It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Re: She wants me to guarantee her security in the US before she comes...  (Read 34446 times)

Offline Paulie

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Cheep and free wife? No foreign wife is cheap and free. I just believe that every man ( male ) wants to be beloved how he is and what person he is, not depending on his wallet's size.

Tulip, you are correct: We all want to be loved and that love should not be dependent on my wallet.  Financial security should be between two people and they should plan that together. 

Someone's love for me should not be based on how much money I can give them and how much security I will provide.  That is not how my grandparents married and lived. 
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 08:34:19 AM by Paulie »

Offline Patagonie

• >25 travels
  • Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: > 10
For personal reasons i have had to study the problem of mariage and divorce and make a choice about the contract i needed to choice.

It is presupposed that there are an important difference in earning and asset between the man and the woman (in favor of the man).

What is fair first ? Is it when someone improves his wealth ?
What is unfair first ? Someone who has lost something compare to what he had or what he should have got ?
What do you mean by loose ?
What is equality, which equality ? Are people equals ?

1/The standard marriage  in my country is all in common from the date in marriage and previous assets and inheritance separated. The problem with this one is that gift or inheritance are not really protected, if the money had come through the common bank account, the judge will consider that (depending of his mood) it is common (so now some family are very reluctant to give any money to theirs childrens, to avoid his dissolution trough the community). The second problem is that those assets are creating an overvalue in two ways : the judge will take account of this in the compensatory allowance and if it is the case any added value (difference between the divorce price and the mariage price) need to be shared. But often the added value has nothing to do with wifey.

2/The all shared community means what it means : you share all by two the day of the mariage. You need to go to a notarius prior the town hall.
In fact any standard marriage, and especially for the youngest,  become a all shared community minus inheritance or gifts (but we have seen that in the reality, that inheritance and gifts money are not guaranted and can be dissolved in the community)

3/ the separated mariage. You need to go to a notarius prior the town hall.

As some has highlighted here, the law means nothing. The best is to study the case-laws. It is what i have done throug dozens common divorce judgement and one hundred who had been courted in the high court (about the compensatory allowance).

75% of people who are asking divorce are women.
    Wifes have the custody of childrens in 75 %, 17 % both and 6% of men get it.

Wifes get the alimony for children (proportional to men's income)
              Eventually the woman gets a personal pension till the divorce is pronounced
            The judge order, in case the couple have bought a house/appartment (many times), to the man to leave it without compensation. The equivallent in rental will be deducted from the compasatory allowance later. As a result the man instantly has to pay : all pensions, his own rent, 
           After divorce wifey adds alimony to her income but deduct childrens from her taxes, which is always reduce her taxes, even in the worst case, and can help her to pay no taxes on income.
           She gets specials helps for childrens from governement.
           She gets specials helps from governement provided that her total income is not too high.
            She gets miscealleneous helps, depending of her income and many others things.  The motto is that govnerment helps as soon as you close to the low middle class or poor one.
            For those who are believe that in case of shared custody the man will have nothing to pay, you are wrong. He will pay between half and 2/3 of what he should pay in case of a classical women custody.

The guy, if he has an income above the median wage gets nothing.
            His taxes will explode after the divorce and generally as wifey is in the house he continues to pay the mortgage, and the pensions, and a new rent, and with this amazing comptability he must find the money to pay the future compensatory alimony to solve his divorce. If he has no cash i let you understand how it is easy to borrow the compensatory alimony, knowing how sensitive to the cold are banks, especially after 6 years of crisis. For all common assets he must have to pay 2.5%, and the price for the notarius, and also the money for the attorney. He is rich, so he is supposed to pay, and attorneys will push women to get the maximum. Add also that divorce judges are mainly women, in more than 80 % and they don't want to give up the compensatory alimony, which is the ultimate weapon of the judge.

