It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Resources for Immigrants  (Read 14247 times)

Offline Darth_Budda

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Resources for Immigrants
« on: December 26, 2019, 03:31:00 PM »
What resources is available to immigrants to make sure they are treated fairly by the law?

My wifes english is still not very good, But the local courts are denying her access to a translator, simply saying her english is good enough...

What can we do?
We need a government of action to fight for working families!
Caleb Maupin

Offline siberia

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: None (yet)
Re: Resources for Immigrants
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2019, 06:19:02 PM »
I have direct knowledge of this due to my job. they must give you an interpreter if you request one. This is not only to cover your wife but to cover the agencies butt also. Many lawsuits have been filed due to not having an interpreter at a hearing.

Search for your particular areas Court page. It will even have a list of Court interpreters meaning they have been certified to interpret at court.

Offline Darth_Budda

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2019, 07:09:36 PM »
http://www.lawhelp.org/resource/your-right-to-assistance-in-your-language-bas?fbclid=IwAR2mRou2Bd1NYDTSmMqQHw6tGlbb4dYbIhMmHLhFjFipFsItnF8KINQRL9Y

Where am I entitled to language access services?

If you do not speak English well, you are entitled to language access services at:

federal courts
state and local courts that receive money from the U.S. government
federal agencies such as the Social Security Administration and U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service
state and local government agencies that receive money from the U.S. government such as the your local social services or welfare office and the unemployment office
legal services offices that receive money from the Legal Services Corporation or another agency of the U.S. government to provide free legal services
police departments that receive money from the U.S. government
hospitals that receive money from the U.S. government
schools that receive money from the U.S. government
Remember, agencies that receive money from the U.S. government cannot refuse you services just because you do not speak English.

I was not provided with language access services.  How do I file a complaint?

If you were not provided with language access services, you may have a claim for national origin discrimination. To file a complaint, contact:

Federal Coordination and Compliance Section - NWB
Civil Rights Division
U.S. Department of Justice
950 Pennsylvania Avenue, N.W.
Washington, D.C.  20530
(888) 848-5306 - English and Spanish (Ingles y Español)
(202) 307-2222 (voice)
(202) 307-2678 (TDD)
www.justice.gov/crt/about/cor/complaint.php

The agency that you want to complain about may also have a way to file a complaint about not receiving services in your own language.
Caleb Maupin

Offline BillyB

• Trips: > 10
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2019, 07:10:31 PM »
There may be translators working at the court if you're living in an area where lots of immigrants live. If they won't let you have one for free, you may have to hire a translator.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline Darth_Budda

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2019, 07:12:28 PM »
They are just saying her english is good enough and she does not need one,,, 
I think they are just trying to protect themselves because,, now she knows she should of had a translator, They are afraid we are gonna sue....

At this point I think the only thing we can do than is contact the justice department and sue...

I am so pissed,,,,,
Caleb Maupin

Offline Darth_Budda

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2019, 07:13:42 PM »
There may be translators working at the court if you're living in an area where lots of immigrants live. If they won't let you have one for free, you may have to hire a translator.

Under U.S. law, if you are seeking services from a government agency or an organization funded by the U.S. government, you must be provided with assistance in your language.

What are language access services?

Language access services include a free interpreter and free translation of important documents.  An agency cannot force you to provide your own interpreter (such as a friend or family member, and it is recommended that you do not use a family member or friend even if they volunteer) or ask you to pay for an interpreter or translation provided by the agency.

Under federal law,,, it says she should of been provided for free,, at any place that gets federal funds..
Caleb Maupin

Offline BillyB

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2019, 08:05:17 PM »
Under U.S. law, if you are seeking services from a government agency or an organization funded by the U.S. government, you must be provided with assistance in your language.

In the link you provided it said "If you do not speak English well, you are entitled to language access services at:...…………"

The person that gets to make that determination on a person's ability to speak English is not defined. It would be hard to sue the government if an officer of the court decided a person did speak English well enough based on hearing the person.

Years ago I went to traffic court with a Ukrainian man to help him. 50% of the people in there were Hispanic. 40% were Russian and Ukrainian. There was an interpreter in the court full time to help everybody speak to the judge. Of course in areas of America where there are few immigrants, it doesn't make sense for the court to hire an interpreter full time.

Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline siberia

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2019, 08:32:11 PM »
Are you willing to tell me what state you are in?

Offline BillyB

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2019, 08:40:00 PM »
Are you willing to tell me what state you are in?

