It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Health insurance options in Canada  (Read 7430 times)

Offline Romeo

Health insurance options in Canada
« on: August 29, 2013, 03:40:07 PM »
Hi, my Russian girlfriend is in Canada with me on a 6 month visitor visa.  She came with some sort of Russian travel health insurance that will allow her to reimburse certain healthcare costs if she gets sick or something.  However, the procedure for getting the money reimbursed is complicated and cannot be done until she returns to Russia.  My question is, is there any option for visitors to Canada to obtain some sort of health insurance from a Canadian provider where it would be easier to get reimbursements. 

Thanks for any information.

Offline ML

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: > 10
Re: Health insurance options in Canada
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 05:12:19 PM »
I don't have info on insurance in Canada.

My comment is that these travel insurance plans are only to make a person feel like they are covered to give some peace of mind.

In actual practice; I think it is very rare than anyone actually gets any reimbursement from insurance companies.  The rules, procedures, documentation required, acceptance, time and energy involved, etc., will eliminate most claims.

Similar to our locks on doors.  People often go to great lengths to have the 'best' locks, deadbolt locks, etc.  However, it is a simple matter to use a portable hand drill and sabre saw to cut through a wood door, reach inside, and unlock everything.

The locks are only there to make us 'feel good.'

Now, good insurance plans in a person's home country are worthwhile;  but not the traveling kind.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline Fashionista

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 05:19:22 PM »
Yes. Blue Cross is a large company, but there are many others too. Look for a plan for visitors to Canada, e.g.
http://www.useblue.com/assurance-voyage/trouver-produit/liste-protections/visiteurs-canada1/visiteurs-canada.en.html

The client service is excellent when it comes to taking your money, the rest - I don't know, I never had to claim anything.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 05:22:41 PM by Fashionista »
Find your inner Bart!

Offline Misha

• Spouse's Country: Russia
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2013, 05:30:37 PM »
The thing is, if she has a pre existing condition, it is unlikely that she would be able to get anything. Besides, most travel health insurance is for emergencies, not regular health care... Why would she be worried about getting reimbursed if it is unlikely that she should need any health care?!? Maybe I am missing something here.

Offline Romeo

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2013, 05:42:57 PM »
She doesn't have any pre-existing conditions.  But I asked about this because she just recently got a UTI.  To just see a doctor I had to pay almost $200!  In theory this amount can be reimbursed, but only after (and IF) she returns to Russia.  In the meantime it just becomes out of pocket for me.  And my worry is that if something more serious were to happen, it would be wise to get some better Canadian based health insurance. 

Online Lily

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2013, 05:50:00 PM »
If she already arrived in Canada, wouldn't it be too late to look for an insurance for the rest of those 6 months stay?

Also, another health insurance would be then the second insurance that basically covers same things as the former one, a duplicate one?

Almost any insurance company would not part with their money easily, and in most cases it takes some efforts for the insured in order to insist on their rights and to make the insurance company pay. This is the business.
Da, da, Canada; Nyet, nyet, Soviet!

Offline Romeo

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2013, 05:54:22 PM »
Yes. Blue Cross is a large company, but there are many others too. Look for a plan for visitors to Canada, e.g.
http://www.useblue.com/assurance-voyage/trouver-produit/liste-protections/visiteurs-canada1/visiteurs-canada.en.html

The client service is excellent when it comes to taking your money, the rest - I don't know, I never had to claim anything.

Thanks for the info on this.  Unfortunately she's not eligible for blue cross anymore because she's been here for over a month.  I'll look for others I suppose.

Offline Romeo

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2013, 05:56:30 PM »
If she already arrived in Canada, wouldn't it be too late to look for an insurance for the rest of those 6 months stay?

Also, another health insurance would be then the second insurance that basically covers same things as the former one, a duplicate one?

Almost any insurance company would not part with their money easily, and in most cases it takes some efforts for the insured in order to insist on their rights and to make the insurance company pay. This is the business.

Yes, you're right.  Unfortunately I didn't think about this because she already had travel insurance from Russia for a month and we were planning simply to buy more from them.  But now I see that it would be better to buy something from here.

Offline Misha

• Spouse's Country: Russia
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2013, 05:59:48 PM »
To just see a doctor I had to pay almost $200!

My wife went to see a doctor once before she go her PR and her Canadian health care care. Was only $60. Different provinces, different rates...

[size=78%]In theory this amount can be reimbursed, but only after (and IF) she returns to Russia.[/size]

That is another matter. If the two of you get married, if you then apply to do the inland application and wait an interminably long time for an answer, then you will have to find health insurance to cover her, but at that point it won't be travel insurance per se.

Online Lily

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2013, 06:05:13 PM »
Then, I think, googling the ''travel insurance for visitors to canada' brings you to a number of providers, starting with CAA. You can just call them and see what they offer.
Da, da, Canada; Nyet, nyet, Soviet!

Offline BillyB

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2013, 10:27:57 PM »
 Is the Canadian health care system anything like America's pertaining to using the emergency room? In America anybody can walk into the emergency room and get medical treatment, even illegals. Give a fake name and basically the health care is free.

Tell your friend to buy antibiotics in Russia and get the flu shot in Russia or in Canada. Winter is coming.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline Donhollio

• Trips: No Selection
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2013, 10:44:18 PM »
I don't have info on insurance in Canada.

My comment is that these travel insurance plans are only to make a person feel like they are covered to give some peace of mind.

In actual practice; I think it is very rare than anyone actually gets any reimbursement from insurance companies.  The rules, procedures, documentation required, acceptance, time and energy involved, etc., will eliminate most claims.
Now, good insurance plans in a person's home country are worthwhile;  but not the traveling kind.

False. When using insurance in a normal country where corruption isn't an issue, health insurance works. Medi flights, hospital stays, and all that comes with a hospital stay are covered. yes you fill out the forms, some times you don't have to pay up front, and wait for the cheque to arrive in the mail. But the Canadians that have used a CDN based insurance company received coverage.

Offline Noch1

• Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2013, 02:19:39 AM »
you can call your local insurance company and get coverage, I have done it twice, it is not cheap, but will cover
any major problems and as far collecting, I have never had to try.
Common sense, Is not so common!

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541387
Total Topics: 20862
Most Online Today: 2512
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 10
Guests: 2247
Total: 2257

+-Recent Posts

Re: The Struggle For Ukraine by krimster2
Yesterday at 07:36:35 AM

Re: Navigating the longest story ever told by Stirlitz
Yesterday at 02:18:56 AM

Re: The Struggle For Ukraine - Senate just passed the Bill! by Stirlitz
Yesterday at 02:12:24 AM

Re: The Struggle For Ukraine - Senate just passed the Bill! by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 01:56:55 AM

Re: The Struggle For Ukraine - Senate just passed the Bill! by krimster2
April 23, 2024, 07:07:31 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
April 23, 2024, 11:31:49 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Manny
April 23, 2024, 11:07:15 AM

Re: international travel by krimster2
April 23, 2024, 09:50:04 AM

Re: international travel by 2tallbill
April 23, 2024, 08:20:37 AM

Re: Trippin........... by 2tallbill
April 23, 2024, 08:06:00 AM