It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Might be visiting Moscow  (Read 7298 times)

Offline Son of Clyde

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: No Selection
Might be visiting Moscow
« on: March 20, 2005, 03:23:23 PM »
My fiance, Irina, is Ukrainian and our interpreter is Russian.

Irina has developed a friendship with our interpreter and wants to visit her when she comes to Moscow to see her family.

I would like to meet our interpreter and visit Irina too.

Any advice on travelling to Moscow, visa's, apartments, changing money etc? Is there a limit to how much money I can bring and is the visa process for me going to be more complicated? 

Thank you. 

Offline Turboguy

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
Might be visiting Moscow
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2005, 04:46:06 PM »
Hi Clyde,

I am off for Moscow in 3 days.   The apartments there are ususally a little more expensive than some other places.   I am getting one in what is supposed to be a good area for $ 60.00 a night.    The gal who arranged that for Luda and I was my interepreter there on several trips.   I can see if she can hook you up if you have any problems.   I will also be back in two weeks and can let you know how it was.

I "think" you are allowed to take in $ 3000.00 there without declaring it as opposed to the $ 1000.00 for Ukraine.    I hate to take so little but would like to avoid the Red line.   I may take a bit more, hide it in my sock safe and declare $ 2990 and hit the green line.   One of these times I am going to get in trouble.   I have been smuggled into Russia myself and brought out lots of stuff you are not supposed to.  (Icons, a nazi knife, rare coins and art but nothing really rare or anything)

The subway system is geat there.   Everything else is about like Ukraine.   I am doing some heavy sightseeing on this trip and if I see anything awsome, I will let you know.   I have seen the standard stuff like the Kremlin about 4 or 5 times.   You might find the visa stuff worse.   I always use an agency just cause I don't want to fool with it.   It is not bad.   It is actually wonderful compared to when I first went in 1996.

Offline BC

• Trips: 4 - 10
Might be visiting Moscow
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2005, 09:07:12 PM »
Turbo,

The 'red line' ain't so bad and usually not very busy.

They don't seem to care how much cash you bring in, just don't take out more than you brought in with you. I've listed 5 to 6k before without a blink from customs.

I like to list hi value items like laptop, phone, camera's etc on the form so that I can prove I brought them with me so I have no hassle on the way out.

No need to smuggle.. much less to get caught.

Offline Turboguy

Might be visiting Moscow
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2005, 02:37:33 AM »
HI BC,

Thanks, yes, I have gone through the red line myself many times.    They have never bothered me much.   Usually I don't take much in the way of camera equipment but this time I am taking my digital camcorder and a digital camera as a gift for my gal.   Her birthday is while I am there. 

Usually I don't try to smuggle anything.   That all came from one episode in 96 or 98.  I visited a lady and her family in Belarus and they smuggled me into Moscow without a visa.   We took the train and they told me just don't say anything.   He gave me a couple of handfuls of rare coins, a nazi pen knife, some old icons, and some of his artwork.  (he was a resonably famous painter)   All of that stuff is not supposed to leave the country but being a gift, I did not have much choice. 

Offline Son of Clyde

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: No Selection
Might be visiting Moscow
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2005, 04:19:01 PM »
Thanks Turboguy,

Send me a PM when you get back, I hope you have a great time.

I'm thinking I may have to forego the Moscow trip and save money for Irina's visa and airfare for her and her son, but I'm getting a decent chunk of income tax money from Uncle Sam.

I should try to decide very soon because my interpreter is visiting Moscow in June.

It would be nice if Irina will have her interview around that time but it looks like July or August.

I can't afford two trips because I need to accrue more annual leave at work.

Please post your trip report.

Offline Turboguy

Might be visiting Moscow
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2005, 06:15:37 PM »
Ok, will do.   Yes, I can relate to the cost of travel thingy.   This is starting to get to me a little.   Usually I can afford to do most anything I want, not because I have tons of money, I am just conservative about spending it.    This is 5 trips in a year and the old checking account is starting to run low.    I am planning to make two more, one just for a visit and another when it is time to bring Luda back.   My estimate on her interview is Aug 1.  Since we applied at the same time we both seem to be thinking about the same on this.    In looking at the timelines I see the interview for Vermont applicants looks like about 5 months. 

Well, I have to go pack.  I head for the airport in about 8 hours. 

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541387
Total Topics: 20862
Most Online Today: 3932
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 10
Guests: 2838
Total: 2848

+-Recent Posts

Re: The Struggle For Ukraine by krimster2
Today at 07:36:35 AM

Re: Navigating the longest story ever told by Stirlitz
Today at 02:18:56 AM

Re: The Struggle For Ukraine - Senate just passed the Bill! by Stirlitz
Today at 02:12:24 AM

Re: The Struggle For Ukraine - Senate just passed the Bill! by Trenchcoat
Today at 01:56:55 AM

Re: The Struggle For Ukraine - Senate just passed the Bill! by krimster2
Yesterday at 07:07:31 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 11:31:49 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Manny
Yesterday at 11:07:15 AM

Re: international travel by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:50:04 AM

Re: international travel by 2tallbill
Yesterday at 08:20:37 AM

Re: Trippin........... by 2tallbill
Yesterday at 08:06:00 AM