It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: My new life in the Republic of Georgia  (Read 302220 times)

Offline Maxx2

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: 4 - 10
My new life in the Republic of Georgia
« Reply #300 on: April 29, 2018, 03:04:33 AM »

I always like this photo of the Jvari Monastery. It is not technically the best photo but there is a moodiness about it that I like. I took it with my old cell phone an Apple 4s.

The Jvari Monastery is erected around an octagonal stone base that held large wooden cross. It was built by Georgia's first Christian king, King Mirian and Saint Nino. He converted to Christianity when Saint Nino, a woman, healed his child. This was around the year 326. Monasteries and crosses are often built on high places. It is to inspire people to look up and see God in these structure. The city below the Jvari Monastery is Mtskita where a Cathedral was built that contained Christ's robe that the Roman soldiers gambled over. It was sold to a Jew that brought it to this city.

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #301 on: April 29, 2018, 03:12:16 AM »
I painted when I was 18. It is mixture of 17th Century Dutch landscape and French Impressionism.

My Russian teacher is part of the Batumi artist group. She has 5 published books of poetry. She helps the Russian embassy with situations regarding Russian tourists, visitors and permanent residents and so on. She said she will introduce me to local artists so I get an idea where to art supplies and take up painting again. There is so many interesting historic places here to paint. One kilometer south of me is where Jesus's Apostle Andrew landed his boat to spread Christianity to Georgia.

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #302 on: April 29, 2018, 03:29:57 AM »

Look closely and you can see a cross on top of the rock.

One day I was out exploring south of Tbilisi near the Armenian border. I thought I seen a fortress on top of a hill. As I got closer I notice it was rock out cropping. I decided to get as close as I could. That was when is seen the shepherd free ranging his sheep. There are few fences here to keep the animals off the road.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 03:31:52 AM by Maxx2 »

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #303 on: April 29, 2018, 04:24:35 AM »
Got a special occasion to celebrate or observe? You're going to need a male sheep or lamb for that.

You find of these guys standing along the street. He is a Georgian shepherd selling off his male sheep. They are in a building behind him. They will slaughter him for you and package up the mutton in plastic wrap. One more step that needs to be done is to pay a visit to a priest. He will bless the meat with prayer and Holy water. All over Tbilisi and other cities are restaurants that cater to large groups of people. They have separate rooms or small buildings with bar-b-cues. The women of the family that attend these gatherings bring food they have prepared or the main restaurant with sell you their's. Georgians have LOTS of reasons to celebrate or observe. The main holidays, birth of a child, marriages, anniversaries of marriages, start of a business and death of a loved one or the one-year anniversary of the death of a loved one. The last one is important as the soul is to finally leave the earth and go off to heaven on that date. A final farewell with the feast and then a trip to the cemetery with food, wine, cognac and 80% alcohol called 'Cha Cha'. It is distilled from grapes and stems. I've been told fights break out often at weddings and graveyards.

This guy told me a fight broke out at their wedding and the police came. It didn't happen, but the police almost arrested half the wedding party. Georgians are general peaceful people but they do have tempers and 'Cha Cha' doesn't help!

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #304 on: April 29, 2018, 04:29:48 AM »
Feast rooms

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #305 on: April 29, 2018, 04:57:20 AM »
South of Tbilisi

Nice Georgian Orthodox priest. Friendly guy. He asked me what religion I was. I told him I was a Christian. He told me that wasn't a religion and told him I didn't believe I needed a religion. This disturbed him a bit I could tell.

That egg shaped thing to his left is called a Gvari. It is upside down. It is a clay pot that is rubbed with bee's wax and placed into the ground where it is filled with crushed grapes and the lid is sealed on top. It makes wine of course.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 05:00:36 AM by Maxx2 »

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #306 on: April 29, 2018, 05:04:44 AM »

The Jvari Monastery is erected around an octagonal stone base that held large wooden cross. It was built by Georgia's first Christian king, King Mirian and Saint Nino. He converted to Christianity when Saint Nino, a woman, healed his child. This was around the year 326. Monasteries and crosses are often built on high places.

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #307 on: April 29, 2018, 05:22:57 AM »

It seems the clergy there is using their smartphones almost all the time.

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #308 on: April 29, 2018, 05:26:30 AM »
Georgians tend to be late risers. Get up before 9 AM and you will see an army of these guys and gals sweeping the streets and sidewalks with brooms the Wicked Witch of the East/West would be proud to have.

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #309 on: April 29, 2018, 05:29:17 AM »
And the last one I'll post for the day.

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #310 on: April 29, 2018, 05:38:57 AM »

OK one more

This was where the last Georgian king lived a few hundred years ago. He invited in the Russians to help with the Turks and the Russians never left. Well, not until recent times. The castle wall is all that is left. There are more modern buildings built behind this wall. This is in Tbilisi on the left (North) bank of the Kura river.

Offline BillyB

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #311 on: April 29, 2018, 11:43:04 AM »
It seems the clergy there is using their smartphones almost all the time.

