It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Travel Document  (Read 10032 times)

Travel Document
« on: February 28, 2005, 08:37:44 AM »
Has anyone gone through the process of getting and using  the travel document? Do you need to go in for an interview, or is it all done by mail? I am asking because the Angel is coming soon and we only want to stay for a month, then go to Russia for the summer. And then come back here to avoid the countrywide glacier, I mean Russian winter. I know you can apply for the TD by mail, and I can have my mail forwarded, but am I missing something?  

Is customs going to want to see your travel document when you leave the US, or only when you try to get back in?

Dan , I used Opera 7.50 to write this message, and it didn't add the Poll. There must be a problem with the Opera 6.05 (or Microsoft support of Javascript).
« Last Edit: February 28, 2005, 08:40:00 AM by fairbro »

Offline jb

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
Travel Document
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2005, 09:05:06 AM »
If you are refering to the I-131 when you say "travel document", I'd say no, the I-131 normally takes about 90 days, or more, to get processed unless it's an emergency, (like a death in the girls immediate family). Going back for the summer would not be considered an emergency.

You would have also have to already be married, and then you can file the I-485, I-131, and the I-765 concurrently.  According to the rules you can not file for the I-131 without having already filed the I-485, you do not have to file the I-765 unless she wants to work or get a SSN.

Offhand, I'd say you have too many eggs in your basket, you need to slow down a bit and get things in the proper order.

Travel Document
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2005, 10:27:13 AM »
I just want to know someone's own experience with the travel document.

Bruno is just wanting to communicate, it seems to me. Can't blame him, it's human nature to want to socialize and to help.

Offline ConnerVT

Travel Document
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2005, 10:56:01 AM »
My experience:

You can not apply for AP (Advance Parole, the correct name for the document in this instance) until you file for Adjustment of Status.  You may file both AOS and AP applications together.  You may not apply for AOS until you have a valid marriage license.

We applied for AOS, AP and EAD together at the beginning of August.  Our AP approved in 75 days.  I have read of the experience of others where it has taken much longer.

Also my experience:

In all aspects of an American/Russian relationship, the one personal trait that is most important is patience.  Everything will be more difficult for both of you in the beginning.  Accept it.  Embrace it.  Learn to work together, and be patient together.  The things that are most difficult to obtain are also the things you will cherish together the most.

Offline jb

Travel Document
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2005, 11:25:50 AM »
Fairbro,

I only speak from personal experience, I do not offer speculation.  If the wording of my post left you in some doubt, I'm sorry for that.

Now, listen closely 'cause I'm only gonna say this once, if you go into this thinking your case is somehow special, that you are different from all the rest of us, or you are guard house lawyer enough to figure out a way around these fu*ked up rules that apply to everyone else, but not to you, you will be dissappointed.  The reason is: you will get at loggerheads with some USCIS agent who doesn't quite see it your way.  What he or she will do everytime you get in their face is put your file back to the bottom of the pile and deal with you again in 3 months.  Your own attitude can get this done in the usual amount of time, or you can stretch it out for years.

Your choice, my hard headed friend.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2005, 11:27:00 AM by jb »

Travel Document
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2005, 11:39:50 AM »
Enough of the personal advice, did you or did you not get a travel document? If you didn't, then you are just talking the walk.

FYI, I did do an end run around the bureaucrats in another situation, yes it is possible, don't be so gloomy. The bureaucrats do lose, occasionally. The sun will rise tomorrow, lighten up. Don't rain on the parade.

I'm sorry, I should be walking around with a cloud over my head all day, I guess.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2005, 11:41:00 AM by fairbro »

Offline jb

Travel Document
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2005, 11:43:02 AM »
Fairbro, I give up.  You are obviously smarter than me.  I will never answer another question from you.

P.S. and I hope no other vets here will either.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2005, 11:44:00 AM by jb »

Offline jb

Travel Document
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2005, 12:33:04 PM »
Bruce, fairbro was just being obtuse,,, or stupid, I don't know which... In any case he comes off like a "know it all" moron.

I'll leave it to others to bail him out in future.

Travel Document
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2005, 01:20:08 PM »
"Bruce?" What does he have to do with this topic?

I simply asked for the "actual experience" others had with the Travel Document. You "answered" with some bureaucratese, so I asked for further clarification, if you had actually done this, no answer.  

You would have also have to already be married, and then you can file the I-485, I-131, and the I-765 concurrently. According to the rules you can not file for the I-131 without having already filed the I-485, you do not have to file the I-765 unless she wants to work or get a SSN.

First you can file the I-131 and the I-485 concurrently, then you can not file the I-131 unless you already filed the I-485.

Huh?

I thought the purpose of a BB was to gain understanding through communication.

Да, I was the first "Stupid," "Obtuse" "Moron" in my high school to come in 2nd (1st was a family member) on the SAT's, and 1st on the ACT, in high school (430 people in my class).

I was going to say about another document I already figured out how to get around, but I don't want to the sun to shine through anyone's dark umbrella.

пока пока
:)

Offline jb

Travel Document
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2005, 02:32:05 PM »
I said I would not answer your questions anymore, I did not say I would not tell everyone how absolutely dumb I think you are.

