It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Poll

I prefer using:

Agency
4 (21.1%)
Dating site
12 (63.2%)
Both
3 (15.8%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Author Topic: Agency vs Dating site  (Read 15316 times)

Offline RussianWind

Agency vs Dating site
« on: September 27, 2009, 04:01:59 AM »
I was suprised to find out on this forum that many men here prefer agency service rather than dating sites. Why?

I would never make myself to go to an agency to put my data in their glamorous catalogs and to be depended on them and feel like a horse on the market. So why do you prefer agencies instead of dating sites where you can find lot of interested English speaking girls and get their contacts immediately, isn't it easier?
It's your problem if you take my posts too seriously.

Offline remiel6

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 1 - 3
Re: Agency vs Dating site
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2009, 06:15:54 AM »
This is a difficult question. In fact I might disagree. In my experience I would say that most of the people here would suggest avoiding the agencies, or at the very least getting away from the agency as soon as possible. The question can be further complicated by the fact that you may log into a website, take RLM for example, and all your contacts is with them. The problem is that the lady doesn't deal with them at all. There is another agency in the local town whose name you don't know and when you travel you deal with them. Your experiences will be only as good as that agency is. Some of them are great and very helpful. Some of them deserve to be ran over by a semi and then back up and run over again for good measure. On the plus side, you know most of the girls at an agency are either a) trying to scam you or b) very serious about dating and marriage to a man not from the Ukraine. I think most men fall upon the agencies first because of accident or good advertising. Me I met my fiance thru an agency, that being said my best advice is to do what is comfortable for you, but by all means whatever route you go, READ THE TERMS YOU ARE AGREEING TO BEFORE YOU JOIN. There I got the legal things out  :) But I am serious. Especially if you are using an agency. Read the terms,  do the math figure out worst case scenario how much is this going to cost. Is this workable for you. If you find a good agency I would recommend it, the problem is you won't know they were good for you until after you spent the money.

Offline ECOCKS

• To those who deserve it, good luck.
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2009, 09:08:38 AM »
I agree that the MOB agency mentality is awkward for most to accept in this day  (instantaneous communicatons available, 48 hour travel to most anywhere in the FSU).

My method was to use the agency concept as a dating site for two main reasons.

First, a Russian/FSU agency saves the step of screening a pool of women in the region you expect to date and presents it in English to an English-speaking group. That may seem simple to some who say that some Russian sites offer up an option for women's profiles in English and you can just skip the ones in Russian if you have no Russian language skills. However, an agency site is presenting to a foreign group from the beginning and you don't have to worry/wonder if the woman is interested in dating foreigners if she has a profile there. The women who post there are aware they are presenting themselves to non-local men and are approaching this with an understanding that they are willing to leave their home countries for the right relationship. Also, there is the understanding that the contacts are from people who are intending to find long-term relationships rather than casual dating.

Second, a reputable agency which isn't trying to function as a come-on for letter fees, translators, apartment rentals, internet cam facility, car transport and travel services gives you the features of a dating site with a presentation which is directed more towards the long-term. Granted that a lot of the profiles seem to use the same catch phrases and are often too short to be meaningful, yet this is a criteria in itself for many (or at least for me). Those profiles do vary a bit and the variations can tell you a bit about whether the woman is opening herself up rather than just selecting cliches from a list.

So, I found the agency site I selected (EM) to be as good for my purposes as any of the dating sites and felt it met my needs in a way that a simple dating site would not have, particularly with regard to the language issue.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 07:35:23 PM by ECOCKS »
Pick and choose carefully among the advice offered and consider the source carefully. PM, Skype or email if you care to chat or discuss

Offline myrddin

• Every man dies, not every man really lives.
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2009, 09:24:41 AM »

I don't prefer agencies, though I happened to meet my lady through an agency (and while I did use agency terps, on the second meeting the owner suggested we didn't need a terp anymore).  I think she found a certain level of "protection" in having some people watching out for her.

If I were starting over, I'd concentrate more on web sites (dating and friendship networking). I wouldn't exclude agencies, though I'd certainly look for ones with a decent rep on this board, do a fair bit of background research.
"There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle." - Albert Einstein

Offline Misha

• Spouse's Country: Russia
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2009, 10:27:10 AM »
On the plus side, you know most of the girls at an agency are either a) trying to scam you or b) very serious about dating and marriage to a man not from the Ukraine.