"prestation compensatoire de niveau de vie" in french (compensatoy alimony) means litteraly : an alimony to compensate the difference in style of life the wife before and after the divorce.
              The policy applied by judges is that wifes have made some sacrifices, or if a disparity was existing before it was a couple decision.
              Generally it is false. Women would have never earn more than what they do today. When some have not been capable to work it has been for economical or personals reasons.
            It  is true that some men don't want to see theirs wifes working. But at the end it makes no difference if he agrees or not : nothing will be deduced from the compensatory allowance.
            Again the system is biased : the marriage contract is empty. All depends of simple parameters : number of childrens, length of mariage, total income of each during the length of mariage, perspectives of pension for each in the future.
            Where is it mentionned who will work, how many children thay want ? BLANK. But if wifey wants three and hubby one, after the divorce hubby will pay for three. Not the same, but for judge a simple calculation sheet will be used and the amount calculated in accordance with the number.
            Only 2% of women are paying an compensatory alimony but the the spread in earning between sex, all parameters corrected, is 9 % now. Curious no ?

Today it is simple : a couple with a 10 to 2 difference (one is making 10000 and one is making 2000) when they divorce after 20 years of mariage at 45. The man who had bring 83 % of the wealth (both creating for 600000 of real asset) will get half and because of the compensatory alimony (110000 here), he will get only 32 %. The woman is here multiplying by 5 her contribution.

I have said that the policy applied for ANY couple is that the woman had made some sacrifices.
            So the logical question is :  Is a RW making some sacrifices ? OF COURSE more than any western women. But is the reward the same ?  is the only compensatory alimony enough rewarding or protecting ?
           In a country where the GDP per year is along four digits more than five the reward is really higher than any life she would have had.  Is the wealth of the FSU lady has increased, significantly or not ? The answer depends of how long is the mariage because the compensatory alimony depends on the length.  She can choice to return to FSU with an amount which will make her considered as well off . She can stay here with all the inconvenients and advantage of my country plus this compensatory alimony AND all we have detailled previously.

Here in my country the issues are not to discuss if you have to get married and halve all. It is clear that the standard marriage and the all common marriage are so disfavorable to men who earn more than average people (which should be the case of any marriage between western and FSU women for obvious reasons) that many don't even want to sign it, and especially those who have suffered of a previous divorce.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 03:16:07 PM by Patagonie »
"Je glissais through the paper wall, an angel in the hand, s taboy. I lay on the floor, surgi des chants de Maldoror, je mix l'intégrale de mes nuits de crystal, i belong to the festival.

Offline Patagonie

• >25 travels
I am perfectly fine with the community property divorce laws. If they are that fare and simple, why do men from community property states insist on prenups?
Also, are you saying that premarital assets are subject to division in non-community property states?
Simply, why do men require prenups if divorce laws are fare in the United States?
It is not divorce laws, it is court and judge who are not considered as fair for some who have assets or business. The question is why so many guys want today to make prenupt? Because the law (the judges) don't protect them.
"Je glissais through the paper wall, an angel in the hand, s taboy. I lay on the floor, surgi des chants de Maldoror, je mix l'intégrale de mes nuits de crystal, i belong to the festival.

Offline Boethius

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: No Selection
It is not divorce laws, it is court and judge who are not considered as fair for some who have assets or business. The question is why so many guys want today to make prenupt? Because the law (the judges) don't protect them.

That is untrue.  Up to the 1990's, women's standards of living decreased dramatically after divorce, while men's increased by about, on average 15%.   Since that time, the standards have leveled off.  It is not because of "unfair" courts, but because women are earning more in the workforce.
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline Paulie

i'll let her speak for herself, but my take on fashionista's thought was that if a guy has to ask if she's the girlfriend... or just the girlfriend experience, then the guy deep down probably already knows the answer.

Not always.  I actually like to learn from others and appreciate and respect their opinion.   Sometimes I NEED a 'reality' check. 

Offline Paulie

i agree 100%.  keep 'em coming, syestra!

but unfortunately there are some (foolish) men who don't realize that a marriage with a rw will generally incur a lot more expenses than marriage to an aw.

This is true and something I learned right here. 

Online Brillynt

Modern Marriages that need these long agreements and disclaimers seem to not be about happiness and love, but about something very far from those ideals.

+1

Offline Larry1

Still believing in that "pleasant personality" fantasy, calmissile?

Are you suggesting that Tulip lacks a pleasant personality because she responds back when someone takes a shot at her?  Maybe Jesus Christ turned his other cheek but I wouldn't suggest that here. 

Offline Boethius

A "pleasant person" doesn't take a shot at another person's marriage.  Furthermore, Doll's post was not vitriolic.