Absolutely! I'm in Washington State! When are you coming to visit me?  ;)

Offline Grumpy

• Spouse's Country: Moldova
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2019, 08:45:29 PM »
Absolutely! I'm in Washington State! When are you coming to visit me?  ;)

In about 9 months,maybe.
A cautious guy does not want to rush into things. ;D
Good women are not cheap
Cheap women are not good
(but they can be a lot of fun)

Offline Darth_Budda

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2019, 09:02:56 PM »
I am in Upstate NY,, 
Caleb Maupin

Offline Darth_Budda

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2019, 09:07:47 PM »
In the link you provided it said "If you do not speak English well, you are entitled to language access services at:...…………"

The person that gets to make that determination on a person's ability to speak English is not defined. It would be hard to sue the government if an officer of the court decided a person did speak English well enough based on hearing the person.

Years ago I went to traffic court with a Ukrainian man to help him. 50% of the people in there were Hispanic. 40% were Russian and Ukrainian. There was an interpreter in the court full time to help everybody speak to the judge. Of course in areas of America where there are few immigrants, it doesn't make sense for the court to hire an interpreter full time.

The court decided she was entitled to a Translator in Court,  But her Lawyers say they don't need a Translator... So I am confused.. If they think she required a translator in court, why was she not given a translator when talking to Lawyers, or informed she could fill out any of the legal paperwork in Russian which is an Official language in NYS...  For example she took her Learners permit exam in Russian, When she was pregnant she was given a translator in the hospital. Which was only one year ago... 
Caleb Maupin

Offline siberia

« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2019, 09:17:22 PM »
Your last reply changes everything. The courts decided she needs an interpreter but her lawyers said no. She has the right to an interpreter and her lawyers don't get to override her wish. In New York state is a state that does provide Court interpreters.

Offline Darth_Budda

« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2019, 09:26:27 PM »
Your last reply changes everything. The courts decided she needs an interpreter but her lawyers said no. She has the right to an interpreter and her lawyers don't get to override her wish. In New York state is a state that does provide Court interpreters.

This was my thought exactly,,,  But Now I need to find a way to get her help.... Because we live in a small town,, and Court Lawyers and such often do what ever they think is right and tend to not follow the laws.. 

She has tried to fire her lawyers 6 times but they keep telling her she needs a new lawyer first and refuse to return her personal property...

But She should be allowed to Act as her own lawyer until we can find her a new one... Basically her civil rights are being trampled on...
Caleb Maupin

Offline BillyB

« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2019, 10:20:55 PM »
The court decided she was entitled to a Translator in Court,  But her Lawyers say they don't need a Translator... So I am confused..

If she wins, she wins but if she loses, her lawyers gave her a chance to throw out the ruling since they said she doesn't need a translator and she can claim she didn't understand. Did they hurt her or did they help her?

Offline Darth_Budda

« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2019, 10:39:28 PM »
We have not gone to trial yet,  But They have hurt her... They are not doing what she asked.. Had her sign paperwork they did not even explain what it was... Because I am sure they realize she does not understand them..  Now that she knows she was saposta have a Translator,, and she has asked for one, They are all treating her very bad, threats and such, Like you will loose your child or you are going to get deported...  Because I feel they realize they screwed up.. and are trying to get her to play by their rules so they don't get disbarred or sued..  It is a real mess... She was actually receiving language courses not to long ago,, which would of required her english to not be good just to get the class's... She tried to hand one of the lawyers a copy of the federal law we printed out online but they refused to look at it, and said you know english good enough.. When she told one of them she did not understand what they were saying, the lawyers repeated himself twice. when she said again she did not understand she put down by them, saying you knew english good enough last time i don't believe you. stop acting that way...

We are going to file a complaint with the Justice department and find her a good paid lawyer.
I think we should also find a civil rights lawyer.. from my internet searching doing things like what i just described counts as discrimination based on national origin.
Caleb Maupin

Offline Darth_Budda

« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2019, 10:43:49 PM »
If she wins, she wins but if she loses, her lawyers gave her a chance to throw out the ruling since they said she doesn't need a translator and she can claim she didn't understand. Did they hurt her or did they help her?

She wants a translator so she can understand even what her lawyers are saying...  they got her one for day of court for the first appearance.. But she did not understand all of the original paperwork that is now in some cases might be used against her...

