It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Coronavirus, how are you preparing for it and how it is affecting you so far?  (Read 439688 times)

Online 2tallbill

• Living the dream
  • Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
FSUW are not for entry level daters
FSUW don't do vague
FSUW like a man of action. Be a man of action 
If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane.
There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Just kiss the girl, don't ask her first. Tolerate NO excuses!

Offline jone

Coronavirus, how are you preparing for it and how it is affecting you so far?
« Reply #1951 on: April 06, 2020, 02:41:41 PM »
Hemingway Was Once Quarantined with his Wife... and Mistress
http://www.townandcountrymag.com/leisure/arts-and-culture/a31827643/hemingway-quarantine-wife-mistress/?utm_source=pocket-newtab

Reminds me of the joke about the two golfers.   One turns around and says, OMG.  My wife and mistress are in a twosome directly behind us.   His golfing buddy looked over his shoulder and said:  "Don't worry.   I have the same problem."
Kissing girls is a goodness.  It beats the hell out of card games.  - Robert Heinlein

Offline calmissile

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 4 - 10
It's easy to shelter in place today and for the next 3 days.  Not sure about LA and Orange County, but if we get much more rain in the Inland Empire, I think we are going to float away.  :)

It's a good time to catch up on indoor projects that have been put off for a long time.
Doug (Calmissile)

Offline BillyB

Allstate Insurance just today announced that because the lockdown resulted in cutting auto traffic in the US, that it would refund up to about $600 million in auto insurance premiums for a given period.

Thanks for the article. Made me happy because I use Allstate.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline GQBlues

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: None (yet)
I’m elated of the news from LA mayor Garcetti’s press briefing this evening. Starting today testing is open for everyone else albeit some qualification. Certain age bracket with medical condition, but one no longer have to have symptoms.

For you Angelenos, check LACity website for testing locations and additional information.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 06:19:21 PM by GQBlues »
Quote from: msmob
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.
3. N95 mask will choke you dead after 30 min. of use.

Offline ML

Thanks for the article. Made me happy because I use Allstate.

Me too.  Just got email that refund will be around 15%.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline LAman

I’m elated of the news from LA mayor Garcetti’s press briefing this evening. Starting today testing is open for everyone else albeit some qualification. Certain age bracket with medical condition, but one no longer have to have symptoms.

For you Angelenos, check LACity website for testing locations and additional information.

Have you heard of the drive up testing sites??

http://covid19.lacounty.gov/covid19-news/new-testing-sites/

register online for appointment( some qualifications)
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift

Offline fathertime

1.  It seems the economy would bounce back.  I haven't seen a slowdown in sales even through the virus.  People seem to have plenty of money to this point.

2.   It seems the virus isn't as bad as predicted to this point.  If the trend continues, I think America should get back to work. 

3.  I think trump has done an adequate job overall. 

4.  When things normalize I'm going to miss how empty the roads have been over the past few weeks. 

Fathertime! 
I just happened to be browsing about the internet....

Offline BillyB

I haven't seen a slowdown in sales even through the virus.

If you haven't seen a slowdown in sales, you're definitely not into selling sex. The commercial sex industry is not doing too good at this time.

Some construction projects of mine stopped but others continue. I sell computers online in my second business. Sales are doing extremely well and continues to go up. Sold $4000 worth this weekend. I figure a lot of people are staying home and want to play on a PC instead of a tiny phone. The problem is trying to get parts to build more computers. Most computer parts come from China and there is a major disruption in the supply chain, probably due to many factories and distributors having to shut down. Some are back to selling while others are still shut down.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline GQBlues

Have you heard of the drive up testing sites??

http://covid19.lacounty.gov/covid19-news/new-testing-sites/

register online for appointment( some qualifications)

LAMAN-

Quite impressive to me that both the City and County is adding and beefing up their testing services for free. To note both uninsured and illegal aliens are welcome as well.

Not sure if those drive-ups are for me though. They are only equipped with those 9” inch long sticks with a half inch diameter swabs that they insert through your nose until it bangs against the edges of your eye bone sockets, and then slowly scrape downward hard against the cartilage off your nose. :devil:  then they expect you to continue driving after that ordeal.

