It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Starting and Running a Business in the Republic of Georgia, Batumi  (Read 84444 times)

goldenstone

Re: Starting and Running a Business in the Republic of Georgia, Batumi
« Reply #325 on: August 21, 2020, 08:27:39 AM »

I'm hearing you. I love the stuff!
Your food looks nice. I would checkin for sure weekly in Batumi given the pricing and the pictures posted.
Maybe you could grow/let grow by someone some avocado close to Batumi (either outdoors or with a growhouse approach) and over time source your own organic made avocado next door? After all the soil is quite good in Georgia and water is plentiful. Just as an idea as I was looking into farming stuff last year.
I guess a missing guacamole will not be deal breaker there as were not talking about NYC or London with cut-throat competition.

From wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avocado
The subtropical species needs a climate without frost and with little wind. High winds reduce the humidity, dehydrate the flowers, and affect pollination. When even a mild frost occurs, premature fruit drop may occur, although the 'Hass' cultivar can tolerate temperatures down to −1 °C. Several cold-hardy varieties are planted in the region of Gainesville, Florida, which survive temperatures as low as −6.5 °C (20 °F) with only minor leaf damage. The trees also need well-aerated soils, ideally more than 1 m deep.

I would however look into halal procedures due to Turks/middle eastern folks coming for vacation.

Georgia v Armenia ..

No contest ..

One is trying to look to the west, t'other is still VERY reliant on mother Russia for physical protection and much more corrupt

Agreed, regarding the lifestyle and the overall feeling I would opt for Georgia every day.

But the much much lower requirements for visa make up for that.
Georgia 100k US$ real estate investment or 50k Lari yearly biz income to employ one foreigner is very steep given the sandwich position it is in. Last year they increased the requirements and I ended up missing the deadline for the much lower limits.
I personally don't have an issue with protection from mother russia if this is clearly set out than an internal divide and also corruption can be dealt with. You need to find the one trustworthy person and take it from there as this will make or break your venture in corrupt places and it depends on a lot of factors how well that goes to expand further. 
Also I don't see a look towards west and eu as much of a benefit any more, and sadly so I might add.

I still hope Georgia lowers again the requirements or some back and forth from Armenia will be possible in the post-apocalyptic future.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 08:39:12 AM by goldenstone »

Offline msmob

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #326 on: August 21, 2020, 08:50:22 AM »
I don't know about Maxx, but making a GE firm is a doddle and residency, thereafter

I wonder if you have checked the benefits of GE being close to the EU given tariff rates ( if at all )    One can import from China at zero tariffs on many goods

It's an excellent halfway house and more professional than AM

You'll defo need to speak RU in AM, more sub 40's folk speak EN in GE

Offline Maxx2

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #327 on: August 21, 2020, 11:38:35 AM »
Y
Georgia 100k US$ real estate investment or 50k Lari yearly biz income to employ one foreigner is very steep given the sandwich position it is in. Last year they increased the requirements and I ended up missing the deadline for the much lower limits.

I still hope Georgia lowers again the requirements or some back and forth from Armenia will be possible in the post-apocalyptic future.

50K in Lari as about 16K in USD. Here in Georgia they count gross revenue to be taxed. As an official "individual entrepreneur" I will pay 1% tax on every Lari that get runs through my little machine. It has been suggested to me to run my own money through this machine, accept the 1% tax and get the benefit. My employee Larissa is aware of the minimum income requirement and is motivated to get me qualified to have her get a work visa. I have my retirement income that might get me into the ballpark.  What galls me is raising an income requirement when the government has devastate the economy with its restrictions. They need every tax revenue they can get! 

Offline BillyB

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
« Reply #328 on: August 21, 2020, 04:56:42 PM »
I don't really like those punchcards like 'buy 10 get one free' stuff, but a coupon with a freebie next visit when folks pay their bill is a nice gesture. 

Punch cards are nice but with a pre-seniors discount, veterans discount, friends and family discount, and coupons stacked on top of each other, Maxx will owe me money when I eat there.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline Confederate

• Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #329 on: August 21, 2020, 09:02:20 PM »
For me personally, it's hard to imagine Mexican food without guacamole

Although I really like guacamole it's not a dealbreaker.

Locally I often get a burrito at Burrito Amigos without guac but with sour cream.