After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline Patagonie

• >25 travels
presumably the woman has the right to get a share of every nickle accumulated in the course of marriage? And will not get more than the divorce law allows?
Do I understand correctly that you do not agree with the law on this and would need a prenup to ensure that she "doesn't get her hands" on a portion of marital assets that would otherwise be divided by existing divorce law?
So, a prenup IS afterall needed to protect a man's interests from the greedy FSUW?
Why would get half of marital assets which don't belong to you ?

Offline Patagonie

• >25 travels

That is untrue.  Up to the 1990's, women's standards of living decreased dramatically after divorce, while men's increased by about, on average 15%.   Since that time, the standards have leveled off.  It is not because of "unfair" courts, but because women are earning more in the workforce.

I was  talking in my post about men who date FSU women, they are not average. They have at least a well off income in general.

Now we are in 2013, a lot of things have changed.
And no, the laws don't protect them with the standard mariage, so men have to choice the separated one (prenup).

You really read what you write ?
"while men's increased by about, on average 15%".
You mean 40 years after the divorce ? A lot are dead.  After the divorce all men (except probably the 2% who get an compensatory alimony) suffers from a decrease in sandards of live.

Women's standard have dramatically decreased ? In accordance to the family earning they had before ?
YES OF COURSE i hope so, you don't believe perhaps that men are going to pay the entire difference to give her the exact earning the couple was having before ?

If all husbands just after divorce was killing themselves and burned the exact part of the money they have bring during the marriage (wich means no assets, no alimony, no compensatory alimony), tell me how will become the standards life of those divorced women ?

And what the better wages of the women workforce has to do in your post ? If it was really true (but unfortunately women don't earn exactly the same as men : 9% of difference), so why women asks divorce in 75% of cases, why men have to pay a compensatory alimony ?

Offline Boethius

I was  talking in my post about men who date FSU women, they are not average. They have at least a well off income in general.

But it still goes to the point of loving their money more than their women, of entering into a relationship without the requisite trust to have a true partnership.

As has been posted, in most North American jurisdictions, assets acquired during marriage are split 50/50 and those acquired before marriage are exempt, although the increase in value of those assets is split.  There are a few jurisdictions where all assets are split 50/50, but that is not the norm.

Offline Belvis

• Trips: Resident
I have never been saying what others want to hear. I got used to saying what I think about.
Tulip, problem is that your words or thoughts are so typical for a teenager girl with no real experience in life. Well, they are shown in movies like that. :)  I believe you're saying what you're thinking here and right now. I believe the love exists though in different shape from your conception. I'm afraid you have no idea about how ephemeral feeling of love can be in many cases.

Offline Boethius

Tulip, problem is that your words or thoughts are so typical for a teenager girl with no real experience in life. Well, they are shown in movies like that. :)  I believe you're saying what you're thinking here and right now. I believe the love exists though in different shape from your conception. I'm afraid you have no idea about how ephemeral feeling of love can be in many cases.

How is suggesting to love and be loved the words of a teenaged girl?   Ephemeral feelings are usually an inch deep and a mile wide.  That may be the world of teens, but true love of any depth is usually more than just a feeling.

Offline Belvis

• Trips: Resident
That may be the world of teens, but true love of any depth is usually more than just a feeling.
And not always a fun  :)

Offline pitbull

• Trips: None (yet)
Why would get half of marital assets which don't belong to you ?
Because all the assets accumulated in the course of marriage belong to both spouses and should be divided 50/50
Be the person that your dog thinks you are

Offline Gator

Those in disfavor of prenups seem to be taking a simple view.   If  family law were that simple, real estate attorneys would handle divorces.

I wouldn't marry someone who I did not trust 100% in all circumstances, good or bad.

Is there anyone who marries without trusting the other person?  I think not.  Yet, 50% of marriages end in divorce.  Why?  Easy answer - things change.  That is reason enough for a prenup.

And for business owners, a prenup is important for the continued health if not survival of the business, especially if the business is owned with partners or one's family. 

And there is another reason for a prenup.    Some attorneys with nicknames such as "Mad Dog" will work the proceedings and play the client's emotions, creating huge legal bills and prolonging the divorce.  And the final award will probably be about the same as if the divorce were mediated (except the pie is smaller due to huge legal costs). 

