It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Chat .......  (Read 3404 times)

Offline jone

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
Chat .......
« on: February 13, 2015, 01:41:00 PM »
Why are people not using RWD for chat purposes?  The reason is two fold:  1.  It is impossible to delete content once posted, and 2.  There are some different/enhanced features on the other forum such as the use of emoticons.  I would also add in that the owner might wish to designate two or three members as Chatroom Moderators, to both advise in Chat and to assist in its development.

Because one of the items that are talked about on chat is what people are posting, I would like to recommend to our owner and to the moderators is to make these simple changes so that our forum users are not inclined to go to the other forum for chat purposes.  This would continue to grow our forum and create an ability to discuss items in a more informal format than by posting on a thread.  I believe that RWD is a much better platform for forum discussion once the moderators took a strong stand on content vs. invective.  The only functional difficulty is the chat room.

My continued hope is that this forum is profitable and that members continue to maintain a serious dialogue on relations between FSU women and western men.  Making these changes to our chat room will add to that dialogue and enhance the RWD experience.  Having an MIS background, I would be happy to sit down with the system folks to assist in such changes.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 02:48:17 PM by AnonMod »
Kissing girls is a goodness.  It beats the hell out of card games.  - Robert Heinlein

Online Faux Pas

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: No Selection
Chat .......
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2015, 01:57:27 PM »
Chatroom changes is probably a good topic jone.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 02:40:51 PM by AnonMod »

Offline jone

Chat .......
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2015, 02:06:15 PM »
We have grown the participation here substantially by improving the forum.  Now it is time to do the same with the Chat Room and continue the growth and direction this forum has taken.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 02:41:42 PM by AnonMod »
Kissing girls is a goodness.  It beats the hell out of card games.  - Robert Heinlein

Offline AkMike

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: Resident
Re: Chat .......
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2015, 02:50:06 PM »
Why was my post deleted?
Nothing offensive nor mentioning any other spot?

Offline JayH

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2015, 02:56:34 PM »
Going back a while-a few people used to log in to chat and sit--that always seemed to attract more people.As soon as 2/3 are there-- more seem to come to look!

Actually!! being able to delete posts is a good feature to encourage discussion.It would also help if you could post photos faster--ala the Skype feature discussed in the last few days.
SLAVA UKRAYINI  ! HEROYAM SLAVA!!!!
Слава Украине! Слава героям слава!Слава Україні! Слава героям!
 translated as: Glory to Ukraine! Glory to the heroes!!!  is a Ukrainian greeting slogan being used now all over Ukraine to signify support for a free independent Ukraine

Offline Gator

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2015, 03:31:45 PM »
jone,

The most compelling part of RWD is that it reflects the collective values of the community and not the goals of an active hands-on owner.

I commend you for mentioning the need to enhance RWD's chat room and for listing some features to improve the experience.  Others have joined in.  Such is a prime example of the membership wanting to make RWD a better place. 

I suggest a self-appointed committee of volunteers be formed and work with an appropriate moderator.   I am not a chatter (I tend to multi-task while participating at RWD and not focus).   Although I do not volunteer, I believe it a good idea.

Offline JayH

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2015, 03:38:23 PM »
Actually Gator--multi tasking is common in chat-- everyone floats in and out of conversation--would be happy to see you try it!!
 translated as: Glory to Ukraine! Glory to the heroes!!!  is a Ukrainian greeting slogan being used now all over Ukraine to signify support for a free independent Ukraine

Offline Gator

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2015, 03:45:51 PM »
Actually Gator--multi tasking is common in chat-- everyone floats in and out of conversation--would be happy to see you try it!!

Multi-tasking to me is walking the dog, discussing a new dress my wife just purchased, helping my son with homework, calling about how my my new granddaughter is doing, ....I am all over the place.  Thanks anyway. 

Offline JayH

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2015, 03:54:06 PM »
People do all that!! And more!! ;D

Offline AnonMod

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2015, 05:20:19 PM »
Welcome to our new chatroom moderator, Larry1.
This account does NOT accept PM's. If you need to contact the RWD Staff, please use the 'Report to moderator' link.

Offline Larry1

• Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2015, 05:32:51 PM »
Thank you for the welcome.