When in California I like restaurants like this which has some great photos, consistent high ratings and still reasonable prices.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g33045-d8484672-Reviews-East_Beach_Tacos-Santa_Barbara_California.html
War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength.
George Orwell 1984

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #330 on: August 21, 2020, 11:21:26 PM »
Although I really like guacamole it's not a dealbreaker.

Locally I often get a burrito at Burrito Amigos without guac but with sour cream.

When in California I like restaurants like this which has some great photos, consistent high ratings and still reasonable prices.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g33045-d8484672-Reviews-East_Beach_Tacos-Santa_Barbara_California.html

Last night I stopped by "The Cork" the Irish bar. Between this business and mine is an Indian restaurant. The owner Lovedeep Singn served me chicken chili. Nothing like the chili we have back home. Tasted pretty good. The manager of The Cork, Zahara from the UAE wants us to serve our dishes as well.

Larissa has the day off today. She is with friends in Kobaleti, the first city north of Batumi. She will be back tomorrow Sunday to start work again. 

Offline msmob

« Reply #331 on: August 22, 2020, 02:13:34 AM »
Ireland is well known for it's links to Mexico ....  ;)

Good to see friendly cooperation between biz'

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #332 on: August 22, 2020, 05:49:47 AM »

Last Sunday Larissa called me. She want to have me take her for a drive in the mountains. Every week she usually goes for a long walk in the mountains East of Batumi. She told me it is inevitable she will be invited over by a Georgian family for a meal. Georgians are well known for their hospitality. Guests are considered as gifts from God. As I am writing this paragraph my former landlord stopped by and invited me over to his house for dinner.

We drove to this village along the Chorokhi river up in the mountains. Larissa had been there before as had I. She had gotten there by marsuka. With my car we could explore around to some areas marsukas don't visit. There was this sign that said a waterfall was 15.5 kilometers down a two lane narrow road. So we made that out destination.

On the way back a Georgian man approached us and asked up to join his family for dinner. They were sitting in these little huts that are built for that. At first I declined but he insisted.

The food was great! I declined the offered wine and cha cha as I was driving. Nice friendly people!

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #333 on: August 22, 2020, 05:52:54 AM »
Ireland is well known for it's links to Mexico ....  ;)

Good to see friendly cooperation between biz'

Zahara the manager of The Cork is hoping my business will bring in more expat visitors and that will benefit them as well.

goldenstone

« Reply #334 on: August 22, 2020, 06:41:25 AM »

50K in Lari as about 16K in USD. Here in Georgia they count gross revenue to be taxed. As an official "individual entrepreneur" I will pay 1% tax on every Lari that get runs through my little machine. It has been suggested to me to run my own money through this machine, accept the 1% tax and get the benefit. My employee Larissa is aware of the minimum income requirement and is motivated to get me qualified to have her get a work visa. I have my retirement income that might get me into the ballpark.  What galls me is raising an income requirement when the government has devastate the economy with its restrictions. They need every tax revenue they can get!

Right. You have a pension. You can run your pension thru it and pay tax on the amount which you have to pay yourself as salary and hence spare yourself an Armenian solution ;)
I don't remember, Is Larissa Georgian? If not, you need twice this amount. But anyhow best thing is to look with a good lawyer who knows these things and how difficulties can be dealt with.

http://psh.gov.ge/main/page/6/507

I don't know about Maxx, but making a GE firm is a doddle and residency, thereafter

I wonder if you have checked the benefits of GE being close to the EU given tariff rates ( if at all )    One can import from China at zero tariffs on many goods

It's an excellent halfway house and more professional than AM

You'll defo need to speak RU in AM, more sub 40's folk speak EN in GE

Yes, it used to be until mid 2019 but not any more. I also heard they got stricter with the banks.
However they might reverse action and ease again due to the big mess in 2020.

True. With English you can get around quite well in GE as long as it is on marked territory.
I would prefer however being able to run around somewhat off the beaten path in Georgia as well and then English will not cut it any more. And I would learn Russian over Georgian any day due to being able to use it in many other places, even though kartuli has an awesome script.  :)

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #335 on: August 22, 2020, 07:21:00 AM »

I don't remember, Is Larissa Georgian? If not, you need twice this amount. But anyhow best thing is to look with a good lawyer who knows these things and how difficulties can be dealt with.

