

3-5% increase in state taxes will cause many to sell their house.

The question remains to whom do they sell their homes?

When you say 3-5% increase I assume you mean the rate will be raised that many points, which corresponds to a 25% increase in taxes. 

It is not just the state tax rate.  The Federal taxes will be increased too.  The progressive wish list of new initiatives can not be funded with taxes just on the wealthy; middle class must pay too in ways other than income tax.   Be prepared, even if your company relocates to FL or TX.   

My family resides in Tampa, Florida.  My RW wife prepares mostly organic food and has no trouble finding it here (Whole Foods and Costco nearby) Maybe California has more variety and independent stores.    She also finds some foods new to my diet such as goat and tongue, but I doubt they are organic.   

My "organic" wife still takes an occasional  break from organic food and dines on soul food (e. g., pork ribs at Big John's Alabama BBQ House).   Not sure the California BBQ places would match such quality.   

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 540999
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 1966
Total: 1977

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 07:00:25 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Brillynt
Today at 06:16:36 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:20:42 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:12:54 PM

Yesterday at 09:02:12 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 08:45:42 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 07:59:27 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 07:04:53 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 06:59:45 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 06:57:42 PM