Offline calmissile

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2015, 05:45:50 PM »
Thank you for the welcome.

Congratulations Larry.  I agree with Jone, it is time to build up the chat room activity.
Doug (Calmissile)

Offline jone

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2015, 06:55:17 PM »
Congrats to RWD administration and members for making such a great choice.  Larry is great.  He is a solid contributor and everyone enjoys talking with him.

Now we need to implement the minor changes that were discussed above.

Offline BillyB

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2015, 12:41:05 AM »

I don't think Larry understood work was in the job description so go easy on him. Grats Larry and don't let them bust your balls too much.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline The Natural

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2015, 12:59:45 AM »
Congrats to RWD administration and members for making such a great choice.  Larry is great.  He is a solid contributor and everyone enjoys talking with him.

I agree, Larry is a good man. Congrats Larry.

Offline Mod3

• Super Moderator
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2015, 07:05:26 AM »
1.  It is impossible to delete content once posted
That will remain impossible, however mods can delete posts that need to be removed.
We believe in people thinking before they post, and do not want to facilitate quickly removed insults.

2.  There are some different/enhanced features on the other forum such as the use of emoticons. 
Emoticons should be present, if they do not work then please tell, adjustments will be made.

Offline jone

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2015, 09:20:07 AM »
With all due respect, the reason people like to have the delete function is not to erase insults.  I have been on chat for a couple of years.  The reason that they like to have the delete function is two fold:

1.  If something is said generally to the group on chat but is not something that the chatter wishes to leave on the chat site for people not yet on the site to see, the chatter will delete it.  For example, guys on chat will say something that they would not want to offend, say a lady who came on chat while they were talking.  They would wish to display it generally and then delete it.  It is only polite.

2.  The other reason the delete function is used is that people are sensitive to the memory it takes to post pictures on chat.  After a picture is loaded, it is usually removed so as not to use up the space on the system.

As I said earlier, Chat is much more self moderating than the forum.  With direct interaction, there are not too many people who can't hold their tongues on chat.  For those we have Larry now to make sure everything is civil.  But my experience, even with the greatest opposites on the forum, is that there is both decorum and politeness, often not experienced in forum posting.

I was led to believe that the software that runs another forum with the delete feature is the same that runs our chat site.  I would understand if this were a technical difficulty, but I do not understand if this feature is something that was debated by the moderators and rejected.

Offline Mod3

• Super Moderator
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2015, 12:58:26 PM »
With all due respect, the reason people like to have the delete function is not to erase insults.  I have been on chat for a couple of years.  The reason that they like to have the delete function is two fold:

1.  If something is said generally to the group on chat but is not something that the chatter wishes to leave on the chat site for people not yet on the site to see, the chatter will delete it.  For example, guys on chat will say something that they would not want to offend, say a lady who came on chat while they were talking.  They would wish to display it generally and then delete it.  It is only polite.
Apart from that chat before entering is not displayed, this isexactly an example of people needing to mind what they write before pressing the send button.
2.  The other reason the delete function is used is that people are sensitive to the memory it takes to post pictures on chat.  After a picture is loaded, it is usually removed so as not to use up the space on the system.

Depending on how deletion is handled this may not influence memory.
I was led to believe that the software that runs another forum with the delete feature is the same that runs our chat site.  I would understand if this were a technical difficulty, but I do not understand if this feature is something that was debated by the moderators and rejected.
The software used it the same. The permissions reflect some differences in ideology.

Offline jone

« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2015, 01:55:38 PM »
Apart from that chat before entering is not displayed, this isexactly an example of people needing to mind what they write before pressing the send button.Depending on how deletion is handled this may not influence memory.The software used it the same. The permissions reflect some differences in ideology.

With all due respect:

I thought this thread was about making the chat room an easier place to hold a chat.  Instead I hear excuses based on ideologies.  I, personally, volunteered to pay for the coding changes.  Then I received a PM from one of the moderators stating that the changes would be made, after inspections by multiple moderators in chat and that it would not cost anything.  Now, it would seem that the worm has turned with no explanation.