She is South African. Last November she was doing a visa run through Sarpi on the Georgian and Turkish border 15 miles south of here. The Georgian side stopped her and did a taped recording that next time she would not be let back in unless she could show proof of trying to get residency or some sort of legalization. Then a few weeks ago her South African ambassador posted on the SA Facebook page for SAs living in Georgia that they better get their residency situation straightened out and not wait until the last minute. The Georgia government due to the lockdown of the borders has given expats with expired visas until December 31st before they need to leave the country. Did they think what is going to happen with thousands of expats needing to leave on January 1st?? Fortunately for me I did my border run March 23rd the day before they shut the border. So I've got 360 days from then or March 18th 2021 to get my house or rather business in order. That is 7 months from now. I heard business visas are judged on 6 months performance. I am cutting it close.

BTW Goldstone, welcome to the forum.

Offline msmob

« Reply #336 on: August 22, 2020, 07:24:28 AM »

Yes, it used to be until mid 2019 but not any more. I also heard they got stricter with the banks.

I helped two Russians open bank account with the Bank of Georgia in late 2019, without issue...

IF you are indulging in commerce and dealing with govt, English is increasingly prevalent..   Russian is the preserve of those schooled in Former Soviet times

Offline BillyB

« Reply #337 on: August 22, 2020, 09:46:01 AM »
The manager of The Cork, Zahara from the UAE wants us to serve our dishes as well.

How's that going to work Maxx? He'll put your dishes on his menu, you cook it and run it over to his restaurant? That wouldn't look good in front of the diners. The other option is to teach his cooks out to make your dishes. You're in the business of making money. Don't make more competition for yourself. Don't give away your trade secrets no matter how nice they are to you.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

goldenstone

« Reply #338 on: August 22, 2020, 11:25:23 AM »

She is South African. Last November she was doing a visa run through Sarpi on the Georgian and Turkish border 15 miles south of here. The Georgian side stopped her and did a taped recording that next time she would not be let back in unless she could show proof of trying to get residency or some sort of legalization. Then a few weeks ago her South African ambassador posted on the SA Facebook page for SAs living in Georgia that they better get their residency situation straightened out and not wait until the last minute. The Georgia government due to the lockdown of the borders has given expats with expired visas until December 31st before they need to leave the country. Did they think what is going to happen with thousands of expats needing to leave on January 1st?? Fortunately for me I did my border run March 23rd the day before they shut the border. So I've got 360 days from then or March 18th 2021 to get my house or rather business in order. That is 7 months from now. I heard business visas are judged on 6 months performance. I am cutting it close.

BTW Goldstone, welcome to the forum.

Thanks  :) :clapping: It is a nice forum so far without much hassle. I found it when I was searching for Batumi the other day.

Harsh treatment but at least there was a warning and not a straight up ban.
I think you being from US should pose not much of a problem as well as for all EU members. I even could envision they keep the 365 days open as being stated by other members GE keeps itself open for the west. EU members can also enter with id cards only. However, SA is a tough nut as it falls into the African category which gets the strict treatment.

I helped two Russians open bank account with the Bank of Georgia in late 2019, without issue...

IF you are indulging in commerce and dealing with govt, English is increasingly prevalent..   Russian is the preserve of those schooled in Former Soviet times

The bank thing is only this year being made more difficult maybe because GE agreed to joins crs in 2023.

How's that going to work Maxx? He'll put your dishes on his menu, you cook it and run it over to his restaurant? That wouldn't look good in front of the diners. The other option is to teach his cooks out to make your dishes. You're in the business of making money. Don't make more competition for yourself. Don't give away your trade secrets no matter how nice they are to you.

Thats not that uncommon in emerging markets. A delivery dude comes in the kitchen and after some minutes the food is served to the customer without even noticing that the food came from another kitchen.
I would not teach trade secrets to other cooks at all.

Offline msmob

« Reply #339 on: August 23, 2020, 09:53:20 AM »

The bank thing is only this year being made more difficult maybe because GE agreed to joins crs in 2023. 

We see no evidence of same .. ( ( pre covid ) While I was helping my Russians, we saw folks from BY and RU opening bank accounts

goldenstone

« Reply #340 on: August 23, 2020, 11:25:23 AM »
We see no evidence of same .. ( ( pre covid ) While I was helping my Russians, we saw folks from BY and RU opening bank accounts

Ok. That is even better. I am luckily already set in that regard.

