It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: K-1 Visa Applied For 9/23/2011  (Read 21645 times)

Offline scafidi454

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: 1 - 3
K-1 Visa Applied For 9/23/2011
« on: September 30, 2011, 07:46:16 PM »
This post is just to basically help anyone looking for comparison.

You can find most information about my case at: http://www.visajourney.com/timeline/profile.php?id=115469

I applied for a K-1 Visa (sent in the paperwork Express USPS service) on September 22nd, 2011 - It was received on September 23rd, 2011 - The first NOA was sent on 9/27/11, and was received on 9/30/2011

Thanks!

Offline Daveman

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: > 10
Re: K-1 Visa Applied For 9/23/2011
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2011, 07:49:53 PM »
Well, glad to hear the first step of the process went smooth! Let's hope the rest does as well! Good Luck!  :clapping:
The duty of a true patriot is to protect his country from its government. -- Thomas Paine

Offline ECOCKS

• To those who deserve it, good luck.
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2011, 09:30:48 PM »
So why are you thinking of renouncing citizenship if you are doing a K1?
Pick and choose carefully among the advice offered and consider the source carefully. PM, Skype or email if you care to chat or discuss

Offline scafidi454

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2011, 05:54:51 AM »
I dont want to renounce my citizenship. If you had read my post correctly? I want a dual citizenship for the US and Russia.

Offline scafidi454

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2011, 05:56:31 AM »
I alwo dont want to have to pay for a visa every time i wait to go to see my new  family.

Offline Anotherkiwi

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2011, 02:39:21 PM »
I dont want to renounce my citizenship. If you had read my post correctly? I want a dual citizenship for the US and Russia.

Well, you can't have it!

Offline viking

• Spouse's Country: Belarus
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2011, 10:23:15 AM »
pay the $100 or so. How many times do you think you will be going over there? If you can afford the trip you can afford the visa. And there is no way you can be a citizen of both countries.
Tom Hanks in Castaway: You never know what the tide may bring in.
Viking: But you still need to walk along the beach to find it.

Offline Shadow

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2011, 10:45:22 AM »
pay the $100 or so. How many times do you think you will be going over there? If you can afford the trip you can afford the visa. And there is no way you can be a citizen of both countries.
That depends on the arrangements both countries have made, and how they are checked.
No it is not a dog. Its really how I look.  ;)

Offline tfcrew

• North Texas... Married 21 years
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2011, 03:09:35 PM »
  I want a dual citizenship for the US and Russia.
For yourself?
You then would have to immigrate to Russia, and it would still be up to the Russian consulate.
~There is no one more blind than those who refuse to see and none more deaf as those who will not listen~
~Think about the intelligence of the average person and then realize that half of the people are even more stupid than that~

Offline scafidi454

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2011, 04:05:00 PM »
We both want to have dual citizenship.

Offline scafidi454

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2011, 05:47:58 PM »
What is upstaging? We both just want to avoid having to apply for a visa when we want to travel between our home countries. Well, I guess once she get's her citizenship, it will only be me who has to apply for the visa. However, it's still going to be a hassle.

Offline tfcrew

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2011, 08:00:30 PM »
  Russian FederationCountry Specific Information

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1006.html
~There is no one more blind than those who refuse to see and none more deaf as those who will not listen~
~Think about the intelligence of the average person and then realize that half of the people are even more stupid than that~

Offline TwoBitBandit

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2011, 09:46:20 PM »
Unfortunately, Russia requires you to renounce your prior citizenship if you want to acquire Russian citizenship.  So, you'd have to renounce your western citizenship.

I realize that the Russian government is being a big pigheaded in this respect, since it's possible for a Russian to acquire another citizenship without losing Russian citizenship.  Go figure, it's a quasi-dictatorship and they make the rules.

Even if you wanted to go down that route, you would have to first become a permanent resident of Russia and go live there for a certain amount of time.  Marrying a Russian citizen while you live abroad doesn't give you a path to citizenship.

It is fairly straitforward (by Russian standards, anyway) to get a residence permit to live in Russia if you're married to a Russian citizen, but you'll lose your residency if you stay abroad too much.