Personally, I preferred looking for a woman who wanted a good husband as opposed to a foreign husband. However, here is a tip to anybody who is interested. Read women who are interested in finding a good husband, will rarely if ever have a profile solely on an agency site as there is no guarantee they will fill a husband there. Consequently, they will have a profile on a number of sites including free Russian dating sites. If you know her city (and it is not a megapolis such as Moscow, St. Petersburg or Kiev) and you know her age, you can search the mamba network and find a manageable number of women with her age in her city (a few dozen to a couple hundred). You can then go through them and I would estimate that 9 times out of 10, you will find her there. That way, you will know that she is open to the possibility of a foreign man and you can contact her directly. It is a win-win situation that costs the guy absolutely nothing other than a bit of time.

Offline SANDRO43

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2009, 03:30:29 PM »
:offtopic:
Myrddin, your new avatar is getting historically closer to your nick now, but you should chose something Welsh rather than Scottish ;D.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 03:37:54 PM by SANDRO43 »
Milan's "Duomo"

Offline XMan

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2009, 07:13:52 PM »
Most men who start down this road have no experience with the FSU. 

Agencies are easier. 

As Ecocks said, English-to-English communication and also other services reduce the fear factor of traveling to a country where most men cannot speak the language, have difficulty navigating, etc.  A heck of a lot of things can go wrong.  There's a level of comfort in having an agency, assuming they are not scam scum. 

Even after trips to both Russia and Ukraine, and a some improvement in my awful Russian language ability, going to another city I haven't traveled to before presents new challenges.  Finding an apartment (and not getting bait and switched), travel issues, etc., etc. 

The agency wants your cash.  That's their reason for existence.  If they have a clue and are helpful they may get repeat and/or additional referral business.  If they are any good, then there is value for the money spent. 

Doing the solo gig, and wading through who knows how many real or unreal profiles to try to find someone serious about meeting a foreigner, is much more of a challenge for too many reasons to even list.  With reputable agencies at least it is (hopefully) somewhat narrowed down, and you get some decent service as well.

Offline elliott

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2009, 06:56:28 PM »
a Russian/FSU agency saves the step of screening a pool of women in the region you expect to date and presents it in English to an English-speaking group.

Quote from: XMan
Most men who start down this road have no experience with the FSU.

Agencies are easier.

Exactly.

Having a profile at singles.ru and being a non-paying member at EM, I'd have to say that EM gives a guy/gal a better chance at finding someone serious.  It has women that will look outside of their location for a date, across city limits, across national borders, even across oceans.  However, the couple of domestic dating sites that I've joined in the past had women that only wanted to date someone within fifty or a hundred miles.  I think this is also a problem present at singles.ru, evidenced by the fact that I've sent out upwards of thirty messages to women all over the USA and nary a response has come back (maybe it's me  :noidea:.)  Regardless, I concur with the opinion that good agencies make things easier, but I also think that, once the initial visit is made, one should wean oneself away from the agency[ies] and continue the quest within one's power/ability to do so.
Never take a laxative and a sleeping pill together.

Offline JR

• Hey, what do I know?
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2009, 08:10:33 PM »
I was suprised to find out on this forum that many men here prefer agency service rather than dating sites. Why?

I would never make myself to go to an agency to put my data in their glamorous catalogs and to be depended on them and feel like a horse on the market. So why do you prefer agencies instead of dating sites where you can find lot of interested English speaking girls and get their contacts immediately, isn't it easier?

When you go to an agency you can simply wave your Platnim Visa card around, buy the women you want and be done with it. On a dating site you actually have to put forth effort.

I'm surprised you didn't know this Windy-Girly :)
Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of somebody else :)

Offline Misha

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2009, 10:17:08 PM »
I think this is also a problem present at singles.ru, evidenced by the fact that I've sent out upwards of thirty messages to women all over the USA and nary a response has come back (maybe it's me  :noidea:.) 

Thirty? I sent out thousands of messages, chatted briefly with at least a hundred women, met a couple dozen for at least a quick coffee, before finding the right woman on singles.ru. She wasn't looking for a foreigner, yet knew right away that I was the man she wanted and moved with me to Canada. Finding the one takes a lot of time and effort.