I think I’ll call our doctor to see if they can or will conduct testing in the offices instead. Maybe they’ll have a more humane test kits.
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.

Offline jone

LAMAN-

Quite impressive to me that both the City and County is adding and beefing up their testing services for free. To note both uninsured and illegal aliens are welcome as well.

Not sure if those drive-ups are for me though. They are only equipped with those 9” inch long sticks with a half inch diameter swabs that they insert through your nose until it bangs against the edges of your eye bone sockets, and then slowly scrape downward hard against the cartilage off your nose. :devil:  then they expect you to continue driving after that ordeal.

I think I’ll call our doctor to see if they can or will conduct testing in the offices instead. Maybe they’ll have a more humane test kits.

Absolutely.   The one your doctor has is a rectal test.
Kissing girls is a goodness.  It beats the hell out of card games.  - Robert Heinlein

Offline LAman

Absolutely.   The one your doctor has is a rectal test.

From what I hear GQ, the rectal one is 24 inches. I won't describe where it goes but women have said they would rather give child birth!!!
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift

Offline GQBlues

So where’s the nearest drive through again?

Offline BC

So where’s the nearest drive through again?

Oh, they ran out of swabs so are using these now to collect samples as they can be sterilized and reused.  They're bent so can reach an area of the sinus near the ear canal that is less sensitive.

Offline GenMish

CDC greatly lowers death projections from CV19
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/cdc-he...spartanntp

One of the nation’s top public health officials suggested Monday that because Americans are taking social distancing recommendations “to heart,” the death toll from the novel coronavirus will be “much, much, much lower” than models have projected.

Offline BillyB

CDC greatly lowers death projections from CV19
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/cdc-he...spartanntp

One of the nation’s top public health officials suggested Monday that because Americans are taking social distancing recommendations “to heart,” the death toll from the novel coronavirus will be “much, much, much lower” than models have projected.

That's good news and bad news. If social distancing is the answer to save lives, it will prevent us from efficiently working and alter our behavior forever unless a vaccine is found.

We have more knowledge and technology than ever before. Every lab in the world capable of making a vaccine is working on a vaccine. There has never been this level of effort to look for a vaccine in history. Hope we succeed.

Offline BC

Keep expectations low and be pleased when it turns out a trend is definite.

Had several 'false hopes' here in Italy.  Seems to come in waves.  What does seem consistent is that if this is THE peak in the US it is very similar to the peak here in Italy when population differences are calculated.

[edit]   On the 'upslope', doubling of daily infections was 3-4 days, on the 'downslope' seems we're at 10 or days so to halve.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2020, 11:04:27 AM by BC »

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
Now.. for Trench ..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-52183888

for the next time you THINK it's smart to drive to see family ..

..and finally to BoJo's family .. hoping he recovers fully .. it is a shame that it takes your illness to wake ( some of ) us up to how serious this could be ..

They can always appeal the fine Mobe, take it to court, etc. If he can prove that it fell under one of the reasons to be out or didn't pose any greater risk than staying at home then he should get off. That said I think he will have difficulty, I think he was having a laugh at the ridiculousness of saying you could be on a shop whenever.

My situation is different to that guy, I am travelling to my home address which is permissible and I travel alone and live alone at my other home address so don't pose any greater risk from the travelling.

Today my company write to me to inform me I am a Key Worker :D I never thought in all my life I would become of such great importance, yet that day has finally come! Enclosed was a letter to show Police should I be stopped. I take it as a sign that the lockdown is soon to be ramped up.
"If you make your own bread, then and only then, are you a free man unchained and alive living in pooty tang paradise, or say no and live in Incel island with all the others." - Krimster

Offline msmob

Trench, you can BS yourself all you want, but a govt minister in Scotland and one in NZ have either resigned or been demoted and admitted they were DUMB for behaving as you do ..

STAY at HOME ... means home - singular..

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦

Had several 'false hopes' here in Italy.  Seems to come in waves.  What does seem consistent is that if this is THE peak in the US it is very similar to the peak here in Italy when population differences are calculated.

