It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Arrival at LAX Nov 2014  (Read 86379 times)

Offline calmissile

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Re: Arrival at LAX Nov 2014
« Reply #150 on: July 05, 2015, 04:48:54 PM »
Thanks to you all from Larissa and I for the congrats.

Kiwi, I don't necessarily consider it a rocky start.  I would do it all over again for the education and opportunity to live with the village people.  It beats the  heck out of just reading about it.   LOL
Doug (Calmissile)

Offline calmissile

« Reply #151 on: July 05, 2015, 04:59:59 PM »
As reported earlier, July 3 is our anniversary (2 years).  The night before, Larissa had spent 2 hours preparing an ‘anniversary cake’ for us to celebrate with the following day.  I had asked her about finding a babysitter so that we could go out in the evening dancing or Karaoke to celebrate.

I am not sure if this is a cultural norm for Ukraine or unique to her, but her response was “Why do we need to go out?  We are family and can celebrate at home as a family.”  Works for me, as we don’t have a babysitter available anyway.

One of her Ukraine girlfriends called her and told her about an international food supermarket in Claremont, about ½ hour west of us.  We decided that we would give it a try the next morning and check it out.  She was told they have unbelievable prices on nearly everything and a large selection of produce not available at our local supermarket.  Since she is a fantastic cook, anything I can do to assist is to my benefit.   LOL

As we pulled out of the driveway, Larissa noticed that the mailman just left something in our mailbox.  She bailed out of the truck even before I completely stopped.  She came running back all joyful holding two envelopes.  I knew it had to be from USCIS/Homeland Security by the expression on her face.

As I pulled away she opened the envelopes and soon had a puzzled look on her face.  It was difficult to read anything while driving, but taking a glance at them it appeared that Lisa was sent two identical copies of Form I-512L Authorization for Parole of an Alien Into the United States.  Larissa received only a Form I-797, Notice of Action.  Approval of I-765 Application for Employment.  I was not able to read the details at the time.  Larissa was concerned that Lisa had received permission to travel and then return to the USA, but she did not receive the same document.
I decided it was time to test her sense of humor.  I told Larissa that the government granted permission for Lisa to leave but she cannot leave.  She is stuck with me whether she likes it or not.  Good thing she has a good sense of humor and can tell when I am kidding.

We did find the international food market in Claremont.  It is a chain called Super King.  True to her friend’s word, the prices are incredible.  Fresh produce from ½ to 2/3 off from our local market prices.  The selection is incredible.  Produce I don’t even recognize.  We ended up spending about $340 and had to make 2 trips to the truck to load it all.

After arriving back home, I pulled out the documents she received today and read them carefully.  It appears that the mail from USCIS got separated and in the next few days she should receive the missing ones.  Larissa asked about the specifics of the document she received and I explained that she was granted permission to work, and should do so ASAP.  She grunted with a smile out of the corner of her mouth.

After reading her I-797 in detail, it turns out it is a notice of approval of her I-765 employment authorization along with form I-512L her parole document (travel document).  The I-797 is simply a notice that both have been approved and it states that the actual I-765 and I-512 will be sent under separate cover.  Hopefully they will arrive in the next few days.

To keep this in context, remember that we were married in Ukraine and both Larissa and Lisa came to the US on a Tourist Visa and then decided to do the AOS rather than return to file a CR-1 and CR-2.  When doing the AOS, you can apply for everything at once.

I was reviewing the appointments for Larissa and Lisa for the immigration interview and discovered that they have appointments 25 minutes apart.  I was expecting that it would be a combined interview.  Not sure what to expect.  Did other members have separate interviews for young children?

Upon arriving home, we put away the groceries and Larissa asked me to BBQ steaks for our anniversary dinner.  We had purchased what I thought was a Filet Mignon roast at the new food market.  Larissa asked how thick to cut the steaks and I told her about 1 ½ inches.  She brought out a plate of the ‘steaks’ that I could not recognize.  They were not even steaks.  They were pieces of meat and gristle that fell apart.  Not sure if I made a  mistake in not knowing what I was buying or if this mess comes by some other name.  I usually buy Filet roasts and cut the steaks to the thickness I want.  I ended up cooking the mess anyway and it was acceptable, but not what I am used to.  I won’t be buying the same thing there again.

Later in the evening Larissa called me for dessert and she presented the ‘anniversary cake’, complete with 2 candles for 2 years of marriage.  She also found an unopened bottle of Baileys I had stashed away a long time ago.  It was great.  Larissa laughingly told me that Lisa did not understand why she did not get dressed in a wedding dress and get married in a church today.  She had to explain to her that you don’t get married every anniversary, it is just a celebration of another year of marriage.

