It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: What makes the FSU so interesting?  (Read 437373 times)

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
  • Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: Resident
What makes the FSU so interesting?
« Reply #1000 on: January 24, 2015, 09:57:23 PM »
Russian: ГУМ

English: GYM or GUM

Spoken as: "Ghoom"

This next video is in Russian, and to speak the name of this mall correctly, just follow closely to the :47-48 second mark when the Soviet announcer says "ghoom" right after he says the full name of the mall, Главный универсальный магазин. Literally that is "main universal store/market."

Even without Russian knowledge, this is a cool video from 1954.

By the way, those of you who have strolled along Red Square will be surprised to learn that there used to be street traffic there!

The Mendeleyev Journal. http://mendeleyevjournal.com Member: Congress of Russian Journalists; ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.RU (Journalist-Russia); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.UA (Journalist-Ukraine); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.KZ (Journalist-Kazakhstan); ПОРТАЛ ЖУРНАЛИСТОВ (Portal of RU-UA Journalists); Просто Журналисты ("Just Journalists").

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
« Reply #1001 on: January 24, 2015, 10:30:55 PM »
Any time is a good time to visit, but there are really two extra special times to visit GYM mall.

The first is pretty much the entire month of December and early January when Red Square is turned into a giant family park featuring a large outdoor skating rink and special rides like the merry-go-round.

The other special time is the first week of July when the mall celebrates its anniversary. This past July marked 120 years! A special ice cream is given to all who visit the mall, usually served by members of the media, popular singers, TV and movie actors, etc.

GYM birthday ice cream 2014 TV Andrei Malakhov

GYM birthday ice cream 2014 by Anastasia Ivanova

Here is a little history from GYM:

Known during the Soviet period as the "State Universal Store," Stalin hated GUM. Thus the first order of demolition was signed in 1935 in order to extend the square for the parades, the next order in 1940, then in 1947, and finally by Second Secretary General of the Communist Party, Mikhail Suslov, in 1972.

When Suslov made the order in 1972, he had no idea that Brezhnev's wife had just ordered a tailor-made fur coat in the 200th department of GUM, and when she came to the next fitting, she saw the dressmaker sobbing, who told her that GUM was going to be closed. At the next regular meeting of the Political Bureau, Leonid Brezhnev asked the question: "What kind of idiot is going to close GUM?"

That was the last time anyone spoke of shutting down the mall.
The Mendeleyev Journal. http://mendeleyevjournal.com Member: Congress of Russian Journalists; ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.RU (Journalist-Russia); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.UA (Journalist-Ukraine); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.KZ (Journalist-Kazakhstan); ПОРТАЛ ЖУРНАЛИСТОВ (Portal of RU-UA Journalists); Просто Журналисты ("Just Journalists").

Offline Taz

• Carpe diem...before it seizes you!
  • Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #1002 on: January 25, 2015, 07:12:46 AM »
Wow, this thread brings back some memories. My first trip to the Russia was in 1975 with my parents. Toilets were a challenge then and never really got much better for the longest time.

Later I had a chance to travel often with my mom in the FSU. Taking pictures of all the terrible toilets became her hobby. I have seen far worse than you could possibly imagine. i remember one toilet that someone did an upper decker to it. It in the arrival halls in Sochi. Then on top of it looked like has someone had projectile vomiting but it wasn't vomit that was basically oozing down the wall about half a meter above the top part of the toilet where someone had did the upper decker.

Ahh yes, the joys of living and working in Russia. I don't miss those days much at all.
Take time to learn the language. Even a little can go a long ways...

Get off your butt and go! Don't make excuses why you can't do it, find a way to make it work! Always go with a backup plan too!!!

Offline Doll

• Trips: No Selection
« Reply #1003 on: January 25, 2015, 07:51:09 AM »
Is it some kind of American obsession- in both threads about Russia and Russian wives people are talking about toilets? :D :D

Offline AC

• Banned Member
  • Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #1004 on: January 25, 2015, 07:56:52 AM »
Is it some kind of American obsession- in both threads about Russia and Russian wives people are talking about toilets? :D :D

Not an obsession just that Russia is not up to standards of the West in so many ways.  When are you moving back?
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 08:05:25 AM by AC »

Offline Doll

« Reply #1005 on: January 25, 2015, 08:08:01 AM »
Russia is not "West" and doesn't have to have Western standards.

