It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Coronavirus, how are you preparing for it and how it is affecting you so far?  (Read 439820 times)

Offline Boethius

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: No Selection

Well duh.

I was referring to this -

that means a Mortality rate of about a third in Italy and around a half in South Korea.

This post was composed without the aid of google.
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Online krimster2

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: Resident
I predict that in a couple of years, there will be “plague houses”
houses where one or more people were found dead inside from covid-19 or covid-21
that are un-lived in, and on the market for a REALLY low price...

savvy buyers, can snap these up, and call in a forensic cleaning crew
and they’ll be the ones who will “clean-up” when they sell ‘em later for double!!

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
  • Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Well duh.

I was referring to this -

This post was composed without the aid of google.

Well yes Boe it is. How does looking at figures of those with the virus that haven't yet either recovered or died help? The jury is still out on them surely ;)
"If you make your own bread, then and only then, are you a free man unchained and alive living in pooty tang paradise, or say no and live in Incel island with all the others." - Krimster

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
houses where one or more people were found dead inside from covid-19 or covid-21

and they’ll be the ones who will “clean-up” when they sell ‘em later for double!!

...and just think of what this is doing for the Environment Krim, hardly any pollution from plane travel or factories, Greta Thunberg will be thrilled :D
"If you make your own bread, then and only then, are you a free man unchained and alive living in pooty tang paradise, or say no and live in Incel island with all the others." - Krimster

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
Keeping the economy going may be key for government & business, but for the individual keeping the money rolling in might be paramount also:

http://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2020/03/07/world/asia/china-coronavirus-cost.amp.html

Not many can go long without money, some such as pensioners get it through their pension so may be able to isolate for long periods. Most workers will likely need to keep on working as they can be hand to mouth from month to month. Benefit claimants only need to see the Jobcentre once or twice a week, or maybe it can be done online. They will be able to isolate a lot as well, theoretically but many probably will lack the willpower to keep it up execept those Xboxers among them.

The workers most at risk at the moment are probably those that work in a Supermarket. I feel sorry for them as they are in contact with large numbers of the general public without any protection as yet. It's why if it's going to be a long term thing then I can see it changing to a more warehouse to conveyor belt to customer waiting setup.

Offline msmob

• Trips: > 10
Well yes Boe it is. How does looking at figures of those with the virus that haven't yet either recovered or died help? The jury is still out on them surely ;)

Which 'jury' ?  The SillyBillyB 'school of stats'?!

I SERIOUSLY hope you never serve on any Jury ... 

Offline calmissile

Keeping the economy going may be key for government & business, but for the individual keeping the money rolling in might be paramount also:

http://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2020/03/07/world/asia/china-coronavirus-cost.amp.html

Not many can go long without money, some such as pensioners get it through their pension so may be able to isolate for long periods. Most workers will likely need to keep on working as they can be hand to mouth from month to month. Benefit claimants only need to see the Jobcentre once or twice a week, or maybe it can be done online. They will be able to isolate a lot as well, theoretically but many probably will lack the willpower to keep it up execept those Xboxers among them.

The workers most at risk at the moment are probably those that work in a Supermarket. I feel sorry for them as they are in contact with large numbers of the general public without any protection as yet. It's why if it's going to be a long term thing then I can see it changing to a more warehouse to conveyor belt to customer waiting setup.

Trench, your correct in highlighting these risks to workers (and customrs).  Having to deal with the general public is an increased risk and your example of risks going to the grocery store was spot on.  Minimizing the number of trips to the grocery store will reduce the risks to public.
Doug (Calmissile)

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
Trench, your correct in highlighting these risks to workers (and customrs).  Having to deal with the general public is an increased risk and your example of risks going to the grocery store was spot on.  Minimizing the number of trips to the grocery store will reduce the risks to public.

Thanks Cal, appreciate it :)

Online krimster2

http://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

we're now at 538 cases in the USA with a daily increase of 103
the daily increase is holding steady at about 20% new cases per day
when this number starts increasing we go exponential
we're where Italy was 4 weeks ago....

I would say the plan has worked far better than anyone in Moscva ever dreamed it would...
if you want to place a bet on how smart Americans are...
place the bet on the side that says they're the biggest bunch of dumb phuques ever...
no one ever lost that bet!
Putin sure as hell didn't
« Last Edit: March 08, 2020, 07:38:01 PM by krimster2 »

Offline msmob

For those WITH any observational skills...

Even those in Wuhan can go out to the shops to buy food....

Such movements are restricted, but there is still food on the shelves..

In Italy, as of yesterday, the shelves of supermarkets in Rome were full and most  folks aren't wearing masks ...

Not sure why supermarkets are any more risky than collecting repeat meds at the docs or visiting an airport / railway stn., etc.

