Forum > Trip Reports

Trip report to Baku Azerbiajan August 2006 - very long read

<< < (2/5) > >>

av8or1:
Charles,

Yeah, Ahmed's rug store is indeed right next to the "Love Tower" as I called it, so it appears that we've shared the same dirt, albeit a year and a half apart!  I would definitely recommend staying with BA, as I mentioned that flight back on Aeroflot was the worst, I mean WORST one I have been on in my life.  It wasn't the flying or the service, it was the cramped seating and the deplorable characters who surrounded me.  Bleeech!

Good show WRT not pushing things with Na and learning your lesson on when to bail.  All of the newbies can learn from your experience and should, for their own benefit.  Thanks for sharing.

The cultural barrier thing.  Yeah, a lot of it was K's father, but even more important than that was gonna be the issue of religion and our children.  It wasn't clear how we would raise them, Muslim or Christian.  K wasn't a devout Muslim, but believed in it.  I am not a fanatic Christian but I have a strong faith.  We had several conversations about the issue and although it was quite evident that we could get around it ourselves as adults in our relationship to each other, it was not clear at all what we would do when it came to our children.  You have mentioned that you think that you and Na can get around the issue.  I'd say sure, that oughta be relatively easy amongst well-adjusted adults.  But have you given thought to any children you might have?  Or will you not have children?  This is a much tougher nut to crack and IMHO you should give it some serious thought before deciding to return to Baku to see Na, maybe even discuss it with her too.

That was #1 on the list.  #2 was lifestyle.  In their culture they do some things as a part of their everyday lives that were kinda out there for my tastes.  While I am completely open and even want to diversify myself by sharing in new experiences and new ways of living an existence on this great big green golf ball we call planet Earth, these things were just a bit much for me.  Na may not do those sorts of things, I dunno.  I won't go into the specifics because they're too difficult even to discuss let alone write about.  It's just something you'll have to experience if you go back.  'Point is that you should be looking for these kinds of things and you should do a serious, truthful gut check as to whether or not you could live with them on a daily basis.

Though there are differences, I haven't found these kinds of religious or lifestyle issues with the Russian women I have dated, only Azeri.  I didn't ever date any true Kazak women either, but heard (and saw) enough to know that it was the same kind of thing, only with a little different flavoring.  The differences with the RW seem more managable, IMHO, so I decided to stick with white skinned RW from that point (2/2005) forward.  Boy if it coulda worked out with K though, Hmmph!  I know she would have been a wonderful wife...

Good luck to ya Charles.  Keep us posted on how it's going and I'll be looking for your next TR in April/May.

Best to all,

Jerry

Moonlight:
Ahh, if you only knew how jealous Im about your visit to Baku, I terribly want to go there, this is my home town, I have lived there for many many years...  :'( :'( I really miss this city, gourgeous, windy, with its beauty of Caspian waves....aaaa....  :'(  :'( :'(

Unfortunately there are lot of things in life that cannot happen, so I cannot visit Baku for many reasons. Lucky guy, girls from Azerbaijan are the best   :D

DKMM:
wow first time across the pond and you hit Baku!  That takes some serious cajones, my hat's off to you.

Sounds like a great trip, its good to learn what a rejection is like from a FSU gal but also you have some success!  I know what you mean about the inspiration thing too, good to see you want to better yourself for her (i.e. learn Russian).  Looking forward to that return trip with all the information you've learned I bet!

Best of luck,
DKMM

prince_alfie:
Chuckles sounds like one awesome trip you have. Please keep us updated on it, k?  ;)

Todd:
I read this over lunch today, and I found it to be very compelling having spent roughly half the past year in a Muslim country.  I would reiterate some of the advice already given in this forum.  Flying directly from Baku to Europe to the US is definitely the way to go.  It is just so much easier.  I find that I acclimate more quickly to the time zone and can sleep more easily as a result.  Having flown 12 times to the Middle East this year, I can't emphasize that enough.

Second, I think you hit on a good idea with the gifts instead of cash.  Since you have been to their apartment, you may even have insight into their needs and wants. 

Finally, it sounds like you are having much deeper conversations with Na, and I think that this will serve you well in the future.  I found that frequent consistent contact PRIOR to leaving is key to making the time there more meaningful. 

Thanks for sharing your experiences,

Todd

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version