The following day is July 4 and Redlands has a large celebration all day including parades, picnics, live entertainment, etc.   It is capped off with a large fireworks display at the University of Redlands stadium.  You can either sit in the bleacher stands or like thousands, camp out on the grass with blankets and your coolers and food.  We chose the picnic scenario on the grass.  The performance was fantastic.  There were aircraft flyovers, and about 12 parachutists that landed in the stadium.  It culminated with the awsome fireworks display.  Larissa was worried about Lisa’s response to the fireworks explosions, as she was in fear of the explosions from Maiden when they lived within a mile of there during the protests.  Lisa took it in stride and did not seem to be affected.  I remember that when in Kiev, Larissa would turn up the music so that Lisa could not hear the gunfire, bombs, etc.  All is well that ends well.  Lisa is also a little scared of policemen in uniform.  During Maiden, the militia parked their vehicles outside their apartment and had visible rifles while camped out there.   The residents were afraid to go outside until they left.  I expect she will get over this fear with some time.

Lastly, a little humor about advantages of UA women with a nice figure and high heels.  We parked about a mile from the fireworks location.  Parking was unbelievable.  I ended up parking in a face in angle parking spot.  When we returned to the car, traffic was backed up all the way from the stadium.  It was single lane and there was no way in hell anyone could back out into the stopped traffic lane.  Larissa said “Wait a minute, I will help you” and bailed out of the truck.  I look in the mirror and here she is stopping traffic and waving for me to back up.  Standing in front of the car that stopped it’s a wonder she did not get an earful from them.  Legs exposed, high heels, blonde, gets things done.  LOL.  I had to chuckle as we joined traffic and the other guys are still stuck in their parking places.

We need to remember that on my 'vacation trip' to Ukraine, Larissa is the one that drove to the airport and recovered my missing luggage before we ever met in person.  What a gal of action!
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 02:10:29 AM by calmissile »
Doug (Calmissile)

Offline southernX

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #152 on: July 05, 2015, 06:19:49 PM »
congrats on the anniversay doug  :clapping: :clapping:

your family is welding together nicely & building some wonderfull  memories to look back on

beautifull pics of you all as well !!!!

id agree with your thoughts on the child discipline issues , i also found it worked better  to let my wife continue with the day to day discipline ,keep a united position on any issues  and only step in once invited to add my voice
however we did not really have a lot anyway

it is very usual in our home to celebrate ''in '' my wife firmly believes we  can cook and celebrate much better with family at ''home '' for bthdays , anniversarys etc,

however,  ballet, theatre , concerts and other events are all welcomed with excitement, and some pampering

SX

Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.

Offline HoundDaddyLee

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
« Reply #153 on: July 07, 2015, 05:02:03 PM »
Beautiful family Doug. You all look so very happy. Enjoyed the story about Larissa stopping traffic!  8)

HDL

Offline Muzh

« Reply #154 on: July 08, 2015, 02:48:40 PM »
Dude!!

You look like you dropped a few pounds!!!

And your skin!! Looks great! What's your secret?  ;)

Anyway, great pix. Everyone smiling.

Good job!
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead. Thomas Paine - The American Crisis 1776-1783

Offline calmissile

« Reply #155 on: July 08, 2015, 06:06:41 PM »
Dude!!

Anyway, great pix. Everyone smiling.

Good job!
Only about 10 lbs so far.  Wifey doesn't seem to want me to loose weight.  It is hard to resist her cooking.   :D

Skin color......just change the lighting.

Thanks for the compliments.
Doug (Calmissile)

Offline Anotherkiwi

• Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #156 on: July 08, 2015, 06:22:17 PM »
Dude!!

:ROFL:

Classic!   :thumbsup:

Offline Hammer2722

• Spouse's Country: Belarus
« Reply #157 on: July 08, 2015, 06:56:26 PM »
Great pics Doug, and Happy Anniversary! May have many many more.  :clapping:
every ship can be a minesweeper at least once...

Offline Muzh

« Reply #158 on: July 09, 2015, 09:05:47 AM »
:ROFL:

Classic!   :thumbsup:

I thought that comment was going to bring a hive of activity.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead. Thomas Paine - The American Crisis 1776-1783

Offline jone

« Reply #159 on: July 09, 2015, 05:15:02 PM »
It really was a Beeautiful comment.
Kissing girls is a goodness.  It beats the hell out of card games.  - Robert Heinlein

Offline calmissile

« Reply #160 on: July 11, 2015, 09:30:18 PM »
There was a surprise waiting for me at dinner tonight.  I saw a photo recently on the forum (I think) of a beer bottle shoved up a chicken. Earlier this afternoon Larissa brought me a poured beer and I refused it because it makes me sleepy and I had a lot of work to do.  I just figured she drank part of it and was giving me the balance.

I sat down to chicken for dinner and it was the best, most moist chicken I can remember having.  It turned out she did the same thing that the photo portrayed.   Too bad I didn't know about it.  I could have taken a photo.

