It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: VE Day Celebrations  (Read 12341 times)

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
  • Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 4 - 10
VE Day Celebrations
« on: May 07, 2020, 03:32:40 PM »
Ok so Friday is VE Day Celebration, 75th Anniversary of Victory in Europe Day. Victory in Europe again this year from Brexit also so twice in one year :clapping:

Now they'll probably wheel out Vera Lynn here in the UK. Shockingly still alive and going strong at the ripe old age of 103. Just think of how the world has changed from the Nazi era to the internet/mobile phone age that she has lived through, quite an amazing change when you think of it. Anyway, her classic WWII song will be particularly poignant to our Mobers this year, remember how it goes Mobe ;D

'We'll meet again..'

'Don't know where...'

'Don't know when!!!!'

Blah, blah, blah :)

Enjoy the day Mobers :D
"If you make your own bread, then and only then, are you a free man unchained and alive living in pooty tang paradise, or say no and live in Incel island with all the others." - Krimster

Offline ML

• Trips: > 10
Re: VE Day Celebrations
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2020, 07:46:14 PM »
As a side note . . . I get sort of irritated every time I hear something that indicates we were fighting against the Nazis in WWII.

Kind of chicken shit by those who are afraid to use the word Germans.

I noticed this throughout most displays in Ukraine.

But I understand they are trying to not offend the Germans who come as tourists.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2020, 08:26:09 AM »
As a side note . . . I get sort of irritated every time I hear something that indicates we were fighting against the Nazis in WWII.

But I understand they are trying to not offend the Germans who come as tourists.

When I was in Minsk, Belarus a couple of years ago now I was watching their TV stuff, it was during their Victory Day so different day to ours I think. Anyway, loads of films on there showing the the type of atrocities the Germans/Nazis committed on Belarusians and the like during WWII. I got the impression that they saw it more of a German thing also. The girl I had gone out there to meet had said to me in one of her messages prior to meet up that she didn't like the German language as it sounded aggressive/hostile and reminded her of the war, she was around 30! Lol
"If you make your own bread, then and only then, are you a free man unchained and alive living in pooty tang paradise, or say no and live in Incel island with all the others." - Krimster

Offline Shadow

• Spouse's Country: Russia
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2020, 12:55:08 PM »
Today, the 9th of May is the day that Russia celebrates the victory as well as remembers the huge losses. Today the annual parade was held under quarantaine with just the air show ovr many cities. Citizens were encouraged to sing (many from their windows showing pictures of relatives who fought) and on TV were many replays including the very first one.
As for fighting the Nazi's or Germans, I feel we should not hold the current population responsible for ancient ideas that many feel ashamed for.
No it is not a dog. Its really how I look.  ;)

Offline Confederate

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2020, 01:10:22 PM »
Today, the 9th of May is the day that Russia celebrates the victory as well as remembers the huge losses. Today the annual parade was held under quarantaine with just the air show ovr many cities. Citizens were encouraged to sing (many from their windows showing pictures of relatives who fought) and on TV were many replays including the very first one.
As for fighting the Nazi's or Germans, I feel we should not hold the current population responsible for ancient ideas that many feel ashamed for.

Even far huger losses were due to Lenin and Stalin terrorizing and murdering millions of their own citizens, but who’s counting?

Russia and much of the FSU still hasn’t recovered from the hangover, but who’s counting?
War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength.
George Orwell 1984

Offline Shadow

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2020, 01:27:38 PM »
Even far huger losses were due to Lenin and Stalin terrorizing and murdering millions of their own citizens, but who’s counting?

Russia and much of the FSU still hasn’t recovered from the hangover, but who’s counting?
Your nick already showed you live in the past.In 1945 Lenin was long dead. As for Stalin his paranoia and crimes are well documented, and not forgotten inside Russia.As for the 29 million people who died for your freedom, I guess they do not matter.

