It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Coronavirus, how are you preparing for it and how it is affecting you so far?  (Read 439173 times)

Offline fathertime

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: > 10
Odd that California is being considered and not NY which has more infections and more concentrated population.

Trump considers travel restrictions to California and Washington in attempt to stop coronavirus spread

President Trump said Thursday that travel restrictions to California and Washington, two states hit hard by the coronavirus outbreak, were possible “if an area gets too hot.”

One day after announcing a 30-day suspension of travel from the European Union to the United States, Trump was asked by a reporter in the Oval Office whether domestic restrictions were also possible.

“Is it a possibility?” Trump responded. “Yes, if somebody gets a little bit out of control, if an area gets too hot.”

Trump canceled his own trip to Nevada and Colorado minutes after announcing the EU travel restrictions.

Of the more than 1,400 cases of coronavirus confirmed in the United States, the largest number, 341, are in Washington state. New York has reported 327 cases, the second-highest, and California currently has 201....

http://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-considers-travel-restrictions-to-california-and-washington-in-attempt-to-stop-coronavirus-spread-204627351.html

Fathertime! 
I just happened to be browsing about the internet....

Offline GQBlues

• Trips: None (yet)
:devil:

I’m sure it hasn’t escaped you that it isn’t just a coincidence that the hardest hit states also happens to be the, eherm, blue states.

Methinks maybe Jesus is a Republican.
Quote from: msmob
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.
3. N95 mask will choke you dead after 30 min. of use.

Offline mhr7

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: Resident
Trench, once you get this virus, don't expect to be a 100% healthy human being ever again if you survive, especially if you get pneumonia. The damage to your lungs most likely will be permanent. After a patient survives the virus, the patient may continue to be a burden on the health care system.

Billy, where do you get your medical information from? Most recover within 2 weeks and are just fine.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 09:04:26 PM by mhr7 »
"After your death, you will be what you were before your birth." - Schopenhauer

Offline BillyB

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
Billy, where do you get your medical information from? Most recover within 2 weeks and are just fine.

Most people who contracted the virus has mild symptoms but some people get pneumonia which can cause permanent damage to the lungs. Surviving the virus is to be celebrated but some survivors may need to be on a breathing machine for the rest of their lives.

http://www.premierhealth.com/faq/are-there-any-long-term-effects-from-having-pneumonia-

Prime Minister of Canada Trudeau's wife got the virus.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/canada-trudeaus-wife-tests-positive-for-new-coronavirus/ar-BB117s22?ocid=spartanntp
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Online krimster2

my projection in a "nutshell" for the USA

wherever Italy is...
is where the USA will be 2 weeks later
so watch what happens there...

pretty much every country in the world is "somewhere on the spectrum"

people are going to totally underestimate this...
cuz later a few months from now, when the numbers start to go down in the USA
they are all gonna cheer....
like they're doin in China now

but when everyone starts goin back to work
and the weather goes back to bein cold and rainy in China
it'll come back there twice as hard as the first time...
and be a totally new strain no one is immune to

ok...
guys...
I also think a war is coming to!!!

pestilence
poverty
war
and democrats

« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 09:26:14 PM by krimster2 »

Offline calmissile

• Trips: 4 - 10
Trench, once you get this virus, don't expect to be a 100% healthy human being ever again if you survive, especially if you get pneumonia. The damage to your lungs most likely will be permanent. After a patient survives the virus, the patient may continue to be a burden on the health care system.

Trump is considering banning travel to my State which would be another step forward towards a full blown quarantine. I pasted by a motel 10 minutes away from my home this morning. It was closed and the parking lot was barricaded off but had a government vehicle in the parking lot. Sounds like my local government bought another hotel to make a hospital. If they did buy another hotel, they didn't advertise it like the last one which people protested they didn't want infected people near their neighborhoods.

Billy,
Your fear mongering on this issue is off the rails!  You provide opinions that are totally false and/or not supported by the facts of those with expertise in the topics.

For example, your statement that anyone that gets the virus will never be normal or 100% healthy again.  That opinion is reckless and untrue.  As stated by many medical experts, many of those that contract the virus don't even know it and may not have any symptoms and in many cases the symptoms are no more severe than the common flu.  I have never heard any medical expert make the claims that you make in your statement.

As best as I can tell, neither you nor I have the expertise to offer credible opinions on the affects of this virus.