If you were smart enough to pass a SAT, you should be smart enough to read a post, moron.  I SAID I'm posting from personal experience, that means I HAVE filed the I-131 for my wife and step-son, they traveled with the AP until they both received their Green Cards.

Did anyone else ever tell you how annoying you are?

Travel Document
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2005, 03:35:52 PM »
I said I would not answer your questions anymore
You're absopositilutely right! You never answered them anymore, because you never answered any in the first place.

absolutely dumb
is redundant. Is there a difference between a person who is "dumb" and one who "absolutely dumb"?

I did not say I would not tell everyone how absolutely dumb I think you are.

Well, duh. You think I take anything on this board seriously? This is below the truth level of a bar, where 50% is complete BS. On a BB, > 90% is BBBS.

pass a SAT
I guess you're in the 3rd level, the ones that the administration clandestinely admits is just a waste of resources. You don't *pass* an SAT. It's not an examination for a grade.

I HAVE filed the I-131 for my wife and step-son,
Why didn't you just say that in the first place?
Am I supposed to read your mind?

they traveled with the AP

They're with the Associated Press? Did they take their I-485's, their I-6718's and their I-942b's with them?

Did anyone else ever tell you how annoying you are?

This is one of those logical paradoxes, right, like:
Have you stopped beating your wife?

Offline Bruce

Travel Document
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2005, 02:18:27 AM »
Fairbro I filed the I-131 this past November 26 or so.  I placed the I-131 together with the adjustment of status packet.  It was the Wednesday before Thanksgiving day.  Anyway, my wife received her I-131 approval last Monday February 22.  In our case it took about 3 months.  Its too bad you did not listen to JB.  Perhaps in your case it may be better for you to try to get her a tourist visa.  Sometimes supposedly do come through.  Just keep in mind if it does not go through she will have a visa denied record in her file.  Like I previously posted he is what I would term full professor level on advice.  If I were you I would give him an apology! 
"A word is dead when it is said, some say.  I say it just begins to live that day."  Emily Dickinson

Travel Document
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2005, 04:03:08 AM »
I owe the professor of hard knocks an apology?

Has anyone gone through the process of getting and using the travel document? Do you need to go in for an interview, or is it all done by mail?
Is customs going to want to see your travel document when you leave the US, or only when you try to get back in?

Notice that I asked *four specific questions.* I really was not interested in anything else, or else I would have asked. The professor's reply did not address any of my questions. So I tried again, asking anyone's personal experience. For some reason, he then got upset, started cursing and read me the "drill sergeant" routine, but he *still* didn't answer any of the (now 5) questions.

Perhaps he has a degree in head banging, but he doesn't communicate very well. Anyone who can't communicate effectively is naturally going to get a lot "hard knocks" going through the system.

His answer:

If you are refering to the I-131 when you say "travel document", I'd say no, the I-131 normally takes about 90 days, or more, to get processed unless it's an emergency...

"No" what? What is he talking about? I think the "no" is a reply to some asked or imagined something, but what? Does it make any sense to you. If it does, explain it to me.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2005, 06:18:00 AM by fairbro »

Offline Bruno

Travel Document
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2005, 04:50:39 AM »

[line]
Notice that I asked *four specific questions.*
[line]

Your question was very general without any kind of detail of real information... JB have try to go in detail but your reply by

[line]
I just want to know someone's own experience with the travel document.

Bruno is just wanting to communicate, it seems to me. Can't blame him, it's human nature to want to socialize and to help.

[line]

JB have the personal experience... and i don't see why you speak about me in these thread because i have reply nothing here...

[line]
As far as my deleted posts in the other DG, I posted a half-serious, half-in-jest idea, but alas, no one picked up the ball, so I deleted it. (I am not going to give away my ideas gratis, especially to a bunch of strangers.)

[line]

You can edit post during the 12 first hour only... give time to people for read post before cancel it... and if you wish give idea for money, go away from these forum and open a consulting agency... the forum is for share idea who can help each other... if you think only about yourself, your place is not here... you are only a arrogant jerk who insult everybody who try to help you... i really don't understand how you have find a russian woman with a character like you have... your are a "Уёбок", "Тряс" of maybe "Ты мне Ваньку не валяй" is a better description of you

Offline RacerX

Travel Document
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2005, 09:31:41 AM »
Bruno,

What's a Уёбок ?

Offline Bruno

Travel Document
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2005, 11:09:31 AM »
All the russian text i have type are popular language from russia ( not the high class, more the manual worker )...

I cannot translate the word Уёбок but i can explain the meaning...

Уёбок : somebody useless, weak, not bringing anything useful

Тряс : simple minded

Ты мне Ваньку не валяй ( expression ) : does not make pretence to not understand

What i have mean is :

I don't know if Faibro is some idiot who bring nothing useful of if he make express to not understand.

Yes, i know, my words are hard for him... but i have never post in these topic, and he begin against me... he have search me and now, he have find me !!!

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541299
Total Topics: 20860
Most Online Today: 3550
Most Online Ever: 12701