Offline ML

VE Day Celebrations regarding Nazis, not Germans
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2020, 08:09:49 PM »

Here is an example from Kyiv Post:

The following is the official English-language transcript of Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky’s address to the nation on the Day of Victory over Nazism in the World War II on May 9, 2020.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline Confederate

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2020, 10:36:25 PM »
Your nick already showed you live in the past.In 1945 Lenin was long dead. As for Stalin his paranoia and crimes are well documented, and not forgotten inside Russia.As for the 29 million people who died for your freedom, I guess they do not matter.

LOL! 🤣🤣

Soviet Bullshevik Bullshit at its finest.

Don’t let any facts hit you in the ass as you exit reality.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2020, 10:38:05 PM by Confederate »
George Orwell 1984

Offline msmob

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2020, 12:31:11 AM »
LOL! 🤣🤣

Good morning, 'Confederate'

As Shadow notes your prefered nick does indeed suggest you crave for a ( yepee ) defeated past when 'freedom of speech' was not exactly a 'right' for slaves ..   Your nick  represents all that is wrong with your 'thinking' ..

I played a Soviet song in amongst Vera Lynn, Glen Millar and Edith Piaf during our VE celebrations and one neighbour asked, " why are you playing that Russian rubbish" during our victory day" within ear-shot of ex-wifey, who was our guest from 2m plus ...having brought the shopping.

Another neighbour pointed out how the eastern front had split Nazi resources and ex-wifey asked how many Brits had died in WW2...    You  (and our now much better
educated neighbour)  would have found each other for company... as after her 'outburst' she was looking for anyone to talk to .. even her hubbie ;)

Here's a hint for you 'confederate' ...  'freedom of speech' doesn't mean saying the daftest, least wise / tactful thing you can think of ......  This is a board made up of many guys who actually HAVE a FSU partner......

« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 12:33:46 AM by msmob »

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2020, 02:18:31 AM »
I played a Soviet song in amongst Vera Lynn, Glen Millar and Edith Piaf during our VE celebrations

Yep I knew it :D

Offline Shadow

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2020, 02:31:47 AM »
LOL! 🤣🤣

Let me enlighten you with some more Soviet bullsjit.The reason the Ameircans came to the aid of Churchill was not their incredible bravery or always being ready to help out someone in trouble.It was fear. Fear of communism.Without the American assistance it would have been a real possibility that after defeating Germany the Soviets would have taken over (continental) Europe.This was what caused fear as it would have given Communism a much more strong base.And considering that is held on for 80 years without that, a fully communist Europe might have had a different outcome.
Now do not think I am unhapy with th outcome as it happened, even if a Star Trek worl would be interesting to live inBut there is no denying that the Russians lost much more people and playeed a crucial role in efeating the Nazi regime.

Online Faux Pas

• Trips: No Selection
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2020, 07:16:09 AM »
Good morning, 'Confederate'

As Shadow notes your prefered nick does indeed suggest you crave for a ( yepee ) defeated past when 'freedom of speech' was not exactly a 'right' for slaves ..   Your nick  represents all that is wrong with your 'thinking' ..

There's nothing wrong with his nick despite what you feel about him. It's blatantly obvious you have no idea the meaning of the word, either

Offline Gator

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2020, 07:53:54 AM »
Let me enlighten you with some more Soviet bullsjit.The reason the Ameircans came to the aid of Churchill was not their incredible bravery or always being ready to help out someone in trouble.It was fear. Fear of communism.

Short answer:  Japan was the reason.  Japan was not communist. 

If America feared communism above all, we would have not supported Churchill, other than allow them to defend their island and colonies.   If UK lost its ability to attack,  Hitler could direct all resources to defeating Stalin.   And I feel Hitler would have succeeded eventually or at least reached a stalemate. 

Long Answer:

The Neutrality Act of 1937 removed impartiality, allowing the President to distinguish among nations at war when enforcing neutrality. Favored nations could purchase non-military products in the United States, provided they paid with cash and transported the goods on their own ships, an arrangement known as “cash and carry.”