The Trenches of this world haven't heard of home delivery ))))

Online krimster2

my wife owns two skin care and laser hair removal salons in our area....
she shows up at each twice per week
we were planning on closing them in August due to the virus....
but now I'm going to do it in April...
unfortunately we will have to lay off employees next month
she's had this business since 2009...

the ripples will spread

not sure how much longer my daughters will be able to attend college, before they're all closed, maybe 1 more semester at most...

Offline BillyB

http://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

I like the website. Italy has updated new totals since I reported their numbers this morning. They've added 33 new deaths and 33 new recoveries. Mortality rate went up again. I consider Italy the go to country for honest reporting and they report often. Some countries don't report everyday but Italy reports multiple times a day.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Online krimster2

Биопрепарат

a Schwarzgerät with Biopreparat

this happened twice before

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aral_smallpox_incident

and then later

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sverdlovsk_anthrax_leak

and of course, the third time was last year in China

please spread this info on facebook and twitter so I get more points
'spossiba

Offline Gator

The Trenches of this world haven't heard of home delivery ))))

Your remark reminds us that the most vulnerable group are the low-income, and within the low-income class the elderly and those with medical conditions such as asthma, diabetes, heart disease, etc.   They can not afford home delivery.  They tend to live in more populated areas. 

If a shutdown occurs, how do they get their food?  Their medicine?  There were reports that the "eye of the storm" nursing home in Kirkland, Washington was understaffed. 

Offline msmob

Your remark reminds us that the most vulnerable group are the low-income, and within the low-income class the elderly and those with medical conditions such as asthma, diabetes, heart disease, etc.   They can not afford home delivery.  They tend to live in more populated areas. 

If a shutdown occurs, how do they get their food?  Their medicine?  There were reports that the "eye of the storm" nursing home in Kirkland, Washington was understaffed.

Gator...

I have no idea how much home delivery of groceries costs in the US, but it is less than half a gallon of petrol ( 'gas')

Over here - the good ol' NHS has deals to get meds delivered to those entitled to FREE prescriptions ( over 60's / those on low incomes / under 16's ) for FREE

http://www.well.co.uk/landing

Offline msmob

Rather you & SC than me to be jetting of to those parts, the risk you are both taking is pretty high.

Unlike, you - we are living our lives and taking the govt recommended precautions ...NOT stocking up and ensuring foolish / selfish shoppers won't bring about temporary shortages.

Though I do think it is kind of funny when I say that you might get stuck out there and the next thing we no you are no longer in Cyprus but in the UK, lol. Still some affection for your old British passport in times of crisis hey Mobe :D

I have not been out in CY for some time ..  I seem to remember even posting this - as I have CY residency and the UKBA pointed out my being in the UK more often - and *I* pointed out to them that I care for my Mum ?!   I use my Irish passport to travel in and out of the UK ..  but the UKBA know I have a UK one !

I also said that this virus may change the way we shop and it looks like some of the worried well have started already.

Tesco has just announced it will ration certain items to five per customer:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51790375

A bit silly as could just go to another store afterwards.

The Spivs and selfish shoppers might ..

Though could end up with rationing being brought in for the whole country by the government, hooray! No fat girls :cheesy:

They will be in a world of pain if that happens!

You DO realise that even in China, food is in the supermarkets... ?  It's only rather sad / greedy people that cause empty shelves ..

Have you read that having this virus gives one the runs ?  WHY are folks stocking up on toilet rolls ?

I kid you not ..the shelves are low on pasta ..Muppets think only Italy makes Pasta ?

Trench, did you note that oil prices are crashing ?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51796748

'How can this be'?  ..You for-telling of price rises in houses, etc.,

« Last Edit: March 08, 2020, 09:48:49 PM by msmob »

Offline fathertime

short employees to take care of the older folks...reminds me of all those small-minded people all worked up over brown skinned immigrants and trying to restrict access and increase limitations so young people couldn't immigrate easily or without long long delay.

Fathertime! 
I just happened to be browsing about the internet....

Offline Gator

Before you alarmists lose control of your wits, consider the Singapore case.  Singapore is a city nation of five million people. 

Singapore was one of the worst hit countries when the virus first started spreading outside China.  However,  it had long been preparing for epidemics, after its history with SARS. 

Today the number of total cases is small, only 150, with 90 recoveries.  60 cases are still active, of which 9 are critical.  Number of deaths is ZERO, yet official say deaths are inevitable. 

Was the small number of infections due to the warm climate, as Krimster might claim?  Maybe the climate helped, yet Singapore's response according to this article explains "Tough laws and semi-invasive methods coupled with cajoling and cheerleading are Singapore’s way of handling epidemics."  The article covers the detailed vigilance their epidemiologists undertook to contain the outbreak. 

http://thediplomat.com/2020/03/how-singapore-connected-the-dots-on-coronavirus/

The state and local health officials in the US are manning the frontline against this disease.  They have the capability to do the same.  The question is whether Americans will cooperate or will they panic.   