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #341 on: August 24, 2020, 12:57:12 AM »

I'll tell you how it is working for the Indian restaurant who between my place and the Irish bar.

The Indian restaurant has a printed on both sides menu. At the Irish bar they leave it with you. The order is taken by one of the Indian restaurant employees or by the owner of the Indian restaurant. The food is prepared, put on a tray along with a plate, flatware and some napkins and delivered to your table. Later after finishing they bring a little wooden box with the check in it. Simple as that.

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #342 on: August 24, 2020, 01:19:23 AM »
Thanks  :) :clapping: It is a nice forum so far without much hassle. I found it when I was searching for Batumi the other day.

SA is a tough nut as it falls into the African category which gets the strict treatment.

She tried to apply for refugee status but she needed a specific case or something specific that happened to her in order to get it. The Georgian government does not want to offend the SA government. There are a lot of White SAs living here. I've have entertained and dined a number of them.

The banks are getting more strict. A few years ago, 2017 I got a Bank of Georgia bank account. Easy no problem. July 3rd this year I wanted to transfer money in USD to my landlord at his bank TBC. I was told I had to register to do so. It took 3 hours of computer checking. My passport shown of course. The final bit of scary was made to sign a U.S.A. IRS W9 form that was to be sent to the US government. I said at the point I didn't want to register. I was told it was too late as I was already entered into their system. Everything is getting more and more restrictive. I sometime wonder if the politicians will completely strangle the economy with new requirements. Covid19 really gave them an excuse to do what ever they want.

goldenstone

« Reply #343 on: August 24, 2020, 06:08:34 AM »

She tried to apply for refugee status but she needed a specific case or something specific that happened to her in order to get it. The Georgian government does not want to offend the SA government. There are a lot of White SAs living here. I've have entertained and dined a number of them.

The banks are getting more strict. A few years ago, 2017 I got a Bank of Georgia bank account. Easy no problem. July 3rd this year I wanted to transfer money in USD to my landlord at his bank TBC. I was told I had to register to do so. It took 3 hours of computer checking. My passport shown of course. The final bit of scary was made to sign a U.S.A. IRS W9 form that was to be sent to the US government. I said at the point I didn't want to register. I was told it was too late as I was already entered into their system. Everything is getting more and more restrictive. I sometime wonder if the politicians will completely strangle the economy with new requirements. Covid19 really gave them an excuse to do what ever they want.

Sending usd is very problematic (especially internationally) not only in GE but basically every bank fears of getting cut off from it and it requires a strict set of requirements than sending other currencies. I would always convert to lari first, send this and the receiver convert back if he wanna do so, or send gbp/eur which also can be done with BoG.

Yeah, I also noticed the presence of SA people. I was quite surprised and also met some in Tbilisi by chance.
I heard rumors that Russia is more open to white SA people (farmers?) and also give them refugee status. But SA is not a country I know much about.

However it is surprising to me as I did not suspect GE and SA to be so aligned but maybe GE gov is ballsdeep into pleasing about anyone and their dog or they got a lot of imf bailout money and now can do the economy what they want?

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #344 on: August 24, 2020, 09:51:48 AM »
maybe GE gov is ballsdeep into pleasing about anyone and their dog or they got a lot of imf bailout money and now can do the economy what they want?

I mentioned this at an expats' diner and it really got a response. We worry the Georgian government is too eager to please the EU. On the Georgian website GeorgiaToday.ge they talk about all the IMF, World Bank et cetera money they are getting to ride out the China virus covid19 crisis. Strings attached of course. As Bible says, "The debtor is the lender's slave." 

Offline msmob

« Reply #345 on: August 24, 2020, 11:08:42 AM »
Georgia wants to be a westernised democracy and free of Moscow's shadow.

It manages to be perfectly friendly with all it's other neighbours and has not a few ethnicities quietly going about their biz'..

After an 'interesting  day' dealing with French institutions run by inflexible Russians ( none of whom want to own mistakes or apologise)  I will take GE anyway.. That is why we married there..

Totally, recommend that.

Offline BillyB

« Reply #346 on: August 24, 2020, 03:48:59 PM »

I mentioned this at an expats' diner and it really got a response. We worry the Georgian government is too eager to please the EU. On the Georgian website GeorgiaToday.ge they talk about all the IMF, World Bank et cetera money they are getting to ride out the China virus covid19 crisis. Strings attached of course. As Bible says, "The debtor is the lender's slave."