One fact that has been widely reported is that the statistics suggest that those most at risk for this virus are the elderly with underlying health conditions.  That appears to be a FACT.  The recommendations for the elderly to take special precautions to avoid contracting the virus makes sense.

You did the same thing with your opinions and statements on aviation related matters including accidents.  As far as I know you are not a pilot, have no instrument rating, and do not have a background in aviation maintenance.

If you want to cut and paste news articles that we all can find and read ourselves, that is fine, but lets lay off drawing conclusions and inferences that are not supported by those knowledgeable in the topics.
Doug (Calmissile)

Offline msmob

Some more bad news about the virus:

http://amp.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/health-environment/article/3074988/coronavirus-some-recovered-patients-may-have

Only potentially positive news was that they are going to test out some antibiotics they developed for the likes of ebola, etc.

:deadhorse:

Trench, at what age did you get expelled from school ?

Ebola is a VIRUS..

Did you learn NOTHING in your biology classes ..?

Offline BillyB

Billy,
Your fear mongering on this issue is off the rails!  You provide opinions that are totally false and/or not supported by the facts of those with expertise in the topics.

For example, your statement that anyone that gets the virus will never be normal or 100% healthy again.

I didn't say that. I said don't expect to be a 100% healthy human being if one survives the virus. If you want to believe all survivors will be 100% healthy after acquiring the virus, go for it if it gives you peace of mind.

Article below describes some of the effects on organs from COVID-19. Part of the problem is our immunity system goes into overdrive and kills everything in the way including healthy tissue. Some people's lungs will look like a honeycomb after the fight with the virus.

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/2020/02/here-is-what-coronavirus-does-to-the-body/

People have long term physical and mental issues from the first SARS epidemic. Learning from history will prepare us for what to expect right now.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/health-and-fitness/health/ten-years-later-sars-still-haunts-survivors-and-health-care-workers/article9363178/

As best as I can tell, neither you nor I have the expertise to offer credible opinions on the affects of this virus.

I'm a pretty smart cookie, smart enough to know not everybody is going to believe me. It's why I put a link showing pneumonia can cause permanent lung damage. COVID-19 can lead to pneumonia.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline mhr7

I said don't expect to be a 100% healthy human being if one survives the virus.

Which is dead wrong, Mr. Smart Cookie.
"After your death, you will be what you were before your birth." - Schopenhauer

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
:deadhorse:

Trench, at what age did you get expelled from school ?

Ebola is a VIRUS..

Did you learn NOTHING in your biology classes ..?

I didn't say Ebola wasn't a virus.

Well here's a Maths lesson for you Mobe, no you always insist that lumping the overall number of infections and set that against the number that have died to get to the 1 percent or similar figures who have died.

However, you realise that when infections start going down and hence less people are dying this figure you have is going to go way high even though there would be far less infections & people dying, lol. Go figure that one Mobers!
"If you make your own bread, then and only then, are you a free man unchained and alive living in pooty tang paradise, or say no and live in Incel island with all the others." - Krimster

Offline BC

As for what we are mistakenly calling 'mortality rate' here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Case_fatality_rate#

Watch the video at top right of the page.

Then start putting the math on paper and posting.

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
I would say the CFR is the CFR, not the mortality rate.

Anyway, no more Coronavirus cases in Dorset region of the UK as far as known for the last 2-3 days. As the early cases in this country showed it can be controlled if the chance to spread is targeted. I think they should have lockdown zones here & subzones to make it easier to check it's spread and a general curfew. I think though however that businesses should in the main stay open. To close them like Italy did risks undermining a country's ability to tackle the threat.
"If you make your own bread, then and only then, are you a free man unchained and alive living in pooty tang paradise, or say no and live in Incel island with all the others." - Krimster

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
Been thinking at work this last day or so also when I consider the office I work in, all of the potential of transmitting a virus it is quite surprising. It's more the little things that tend to be overlooked I find like people using the same pens, staplers, hole punch, folders, etc. When you think of how many times different people may pick up and put them down and likely never cleaned it's surprising. It's small items like these that are probably often overlooked transmitters of viruses year after year. Instead of the convention of sharing we are brought up with & using company equipment it is likely to be best practice to each bring our own work out a deal with the employer on the contribution towards such.