It is best to decide how to divide the pie when  trusting each other rather than when feeling the illwill if not anger and resentment of a contested divorce.  If one person feels the prenup division is not fair, then do not sign the prenup and walk away.  One can not walk away from a divorce.  One is consumed.  And the effect of an ugly divorce on the children is adverse and drastic.

I mentioned children.  Child support is determined by the court using guidelines, not the prenup.  Bottom line - wealthy pay more  than average folks for child support, and they should feel proud doing it.

A prenup must be fair and reasonable; otherwise it may be overturned by the judge.   A fair and reasonable prenup may provide more payment in a short marriage than a contested divorce.   For example, permanent periodic alimony in Florida  is likely in all marriages of seventeen years or more and even in some marriages of between seven and seventeen years (if there is "clear and convincing" evidence supporting it).  A prenup would cover marriages lasting less than seven years.

And over the long term?    Assuming a long term marriage, the court will require a greater earning spouse to provide monthly support to the lesser earning spouse.  Considering the age disparity of many AM-RW marriages, the greater earning spouse  could be the RW.  And an unhealthy AM would perhaps need more money.  So a prenup can protect RW committed to a long term marriage whose earnings could surpass her husband's, especially if he is retired or invalid.

Offline ML

Because all the assets accumulated in the course of marriage belong to both spouses and should be divided 50/50

Would you go 49/51 if I throw in the dog and our sex tapes also?
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline Patagonie

• >25 travels

But it still goes to the point of loving their money more than their women, of entering into a relationship without the requisite trust to have a true partnership.

As has been posted, in most North American jurisdictions, assets acquired during marriage are split 50/50 and those acquired before marriage are exempt, although the increase in value of those assets is split.  There are a few jurisdictions where all assets are split 50/50, but that is not the norm.
The problem of trust and fairness is two totally differents things and should be strictly evaluated apart. It shouldn't be linked at any time.

You cannot mix in your work of judge or lawyer trust/emotions and fairness.
You cannot welcome a woman saying : "i have so love him that i want nothing from him, nothing". You would know more about her life and her to be protected, at minima, because you are a professional and you want to assess where she will be in the channel/the range of the fairness.

So a man need to do the same, have i improved her life, for tomorrow, and what will be mine ?

Offline ML

You cannot welcome a woman saying : "i have so love him that i want nothing from him, nothing".

Man:  Honey would you still love me if I lost all my money?

Woman:  Yes, of course.  And I would miss you also.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline Boethius

True.  As I've posted before, my favourite line in my favourite movie is "When you love them, they drive you crazy because they know they can."

Offline calmissile

I think you might be mistaken on this.  Seperate property is seperate property.  The value change is not relevant because it is not part of the marital estate and not even considered.
Doug (Calmissile)

Offline Boethius

In all Canadian jurisdictions, without a prenup, an increase in value in property acquired before marriage is divided 50/50.  The value going into the marriage is exempt.  In most Canadian jurisdictions, this applies to common law marriages as well.   I believe the split is the case in some US jurisdictions as well, though laws vary from state to state.

Offline Patagonie

• >25 travels
Man:  Honey would you still love me if I lost all my money?

Woman:  Yes, of course.  And I would miss you also.
You are playful today ML.  :P

Offline Boethius

The problem of trust and fairness is two totally differents things and should be strictly evaluated apart. It shouldn't be linked at any time.

You cannot mix in your work of judge or lawyer trust/emotions and fairness.
You cannot welcome a woman saying : "i have so love him that i want nothing from him, nothing". You would know more about her life and her to be protected, at minima, because you are a professional and you want to assess where she will be in the channel/the range of the fairness.

So a man need to do the same, have i improved her life, for tomorrow, and what will be mine ?

It is all intertwined.  As both jason and Faux Pas posted, it is all just stuff.   I could not fathom protecting my "stuff" from someone to whom I have entrusted my soul.

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541009
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 1857
Total: 1868

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 02:48:08 PM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 01:09:03 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:51:13 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:33:48 PM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:24:44 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 11:16:08 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by ML
Today at 10:31:43 AM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 09:47:10 AM

What to do by 2tallbill
Today at 09:37:41 AM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Today at 09:18:17 AM