In 1939, 90% of Americans hoped the US would stay out of the war, even though we had fought a war against Germany a mere 20 years earlier.   FDR increasingly tilted towards Churchill because Hitler defied the American view of  world order.     

In August 1941, The true sentiment and intentions of America are reflected in the agreement reached in a secret meeting between Churchill and FDR off Canada:

Both countries agreed not to seek territorial expansion; to seek the liberalization of international trade; to establish freedom of the seas, and international labor, economic, and welfare standards. Most importantly, both the United States and Great Britain were committed to supporting the restoration of self-governments for all countries that had been occupied during the war and allowing all peoples to choose their own form of government. 

That last point bothered Churchill, given it could extend to UK's colonies, yet he consented.   FDR was still maintaining a position of neutrality, yet his cooperation with UK increased.   

Then came the real reason the US entered the war and supported Churchill - Pearl Harbor.  The US declared war on Japan, and three days later Germany declared war on the US.   The US within hours declared war on Germany and Italy. 

Now do not think I am unhapy with th outcome as it happened, even if a Star Trek worl would be interesting to live in

The West convinced many of the German rocket scientists to relocate, where they directed their skills at space.  One such scientist brought his newborn son with him, and that son grew up to  become my business partner.   

But there is no denying that the Russians lost much more people and played a crucial role in defeating the Nazi regime.

Hitler's violation of the Soviet-Germany nonaggression pact was his biggest mistake.  They were destined to go to war, yet think about the advanced weaponry Hitler would have possessed in 3-5 more years, maybe even a nuclear bomb before the US developed one.   

Offline Gator

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2020, 08:44:52 AM »

Oddly, we have no reservations about saying we fought a Pacific War against the Japanese, and they are our friends today with much travel and business.   

After watching Band of Brothers, I am now watching HBO's The Pacific with my 21-yo stepson.   He arrived here almost 10 years ago questioning  why we dropped the atomic bomb on the Japanese.

Maybe we use the term Nazi because it is so precise and catchy.   Only a minority of Germans voted for the Nazis, yet the majority eventually supported them in their fight for Germany's freedom.   

Online 2tallbill

• Living the dream
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2020, 09:18:44 AM »
I played a Soviet song in amongst Vera Lynn, Glen Miller and Edith Piaf

Do you typically play that combination of music?
Was it some Soviet march? Why call any song a
Soviet song?

FSUW are not for entry level daters
FSUW don't do vague
FSUW like a man of action. Be a man of action 
If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane.
There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Just kiss the girl, don't ask her first. Tolerate NO excuses!

Offline Shadow

« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2020, 09:58:26 AM »
Short answer:  Japan was the reason.  Japan was not communist. 

I agree that Japan was the reason for the US to enter WW2, and from the US point of view what you write seems logical.
However I do believe that the exiled nobility and royals of Western Europe would not have appreciated communism taking over, and this did play a vital role as well.

Online 2tallbill

• Living the dream
VE Day Celebrations
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2020, 10:45:25 AM »
I agree that Japan was the reason for the US to enter WW2, and from the US point of view what you write seems logical.
However I do believe that the exiled nobility and royals of Western Europe would not have appreciated communism taking over, and this did play a vital role as well.

Germany declared war on the US and those were fightin' words back
in those days. I don't know that Roosevelt disliked communism that
much.

FSUW don't do vague

Offline Shadow

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2020, 10:59:02 AM »
Germany declared war on the US and those were fightin' words back
in those days. I don't know that Roosevelt disliked communism that
much.
It might not have been Roosevelt who disliked it. Remember that most of royals and nobility from Western Europe were sitting in the US and Canada at the time and he may have just wanted to get rid of them.. >:D

Offline GQBlues

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2020, 11:05:47 AM »

I don't agree Shadow. It's now easy to forget, one without the other, Nazi Germany would not have been defeated. The Soviets could not have defeated Germany had Hitler not had deal with dual front - vice versa.

