It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Our Dacha  (Read 5736 times)

Offline Wayne

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: None (yet)
Our Dacha
« on: April 21, 2017, 08:18:56 AM »
A few years ago, I had a thread about the construction of our dacha starting from the foundation up. Some people have asked about it lately.

Wife designed and supervised the construction. I have a few recent photos:

Offline tfcrew

• North Texas... Married 21 years
  • Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Re: Our Dacha
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2017, 09:03:42 PM »
 :popcorn: Let's go inside.
~There is no one more blind than those who refuse to see and none more deaf as those who will not listen~
~Think about the intelligence of the average person and then realize that half of the people are even more stupid than that~

Offline BillyB

• Trips: > 10
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2017, 10:04:21 PM »

Thanks for sharing Wayne. The dacha is looking good. When will you invite us over for tea? What's the cost of construction materials like in Crimea? Affordable or through the roof?
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline ML

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2017, 09:30:50 AM »
Great pics; thanks for sharing.

It makes me jealous to think of the relatively cheap cost of labor there, which allows for a lot of good craftsmanship and detail.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline Wayne

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2017, 09:15:19 AM »
The cost of building materials in Crimea has gone up since we built. Once if or when the bridge is completed it could go down. Also, the exchange rate between US Dollars and rubles is a factor. Wife says a year ago $100 US got you 7200 rubles; not it is only 5600 rubles.

Yes, the labor cost is still low. If you look at the details in the porch, steps and walkways you can see a lot of hours for construction.

Wife was inspired by the vineyard that extends for miles starting across the street from the dacha. The design of the porch railing reflects that, and also in the spiral stairwell inside.

Offline BillyB

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2017, 07:59:52 PM »

With America and Europe refusing to get tougher on Russia, the rouble will get stronger. Better make the most out of your dollars sooner than later.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline Wayne

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2017, 09:30:07 AM »
I have some more photos of our dacha.

Offline Wayne

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2017, 09:34:01 AM »
More photos:

Offline ML

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2017, 09:57:27 AM »
Very nice detail construction work.

Have you ever been to the dacha Wayne ?
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline Wayne

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2017, 05:38:24 AM »
Yes, I was there and we stayed for a few weeks, but the construction finish details were not all done.

My wife is very creative. The light tower actually covers the chimney going thru the center of the second floor. The wood burning fireplace is on the first floor. With the fireplace in the center of the building, very little heat is lost to the outside.

The building is designed and built to withstand a possible earthquake.

Offline calmissile

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2017, 12:24:59 AM »
Wayne,
Thanks for sharing the photos.  Some of us that have been her for quite a while are still interested in what our friends have been doing.
Doug (Calmissile)

Offline Wayne

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2017, 12:04:58 PM »
Here are some photos from today:

Check out the driveway! Flowers? Fireplace?

There is a 2 meter tall stone wall around, but you don't see much of it because of the plants!

Offline Wayne

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2017, 12:45:23 PM »
Forgot the fireplace photo.

Offline ML

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2017, 01:42:49 PM »
Wayne, some of the shrubey appears to be established for several years.  Was there an existing home already on the property?

And . . . I didn't know you could bake whole pumpkins.

Why is this called a dacha; it appears to be a full house.

Offline calmissile

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2017, 07:34:21 PM »
Wayne, excuse me if you have already answered.  What was the total cost including land for your dacha?
Doug (Calmissile)

Offline southernX

« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2017, 07:50:46 PM »
great looking darcha wayne

garden is well established and looks good ,

why the wall so high around the outside though ??

SX
Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.

Offline Wayne

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2017, 06:04:07 AM »
I think we have about 165K invested; wife earned most of the money from the sale of her art.

Of course the dacha is a two story house, but not as large as some dachas. There is also a separated two story motel unit on the site. I was planning to retire and live there. The motel unit was for extra cash. Of course, no one wants to visit Crimea since the take-over!

There was only wild grass growing when we bought the property 7 years ago. Wife planted everything.

The high stone wall is very typical for this area. It is made from the shell stone that is mined in Crimea.

I don't really like fences; in fact, the subdivision where we live in USA does not allow any fences. Of course, the lots are all large here. The lots in the dacha complex are fairly small; some people has an extra lot that they use only for a vegetable garden.

By the way, a dacha in the soviet system always had to include some form of food production.

I guess people on the forum don't realize that pumpkins are very popular in Ukraine? If grown properly, they can keep for many months.

Offline GQBlues

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2017, 07:59:16 AM »
Thanks for the update on this, Wayne. I remember when you first posted pictures when the guys first started digging for the footings.

I am still fascinated how there were no over-excavated ground at the bottom of those footings to ensure a uniformly compacted layer of material to prevent any settlement differential in the future.

Anwho, good pictures!
Quote from: msmob
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.
3. N95 mask will choke you dead after 30 min. of use.

Offline Wayne

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2017, 10:01:55 AM »
Yes, my wife took photos of the construction process all the way from the foundation on up.

There was a strong storm over the Black Sea this week and many nearby buildings were damaged by the wind--but everything was Ok at our dacha.

Too bad how everything is now in Crimea!

Offline Chicagoguy

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2017, 08:00:51 PM »
The first dacha I was in was in Russia it was more or less typical for the area where it was. Basically just a shed to keep garden tools but expanded a few times. Room to sleep in "attic" in you wanted. Toilet - an outhouse.  Sink a pump. Last time I asked the owner what ever happened to it he said he doesn't know.

My first girlfriend has a nice one about 40 minutes from Moscow. She and her mother and father worked very hard on it. Still there but with some small improvements. But some million $ ones in neighborhood. With train, bus stop and being so close to city makes it desirable.

Offline BillyB

« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2017, 07:29:09 PM »
I am still fascinated how there were no over-excavated ground at the bottom of those footings to ensure a uniformly compacted layer of material to prevent any settlement differential in the future.

I didn't see the ground photos but if they excavated to native material that's never been turned over, the ground would be compacted 100% and there wouldn't be any settlement. If Wayne gets a crack in his foundations and walls, we'll know they did a bad job. I've seen apartment buildings with cracks so wide, I could stick my thumb in them.

Offline ML

« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2017, 08:48:43 PM »
I've seen apartment buildings with cracks so wide, I could stick my thumb in them.

They built a real 'duzzy' for Kuchma over in Sevastopol back in 2002-04 or so.

Offline Wayne

« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2017, 07:42:22 AM »
There are no cracks in the foundation. If you remember, there was massive amounts of steel re-bar all welded together.

There is a large field of lavender near our place, and wife transplanted some of it:

Offline msmob

« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2017, 08:27:57 PM »
Thanks for this VERY interesting thread, Wayne

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 540997
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 9
Guests: 1957
Total: 1966

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:20:42 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:12:54 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:02:12 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 08:45:42 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 07:59:27 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 07:04:53 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 06:59:45 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 06:57:42 PM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 06:36:52 PM

Re: Twenty Years... and Counting (MarkInTx Update) by supranatural
Yesterday at 03:02:29 PM