It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Trenchcoat FSU Trip Reports  (Read 15037 times)

Offline Boethius

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: No Selection
Re: Trenchcoat FSU Trip Reports
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2016, 11:17:52 AM »
We got around a fair few places together, but if she wasn't there, well, put it this way it is not a touristy set up like many would be used to in European Cities, sure there are tourist places to visit but its not like they set the city up for tourism, like London, Paris, Rome, Copenhagen, etc. For many first time visitors it would be like you arrive there and like where do I go, just buildings all around you, few obvious starting points apart from the shopping centre & odd restaurant and that is in the city centre.

I am shaking my head at this.  From your hotel, you could have walked to virtually every tourist attraction in Kyiv - St. Sophia, Andriivsky Uzviz, which leads to Podil, St. Michael's. St. Andrew's Church, the Opera House, Shevchenko University, St. Vladimir's Church, the Golden Gates.  You were a couple bus stops from Pecherska Lavra. 

Do you think tourists landing in Paris automatically know how to get to the Eiffel Tower, or the Louvre, or Sacre Coeur? 

Odessa, is much better on that front as they are a tourist destination for most of Ukraine, etc though even there it is not as fully fledged tourist set up like many European Cities, i.e the beach is quite old skool, as a bit of a walk across rough terrain in many parts.

Yes, but, as others have noted, it is the con capital of Ukraine for many reasons, and has been for well over a century. 

Remember, if you are going there thinking you will have the "pick of the litter" among vacationing Ukrainians, there are Ukrainian men vacationing as well.  Men with stomachs as flat as washboards, chiseled features, and tanned bodies.  They will also have saved their money, and if they are pursuing a girl, in their tradition, they will pay for everything for her.  Can you compete, and if you can, are you willing to do so?

Just telling it like it is here, its fine so long as people are aware not to expect the usual European City tourism deal. There's plenty of places to eat out but some of these, many for Kiev are more for the local, particularly as you get more away from the centre.

They'll take your money in restaurants frequented by locals, even if you're a foreigner.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 11:19:50 AM by Boethius »
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline alex330

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2016, 11:27:12 AM »
I am shaking my head at this.  From your hotel, you could have walked to virtually every tourist attraction in Kyiv - St. Sophia, Andriivsky Uzviz, which leads to Podil, St. Michael's. St. Andrew's Church, the Opera House, Shevchenko University, St. Vladimir's Church, the Golden Gates.  You were a couple bus stops from Pecherska Lavra.

For sightseeing yes, you can run around town. My wife and I did much of it one day together. But for a single man to meet or run into a woman, there were none at any of those places.   We saw one girl doing a photoshoot for what looked like an agency on the front steps of the museum. That was it.

[/size]

Remember, if you are going there thinking you will have the "pick of the litter" among vacationing Ukrainians, there are Ukrainian men vacationing as well.  Men with stomachs as flat as washboards, chiseled features, and tanned bodies.  They will also have saved their money, and if they are pursuing a girl, in their tradition, they will pay for everything for her.  Can you compete, and if you can, are you willing to do so?

Let's be honest here. Most Ukrainian men are not chiseled or tanned, in fact most have no muscle on them at all. Most I have seen and know are "skinny fat" as we call it. Skinny but with no muscle at all.

The latter part I agree. They are more chivalrous than many men in the West and will spend more for a womans affection. Many will dress better as well.

Offline Boethius

• Trips: No Selection
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2016, 11:35:15 AM »
Most of the UM I know do have chiseled features.  Bodies run the gamut.  On the banks of the Dnipro, I have never seen a fat UM.  I have seen muscled bodies, and slim but fit bodies.

Ukrainian tourists who go to Odesa go not only for the beach, but to go to clubs.  If you've been to those clubs, you have seen that men there are younger, slimmer, and fitter than the average "MOB" seeker. 
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 11:41:29 AM by Boethius »
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline Anotherkiwi

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2016, 05:48:07 PM »
Says he that has done 1-3 trips (I assume you have made at least one trip to FSU and that is not just s chosen base default).

I've probably only mentioned my trips in about 1,000 posts! Easy enough to miss, I suppose, if you only read threads where you yourself have posted.

Yes, I saw the beach with her, but the time that I was visiting was late March so it was not exactly sunbathing weather. The weather was generally pretty good most days bar one, but even that wasn't too bad. However, it was nowhere near hot enough for that, and no one was there, it also looked like a huge wilderness backing onto it, maybe it is better in the summer but it did not look enticing at that point in the year.

Fair enough - I'd forgotten the timing of that trip of yours.  Rest assured, it looks MUCH better in summer.

We got around a fair few places together, but if she wasn't there, well, put it this way it is not a touristy set up like many would be used to in European Cities, sure there are tourist places to visit but its not like they set the city up for tourism, like London, Paris, Rome, Copenhagen, etc. For many first time visitors it would be like you arrive there and like where do I go, just buildings all around you, few obvious starting points apart from the shopping centre & odd restaurant and that is in the city centre.

