It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Belarus - - - leaning East or West ?  (Read 817 times)

Offline ML

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: > 10
Belarus - - - leaning East or West ?
« on: January 14, 2019, 09:19:34 PM »
Seems I have read many stories suggesting Belarus leader and ordinary people wouldn't mind joining with Russia.

Then I saw the below headlines and partial story.  I don't have Wall Street Journal subscription to read the entire article.

Belarus in Talks to Boost U.S. Presence
Discussions mark a turn away from Russia for former Soviet state, could worsen relations between Moscow and Washington
By Thomas Grove
Jan. 14, 2019 12:45 p.m. ET
MOSCOW—Belarus said it was in talks to boost the U.S. diplomatic presence in the former Soviet republic, a move that could exacerbate tensions between Moscow and Washington.

Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko reached out to the West after Russia renewed a push late last year to unify the two countries under an old agreement signed in 1999 that both have long disregarded. Moscow has also angered Minsk by changing its oil-tax code, which could cost Belarus hundreds of millions of dollars a year.

So what is the scoop ?

Belarus likely to unify with Russia . . . or not ?
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline msmob

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
Re: Belarus - - - leaning East or West ?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2019, 12:31:04 AM »
Simples

Lukashouldgo wants to stay in power ....

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2019, 06:53:22 AM »
Belarus is an interesting scene, when in Minsk in late summer last year it was their victory day celebration. Belarus kind of has a feel of the old Soviet Union I would imagine (since I did not travel there during that time) but almost in a theme park/theatre sort of way. The dress up is all of that sort of time but I never really got the feeling it was that authentic - kind of like a facade but the actual setup somewhat different. One the one hand they still have the KGB (in name at least) and Lukashenko milking cows wtc, on the other they have KFC and Hugo Boss along the high street (though I don't get the impression many shop in Hugo Boss but more Belurus own style of clothing outlets, pretty everyday stuff in there).

There was also the traditional tourist district of newly built old rustic style architecture shops being created especially for tourists it so appeared.

To me its looks like Bekarus was in the middle of turning from east to west in order to save themselves from a an impeding worse fate. I think its a case of there being little other option than to do so, Lukashenko will know with the example of Ukraine what upsetting Moscow too much can entail so he's back must really be up against the wall. No sign of trouble on the stree openly of course the KGB see to that. The girl I met allured to possible action in the Spring this year if things don't change soon though I think at the moment that would be wishful thinking. Unless things take a sudden uproar from underground dissent en-mass I think Lukashenko will cling onto power the place looked pretty orderly and civil.
"If you make your own bread, then and only then, are you a free man unchained and alive living in pooty tang paradise, or say no and live in Incel island with all the others." - Krimster

Offline Hammer2722

• Spouse's Country: Belarus
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2019, 09:57:52 AM »
Simples

Lukashouldgo wants to stay in power ....

Yep, He knows that soon after both countries merge, he will probably be arrested for corruption or other similar charge....
every ship can be a minesweeper at least once...

Offline Jamesukjames

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2019, 10:19:58 AM »
There are a lot of eec funded projects in Belarus and Russia  is a trading partner so sitting on the fence is a good analogy

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541463
Total Topics: 20864
Most Online Today: 3056
Most Online Ever: 12701