Looks like they're still living like it's 1699 but couldn't resist modern technology when the smart phone came out. Priest was probably playing Candy Crush.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #312 on: April 29, 2018, 05:02:22 PM »

Looks like they're still living like it's 1699 but couldn't resist modern technology when the smart phone came out. Priest was probably playing Candy Crush.

Probably so.

Offline Jumper

« Reply #313 on: May 03, 2018, 02:19:34 PM »

Hopefully madskills motox2. !! Lol
(My bike is in the game)

Offline msmob

• Spouse's Country: Russia
« Reply #314 on: May 07, 2018, 03:39:49 AM »
Great photos, Dave ...  Keep 'em coming

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #315 on: May 07, 2018, 04:30:01 AM »
Great photos, Dave ...  Keep 'em coming

Thank you Moby. I am going to do one on driving and buying a car in the Republic of Georgia.

Offline msmob

• Spouse's Country: Russia
« Reply #316 on: May 07, 2018, 04:51:06 AM »

Thank you Moby. I am going to do one on driving and buying a car in the Republic of Georgia.

Great !))

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #317 on: May 12, 2018, 11:25:47 PM »

Does anyone know of a website that is good for downloading Russian subtitles for English speaking movies and TV series? I'm also looking for a site that has 'Breaking Bad' and 'Better Call Saul' in Russian. Thank you.

Offline Doll

• Trips: No Selection
« Reply #318 on: May 13, 2018, 05:35:14 AM »
ВО ВСЕ ТЯЖКИЕ - Breaking bad

Offline Doll

« Reply #319 on: May 13, 2018, 05:41:17 AM »
Better Call Saul- ЛУЧШЕ ЗВОНИТЕ СОЛУ
http://hdrezka.ag/series/drama/7769-luchshe-zvonite-solu-2015.html

Or just google ЛУЧШЕ ЗВОНИТЕ СОЛУ

Offline BdHvA

« Reply #320 on: May 18, 2018, 06:33:51 PM »
I look forward to future updates Maxx.
Experierence is not what happens to you. It is what you do with what happens to you. A. Huxley

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #321 on: May 19, 2018, 01:40:16 AM »

Buying a car in the Republic of Georgia.

I bought a Mercedes ML 350 almost a year ago. The transaction was at a license bureau by a large car lot outside the Eastern side of Tbilisi. Cars are imported from all over the world to this place and people from many countries come there to buy them.

As in everything here, it is quite different than buying a car at the States. The good aspect to it is anyone can buy a car even a non citizen or not having a Georgian drivers license. Georgia doesn't have a lot of rules and regulations unlike America. I can drive on my USA drivers license until it expires in May 2022.

I was looking to buy a car as I wanted the independence of getting around. Taxis are cheap and so is public transportation. A bus ride is like 20 cents compared to $2.50 in the US. A taxi across town is usual about $4 unless the taxi driver wants to stiff you then it is $12-$15. The operating question to first ask is "Skoll-ka" and pointing to a place on a map. If he quotes a price that is too high then walk away. There are taxis e.v.e.r.y.w.h.e.r.e here. It has been said that half the population of adult men of Tbilisi are taxi drivers. Look down a busy street and you will see at least a dozen cabs. Sometimes they are bunched together four five driving down the street. Just stand in a good place to get picked up and one will drive up and offer a ride. Opels are a common taxi here along with Toyotas and Mercedes. Lots and lots of Mercedes here and lots of spare parts for them.

Made in America, a 2005 California car with 162,000 miles.

So I decided to buy a Mercedes ML 350. It is a SUV with a truck like frame and six airbags. With 4 wheel drive it can handle any of those "roads" leading up to a small village. I contacted the owner from a online ad. I had a Georgian call him and arrange for meeting to see the car. It checked out so we took it to a mechanic for an inspection.

One of the things about the mechanics here is there is a lot of muling and standing around. Usual there is a group of guys not doing much of anything. The guy sleeping there was not alone. There were two other guys asleep in other carless car seats. Georgia is a laid back sort of country except with the driving but I'll get more into that later.

After the car checked out but with the need for a break job I took it and the owner to transfer the title.

The place was huge. They must process hundreds of cars a day. It took about an hour and a half. I got to choose my license plate. It was good that I brought a Georgian along because about a million words were spoken before it was over. I was given a paper to take to a certain bank to pay for the transfer tax. This tax was unpleasant as it is a whopping 25% of the cost of the vehicle.

Then out in the parking lot I gave the owner his money in $100 bills. USD and GEL (Georgian Lari) are the currencies here. Even the banks ATMs pay out in both currencies and it is common for people to ask to be paid in USDs. This is particularly true of rent.

Finally I and the former owner go to the bank and pay the transfer tax. The auto is mine. I get auto insurance the next day. The day after that I get into an auto accident with a taxi of course. Did I tell you they are everywhere and they drive like maniacs?

« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 01:44:24 AM by Maxx2 »

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #322 on: May 19, 2018, 04:25:45 AM »
Bummer. I had a big long post to answer some questions asked of me by PM when I hit send only the internet was off due to a power outage. So here it goes again.