Like I say I think different working practises area key here. Some workers could work from home but that's not always possible for many employees at the moment I'm thinking.

Offline GQBlues

Back in the old days Vitamin C was used to prevent and treat Scurvy. It works. Today it's used for treating and preventing the common cold according to the link below. Remember what I said about this coronavirus being related to the cold virus? It makes sense what my wife said about the doctors at the hospital are giving super infusions of Vitamin C to coronavirus patients. I call a friend of mine who was a nurse. He said Vitamin C does work but mileage may vary. Some people will benefit from it more than others. I learned more about Vitamin C today and I recommend everybody buy some since it'll improve your immunity system, and good for treating colds since this new virus is related to the cold virus.

Billy are you even reading the link you provide? Your claim is counter to what the very citation you’re providing as support is saying.

Common cold. There is some controversy about the effectiveness of vitamin C for treating the common cold. However, most research shows that taking 1-3 grams of vitamin C might shorten the course of the cold by 1 to 1.5 days. Taking vitamin C does not appear to prevent colds.

However, if you’re one of those who hoarded a decades supply of toilet paper, then rest assured it’ll come in handy when you come home with drums of Vit. C supplements.
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.

Offline GQBlues

I didn't say that. I said don't expect to be a 100% healthy human being if one survives the virus. If you want to believe all survivors will be 100% healthy after acquiring the virus, go for it if it gives you peace of mind.

Article below describes some of the effects on organs from COVID-19. Part of the problem is our immunity system goes into overdrive and kills everything in the way including healthy tissue. Some people's lungs will look like a honeycomb after the fight with the virus.

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/2020/02/here-is-what-coronavirus-does-to-the-body/

I thought you refuted the genesis of the strains of coronavirus? Then you provide another link with a report linking the genesis to which you refuted.

Billy, take a breather, man. You’re burning your keyboards Googling. You’re starting to disagree with yourself.

Offline BC

I would say the CFR is the CFR, not the mortality rate.

Trench, mortality is usually applied to the general population, like X per hundred thousand die of heart attacks.

CFR is how many that have heart attacks die.

In this case the interesting figure is how many that get infected end up dead.

http://opendatadpc.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/b0c68bce2cce478eaac82fe38d4138b1

For Italy, out of 15,113 confirmed positive covid cases 1016 have died, this results at the moment to a raw CFR of around 6.7% that does not include cases not confirmed because symptoms remained mild and passed as a common cold or flu would, or even no symptoms at all.  Symptoms are basically the same and only a test can confirm the difference. Most of those that get tested are already showing concerning symptoms, enough so that testing is warranted.

Billy seems to be using the 'recovered' vs 'deaths', but overlooks that the definition of 'recovered' is folks that were hospitalized, then released. What is not known is how many have been admitted, so it's a very 'fuzzy' calculation and 'fuzzy' result he is attempting.  Not everyone is admitted, only the more serious cases.  Of those serious cases, so far less than half die.  This number is decreasing daily as now more folks are being released from hospitals as 'recovered' than die.

Also remember that Italy hosts as many tourists per year as there are inhabitants, mainly in the north.  They arrive from every corner of the planet. That's around 5 million per month for a country that is around 70% the size of California. Consider the more dense tourist area in the north, Milan, Venice, Florence, Pisa etc consider 3-4 million tourists in an area the size of NY state.   Add lots of cheek kissing, men-men, women-men, women-women helps to explain the rapid spread of infection.  Don't use that as an excuse though, the final numbers of infection per 100.000 won't be that different, just that it may take a bit longer elsewhere for it to spread.  We can't stop it but we can slow down the pace.

Offline msmob

Trench - WHO wrote this ?

Only potentially positive news was that they are going to test out some antibiotics they developed for the likes of ebola, etc.

I didn't say Ebola wasn't a virus.

Indeed, you just suggested scientists had developed an antibiotic for Ebola ...  :deadhorse:

Yours and BillyB's 'stats' are as hilarious ...

Offline msmob

Just been on a virtual shopping trip with SC

She's been to Makro ( a wholesaler) where they let her in with our UK Makro card !

To gain entry ( in addition to proving one is a trader) - SC first has to be scanned to see if she has a fever ( this is the guy in front!) ..

THEN one proceeds to apply hand santiser ...  in the UK it would be stolen ... ((

Same for a shopping mall - you're scanned and must apply sanitiser to one's hands

I'm wondering why the UK doesn't apply the same rules ?

« Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 04:54:59 AM by msmob »

Offline BC

I'm wondering why the UK doesn't apply the same rules ?

Patience.. it may well come to that in UK and other places.  Especially the larger chains that may face liability issues for just letting folks in uncontrolled or not taking prudent measures.

Interesting questions in a recent hearing in Congress:

Q:  A fortune 500 country wants to test their employees in order to protect themselves from lawsuits down the road.

A:  uh... uhmm... there are a wide range of options like teleworking we can suggest. We don't have the capability to test folks that just want to be tested and don't have symptoms..

(paraphrased)

Online Faux Pas

• Trips: No Selection

I hate to break it to you and FP, and you guys know how I feel about you two, but it's a myth that Vitamin C is helpful. Especially the supplements. If it has any advantage at all, I reckon it'll be fairly modest. Besides, unless you're on a strict burrito daily diet, you're like getting your daily Vit. C dosage already anyway. If not you're better off with a nice blueberry smoothie in the AM than a supplement. You'll be better off making sure you're adequate with your Vit. D daily requirement to help with your immune system.

Meh, different strokes for different folks. I believe in the power  of vitamin C. What I suggested to Billy is what I do myself. Particularly in the winter months I will hammer VC pretty hard. Yeah I'll take 2000mg and even knock it back with orange juice. If there's flu in the air I'll do it twice a day. I've been doing it for years. That was advice from a doctor friend of mine. He does it to.

In Wuhan they are finding VC therapy helpful in combating the virus for those infected and many of those not infected and taking heavy doses are not getting infected. I do understand what you believe about the smoothies but in many instances it's just not enough. Better living through chemistry. Everyone's best bet short of the cure is a strong immune system

Offline msmob

« Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 05:47:59 AM by msmob »

Online Faux Pas

• Trips: No Selection

Wife who's college quarter has been cancelled told me her teacher is currently working at the VA hospital. They have confirmed COVID-19 cases there and her teacher has to wear full protective gear. Seems like the hospital is getting busy and is needing people to cancel appointments. My wife told me they are injecting patients with high doses of Vitamin C as part of the therapeutic treatment. I went out to buy high doses of Vitamin C at Faux Pas recommendation a few days ago. Shelves were nearly empty but I got two bottles and my wife ordered real Vitamin C online. If you guys still have money left over after buying toilet paper, go out and buy Vitamin C to boost your immune system.

There's also a supplement called Energen. It's pretty good stuff and a caffine boast as well. There's 1000mg VC per packet.

Offline GQBlues

It was barely a decade ago when N1H1 broke out in the US. It killed almost 20,000, over half a million worldwide. That was killing mostly middle aged people and younger, as opposed to the very old and with medical conditions. Yet, I don’t remember witnessing the same anxiety I do now, and certainly not the same insane deluge of media coverage, and cancellations, shutdowns, lockdowns, etc.

How times have changed.

Offline Chelseaboy

• Trips: 1 - 3
Social media and 24 hours news channels have inflamed the hype.

I'm a football fan and the 24 hour sports channels get most of their breaking stories from twitter and Instagram,most of which proves to be BS...says it all about news coverage nowadays.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 05:56:44 AM by Chelseaboy »
Just saying it like it is.

Offline msmob

It was barely a decade ago when N1H1 broke out in the US. It killed almost 20,000, over half a million worldwide. That was killing mostly middle aged people and younger, as opposed to the very old and with medical conditions. Yet, I don’t remember witnessing the same anxiety I do now, and certainly not the same insane deluge of media coverage, and cancellations, shutdowns, lockdowns, etc.

How times have changed.

Your figures for A/N1H1 are probably WAY under - as it turned out .. but the sentiment is sound ..

http://news.cgtn.com/news/2020-02-08/A-look-at-U-S-H1N1-virus-compared-to-China-2020-coronavirus-Part-I-NUWmASvwqc/index.html

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 540997
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 1853
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 10
Guests: 1848
Total: 1858

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:20:42 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:12:54 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:02:12 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 08:45:42 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 07:59:27 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 07:04:53 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 06:59:45 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 06:57:42 PM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 06:36:52 PM

Re: Twenty Years... and Counting (MarkInTx Update) by supranatural
Yesterday at 03:02:29 PM