Unless you really want to live in Russia, just put up with the visa process.

Offline acrzybear

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2011, 05:26:03 AM »
What is upstaging? We both just want to avoid having to apply for a visa when we want to travel between our home countries. Well, I guess once she get's her citizenship, it will only be me who has to apply for the visa. However, it's still going to be a hassle.

Once you are married, the cost of a visa to visit Russia will be the least of your expenses/worries. 
Necessitas dat ingenium

Offline tfcrew

Offline scafidi454

« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2011, 06:59:50 AM »

Once you are married, the cost of a visa to visit Russia will be the least of your expenses/worries.

And why do you say tha? I think it is ignorant to not think about saving that cost, I possible.

Offline Muzh

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2011, 07:37:46 AM »
And why do you say tha? I think it is ignorant to not think about saving that cost, I possible.

Scadifi, my apologies, but you are the one showing your ignorance here.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead. Thomas Paine - The American Crisis 1776-1783

Offline acrzybear

« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2011, 08:59:45 AM »
Muzh
Obviously this guy has no idea of what he is doing or getting into. 
scafidi454- The visa for Russia can be a pain sometimes and you have to plan ahead of time if you wish to go. If cost and convience are that important to you, perhaps you should look for a bride in a visa free country. 
Good luck and save those pennies. 
Necessitas dat ingenium

Online Faux Pas

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: No Selection
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2011, 09:09:23 AM »

The path to citizenship of Russia will come at a much greater costs financially and otherwise than the 160 bucks it take for you to acquire a visa for each trip that you make.

Honestly scafidi, you haven't researched it much or at all, have you?

Offline scafidi454

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2011, 06:31:34 PM »

I was writing on the Galaxy Tab this morning from the doctor's office, which is why my spelling was so horrible. But thanks for letting me know how ignorant I am.

On top of that, I'm not necessarily looking for cost or convenience. Actually, I wasn't even looking for a bride, unlike most of the people who seek out these agencies.

I am just trying to make the best decision for us, given our circumstances. She and I are both in our early twenties, and we don't want to limit ourselves right now.

I have done some research regarding Russian citizenship, but I have not begun to compile the costs for all of those things. I am in school full-time and have a full-time job. Plus, I was planning my K-1 visa, and my tourist visa to Russia before that (I had to do more than most to get my visa, but I will not tell you all why).

Furthermore, many jobs in Russia require Russian citizenship. So, I can open a wide door for myself by getting the Russian citizenship.

Additionally, an ADDED BENEFIT to having Russian citizenship is CONVENIENCE.  The convenience to be able to purchase a ticket to Russia when I want and not when the Russian government indirectly dictates. The convenience and peace of mind to be able to plan a family trip without having to apply individually for visas, and without having to wait to plan until after the visas are received.

If I were worried about costs, I wouldn't have spent the time and money that I did to go to Russia during a week that I had almost no personal time with my spouse due to her work, meeting some of her family, hanging out with my Russian friends (I have those), and sight seeing.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 06:50:10 PM by scafidi454 »

Offline Daveman

« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2011, 07:21:04 PM »

I was writing on the Galaxy Tab this morning from the doctor's office, which is why my spelling was so horrible. But thanks for letting me know how ignorant I am.

Well, let's see:

ig-no-rant -- adjective -- 1 a: destitute of knowledge or education <an ignorant society>; also: lacking knowledge or comprehension of the thing specified b: resulting from or showing lack of knowledge or intelligence <ignorant errors>  2: unaware; uninformed

I think you asked your question in the first place because of your ignorance on the subject of dual USA/Russian citizenship. And, I am completely ignorant of the subject as well. Aside from one misguided fool about 50 years ago who ignorantly defected to the Soviet Union, which ultimately didn't turn out so well, I am completely ignorant of anyone who has even tried this, much less succeeded.

Yeah, it seems like a good idea on the surface, but, my guess is that if you actually did pull it off, by the time you did, you'd probably be A) a serious alcoholic from all the frustration and B) have a lot less cash in your pocket from paying your way through the system

On top of that, I'm not necessarily looking for cost or convenience. Actually, I wasn't even looking for a bride, unlike most of the people who seek out these agencies.

heeeeengh????  I admit utter igorance at this point.