Offline AC

• Banned Member
« Reply #1006 on: January 25, 2015, 08:34:24 AM »

When are you moving back? (you said you were going to, so just curious)

Offline Doll

« Reply #1007 on: January 25, 2015, 08:38:42 AM »
When are you moving back? (you said you were going to, so just curious)
I said when

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
« Reply #1008 on: January 25, 2015, 12:40:01 PM »
This question was brought up in another thread, so as it is part of what makes Russia and the FSU so interesting, we'll take a stab at it here:

The other thing that seems strange to me is having the clothes washer in the bath room in a flat.

Answer: After the revolution, most apartments were communal, meaning that several families shared an apartment. In that arrangement, everyone shared the kitchen and the bathroom/toilet areas. Each family, according to size, was allotted a room(s). That room was all purpose: living room by day, dining room in evening, and bedroom at night.

Depending on size of the apartment, the kitchens might have multiple sinks and stoves, one for each family. These arrangement were often found in former large homes that had been nationalized by the government and turned into multi-family communal apartments.

Just as common was an ordinary small kitchen with posted schedules; each family would do meal preparation according to the schedule. Laundry was generally something done in a single old style wringer washer, or using a washboard in the bathtub. Drying was either done in the courtyard outside, on a balcony, or on clotheslines hung over the bathtub, etc.

Over more recent years the use of communal apartments has decreased and as families gained access to a single family flat, most were still very small and the only space near water and drain connections are typically either in the bathroom or the kitchen. There is neither any space, nor plumbing connections, to put a washing machine anywhere else.

By the way, compact plumbing connections is the reason why you see kitchens and bathrooms next to each other in most FSU apartments. It is why in many older apartments one swivel faucet serves both the bathroom sink and the tub. See below, and also note that many "showers" are simply hand held, not built-in. Do you see the small washing machine under the sink?

apt bath Ksenia Fedosovskaya c

Often the "toilet" is in a separate room, next to the "bathroom" and the reason is for efficiency. Even in such small spaces, one person can be in the bathroom taking a shower, etc, while another person is using the toilet area. On this modern commode, flushing is done by pushing the button on the top.

apt bath b

In the photo below of a very modern apartment, this bathroom has its own water heater on the wall. Many flats still use hot water from neighborhood steam plants. That is a front-loading washer on the left.

apt bath laundry

Often you will find that Eastern washing machines are much more compact than Western machines, thus loads are smaller and that means that the time to do a family laundry is a longer process than what most of us might think.

The compact construction concept also explains why in many older apartments the light switches were grouped together. My first apartment in Russia had one plate with three switches just inside the doorway. Each was an old fashioned push button switch and the top one controlled the entryway and kitchen. The one in the middle of the plate was for the bathroom, and the bottom button controlled the toilet. The only other switch plate was located down the hall and it controlled the living room and the bedroom. At night when ready for sleep, it was necessary to step out into the hallway to push the switch button that controlled the bedroom light.

Offline calmissile

• Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #1009 on: January 25, 2015, 01:02:29 PM »
Mendy, perhaps you can solve a puzzle for me.  In several flats I rented, the washing machine would seem to go through a wash cycle and stop before the spin cycle.  The door is locked and you cannot open it.  What's the secret to using these machines?  Having all of your underwear locked up when you need to get dressed and go out, is a bit of a challenge.    :)
Doug (Calmissile)

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
« Reply #1010 on: January 25, 2015, 03:10:10 PM »
These machines are often built in Asia, and have water-saving features designed for that part of the world. So, the soak cycle is a very important part of the process. That means a longer cleaning cycle.

One must really think and plan around laundry in the FSU, especially if during winter you wish to wear certain items tomorrow. With very few automatic dryers in flats, this is especially important in winter as most apartments are heated with centralized steam heat. Filling the home with hot steam, and hanging laundry out to dry at the same time, lengthens the drying time needed. That is especially the case for heavy clothing like sweaters, and materials made of flannel, wool, etc..