This turn of events, which seems to express a suspicious approach to chat, is not representative of those who spend time in chat.  I know of one moderator from this forum who spends a lot of time in chat and uses the delete function for exactly that which was spelled out in the above request.

The efforts which our (chat) group has put into making these recommendations are being disparaged without any personal communication.  This is not a unilateral request, but that which comes from the entire group of people who  frequent or have a history in the chat rooms.  Please show us one individual who spends time on chat who does NOT think that this is a good idea.

The moderators who run this forum have a long history of making good decisions based on their experience in the forum.  Unfortunately, those of us who have spent a great deal of time making good decisions in chat are NOT being listened to when we discuss the shortcomings. 

Chastising us by stating that we need to mind what we say before we put it on chat is an answer I would not expect coming from the group of moderators we have on this forum.  This austere or rigid response is not the discussion I received through PM nor is it commiserate with attracting new members to the forum or to chat.

Offline Boethius

« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2015, 07:49:10 PM »
I don't have an issue with chat not having a delete function.  Chats here are not available once logged out, and only can be seen from the point a member enters the room.

I do see emoticons on chat here.
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline jone

« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2015, 11:42:05 PM »
Bo,

Pardon me for saying so, but I have seen you on chat once.  You are not exactly our target audience to build up chat.  You guys can't take us at our word that we actually do know what is going on?  We're talking about getting members who are big contributors to the forums and chat for an hour or so each day.

If this is a ideological conversation, then the forum has already lost.  We told you what we needed to build up chat.  The moderator group apparently has turned us down.

Just so you all know, for a period of time, Duane gave everyone on chat moderator status as he was building capabilities into it.  During that time Chat increased on the order of three fold.  Then he reverted it to how it is now and the usage died away again.

Perhaps you should take a reverse approach.  If you deliver the delete feature and people do take advantage of it, then remove it.   But not having tried our approach, when we have spelled out how it is used is just plain silly.  Especially since none of the current moderator staff spends time in chat.  (At least on this forum.)

Offline Boethius

« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2015, 11:47:13 PM »
I used to frequent chat fairly often when female members were here.  I even recall when the delete function was activated, and then removed again.  I don't think it makes much of a difference, TBH.

I think if you want some of these changes, the person you need to have approve them is the person who removed the chat deletion function - Dan, the owner of this forum.  Surely there is a reason he deactivated it.
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline Muzh

« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2015, 10:10:25 AM »
I for one would keep the delete function off. This way you can see who talks behind your back.  ;)

Not that I'm going to a chat room again, ever.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead. Thomas Paine - The American Crisis 1776-1783

Offline jone

« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2015, 10:14:44 AM »
I for one would keep the delete function off. This way you can see who talks behind your back.  ;)

Not that I'm going to a chat room again, ever.

Hey buddy, it doesn't work that way.  Once the data leaves the screen, it's gone. Although a participant already on chat can read back to where their conversation began.

As for me, I hope you do come back on chat.  You can tell me how bad your golf swing is.

8)

Offline JayH

« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2015, 01:23:56 PM »
Congratulations to Larry--and thankyou for your work.Also a thankyou for forum for accepting advice!!
On capacity to "delete"---it is needed so some things posted there eg photos -can be seen by those present at the time-- and not others. The same may apply to a link looked at in chat-and in context.
There may be other semi private info floated--ok for those present to see etc
I can't see how it can hurt!! :)

To Muzh's comment-- very little time is actually ever spent on other forum members--on the occasions threads are discussed  it would be rare to see negative comment on posters followed up in chat-- funnily enough some people are paranoid about chat and think they are the central theme!! ( not aimed at you Muzh)

From my experience in chat--many who go to chat do go on to post in threads in due course--instead of being lurkers forever!!Chat members encourage that aspect-so it can only be a positive.
For members like Muzh-- why not come to chat and get to now others a little better--things you would never bother posting on forums do get discussed-often in a fun way- it can't hurt you!!

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541012
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 1892
Total: 1903

+-Recent Posts

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by 2tallbill
Today at 04:48:07 PM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 04:37:18 PM

If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Today at 04:17:08 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 02:48:08 PM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 01:09:03 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:51:13 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:33:48 PM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:24:44 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 11:16:08 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by ML
Today at 10:31:43 AM