Offline fathertime

but corpses can't buy houses.

Fathertime! 
I just happened to be browsing about the internet....

Offline BillyB

the most vulnerable group are the low-income, and within the low-income class the elderly and those with medical conditions such as asthma, diabetes, heart disease, etc.   They can not afford home delivery.  They tend to live in more populated areas. 

If a shutdown occurs, how do they get their food?  Their medicine? 

Out of over 3000 counties in America, I live in the hardest hit county. I've paid close attention to how quarantines are done elsewhere because I think it may happen in King County. First the army is going to surround us. Those inside quarantine will live life with restricted travel and work. Some will continue to work but many will stay indoors during an epidemic. The federal government and your tax dollars will have to support us by delivering us food and items for us to survive and combat the virus. Quarantine will be lifted only after the virus is gone but by then a lot of us will be dead but at least we're not spreading the virus to the majority living outside the quarantined area. But if we quarantine too many people and lose production like Italy is doing for an extended period of time, our economy will take a huge hit. If too many nations go into a deep depression and every nation is on it's own, some nations may see their neighbors and their neighbors allies being weak with no will to fight. In a time of weakness, things and people get exploited. Wars can break out.

Since I do earthwork and utilities work, with population reduction construction will slow down. I have a plan. I may get into the grave digging business and rename my business Undertaker Excavation.

There were reports that the "eye of the storm" nursing home in Kirkland, Washington was understaffed. 

Almost everybody you talk to that experiences an old folks home will say it's understaffed. My wife worked at one before. She complained about that too but I told her places like that have a high turnover rate for employees. Who wants to work for little money to give showers and change the diapers on adults?

If regions go into quarantine, I'm afraid a lot of people will have selfish, me first attitudes. Old folks homes will suffer. Some workers will surely quit during a time of quarantine, especially after the announcement today that 70 workers at the old folks home are sick.

http://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/07/us/coronavirus-nursing-home.html

Before you alarmists lose control of your wits, consider the Singapore case.  Singapore is a city nation of five million people. 

Singapore was one of the worst hit countries when the virus first started spreading outside China.  However,  it had long been preparing for epidemics, after its history with SARS. 

Today the number of total cases is small, only 150, with 90 recoveries.  60 cases are still active, of which 9 are critical.  Number of deaths is ZERO, yet official say deaths are inevitable. 

I have a hard time believing they have ZERO deaths. I hope they're not pulling a China on us. I doubt Singaporeans have super immunity systems compared South Koreans and Italians.

I have no idea how much home delivery of groceries costs in the US, but it is less than half a gallon of petrol ( 'gas')

From what I seen on Amazon, it's about the same price as in the store. If a whole region goes into quarantine, the biggest problem would be to find enough brave people to deliver to potential infected people everyday.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline msmob

Out of over 3000 counties in America, I live in the hardest hit county. I've paid close attention to how quarantines are done elsewhere because I think it may happen in King County. First the army is going to surround us. Those inside quarantine will live life with restricted travel and work. Some will continue to work but many will stay indoors during an epidemic. The federal government and your tax dollars will have to support us by delivering us food and items for us to survive and combat the virus. Quarantine will be lifted only after the virus is gone but by then a lot of us will be dead but at least we're not spreading the virus to the majority living outside the quarantined area. But if we quarantine too many people and lose production like Italy is doing for an extended period of time, our economy will take a huge hit. If too many nations go into a deep depression and every nation is on it's own, some nations may see their neighbors and their neighbors allies being weak with no will to fight. In a time of weakness, things and people get exploited. Wars can break out.

Since I do earthwork and utilities work, with population reduction construction will slow down. I have a plan. I may get into the grave digging business and rename my business Undertaker Excavation.

Almost everybody you talk to that experiences an old folks home will say it's understaffed. My wife worked at one before. She complained about that too but I told her places like that have a high turnover rate for employees. Who wants to work for little money to give showers and change the diapers on adults?

If regions go into quarantine, I'm afraid a lot of people will have selfish, me first attitudes. Old folks homes will suffer. Some workers will surely quit during a time of quarantine, especially after the announcement today that 70 workers at the old folks home are sick.

http://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/07/us/coronavirus-nursing-home.html

I have a hard time believing they have ZERO deaths. I hope they're not pulling a China on us. I doubt Singaporeans have super immunity systems compared South Koreans and Italians.

From what I seen on Amazon, it's about the same price as in the store. If a whole region goes into quarantine, the biggest problem would be to find enough brave people to deliver to potential infected people everyday.

BillyB..

I have no idea how you are SO 'certain' of how your quarantine conds. might be ...In nations that have adopted them - villages in N.Italy - community spirit seems to have upped ..

You have a very dim view of human nature in adversity ..