Have your girlfriends and wives give it a try.  The beer ads a delicious mild flavor and the chicken will melt in your mouth.  I wonder if the same idea would work on a turkey?  Mine always came out dry no matter what I did.   :D
Doug (Calmissile)

Offline BillyB

« Reply #161 on: July 11, 2015, 10:00:18 PM »
Have your girlfriends and wives give it a try. 

I might get slapped if I tell my wife to shove a bottle up a chicken.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline Muzh

« Reply #162 on: July 12, 2015, 12:22:34 PM »

I might get slapped if I tell my wife to shove a bottle up a chicken.

After what your MIL taught you about sex? I don't think so. ;)

Offline alex330

« Reply #163 on: July 12, 2015, 12:36:00 PM »
Have your girlfriends and wives give it a try.  The beer ads a delicious mild flavor and the chicken will melt in your mouth. 

My wife does the same thing, but pours the beer into a jar and adds seasoning. Seems to be a favorite Ukrainian recipe. The American version is beer can chicken on the grill.

Offline calmissile

Battle in the garden
« Reply #164 on: July 19, 2015, 01:28:51 PM »
Just when things are going great, a new challenge arises.  Larissa planted a nice garden and has apparently invited all the neighborhood varmits over for dinner.  This morning she came into the house from the patio, madder than a wet hen.   Seems that one of the critters ate her prized pepper.  I can't eat them but she planted them anyway.  Lisa eats them like apples.

What I found funny is that whatever it was, spit out the red seeds.  It also ate the tops off the plant.  I hope the critter gets severe heartburn from the pepper, the same as it would give me.    :D

The peppers and some of the tomatoes are on the patio, so not practical to try and fence in.  I would love to rig a 50 KV electric fence, but with Lisa I can't.  So far, I am lucky that they have not eaten the tomatoes.
Doug (Calmissile)

Offline calmissile

Battle in the garden
« Reply #165 on: July 19, 2015, 02:41:37 PM »
Mystery solved.  While I was adjusting the Infrared settings on the security cameras in order to catch the culprit next time, I took a break and was looking at the photos I posted.  Something looked strange about photo #1.  I went out to the half eaten pepper and sure enough my suspicion was correct.  It was  actually a bug that ate her pepper.

When Larissa got home from shopping I asked to go out and inspect her pepper and tell me if she saw anything strange.  Nope!  I then showed her the photo I posted.  Nope, nothing strange.  After pointing it out again in the photo, she went running out and inspected it again.  I wish I had a photo of her pouting over her lost pepper.    :)

With the help of Krassie and Slumba in chat, we learned how to protect from future attacks.  Larissa and Lisa are now out in the yard inspecting all of of her garden for these bugs.  The little bastard looks like he is about to explode.  I hope he got severe heartburn from the pepper.

Just another crazy day in the Wilson family.
Doug (Calmissile)

Offline southernX

« Reply #166 on: July 19, 2015, 05:29:43 PM »
doug it is clearly one of the little buggers fav foods , so i dont think he will get heartburn anytime soon lol

simple  carbaryl type powder or spray should kill them

papriks [capsicum ] and chillis , tomatoes , cucmbers , red onions ,ruccola ,  potatoes and garlic make up the main summer salad staples from our garden ,

my wife does not use beer , she marinates all chicken in white wine , has the same effect , moist and tender as !!! melt in your mouth result !!

SX
Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.

Offline BillyB

« Reply #167 on: July 19, 2015, 10:53:04 PM »

Looks like butterfly larvae.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline calmissile

« Reply #168 on: July 29, 2015, 04:43:30 PM »
Looks like America will be getting a couple more permanent residents soon.  Larissa and Lisa had their immigration interview this morning.  All is well, and was a breeze.

For details, for what it's worth.....
The interviewer was a hispanic woman probably in her late 30's to mid 40's.  She was very pleasant.  The only issue was to get Larissa to be quiet and not push documents to her that was not asked for.

The interview began with swearing in to tell the truth.  Then it was going over the application forms which was very quick.  She only asked a few questions about "have you ever been arrested, etc?"

From this point she asked "What do you have to show you are living as a family".  I explained that we made an photo album for her of our history from first date to current activities.   She browsed through it and had no questions.  She asked when we first met and then caught herself and said " I guess it's in the photos".  She then verified our first meeting (In Kiev) by the photos.  We also showed her Larissa's drivers license with the same address as mine and showed her our joint bank account.   That was pretty much it.

For Lisa's interview, she indicated I made a mistake by including Lisa on Larissa's Affidavit of Support.  She said I will have to resubmit it.  I then mentioned that the same exact info applies and could I just copy it and redo the front page.  After thinking about it, she said "never mind, I will do it for you".