The US entering another stupid European war was not because it feared communism. If anything, the US was in the belief that Germany was the bigger threat to world peace. It's war machine and technology was years ahead of every country at the time. Besides, the US/Soviet relationship was already at the breaking point and gone as far as sanctioning them for the Soviet's winter war against Finland, and its take over of Poland and Romania.

Had it not been for Pearl Harbor, the Soviets was on a brink of collapse, so the US could've just watched that arena and waited for Soviet Russia to fall if it feared it so much. Hitler already had the western front at bay. It could've concentrated on its eastern front and it simply would've been just a matter of time before wiping communism off that territory. Japan already had a strangle hold in Asia, and the communism in China would have gone down as well..
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 11:11:31 AM by GQBlues »
Quote from: msmob
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.
3. N95 mask will choke you dead after 30 min. of use.

Offline BillyB

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2020, 11:14:59 AM »

Hitler came within 50 miles of Moscow. Should he have defeated the Communists, I wonder what kind of world would we be living in today? Would China and North Korea be our friends? Would Russia be an economic powerhouse bigger than Japan and Germany?
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Online 2tallbill

• Living the dream
VE Day Celebrations
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2020, 11:38:05 AM »
It might not have been Roosevelt who disliked it. Remember that most of
royals and nobility from Western Europe were sitting in the US and Canada
at the time and he may have just wanted to get rid of them.. >:D

FSUW don't do vague

Offline Shadow

« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2020, 12:58:48 PM »
Hitler came within 50 miles of Moscow. Should he have defeated the Communists, I wonder what kind of world would we be living in today? Would China and North Korea be our friends? Would Russia be an economic powerhouse bigger than Japan and Germany?
The idea that taking any city will defeat the whole country is the main miscalculation any of the attackers on Russia have made.
If Hitler would have prevailed we would now live in a country where people adore their flag, believe they were commissioned by God, hold military in high regard, beliefs it is the world largest power both economic and military,and have an idiot for president.  Hmmmmm... >:D

Offline msmob

« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2020, 01:10:43 PM »
I don't agree Shadow. It's now easy to forget, one without the other, Nazi Germany would not have been defeated. The Soviets could not have defeated Germany had Hitler not had deal with dual front - vice versa.

The US entering another stupid European war was not because it feared communism. If anything, the US was in the belief that Germany was the bigger threat to world peace. It's war machine and technology was years ahead of every country at the time. Besides, the US/Soviet relationship was already at the breaking point and gone as far as sanctioning them for the Soviet's winter war against Finland, and its take over of Poland and Romania.

Had it not been for Pearl Harbor, the Soviets was on a brink of collapse, so the US could've just watched that arena and waited for Soviet Russia to fall if it feared it so much. Hitler already had the western front at bay. It could've concentrated on its eastern front and it simply would've been just a matter of time before wiping communism off that territory. Japan already had a strangle hold in Asia, and the communism in China would have gone down as well..

GQB history 101

1/ It wasn't a 'stupid' European war ..the AXIS included Japan. Your President at the time HAD a clue, it was the Germans and fippin' Oirish who forgot they were now American that wanted him to sit on his arse.. IF the US had joined in earlier, the war would have been over quicker ..  Hitler thought he could polish off the Soviets, get his oil and then deal with Europe. and then the US would still not want a war ..

2/ Japan attacking Pearl Harbour was what changed the course of the war in that it would end earlier, but Hitler was already fighting out a stalemate in the battle of Moscow and would be in retreat by Dec 41 , in the north, ultimately leading to Paulus' army in Stalingrad being cut off and full retreat in the south of the Soviet Union.  America and the western European allies 'helped' to the extend of convoys until Soviet industry came on strong to the east of the Urals .

3/ Stalin constantly chided the allies to open up the second front - they didn't actually land on occupied European teritory until mid '43 .