Offline calmissile

« Reply #1011 on: January 25, 2015, 03:15:26 PM »
These machines are often built in Asia, and have water-saving features designed for that part of the world. So, the soak cycle is a very important part of the process. That means a longer cleaning cycle.

One must really think and plan around laundry in the FSU, especially if during winter you wish to wear certain items tomorrow. With very few automatic dryers in flats, this is especially important in winter as most apartments are heated with centralized steam heat. Filling the home with hot steam, and hanging laundry out to dry at the same time, lengthens the drying time needed. That is especially the case for heavy clothing like sweaters, and materials made of flannel, wool, etc..

ok, makes sense.  There is no indication it is in any kind of cycle.  The machine seems 'dead' in this case.  Perhaps if I had waiting another hour or so it would let me have my underwear back.   :)  Next time I am in Ukriane I will find one of these machines and try it.  I can't let a damned machine get the best of me!   Must be the engineer in me.
Doug (Calmissile)

Offline sleepycat

« Reply #1012 on: January 25, 2015, 06:48:25 PM »

You mean modern standards?

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
« Reply #1013 on: January 28, 2015, 01:01:56 PM »
You mean modern standards?

Exactly. In many hotels across the FSU at check-in you may be asked if you desire a "Russian standard" (not yet remodeled) or "Western standard" (remodeled) room.

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
« Reply #1014 on: January 28, 2015, 02:12:08 PM »
We have looked at old Russia, and I plan to return to that theme, but how about something that stretches into the present to the point that it was almost too much for an baby boomer age guy like myself.

This guy is fascinating. Apparently he has connections with stars such as Anthony Bourdain of No Reservations and CNN's Parts Unknown (one might divine those connections at seeing the quality of the production).

While this Chinese-American kid from New York can rapid-fire F-bombs at a rate that would embarrass any self-respecting machine gun, I still found him to be interesting. Even more intriguing: episode of his Russia visit was to see a Black teacher of English who specializes in teaching Ebonics to Russian students.

His clothing, OMG! Dress aside, he knows food and is rumoured to be a more than decent chef in the kitchen. A foodie who dresses weird, hmm. That explains why food is an important part of his travels around the world.

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
« Reply #1015 on: January 28, 2015, 02:12:50 PM »
Episode Two with Eddie Huang in Moscow:

We call it Kyrgyzstan but the official name is the Kyrgyz Republic. Yes, still in Moscow, but workers from the republic make up a good percentage of the illegal workforce in Moscow. As such, they are often mistreated, underpaid, and overworked.

Eddie will also take you on a tour of the Moscow Metro. The station is Park Pobedy (Victory Park), and really isn't the deepest in the world, but it is the deepest/longest escalator in Europe. Also shown is Площадь Революции, the station known as Plaza of the Revolution and its fascinating bronze sculptures.

He also has a startling visit from someone (surprise!) of the No Reservations show as they tour the famous VDNKh Park (All-Russia Exhibition Centre).

Not a surprise, more interesting food, in fact dishes from Kyrgyzstan.

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
« Reply #1016 on: January 28, 2015, 02:13:34 PM »
Episode Three with Eddie Huang in Moscow:

More food, and that is a welcome feature for those of us who are foodies. This third and final episode features $400 caviar, heading up to Moscow State University for an unnerving ride with the Godfather of Russian street racing, an introduction to playing checkers using vodka shot glasses, and his reaction to being served Kholodets, that famous Russian "meat jelly."

So much of what makes Moscow is in this episode, from a walk along the Old Arbat to Russia's most famous grocery store, the Eliseevsky on Tverskaya (his producers mislabeled it as the Eataly, and they should correct that). Personally I thought his interaction with the Russian girl behind him in the check-out line to be somewhat rude. She was clearly interested in communicating with him in English, but he could not dialogue with respect, in my opinion.

So, if you like his style and get past the clothing...

Offline Gator

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #1017 on: January 28, 2015, 04:44:22 PM »
Mendy,

Huang is far more sophisticated about food than his dress would suggest.  The coverage of food is excellent.  A hip Chinese-American version of Anthony Bourdain.

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
« Reply #1018 on: January 29, 2015, 01:42:43 AM »
I think that you are correct, Gator. I'm not a seriously trained chef, but his knowledge is apparent and his use of culinary terminology, and understanding of techniques, seems to hint at his comfort in that world. I watched his three-part series on Mongolia, and it was very interesting, too.