Hi, good car choice !Can I ask? What sort of price? (  don't answer if you wish-- just give me a range approx !!_)How much is registration per year?Insurance ? Is it to 3rd part type?Insurance of damage caused? To your car?I note you said you were able to register in your name -- and your residential status is no more than tourist? Correct?Always interested on your story !!

$6200 which I have been told is a bit high. The registration was 25% and I'll let you do the math on that. There is no yearly registration, no stickers on the license plates. Once you buy it, no more hassle.

Insurance cost me $600 for the year. I got the best policy with very high coverage for damage and hospitalization. I think it was for $35,000 in medical which is super inexpensive here. Most people here do not have car insurance. It is not required by law. I got pulled over once and when I handed the police officer my insurance card he just handed it back to me. He let me go. They are easy on tourists.

Residency is not a problem. You can stay up to 360 days without needing to leave. Direct flights leave and arrive daily from Ukraine and to get another 360 days you only have to leave the country and get your passport stamped. Legal permanent residency I have been told is easy to get but that it is not necessary to get. Flights are rather inexpensive to Kiev.

Opening a bank account or getting a business license is a breeze. No restrictions on Americans with the idiotic FATCA law requiring foreign banks to report USC to the Department of Treasury. Hence foreign banks often don't want USC depositors. Not a problem in Georgia.

If I was going to have business in Ukraine, which unlike Georgia is a very corrupt place, I'd base it in Batumi instead. Batumi also has the attraction of Ukrainian women. It is a country few of them have been to. In Kiev less than a few months ago I met some women through an agency called Daisybride. It was recommended to me by former owner of the Angelika Network, David Stickney. It is a legit operation that actually discourages long letter writing. Anyways I have a lady coming to visit me in 2 weeks from tomorrow. One of things we are going to do together, besides the usual tourist stuff, is check out the cost buying an apartment. We're hoping we'll hit it off.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 04:32:40 AM by Maxx2 »

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #323 on: May 19, 2018, 07:23:45 AM »
My auto accident:

The day after I bought my car insurance I got into an accident with a taxi. Double parking is big problem here. It is not uncommon for someone to pull out in front of you then suddenly stop. That is what happened to me. So I turn the turn signal on and start to ease my around when the taxi behind me decides I'm too slow and swings quickly around me. He miscalculates and clips my left rear bumper putting a dent in the size of a open hand and about an inch deep. My first thought was I was going to do what the insurance lady told me in case of an accident, call them and the police. I had the guy as a passenger who helped me buy the car with me. He got into a conversation with the taxi driver on what to do. I'm told the taxi driver wants pay for the repair himself and leave the insurance company and the police out of.

So we go a body repair shop. Actually it is just a parking lot filled with damaged cars, lots of Mercedes and BMWs. Surrounding the lot is single car garages. The body men are usually in the parking lot unassembling the body parts where they are repaired in the single car garages, painted and so on. So my rear bumper gets taken off. I'm told it will be four days and I can come back and have it reinstalled. Taxi driver wasn't upset at all but actually quite happy to pay the man. Total cost was about $50.

I come back four days later. In about an hour I have shiny new looking bumper installed.

My Georgian friend, the guy in the photo above with his wife, tells me why the taxi driver was happy to work this out and pay the repair bill himself. He said that if the police had come he would probably have been given a ticket. The ticket cost could be around $350-$400. That is one to two months average wages here! The repair bill instead was 2 to 3 days of wages for the average cab driver. No wonder he was so nice and shook my hand when he was about to leave.

Last week I took my car to a repair shop. The electric window was giving me problems. Not alway would it wind up or come down. I'd have to slam the door a number of time or just give it time. A short in the wiring obviously. It was also suggested to me that the motor might be getting worn. So the inside door panel was taken off and the motor removed along with some of the wiring. 2 and 1/2 hours later the motor was rebuilt with new brushes and the wires where replaced. Total cost 60 GEL or $24.50.

Owning a Mercedes is affordable here. I was told I could get a good used 3.5 V6 for $125. That labor to install it would be about that much again. But my V6 is fine. 
« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 07:27:47 AM by Maxx2 »

Offline BillyB

« Reply #324 on: May 19, 2018, 08:48:43 AM »
I was given a paper to take to a certain bank to pay for the transfer tax. This tax was unpleasant as it is a whopping 25% of the cost of the vehicle.

25% sounds excessive. I wonder if part of that tax is an import and customs tax since the Mercedes was used and came from America? The buyer of the car pays for it and not the dealer? Would the tax be less if you bought a car off a fellow citizen, not a dealer who imports used cars?
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 540997
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2004
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 10
Guests: 1992
Total: 2002

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:20:42 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:12:54 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:02:12 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 08:45:42 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 07:59:27 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 07:04:53 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 06:59:45 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 06:57:42 PM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 06:36:52 PM

Re: Twenty Years... and Counting (MarkInTx Update) by supranatural
Yesterday at 03:02:29 PM