It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: For FSU ladies only.  (Read 9877 times)

Offline Diplomacy

Re: For FSU ladies only.
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2009, 06:28:16 AM »
Yes, Ukrainian vodka is usually made with wheat grain.  They use wheat flour, from what I could tell.  The issue is, after long thoughts about it now.  I do not even know if I have ever seen Potato flour.  I am not sure I could even tell the difference.

It does not need to be in a flour form, it is just a faster process if it is.  I do not know what the Russians would use, I am still thinking wheat flour.

Any of the above mentioned by Sandro could be used.  It is most likely going to be the crop that is most available and least expensive.

I would be very careful drinking anything without a government seal on the cap.  you can go blind, if it is not done properly.

Offline SANDRO43

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2009, 07:10:44 AM »
Yes, Ukrainian vodka is usually made with wheat grain.  They use wheat flour, from what I could tell. 
Dipsy, I don't think Russians or Ukrainians use wheat flour, they'd likely invented pizza that way ;D:
The basic vodka manufacturing process is pretty simple:
The grain (in the form of wheat for example) or vegetables are put inside a mash tub. The tub is very similar to a washing machine. While the tub rotates it breaks down the grains. Ground malt is added to the compound as it eases the conversion of the starches to sugar...
http://www.vodka-perfect.com/vodka-manufacturing-process/

See also http://absolutad.com/absolut_about/history/made/.
Milan's "Duomo"

Offline Diplomacy

« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2009, 07:29:56 AM »
Actually, that is what they call it after 10-12 days.  Ukrainian Pizza.

Offline JR

• Hey, what do I know?
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2009, 09:13:18 PM »
I was kidding about the corn :)
Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of somebody else :)

Offline Diplomacy

« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2009, 06:06:50 AM »
Yes, the dough helps seal the still.  I remember that fact.

Offline OlgaH

• Trips: No Selection
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2009, 05:32:50 PM »

You make "whodka" (the way my X pronounced it) with corn? Now I'm confused!

You can make vodka with corn or peas also if you wish  :)

Russian home made vodka is samogon and is similar to moonshine.

Offline mies

• Spouse's Country: Russia
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2009, 04:07:03 PM »
With out doing a search, how long do you believe corn on the cob must be cooked?

HiTech

Frankly speaking - i don't see the point of asking the questions of this format, other than to humiliate your partner publicly letting everybody tell you "yeah, she's strange" and letting know your partner she is wrong - showing her the online proof how she is weird and you were right.
Are you a Pigmalion or what?  :cluebat:
why would anyone care how many hours i want to cook the corn, or meet, or potato? My kitchen is my territory, and i don't want any advisers here, especially unwelcomed.

I have an easy and simple advice for your family life. While the corn is being cooked - take your corn out of boiling water 5 min after it started boiling, and let your wife wait as many hours as she desires. You get your corn, she gets her corn, and everybody is happy.

To the people who are the most negative about russian cooking habits - you may want to take into account that quality of meet, as well as quality and type of corn - could be very different in USA and FSU. My grandma used to live in the village in Ukraine, she cooked dry corn for paltry and livestock. It did take several hours. To cook fresh and as we call it "milk-corn" - the normal time would be anything between 20 min and 1 hour. It does take much less time to cook meet and potato in USA than it used to take back at home.

Offline Misha

• Trips: > 10
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2009, 04:15:20 PM »
My kitchen is my territory, and i don't want any advisers here, especially unwelcomed.

LOL! I agree with you, but my wife and I have a different solution. We share in the cooking. I don't tell her how to cook, she doesn't tell me how to cook, and everybody is happy  ;) It actually produces some nice variety: she cooks a variety of Russian dishes, I experiment and with the help of my cookbooks come up with my own recipes.

Offline Diplomacy

« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2009, 05:01:58 PM »
Misha

I see that as the way things are best suited for me also.  As long as it tastes good, who cares.  She has liked what I have made so far.  I can not wait until we get things going in the kitchen.

In Ukraine it was tough to figure out what they did and did not have.  I was more the prep person, the second trip not as much as I would have liked.  I just could not get my energy to normal.

I already have a long things they want to taste.  Avocado came up this week. 

Offline JR

• Hey, what do I know?
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2009, 08:10:58 PM »
Avocados are gooooood :)
Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of somebody else :)

Offline mies

« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2009, 11:01:45 PM »
...my wife and I have a different solution. We share in the cooking. I don't tell her how to cook, she doesn't tell me how to cook, and everybody is happy  ;)

actually - we do that too with my husband - we take turns on who "owns" the kitchen  :D
Sometimes we also help each other with minor tasks, but we do not question the procedure - just do what was asked. For example if he asks me to cut veggies in very tiny pieces, or add some specific sauce or spice - i wouldn't discuss it even if in "my cooking" i do everything differently. In the same way he helps me. It really makes process very smooth, and exactly as you said - gives variety. I like to be surprised by his dishes, he likes to be surprised by mine. I guess it's a pretty good deal  :D

Offline mies

« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2009, 11:03:39 PM »
Avocados are gooooood :)

guacamole... yummy.... :P

Offline Doll

« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2009, 04:30:06 AM »
Frankly speaking - i don't see the point of asking the questions of this format, other than to humiliate your partner publicly letting everybody tell you "yeah, she's strange" and letting know your partner she is wrong - showing her the online proof how she is weird and you were right.
We all got it. Same with telling stories about driving or operating washing machines
here.
Have I ever mentioned(the answer is no) that my husband cooks shrimp for almost an hour? He is born American BTW. Never. I just let him cook it as long as he wants (he never listens to me))), try to not eat it and if I want I cook for myself- 3-4 minutes like it is supposed to be.
About corn. Just a tiny knowledge  about NOT growing corn in Russia would do the job (I am from the very south where they do it).

Offline JR

• Hey, what do I know?
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2009, 07:59:41 PM »
guacamole... yummy.... :P

I live in the upper Ojai valley and you just walk down the street and pick avacodoes right off the neighbor's trees. A friend on another block makes THE BEST gauco EVER!

Offline mies

« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2009, 12:33:49 AM »
I live in the upper Ojai valley and you just walk down the street and pick avacodoes right off the neighbor's trees. A friend on another block makes THE BEST gauco EVER!

Avocados don't grow in our climate, but FoodCity and other supermarket chains provide a constant avocado supply :-) i was told by our flattering Mexican friends that i make real Mexican guacamole. ;D

Offline Diplomacy

« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2009, 03:57:10 AM »
I did my undergrad at Johnson and Wales, so a lot of my fraternity brothers are chefs.  I will tell you what I learned in the frat house, about cooking may have been of greater use than a lot of the courses.

Cooking if allowed to be is an edible art and expression of self.  It is the fastest was to gain comfort, when away from your native home.  Since I grew up in New England, and got to Texas as fast as I could. 8)

Variety is the spice of life as they say.  We all have a wonderful opportunity to add variety to each others life.  Even cooking New England staples in Texas is a treat for my friends here.

I like my kitchen to be a passport of the world.  I try to learn how to make cuisine from as many cultures as I can.  Then I play fusion chef.  I combine spices from one culture to cuisine from another culture.  I have made some stuff, for it was not food that went quickly into the trash.  Other times it is great and I add it to my recipe collection.

Life is about choices, and you should use the kitchen as a wonderful place. 

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541282
Total Topics: 20859
Most Online Today: 2190
Most Online Ever: 12701