Offline RussianWind

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2009, 02:28:53 AM »
She wasn't looking for a foreigner,

And that is why you made a set on her  :)

Offline Misha

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2009, 07:05:10 AM »
And that is why you made a set on her  :)

Made a set? Sorry, did not quite understand what you meant. However, the one advantage is that I knew that she was not simply looking to find any foreigner simply to leave Russia and get a new passport  :evil:

Offline Vaughn

• Trips: No Selection
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2009, 07:28:26 AM »
When you go to an agency you can simply wave your Platnim Visa card around, buy the women you want and be done with it. On a dating site you actually have to put forth effort.

LMAO! It tickles me how folks actually believe the effortless angle, like an amazon catalogue purchase.

Gator has posted elsewhere the merits of agencies - for some like us, it makes perfect sense to cut to
the chase and locate women who have an international relationship in mind. The important effort comes
beyond that - time spent together acquainting. Yeah, there may be some men with an Add To Cart attitude,
but for me, I had no desire to wade through thousands of profiles - which, as illustrated here many times
by guys like Misha - can have its lifelong rewards.

I've noticed on Russian language dating sites, practically none of its participants are seeking to move at all,
much less abroad. It's all about the search method with which one feels comfortable.  

« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 07:30:14 AM by Vaughn »

Offline elliott

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2009, 10:47:03 AM »
Finding the
one...
That isn't a high priority of mine, right now.  My 'zero-replies' record is admittedly pathetic.  I'd settle for just a random, intelligent conversation.  You were very diligent in your search, and I respect that.
Never take a laxative and a sleeping pill together.

Offline RussianWind

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2009, 11:08:16 AM »
Made a set?

Hoped you would understand, sorry Misha my English is far from being perfect  :wallbash:

A dead-set, it is a hunting terminology when a dog sees a bird and makes a special standing, no moving no breathing.

I thought it was a good comparrison for kidding you friendly

;)

Offline Misha

« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2009, 11:53:26 AM »
I thought it was a good comparrison for kidding you friendly

;)

Now I get it :) Thank you. Yes, as a good hunting dog, I did understand that when you find what you are looking for, you do not continue scouring the woods  ;)

Offline SANDRO43

« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2009, 03:25:20 PM »
A dead-set, it is a hunting terminology when a dog sees a bird and makes a special standing, no moving no breathing.
Isn't that on point, rather?

Milan's "Duomo"

Offline RussianWind

« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2009, 04:19:33 PM »
Sandro, you know answers on all questions. Is there anything you don't know?  ;)

Offline SANDRO43

« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2009, 04:46:57 PM »
Sandro, you know answers on all questions. Is there anything you don't know?  ;)
I'm a bit weak in botany - always some difficulty in remembering the difference between Gymnospermae and Angiospermae :(. My friends call me Treccani (http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treccani) ;D

Milan's "Duomo"

Online Faux Pas

« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2009, 07:48:58 PM »

I've never seen SANDRO express his knowledge on Noodling but he likely has some  :D

Offline JR

• Hey, what do I know?
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2009, 08:28:00 PM »

for kidding you friendly

Stop being friendly.

Start being ferocious! :)
Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of somebody else :)

Offline RussianWind

« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2009, 04:13:38 AM »
Stop being friendly.

Start being ferocious! :)

Only try to say: "ñòàíü ìîåé ñåêñ-ðàáûíåé", I will show how ferocious I can be!  :evil:

Offline SANDRO43

« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2009, 05:18:07 AM »
I've never seen SANDRO express his knowledge on Noodling but he likely has some  :D
Very limited, I find fishing boring 8), and catfish unappealing ;). Noodles, on the other hand, are more to my taste.
Milan's "Duomo"

Offline JR

• Hey, what do I know?
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2009, 07:27:06 PM »
Only try to say: "ñòàíü ìîåé ñåêñ-ðàáûíåé", I will show how ferocious I can be!  :evil:

Should I start shaking in my boots now? Are you going to kick my arse with your sambo or chase me down the street with a Kalishnikov?

Hmmmmm, which is it going to be?

Offline OlgaH

« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2009, 07:31:38 PM »
Hmmmmm, which is it going to be?

I guess Russian way  ;D

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 540997
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 9
Guests: 1958
Total: 1967

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:20:42 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:12:54 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:02:12 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 08:45:42 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 07:59:27 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 07:04:53 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 06:59:45 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 06:57:42 PM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 06:36:52 PM

Re: Twenty Years... and Counting (MarkInTx Update) by supranatural
Yesterday at 03:02:29 PM