Indeed, I agree. We are all likely to be in lockdown for a significant time. At the moment various media, governments, politicians even scientists are making out it will just be a few more weeks, it will be over in May, etc. This is all BS as it's likely to take months. Rate of new infections need to fall to zero then a few weeks pass before lockdowns can be lifted otherwise it all starts up again.

Recent news is that we/it can infect animals. That means it's likely to lengthen the time lockdowns continue. If cats, birds etc can catch it then that will lengthen the whole thing out most likely.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/world-us-canada-52177586
"If you make your own bread, then and only then, are you a free man unchained and alive living in pooty tang paradise, or say no and live in Incel island with all the others." - Krimster

Offline GQBlues

Oh, they ran out of swabs so are using these now to collect samples as they can be sterilized and reused.  They're bent so can reach an area of the sinus near the ear canal that is less sensitive.

What on earth would anyone device an instrument like that for?

A bit difficult to gauge overall US curve as NY is throwing the graph out of whack. If we are just to take NY, I'd be cautiously 'optimistic' at best. I just don't think they've reached apex yet, IMO. They've flattened out the last 2-3 days but I have a nasty feeling this is more a short respite for some reason. Just a hunch.

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
Trench, you can BS yourself all you want, but a govt minister in Scotland and one in NZ have either resigned or been demoted and admitted they were DUMB for behaving as you do ..

STAY at HOME ... means home - singular..

But it won't make any difference if I'm at home alone or in my car alone. My chances of catching the virus for both are presumably zero.

Offline BC

What on earth would anyone device an instrument like that for?

Posted in jest, but it is described as nasal biopsy forceps- ouch!

A bit difficult to gauge overall US curve as NY is throwing the graph out of whack. If we are just to take NY, I'd be cautiously 'optimistic' at best. I just don't think they've reached apex yet, IMO. They've flattened out the last 2-3 days but I have a nasty feeling this is more a short respite for some reason. Just a hunch.

Let's hope your hunch is wrong - guess we both agree on that point.

For state data found this page pretty informative although a bit slow updating.

http://www.politico.com/interactives/2020/coronavirus-testing-by-state-chart-of-new-cases/

I'd keep eyes out for Connecticut and Oklahoma as possible upcoming hotspots.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2020, 11:16:12 AM by BC »

Offline GQBlues

We just now received a memo from our safety director that one of our mechanic started displaying coronavirus symptoms overnight and didn't make it to work this morning. Our maintenance shop is well within our office compound and it isn't out of norm for shop employees, field personnel, etc...to be seen, or speak with the engineering department staff.

They will make his test result available once they received it. In the meantime, everyone that came in close contact with him have all been asked to quarantine. It's been over two weeks now that we have a crew sanitizing all our facilities, including offices, on a daily basis.

But it just goes to show you how highly transmissible this virus is. I've said before, IMO, the bigger threat are not those who shows symptoms but those who are asymptomatic.

A wife of one of our project managers works as a nurse and is actively treating coronavirus patients at the hospital she works at. He's been asked to work from home because of it until further notice. Presently, we have 6 employees already working from home aside from the addition to this morning's news.

Crazy. Everyone's office doors are closed and is very quiet on the hallways...

Offline SteveInBoston

• Trips: 1 - 3
But it won't make any difference if I'm at home alone or in my car alone. My chances of catching the virus for both are presumably zero.

True.  If you never touch the petrol pump, never touch doors or other surfaces of toilets, don't go to stores for snacks or such, don't touch any other object between your home and your destination that is not touched by anyone else...

Stay home. 

Police Scotland Chief Constable Iain Livingstone said ""The legal instructions on not leaving your home without a reasonable excuse apply to everyone.

"Social distancing is the key intervention to curtail the spread of coronavirus and it is essential that the instructions are followed to protect each other, take strain from the NHS and save lives.

"Individuals must not make personal exemptions bespoke to their own circumstances."

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541008
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 1882
Total: 1893

+-Recent Posts

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 01:09:03 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:51:13 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:33:48 PM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:24:44 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 11:16:08 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by ML
Today at 10:31:43 AM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 09:47:10 AM

What to do by 2tallbill
Today at 09:37:41 AM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Today at 09:18:17 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 07:00:25 AM