4/ When it was clear that Hitler was defeated, it became a rush to seize Nazi intellectual property and the WHOLE reason for the war starting was to free Poland and other nations invaded prior to the declaration from tyranny.

It's at times like this when I REALLY miss Sando, as he'd have been all over your historical howlers

Offline BillyB

« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2020, 01:24:21 PM »
The idea that taking any city will defeat the whole country is the main miscalculation any of the attackers on Russia have made.

There would be Russian rebels fighting Germans even if the Communist leadership in Moscow is taken out. America and allies would support those rebels and after Germany is defeated, the Allies would promote an Allied friendly leader to be in charge of Russia. I think  modern day Russia be much different today if Stalin and his government was removed by the Germans. Stalin wouldn't be around to promote Communism in East Europe, China, North Korea, Vietnam and other nations. Would there be less war after WWII? Probably.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline Boethius

« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2020, 01:24:42 PM »
Do you typically play that combination of music?
Was it some Soviet march? Why call any song a Soviet song?

Uh, because it probably is a Soviet song?

This post was composed without the aid of google.
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline Confederate

« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2020, 03:40:46 PM »

Those are some damn good questions!
George Orwell 1984

Offline msmob

« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2020, 04:38:39 PM »
For conspiracy theorists, perhaps ...  Some of us deal in reality.. 
.. your know, what ACTUALLY happened.

Offline GQBlues

« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2020, 04:47:25 PM »
GQB history 101

1/ It wasn't a 'stupid' European war ..the AXIS included Japan. Your President at the time HAD a clue, it was the Germans and fippin' Oirish who forgot they were now American that wanted him to sit on his arse.. IF the US had joined in earlier, the war would have been over quicker ..  Hitler thought he could polish off the Soviets, get his oil and then deal with Europe. and then the US would still not want a war ..

2/ Japan attacking Pearl Harbour was what changed the course of the war in that it would end earlier, but Hitler was already fighting out a stalemate in the battle of Moscow and would be in retreat by Dec 41 , in the north, ultimately leading to Paulus' army in Stalingrad being cut off and full retreat in the south of the Soviet Union.  America and the western European allies 'helped' to the extend of convoys until Soviet industry came on strong to the east of the Urals .

3/ Stalin constantly chided the allies to open up the second front - they didn't actually land on occupied European teritory until mid '43 .

4/ When it was clear that Hitler was defeated, it became a rush to seize Nazi intellectual property and the WHOLE reason for the war starting was to free Poland and other nations invaded prior to the declaration from tyranny.

It's at times like this when I REALLY miss Sando, as he'd have been all over your historical howlers

1. It was a fuc@king STUPID European war! Greed, territories and raping and taking other country's resources. You can try and convince anyone interested that it was somehow some holy European benevolent causes, go have at it...

2. Had it not been for Roosevelt blocking attempts to exclude the Soviet Union from receiving US assistance via lend lease bill In 1941, SU would've been on the sh!t creek because they were precariously running out of much needed supplies. *US steel, Russian blood* Ever heard of the phrase? Lot's of SPAM, too.

3. That STUPID European war due to greed, territorial grab and raping other country's resources ended because the allies, including the Soviet Union, engaged Hitler on two fronts.

adios...
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 04:50:41 PM by GQBlues »
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.

Offline Boethius

« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2020, 05:03:19 PM »
Tell the descendants of the 15-20 million dead Chinese that WWII was a "European" war.

After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline GQBlues

« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2020, 06:07:54 PM »
Tell the descendants of the 15-20 million dead Chinese that WWII was a "European" war.

No need. They know. Europeans were raping and murdering millions of them for their resources. Europeans were all over that world doing exactly that for centuries. So Asian folks know both WW I & II are nothing more than greedy Europeans grabbing territories, raping and murdering everyone in the world and taking their resources due to greed. Cannibalizing each other for it. From Africa, to Brazil, from India to Persia.