And how is that different from London?  I'm inclined to agree with Boethius here - NO city greets you with signs saying "This way to Tourist Attraction Number One!!!!"  You have to do your research (due diligence if you like) to find out where everything is.  I spent a lot of time looking at guide books before I ever went to the UK and Europe.

Odessa, is much better on that front as they are a tourist destination for most of Ukraine, etc though even there it is not as fully fledged tourist set up like many European Cities, i.e the beach is quite old skool, as a bit of a walk across rough terrain in many parts.

Which beach are you talking about?  Access to Arcadia is certainly not across rough terrain (not where I went, anyway).

Just telling it like it is here, its fine so long as people are aware not to expect the usual European City tourism deal. There's plenty of places to eat out but some of these, many for Kiev are more for the local, particularly as you get more away from the centre.

I honestly didn't see any difference at all in that respect between Kyiv and European cities I've visited.  The only landmark I had a slight problem locating was the Golden Gate, and I realised eventually that it was simply because I'd gone out of the wrong exit from the Metro station.  :(  As for eating, that is exactly the same as every other city I've ever been to, anywhere in the world.  Why should you expect Kyiv to be different?

My FSU history is good, I've studied it so no mistaking who Lenin is ;)

Glad to hear it.  Now all you need to do is spend a bit more time studying Ukraine.

Offline treadmilldude

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2016, 09:35:34 PM »

TMD,

Until you actually make a trip. Please STFU. I think I speak for most on here.

That is all.

HDL

HDL, until you can actually get an attractive FSU woman to spend more than 5 minutes alone with you in the same room due to your very sporadic showering habits, Please STFU. I think I speak for most on here. Take a shower you smelly old man!

That is all.

treadmilldude (every FSU woman dreams of meeting a young man as kind, sweet, gentle and loving as treadmilldude. You cannot find a sweeter, more loving man than TMD)

HDL (every FSU woman wishes to avoid having to meet such a rude, vulgar, crass, arrogant,  conceited hateful old man in Depends. HDL gives new meaning to the term lacking in empathy)

A picture of HDL's last date in Ukraine "trying" to look sexy....
(he can only get the skanks).

« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 12:08:25 AM by treadmilldude »

Offline alex330

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2016, 09:42:23 PM »
Which beach are you talking about?  Access to Arcadia is certainly not across rough terrain (not where I went, anyway).

Most of the beaches in Odessa are not very accessible. You have the hill and green zone as a buffer between the Sea and the city.

Arkadia like you mention is easier to get to as well as Riviera Beach. Otrada Beach you can take the 372 year old cable car that miraculously still runs or the long and winding stairs with levels. Some other beaches you must climb down the crumbling hillside as I recall.

Offline LAman

« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2016, 12:01:58 AM »

Most of the beaches in Odessa are not very accessible. You have the hill and green zone as a buffer between the Sea and the city.

Arkadia like you mention is easier to get to as well as Riviera Beach. Otrada Beach you can take the 372 year old cable car that miraculously still runs or the long and winding stairs with levels. Some other beaches you must climb down the crumbling hillside as I recall.

It is a short 20 minute walk from centre to lanzheron beach( no hills or green zones). This is beach right next to Otrada. You can head south and <20 minutes hit Arkadia. Riviera beach you need taxi, it is on 12th Fontana.
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift

Offline msmobyone

• patriotism is the last vestige of fools, but hey
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2016, 12:30:18 AM »
HDL, until you can actually get an attractive FSU woman to spend more than 5 minutes alone with you in the same room due to your very sporadic showering habits, Please STFU. I think I speak for most on here.

Nope, TMD

You failed to notice the 'outcry' at HDL's suggestion .. 

I don't seek to be popular - I often get what I deserve - but you need to stop posting like you have experience, when all you are doing is 'validating' the experience of others.....

Why are you still in keyboard romeo mode ?  Get over to the FSU and post something MEANINGFUL
Please excuse the Curmudgeon in my posts ..he will be cured by being reunited with his loved one ;)

Offline Anotherkiwi

• Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2016, 05:15:40 PM »

I didn't post any photos here of the cable car, but I used it!  :o  I spent parts of three days with a friend in Odessa (he's a former Kiwi who now lives in Melbourne), and we went to Otrada one day - walked down the hill beside a sports club and onto the sand (yep - sand, not stones  :D), then along the beach and back up to the main road via the cable car.  It's certainly an experience to savour.

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541011
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 1908
Total: 1919

+-Recent Posts

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 04:37:18 PM

If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Today at 04:17:08 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 02:48:08 PM

Today at 01:09:03 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:51:13 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:33:48 PM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:24:44 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 11:16:08 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by ML
Today at 10:31:43 AM

Today at 09:47:10 AM