The interview ended with her telling us that everything is  fine.  She has to do the background check on Larissa today and submit the recommendation.  She said that we will receive a formal approval letter in about 10 days, and the green cards shortly thereafter.  Furthermore, she indicated that since we have been married 2 years (barely) they will receive permanent green cards.

I feel that that I finally got lucky by drawing a nice civil servant that was helpful in getting through the process.  I also feel that since we did an AOS rather than a fiance visa was a benefit.  Someone that is married for two years and living together for several months has less difficulty proving it is a bonafide marriage.

BTW, there were no questions about coming on a tourist visa and then applying for an AOS.

I  hope others find the process as easy as we did.
Doug (Calmissile)

Offline HoundDaddyLee

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
« Reply #169 on: July 29, 2015, 05:34:59 PM »
Congratulations! This is wonderful news.

HDL

Offline ML

« Reply #170 on: July 29, 2015, 05:57:50 PM »
Congratulations to Doug and family.

Doug, you applied a month after we did, but we still haven't gotten interview date even.  But that seems fair, right. :-)

The interview schedules are all dependent on the local offices.  Some get their people through in a month; others are still waiting 8 months of more.

Actually, aside from the slight anxiety involved, we are glad that our interview will be in the Fall or later.  If it had been during this summer, then 2 years from now the next interview would have also been in summer which would screw up any possibility of advance planning for Ochka's annual summer trip back to visit with family.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline BillyB

« Reply #171 on: July 29, 2015, 09:46:29 PM »
BTW, there were no questions about coming on a tourist visa and then applying for an AOS.

I've heard of people doing AOS while in country on a tourist visa without any problems. Yours is another testimony. Some guys like I may consider doing this route for in laws instead of having our spouses do the grind of getting citizenship and waiting years for approval for the in law to live in America.

Offline jone

Re: Battle in the garden
« Reply #172 on: July 29, 2015, 11:42:08 PM »
Mystery solved.  While I was adjusting the Infrared settings on the security cameras in order to catch the culprit next time, I took a break and was looking at the photos I posted.  Something looked strange about photo #1.  I went out to the half eaten pepper and sure enough my suspicion was correct.  It was  actually a bug that ate her pepper.

When Larissa got home from shopping I asked to go out and inspect her pepper and tell me if she saw anything strange.  Nope!  I then showed her the photo I posted.  Nope, nothing strange.  After pointing it out again in the photo, she went running out and inspected it again.  I wish I had a photo of her pouting over her lost pepper.    :)

With the help of Krassie and Slumba in chat, we learned how to protect from future attacks.  Larissa and Lisa are now out in the yard inspecting all of of her garden for these bugs.  The little bastard looks like he is about to explode.  I hope he got severe heartburn from the pepper.

Just another crazy day in the Wilson family.
Doug,

You appear to have a Banded Sphinx Moth caterpillar.   These are particularly pretty moths if you allow it to grow to adulthood and then form a cocoon.

I have the feeling that you didn't let the little guy hang around.
Kissing girls is a goodness.  It beats the hell out of card games.  - Robert Heinlein

Offline calmissile

« Reply #173 on: July 30, 2015, 12:12:12 AM »
I appreciate your sympathy for this beautiful little creature.  However..... I suspect that Larissa would prefer to kill all of the little bastards that are eating her prized fruits and vegetables. 
Doug (Calmissile)

Offline ML

« Reply #174 on: July 30, 2015, 07:52:51 AM »

I've heard of people doing AOS while in country on a tourist visa without any problems. Yours is another testimony. Some guys like I may consider doing this route for in laws instead of having our spouses do the grind of getting citizenship and waiting years for approval for the in law to live in America.

Billy, you are still misleading people.

To do what Doug did, a US CITIZEN files form I-130.

On form I-130, the US CITIZEN files for his/her spouse, parent (the US citizen's parent, not his/her spouse's parent), brother/sister (the US Citizen's brother/sister, not his/her spouse's brother/sister), your child (the US Citizen's child, not his/her spouse's child).

Also form I-130 can be used by lawful resident to file for his/her child . . . but only child, not parents or  brothers/sister.  This is how Doug was able to get wife's child included.

This is EXACTLY why, as you told, the spouse must 'do the grind of getting citizenship and waiting years for approval for the in-law to live in America.'

Only US CITIZEN's can get parents/brothers/sisters into USA for Green Card.

Simply read form I-130 and it's instructions.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 540997
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 1759
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 10
Guests: 1749
Total: 1759

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:20:42 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:12:54 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:02:12 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 08:45:42 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 07:59:27 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 07:04:53 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 06:59:45 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 06:57:42 PM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 06:36:52 PM

Re: Twenty Years... and Counting (MarkInTx Update) by supranatural
Yesterday at 03:02:29 PM