Offline BillyB

villages in N.Italy - community spirit seems to have upped ..

Let me guess, you visited the place once or talked to somebody from that region once to know that. The medical system in Italy is strained. Some medical professionals are infected. Italy is graduating medical professionals early and calling others out of retirement. The quarantine may be fun and cozy for citizens at first but it's going to get old pretty quick when reality sets in that people are dying, losing their jobs and paychecks, and it's not going to end soon. Wuhan, first city to be quarantined is still under quarantine.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/europe/coronavirus-in-italy-fills-hospital-beds-and-turns-doctors-into-patients/2020/03/03/60a723a2-5c9e-11ea-ac50-18701e14e06d_story.html

Since there are no more college classes, my wife looked at all the very cheap vacation packages and told me about them 10 minutes ago. She is being tempted by the travel industry. She told me hotels and flights are cheap and put her phone in my face so I could get a good look at it. If my county wasn't about to explode with infections, I probably be going on vacation before we enter an era where it's impossible to go on vacation.

Offline msmob

Let me guess, you visited the place once or talked to somebody from that region once to know that.

VERY Silly BillyB

The retired surgeon - who is my biz partner on a project - flew back from Rep. of Georgia with a break planned to . N.Italy ..

His lady speaks fluent Italian and they were going to stay in an apartment owned by friends ....  They lost their tickets - as they decided NOT to go .. but he is in contact with the family ... 

Whilst I understand YOU might not have such contacts  ... it doesn't mean others don't ...

I have Jackie, married to Sergio in Rome ( went to college with her ) and Marcello - from Sardinia - who I tap for updates .... Do you think all these folk fib to 'upset' you ?

The medical system in Italy is strained. Some medical professionals are infected. Italy is graduating medical professionals early and calling others out of retirement. The quarantine may be fun and cozy for citizens at first but it's going to get old pretty quick when reality sets in that people are dying, losing their jobs and paychecks, and it's not going to end soon. Wuhan, first city to be quarantined is still under quarantine.

Jackie - in Rome - is a teacher and on full pay ( happy enough watching Crufts Dog show in the UK, last night with the VPN I got her  )... the people my biz partner knows  - are in Lombardy ... 1 in 2k people there have been infected ..   a little perspective, may be ?

Since there are no more college classes, my wife looked at all the very cheap vacation packages and told me about them 10 minutes ago. She is being tempted by the travel industry. She told me hotels and flights are cheap and put her phone in my face so I could get a good look at it. If my county wasn't about to explode with infections, I probably be going on vacation before we enter an era where it's impossible to go on vacation.

Not sure what you're trying to say, here .. if it is possible to go,  are you saying you won't go ? 

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
Unlike, you - we are living our lives and taking the govt recommended precautions ...NOT stocking up and ensuring foolish / selfish shoppers won't bring about temporary shortages.

I have not been out in CY for some time ..  I seem to remember even posting this - as I have CY residency and the UKBA pointed out my being in the UK more often - and *I* pointed out to them that I care for my Mum ?!   I use my Irish passport to travel in and out of the UK ..  but the UKBA know I have a UK one !

The Spivs and selfish shoppers might ..

You DO realise that even in China, food is in the supermarkets... ?  It's only rather sad / greedy people that cause empty shelves ..

Have you read that having this virus gives one the runs ?  WHY are folks stocking up on toilet rolls ?

I kid you not ..the shelves are low on pasta ..Muppets think only Italy makes Pasta ?

Trench, did you note that oil prices are crashing ?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51796748

'How can this be'?  ..You for-telling of price rises in houses, etc.,

Yes, but China doesn't have the fat women we do. It is fat women and their over consumption of food that is the big problem here. They will want to maintain the size of their fat bums and won't care who else starves to do it. We desperately need the government to introduce food rationing to stop them eating all the food and reduce the size of their bums. They won't like it one bit but when needs must.

Food will start running out if this goes on a long time as society falls apart, potentially.

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
I like the website. Italy has updated new totals since I reported their numbers this morning. They've added 33 new deaths and 33 new recoveries. Mortality rate went up again. I consider Italy the go to country for honest reporting and they report often. Some countries don't report everyday but Italy reports multiple times a day.

That's half of them dying then!!! That is very much a reason to be shocked and alarmed. It is a staggeringly high death rate!

Boris is meeting the Cobra committee today to discuss delay moves such as closing schools, etc. I think this should definitely be done now to stop the spread bolting away as it has done in Italy and elsewhere. Better to take the initiative early than be reactive to a problem too late in the day.

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541010
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 1910
Total: 1921

+-Recent Posts

If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Today at 04:17:08 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 02:48:08 PM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 01:09:03 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:51:13 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:33:48 PM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:24:44 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 11:16:08 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by ML
Today at 10:31:43 AM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 09:47:10 AM

What to do by 2tallbill
Today at 09:37:41 AM