Thousand are still dying today because of it. Go ahead, Google. You know you want to.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 06:09:45 PM by GQBlues »

Offline Confederate

« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2020, 06:24:04 PM »
No need. They know. Europeans were raping and murdering millions of them for their resources. Europeans were all over that world doing exactly that for centuries. So Asian folks know both WW I & II are nothing more than greedy Europeans grabbing territories, raping and murdering everyone in the world and taking their resources due to greed. Cannibalizing each other for it. From Africa, to Brazil, from India to Persia.

Thousand are still dying today because of it. Go ahead, Google. You know you want to.

:ROFL:

Well said.

These parades and remembrances are carefully orchestrated propaganda by TPTB who hope to inspire current and future generations to go into more conflicts and wars with carefully crafted lies and appeals to “patriotism”.
George Orwell 1984

Offline Boethius

« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2020, 11:43:54 PM »

It wasn't Europeans who returned a total 65 Chinese POWs after WWII.  It wasn't Europeans who held contests on who could decapitate the most civilians with a sword.  It wasn't Europeans who slaughtered 10-15 million Chinese in WWII.

It wasn't Europeans who took Koreans as "comfort women" during WWII.  It wasn't Europeans who perpetrated the Manila massacre in 1945.

If you want to go back a little further, it wasn't Europeans who were responsible for the rape of Nanking.

Go back further still, read some history, and you will learn that Slavs, for example, were being raped and pillaged, rather routinely, by Asians.

Human greed and atrocity knows no race nor creed.

You go ahead and google.  Or for a change, pick up a book.  You may actually learn something.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2020, 01:59:17 AM by Boethius »

Offline Shadow

« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2020, 12:17:32 AM »

And most of thoe decided to emigrate to a new world :D

Offline msmob

« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2020, 01:13:06 AM »
1. It was a fuc@king STUPID European war! Greed, territories and raping and taking other country's resources. You can try and convince anyone interested that it was somehow some holy European benevolent causes, go have at it... 

Facts are always your downfall, GQB ... The Second World War started in Europe.. and ended in ,,,,?

2. Had it not been for Roosevelt blocking attempts to exclude the Soviet Union from receiving US assistance via lend lease bill In 1941, SU would've been on the sh!t creek because they were precariously running out of much needed supplies. *US steel, Russian blood* Ever heard of the phrase? Lot's of SPAM, too.

Who's arguing this point ...  ?

3. That STUPID European war due to greed, territorial grab and raping other country's resources ended because the allies, including the Soviet Union, engaged Hitler on two fronts.

adios...

Hmm, that 'stupid' war in the Pacific in which many Commonwealth countries found themselves alongside the USA..   

Offline GQBlues

« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2020, 05:46:43 AM »
And most of thoe decided to emigrate to a new world :D

How appropriate being spoken by a Dutch!

Offline Shadow

« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2020, 06:52:54 AM »
How appropriate being spoken by a Dutch!
Yup we did a great job transporting the future labour force. :P

Online 2tallbill

• Living the dream
« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2020, 09:35:01 AM »
Uh, because it probably is a Soviet song?

He named the other Artists Vera Lynn British, Glen Millar (spelled wrong)
American and Edith Piaf French but the other was Soviet, hence the question.
If he hadn't spelled Glen Miller wrong I would have bothered to ask.

FSUW don't do vague

Offline Gator

« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2020, 10:41:52 AM »

Some of your forefathers did attempt to colonize the New World in the 17th C, with many Dutch coming as fur traders and settling along the Hudson River where a few Dutch names to locales survive today.    The Dutch swindled the Natives out of Manhattan Island and established New Amsterdam.  In 40 years it became New York after back and forth skirmishing and trading with the English (I believe you received Surinam out of such a trade).  There are some opinions that the term "Yankee" derives from Dutch names.     

And over the centuries the Netherlands has been a good friend to the US, even being the first nation to salute the American flag (St. Eustatius).     