About 3-4 months ago, no less than 90 nations applied for COVID related loans at the IMF. America increased their contribution to the IMF to make loans. You might see more greenbacks floating around in Georgia.

goldenstone

« Reply #347 on: August 25, 2020, 09:21:16 AM »

Good points.
It is also something I pondered a lot about. Although most people in eu don't know much about GE so it is hard to throw this topic in your normal conversations.
If they are really hellbent on pleasing the eu, they will need to implement quite a few things and in the end the eu still will not let them join. I can't see this strategy yielding much actually unless Turkey and Armenia and maybe Azerbaijan will also join and GE not being the only eu member in the caucasus.

But maybe to circle back to a nicer topic, any news on the restaurant front?

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #348 on: August 25, 2020, 11:25:45 PM »
Good points.

any news on the restaurant front?

Plodding forward step by step

First a few food photos because that is what it is all about.

Getting tables and chairs was/is one of my larger expenses. But we are finding some pretty good deals on new furniture.

I got 3 narrow tables custom made for sitting outside. They can't be too wide as that would restrict pedestrians so says the city.

I paid 150 Lari ($48.23) each which Larissa says I paid too much.

We got these 6 sturdy made-well wooden chairs for 230 Lari ($73.95) or $12.32 each. The tables are 50 centimeters wide and the chairs fit under them perfectly. 

Larisa said we needed a cabinet to store our dishes and flatware. So we got this. Cost, 150 Lari ($48.23)

We got 6 more chairs. Cost 210 Lari ($67.52) for 6 or $11.25 each.

We found people LOVE taking selfies with our hats.

Two South African refugees.

So yesterday we got a large 100 centimetre by 180 mirror installed on our wall. Cost, 135 Lari ($43.40) delivered and installed.

We got a Clint Eastwood hat from 'the Good the Bad and the Ugly', a ridiculously large cowboy hat and 2 sombreros. Got another cowboy hat on the way and two more sombreros.

Can't find aprons anywhere. Larissa is having two custom made at 10 Lari ($3.21) each.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2020, 11:29:04 PM by Maxx2 »

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #349 on: August 26, 2020, 10:13:49 AM »
http://georgiatoday.ge/news/22189/Foreigners-Seeking-to-Work-from-Georgia-must-be-Waged-at-Least-%24-2%2C000-Per-Month

Foreigners Seeking to Work from Georgia Must Earn at Least $ 2,000 Per Month

After the Georgian government’s authorization, foreigners aspiring to work from Georgia will be officially qualified to fill out an electronic form.
The mandate was signed by the Economy Minister Natia Turnava and Foreign Minister Davit Zalkaliani, giving foreigners an opportunity to work distantly from Georgia.  Permission will be granted to foreign citizens from the Ministries of Economy and Foreign Affairs.
While filling out the forms, the foreigner should upload the following documents in English:
    • A copy of passport;Personal information (name, surname, personal number, address);Contact details of the foreign employer;Information about the job position and income that should be at least $2,000 per month;Consent to enter mandatory 12-day quarantine as well as consent to undergo PCR testing at their own expense;Mandatory health insurance, valid for at least six months.
    [/list]The application is to be reviewed within 10 working days.

The monthly gross income of Georgia is $403. An expat or a prospective expat wanting to work in Georgia... and pay taxes must earn 5 times as much.

+-RWD Stats

Members
    Total Members: 8883
    Latest: Leroy14
    New This Month: 1
    New This Week: 0
    New Today: 0
    Stats
    Total Posts: 541017
    Total Topics: 20849
    Most Online Today: 2385
    Most Online Ever: 12701
    (January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
    Users Online
    Members: 11
    Guests: 2259
    Total: 2270

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
    Yesterday at 09:57:04 PM

Re: Plumber earnings by Trenchcoat
    Yesterday at 09:37:55 PM

Plumber earnings by ML
    Yesterday at 07:49:26 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
    Yesterday at 07:23:34 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
    Yesterday at 06:28:48 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by 2tallbill
    Yesterday at 04:48:07 PM

Re: What to do by krimster2
    Yesterday at 04:37:18 PM

If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
    Yesterday at 04:17:08 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
    Yesterday at 02:48:08 PM

Re: What to do by krimster2
    Yesterday at 01:09:03 PM