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
« Reply #1019 on: February 07, 2015, 11:31:50 PM »
Wait....she is Russian....and redheaded?!

Is she a spy, like the redheaded Anna Chapman?

No, Anna Chapman this is not, but Marina V as her stage name goes, is a young Russian redheaded gal who cooks, writes, and sings. Oh, and she lives in Los Angeles.

Okay, red hair like Anna Chapman. Pretty, like Anna Chapman. Lives in Los Angeles. Of course that settles it, yes she is a spy!

But wait, she has taken an old Neil Diamond song, Solitary Man, and translated it into Russian. She sings it in Russia.

Maybe, just maybe, she could be legitimate.

Solitary Man perhaps is not the best of her work, but she gets a solid A+ for the thought and the effort. Besides, she knows how to make borsch. A pretty young redheaded Russian borsch-making, Neil Diamond fan: that is an impressive deep cover.

But just think about it, any Russian who even knows about, and likes Neil Diamond, simply cannot be a spy.

She is just a pretty redhead from Russia who lives in Los Angeles. Oh, and she sings.

I like that.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 11:35:09 PM by mendeleyev »

Offline Anotherkiwi

« Reply #1020 on: February 08, 2015, 02:33:32 AM »
Okay, red hair like Anna Chapman. Pretty, like Anna Chapman. Lives in Los Angeles. Of course that settles it, yes she is a spy!

She is just a pretty redhead from Russia who lives in Los Angeles. Oh, and she sings.

I like that.

Only Russian criminals have tattoos, so she must be a spy.  Oh, and the red comes out of a bottle, so that just proves it.  Ordinary people don't dye their hair - only crooks do that!

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
« Reply #1021 on: February 08, 2015, 03:03:00 AM »
Oh, and the red comes out of a bottle, so that just proves it.  Ordinary people don't dye their hair - only crooks do that!

Exactly, it must be part of her cover. Man, you have caught her redhaired!   :D

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
« Reply #1022 on: February 15, 2015, 12:50:38 PM »
Russia to replace Internal Passports with digital ID cards:

The Federal Migration Service has announced that effective immediately, Russian internal passports are being phased out in favour of new plastic ID cards with data chips embedded.

Universal_electronic_card

The FMA told RIA Novisti News that the new cards will contain pertinent "personal data of the citizen, including biometric personal data, as well as other data, recorded  in electronic form on an integrated circuit."

The name of the new IDs will be called Universal Electronic Cards (универсальная электронная карта).

Offline Anotherkiwi

« Reply #1023 on: February 15, 2015, 05:19:08 PM »
Russia to replace Internal Passports with digital ID cards:

The Federal Migration Service has announced that effective immediately, Russian internal passports are being phased out in favour of new plastic ID cards with data chips embedded.

The FMA told RIA Novisti News that the new cards will contain pertinent "personal data of the citizen, including biometric personal data, as well as other data, recorded  in electronic form on an integrated circuit."

The name of the new IDs will be called Universal Electronic Cards (универсальная электронная карта).

Long overdue.  Plastic cards will be a heck of a lot easier to carry around (and probably lose  :'( ).  So long as the information contained in the chips doesn't include political leanings, this should be a "win-win" situation for all Russians.  :applause: :thumbsup:  The only problem is that Russia doesn't have the money to pay for them - unless the budget comes out of what has been allocated for military spending, or as part of the raiding of the pension funds to restore the bank balances of the oligarchs.

Offline sleepycat

« Reply #1024 on: February 15, 2015, 05:41:45 PM »
The only problem is that Russia doesn't have the money to pay for them - unless the budget comes out of what has been allocated for military spending,

Like that's ever going to happen as long as mongoloid Putin is running the show...

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 540997
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 9
Guests: 1965
Total: 1974

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:20:42 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:12:54 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:02:12 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 08:45:42 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 07:59:27 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 07:04:53 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 06:59:45 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 06:57:42 PM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 06:36:52 PM

Re: Twenty Years... and Counting (MarkInTx Update) by supranatural
Yesterday at 03:02:29 PM