I am just trying to make the best decision for us, given our circumstances. She and I are both in our early twenties, and we don't want to limit ourselves right now.

That's a phenomenally good idea.

I have done some research regarding Russian citizenship, but I have not begun to compile the costs for all of those things. I am in school full-time and have a full-time job. Plus, I was planning my K-1 visa, and my tourist visa to Russia before that (I had to do more than most to get my visa, but I will not tell you all why).

Furthermore, many jobs in Russia require Russian citizenship. So, I can open a wide door for myself by getting the Russian citizenship.

Additionally, an ADDED BENEFIT to having Russian citizenship is CONVENIENCE.  The convenience to be able to purchase a ticket to Russia when I want and not when the Russian government indirectly dictates. The convenience and peace of mind to be able to plan a family trip without having to apply individually for visas, and without having to wait to plan until after the visas are received.

If I were worried about costs, I wouldn't have spend the time and money that I did to go to Russia during a week that I had almost no personal time with my spouse due to her work, meeting some of her family, hanging out with my Russian friends (I have those), and sight seeing.

Good luck with all of it!

Dave
The duty of a true patriot is to protect his country from its government. -- Thomas Paine

Offline scafidi454

« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2011, 07:37:13 PM »
I only started this thread to provide others with historical data for their future efforts.

Thank you everyone for dissecting my posts, and twisting them into what you believe my intentions are.

By saying "I'm not necessarily looking for costs or convenience" I meant that I have other things on my mind AS WELL or IN ADDITION TO.

I know what ignorance is, and I don't need the definition Daveman. I actually only originally made a statement that I wanted dual citizenship, which snowballed into a discussion of how I could not have it or that I SHOULDN'T EVEN TRY BECAUSE IT'S TOO EXPENSIVE.

I'd really just like for this thread to be deleted now before I end up getting myself banned from this site.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 07:44:33 PM by scafidi454 »

Online 2tallbill

• Living the dream
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2011, 07:41:30 PM »
We both want to have dual citizenship.

You got off on the wrong foot a little bit but no worries.

The fact of the matter is you can't do it. It doesn't matter your reasons for wanting to
do this only that you can't.

Your wife will be able to keep her Russian passport and when she becomes an American Citizen
she can have an American passport as well. In the interim when she gets her Green Card she
should be able to travel back and forth between the US and Russia with ease. 

Udachi

Bill
FSUW are not for entry level daters
FSUW don't do vague
FSUW like a man of action. Be a man of action 
If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane.
There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Just kiss the girl, don't ask her first. Tolerate NO excuses!

Offline viking

• Spouse's Country: Belarus
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2011, 09:12:41 PM »
http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/336003-adjustment-of-status-green-card/

Maybe if members here read the above thread, this thread will make more sense. Since the OP already posted a link to this site, I am hoping that this additional link does not go against any TOS.
Tom Hanks in Castaway: You never know what the tide may bring in.
Viking: But you still need to walk along the beach to find it.

Offline acrzybear

« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2011, 09:19:24 PM »

If I were worried about costs, I wouldn't have spent the time and money that I did to go to Russia during a week that I had almost no personal time with my spouse due to her work, meeting some of her family, hanging out with my Russian friends (I have those), and sight seeing.

Well the flip side is the Russian government can also dictate if you can leave or not :(
You stated your spouse, if you are married to a Russian lady then you would need the K-3 visa, if she is still your fiance' then it would be the K-1.
 :offtopic:
You have another post where you listed a resume of sorts for a job in Russia.  All I can say is the western way of doing business is totally different from the Russian way.  Also not speaking the language, you would be like fresh meat in the middle of a shark infested feeding frenzy. It sounds like you are in a hurry and doing 1000+ things.   
Necessitas dat ingenium

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541008
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 1859
Total: 1870

+-Recent Posts

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 01:09:03 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:51:13 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:33:48 PM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:24:44 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 11:16:08 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by ML
Today at 10:31:43 AM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 09:47:10 AM

What to do by 2tallbill
Today at 09:37:41 AM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Today at 09:18:17 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 07:00:25 AM