When she was in the police station, one state police officer asked if she understood what they were talking about she said no.. But another town officer spoke for her... even though none of them actually speak Russian or Ukrainian.. So the statement to the state police was not even actually written by her... But another officer.. Which was a small town cop not even a state police officer..
« Last Edit: December 26, 2019, 10:45:26 PM by Darth_Budda »
Caleb Maupin

Offline BillyB

« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2019, 08:41:52 AM »

If your wife's lawyers are the free court appointed ones, they aren't interested in winning. They usually get paid per case so for them, it's best they settle quickly and won't spend too much time on each case. If you want to win, to increase your chances in winning, you have to hire an attorney that will spend more time on it. An officer writing her statement may get the case dropped but you need an attorney that can show a judge that was wrong based off law.

Online Faux Pas

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: No Selection
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2019, 09:21:44 AM »
She wants a translator so she can understand even what her lawyers are saying...  they got her one for day of court for the first appearance.. But she did not understand all of the original paperwork that is now in some cases might be used against her...

When she was in the police station, one state police officer asked if she understood what they were talking about she said no.. But another town officer spoke for her... even though none of them actually speak Russian or Ukrainian.. So the statement to the state police was not even actually written by her... But another officer.. Which was a small town cop not even a state police officer..

You can't interpret for her?

Offline Darth_Budda

« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2019, 09:42:53 AM »
You can't interpret for her?

My russian is good enough to get gas or order some food maybe,,,
But I can't say I know of or use legal language in my every day life..

Also,, no it would not be appropriate.. Besides federal law states she should of had a Translator trained in legal terminology..

At this point we are trying to get everything thrown out and be allowed to make a new statement with a translator present..

Caleb Maupin

Online Faux Pas

« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2019, 10:21:31 AM »
My russian is good enough to get gas or order some food maybe,,,
But I can't say I know of or use legal language in my every day life..

Also,, no it would not be appropriate.. Besides federal law states she should of had a Translator trained in legal terminology..

At this point we are trying to get everything thrown out and be allowed to make a new statement with a translator present..

Are you saying you can't communicate with your wife? I seem to recall you being a millennial Bernie supporter but at what point do you take charge of this situation? Maybe you're right about a federal law that supposedly provides a translator. I do not know of that law but if the court hasn't supplied one, why don't you make sure she has one if you can't do it. What is she charged with?

Offline Darth_Budda

« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2019, 10:27:17 AM »
Are you saying you can't communicate with your wife? I seem to recall you being a millennial Bernie supporter but at what point do you take charge of this situation? Maybe you're right about a federal law that supposedly provides a translator. I do not know of that law but if the court hasn't supplied one, why don't you make sure she has one if you can't do it. What is she charged with?

I am in the process of all that,,,,, Kinda hard to find a lawyer this time of year,,,,  everything opens back up in a few days...
Caleb Maupin

Online Faux Pas

« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2019, 10:38:18 AM »
You've been married what, a few years by now? You don't know a local Ukrainian that can translate? It's not that difficult to find even in Upstate NY. You're not "entitled" to dick. She's getting caught up in the court system and you're winging it on a court appointed lawyer and hopes they'll throw it out because they don't have a translator for her? She's your wife dude. Grow a pair and get the situation resolved before she gets locked up or deported. The court system is a meat grinder and you're leaving your wife to fend for herself.

I'll note you didn't answer my two previous questions and assume that was intentional

Offline Darth_Budda

« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2019, 11:04:10 AM »
Lets meet up in New York or Ukraine....  WE can discuss this in person.... Then we will see if you keep talking ..

I came on here to try to get information,, every one of your posts was a Troll attack,.. Just you being a total [edited for language]...

« Last Edit: December 27, 2019, 11:34:47 AM by AnonMod »
Caleb Maupin

Online Faux Pas

« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2019, 11:21:34 AM »
I'd be the last person you'd want to meet. I would only repeat what I've said here to you in person. And you would likely find it doesn't piss you off near as much as it does here. I've given you good information. You want free . . ., something you're entitled to from some federal law you don't even know. Your wife, from the sound of it is in criminal court. You from the sound of it are content with letting what happens, happen. Take care of your wife. That's the information I am giving you and it's the best you've gotten so far. Man up
« Last Edit: December 27, 2019, 11:33:27 AM by AnonMod »

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541002
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 1880
Total: 1891

+-Recent Posts

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 09:47:10 AM

What to do by 2tallbill
Today at 09:37:41 AM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Today at 09:18:17 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 07:00:25 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Brillynt
Today at 06:16:36 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:20:42 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:12:54 PM

Yesterday at 09:02:12 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 08:45:42 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 07:59:27 PM