Offline GQBlues

« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2020, 02:15:06 PM »

Yeah..and look at the fine mess you got us into? :devil:

Offline LAman

« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2020, 02:44:18 PM »
Some of your forefathers did attempt to colonize the New World in the 17th C, with many Dutch coming as fur traders and settling along the Hudson River where a few Dutch names to locales survive today.    The Dutch swindled the Natives out of Manhattan Island and established New Amsterdam.  In 40 years it became New York after back and forth skirmishing and trading with the English (I believe you received Surinam out of such a trade).  There are some opinions that the term "Yankee" derives from Dutch names.     

And over the centuries the Netherlands has been a good friend to the US, even being the first nation to salute the American flag (St. Eustatius).   

Were in grade school at the time?? ))
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift

Offline Gator

« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2020, 02:53:04 PM »
Were in grade school at the time?? ))

Yes, and I listened on the radio to the famous Dutchman, Little Richard. 

Offline LAman

« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2020, 03:50:15 PM »
Yes, and I listened on the radio to the famous Dutchman, Little Richard.

Little Richard? Who's that. I am such a young lad!!! Don't pay much attention to ancient history!!

Offline Gator

« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2020, 03:58:17 PM »
It's a joke in multiple ways.  Shadow may not know about Little Richard, perhaps thinking he was an English King after Richard the Lion  Hearted.     

Offline LAman

« Reply #43 on: May 11, 2020, 04:21:32 PM »
It's a joke in multiple ways.  Shadow may not know about Little Richard, perhaps thinking he was an English King after Richard the Lion  Hearted.   

In studying the past kings/queens of England and France, and knowing how they were always fighting, they were actually intertwined. I get confused with the Richard's, Henry's, Edward's, Charles', Arthur's and George's

Offline ML

« Reply #44 on: May 11, 2020, 05:38:14 PM »
In studying the past kings/queens of England and France, and knowing how they were always fighting, they were actually intertwined. I get confused with the Richard's, Henry's, Edward's, Charles', Arthur's and George's

If you want to read about someone who is really intertwined . . . check out wikipedia regarding current Prince Philip, husband of Queen Elizabeth.  Quite a fascinating family background.

Offline LAman

« Reply #45 on: May 11, 2020, 06:05:06 PM »
If you want to read about someone who is really intertwined . . . check out wikipedia regarding current Prince Philip, husband of Queen Elizabeth.  Quite a fascinating family background.

I'll check it out.
Pretty cool charts of European Monarchies:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5Ag9n-o0IZD41_L1X1l0PdNsqtNr0aJY

Offline Shadow

« Reply #46 on: May 13, 2020, 02:05:24 AM »
I am not that unculturred that I would presume Little Richard to be the name of a small male member.  >:D
As for the influence of the Dutch it is well known. We even provided you with a guy in a red suit that drinks a lot of Coke.

Offline Confederate

« Reply #47 on: July 22, 2020, 11:27:32 PM »
Those are some damn good questions!

Bump!
George Orwell 1984

Online krimster2

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #48 on: July 23, 2020, 06:58:42 AM »
my father's youngest brother fought in the US Marines to liberate your little island in '45, probably while your relatives were hiding...
a good portion of the soldiers doing the fighting to liberate Phillipinas, were Hispanic from Texas and New Mexico
10% of the men who died during the Bataan death march were Hispanic
racist ass-holes can go to hell where they belong

"We even provided you with a guy in a red suit that drinks a lot of Coke."

Sinter Klaus!!! aka "Santa Claus" for those who don't speak a little Dutch

good gawd, I'd like to be chillin in a coffee house in the 'Dam right now, the weather would be perfect...
and Dutch coffee house hostesses are AWESOME!!  god, how much I miss the world before Corona....

« Last Edit: July 23, 2020, 08:23:33 AM by krimster2 »

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541327
Total Topics: 20860
Most Online Today: 2843