It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Marrieds discussing the future and risk managment  (Read 6189 times)

Offline Journeyman

Marrieds discussing the future and risk managment
« on: July 01, 2005, 07:15:48 PM »
I was wondering if any of the married members (WM or RW) could comment on the following:

How have discussions gone regarding planning for the future and risk management (e.g., wills, estate planning, living wills, power of attorney, retirement planning, college funds for children, emergency funds, setting aside money for major projects or purchases, preventative maintenance on houses, savings plans, IRA and 401K contributions, all types of insurance (especially life and disability insurance and long-term care insurance), plus other issues of contingency planning (i.e., just-in-case such and such happens), or even things as seemingly sensible as home security systems and fire escape routes and instructions for children?

I ask because of my numerous experiences talking about the future with RW, and the generally negative responses I get.  As is often the case, they are not thinking much about the long-term, and speaking about the future or potential problems will (seemingly in their eyes) only serve to either bring about the problem itself, or prevent any good future from occurring.  On the other hand, of course, talking about good things in the future will also jinks things (again, in their eyes).  Not always, but I have come across some apparently very superstitious RW.  

Have any of the married WM found their RW to be receptive to these discussions and issues?  Do your wives seem to understand the concepts alright?

Have any of the married RW found these talks or issues to be difficult or upsetting?  Would you just prefer your husband to deal with such things and not involve you?

By the way, let's avoid any reference to pre-nups, as that topic is a bit too hot to include here, and can stand as a seperate threat on its own.

Thank you in advance for your replies.
Journeyman

Offline BC

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Marrieds discussing the future and risk managment
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2005, 03:13:15 AM »
Quote from: Journeyman
I ask because of my numerous experiences talking about the future with RW, and the generally negative responses I get.  As is often the case, they are not thinking much about the long-term, and speaking about the future or potential problems will (seemingly in their eyes) only serve to either bring about the problem itself, or prevent any good future from occurring.  On the other hand, of course, talking about good things in the future will also jinks things (again, in their eyes).  Not always, but I have come across some apparently very superstitious RW.

Journeyman,

Quite true in my experience, but wears off after the first couple years.

Now she makes plans and I say "but darling.. we shouldn't make plans or?".. her answer: "That was in Russia".

RW are not dumb.. they just need a little time to catch up.

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541473
Total Topics: 20864
Most Online Today: 3481
Most Online Ever: 12701