It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: My new life in the Republic of Georgia  (Read 302602 times)

Online Hammer2722

• Spouse's Country: Belarus
  • Trips: 4 - 10
My new life in the Republic of Georgia
« Reply #525 on: August 29, 2018, 09:22:34 AM »
Well...if a newbie has rotten, cracked, or missing teeth and he hasn't fixed them for years, he can believe you that there's no harm when the opposite sex looks at him or he can believe that women will judge his lack of action and hold it against him when she sees his teeth going on a date. Some men are clueless about their hygiene and how they look to others.

Most definitely agree with this. Unless you've got a lot of money. Some women will tend to overlook this....
every ship can be a minesweeper at least once...

Offline GQBlues

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #526 on: August 29, 2018, 09:33:33 AM »
...I was quoted $2400 in America. My oldest daughter told me she needed this and shopped around. She found a dentist who would do a root canal and crown (probably the least expensive crown) for $1500....

Wow! How long ago was that, maxx? Seem too high. I was under the impression root canals here in LA where anywhere from $800 - $1,200.00 without insurance.

Anyway, great digitals on those 'x-rays'. When I saw it before reading your post, it looked to me like a typical European set of gnashers.
Quote from: msmob
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.
3. N95 mask will choke you dead after 30 min. of use.

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #527 on: August 29, 2018, 11:19:31 AM »

Wow! How long ago was that, maxx? Seem too high. I was under the impression root canals here in LA where anywhere from $800 - $1,200.00 without insurance.

The higher number you mentioned was what I was quoted in 2016. The lower number was what my oldest daughter was quoted that same year. The $1500 quoted to her was for a root canal AND a crown. $2400 quoted to me was for a root canal and a crown. The crown in the States is about the same cost as the root canal. However here in Georgia the crown, the better crown, is about double what the root canal cost. But the overall price of a root canal is about 10% of what they cost in the States, $75 verses $750-$1200. In Georgia you can get the lesser quality but still good chromium/cobalt enamel coated crown for about $120. But for about 40% more you can get the top-of-the-line zirconium crown for less than $180. What those cost in the States I don't know.

Keep something in mind about these prices. I know people here who work 7 hours a day 6 days a week for 500 GEL a month. Like the people that work at the gym. There is 2.55 GEL to the USD. I'll let you do the math.   

Republic of Georgia this year:
$75 for a root canal
$175 for a crown in zirconium (the best)

United States of America circa 2016:
$750-$1200 for a root canal
$750-$1200 for a crown

When preparing the photos for this post a few days ago I got one prepared of my bank statement showing the use of my debit card. I try and use cash whenever I can, but sometimes easier just use the card.

I used my debit card to pay for the teeth cleaning shown at the bottom and a week later for the crown shown at the top. The other numbers are for cash at the ATM and the $10 one was for the pharmacy (Where the cute girls I told you about are) for the Metformin. The miracle drug that will keep me alive for another 50 years (and chasing women). Metformin, insulin and most drugs can be bought over the counter without a doctor's prescription. I doubt narcotics can.   

Offline ML

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #528 on: August 29, 2018, 08:40:49 PM »

Metformin, insulin and most drugs can be bought over the counter without a doctor's prescription. I doubt narcotics can.

Well then, that rules out Georgia for me.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #529 on: August 30, 2018, 04:58:10 AM »
Metformin, insulin and most drugs can be bought over the counter without a doctor's prescription. I doubt narcotics can.

Well then, that rules out Georgia for me.

That and they allow restauranteurs and bar owners the choice to allow smoking on their premises. I'm a non-smoker remember. I just appreciate more when the government isn't quick to hassle you over this or that. In Georgia the rules are not set by Big Pharma or Big Med. Tort lawyers are nonexistent. And you know what? I appreciate things like handrails on the steps of public (public use) buildings and other things to make things safe. But that rarely exists here. I just know to use extra caution to prevent a broken leg or pelvis.

ML, I know you are joking about not being able to get narcotics over the counter. I get your humor.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 05:00:02 AM by Maxx2 »

Online krimster2

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #530 on: August 30, 2018, 06:00:23 AM »
when I lived in Ukraine, you could buy these tablets in the Anteka that had 500 mg tylenol and 30 mg codeine
they were probably pretty cheap, I think most of these went to addicts
I met one of them, she was pretty young (and pretty), but she was killing herself with them
the problem with all narcotics is tolerance, and as a result you need to take an increasing amount to get the same high
when I met this young woman she was taking 6 tablets per day which equaled 3 grams of tylenol
tylenol is toxic to the liver in large quantities
4 grams in one dose could be fatal or cause permanent liver damage
and she was taking 3 grams every day
soon as I met her, I could tell what she was doing, just because of the jaundice in her eyes
I asked her how many tablets she was taking
she was shocked that I knew
so I showed her how to do a "cold water extraction" and get a slurry that probably has 90% of the starting codeine and only 1% of the tylenol
hopefully I saved her life
I lost track of Katya, I was married, and knew she would just end up being dependent on me which would get my wife upset
I met a lot of young female addicts in Russia and Ukraine
very, very risky being associated with them
every addict that I've tried to save, male or female, American or Russian
ended up stabbing me in the back

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #531 on: August 30, 2018, 07:21:52 AM »
My landlady is here with her friend cleaning. I am staying here for 2 more months and then back to Batumi. I got arraignments made to rent the luxury apartment along the Black Sea. It is home to me. I miss Batumi and my friends I made there. One of them contacted mr today and asked when I was coming back.

My landlady just told me what the internet costs monthly. I knew it alreadbut I thought I'd tell you.

Cost of monthly internet:
$17.65

I think it is 4G but when downloading movies et cetera the fastest download speed I've noticed is 2.9 mg per second. Which for me is fast enough. It is dependent upon the download speed of the others in the torrent.

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #532 on: August 30, 2018, 07:29:33 AM »
I hope Krimster that you teaching her to upgrade the mixture to a higher percentage of codeine didn't have another consequence?

Something I don't understand. How is it possible to have a young woman in your life and be married to another RW at the same time? 

Offline ML

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
« Reply #533 on: August 30, 2018, 07:29:45 AM »
I just know to use extra caution to prevent a broken leg or pelvis.

If you want to avoid broken pelvis . . . remember the caution about safe sex.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Online krimster2

« Reply #534 on: August 30, 2018, 07:54:37 AM »
“I hope Krimster that you teaching her to upgrade the mixture to a higher percentage of codeine didn't have another consequence?”

it wasn’t a stronger mixture
it’s the same strength of codeine
just minus the tylenol/paracemetol that was destroying her liver
I am a strong advocate of “harm reduction”
showing signs of jaundice meant she was not far from having a very painful death from liver failure, could’ve been as soon as months, or as long as a few years, likely she already had permanent damage, which could resurface when she gets older
hopefully, the knowledge I gave her, allowed her the opportunity to live a bit longer than she otherwise would have.  I’m not qualified to give a definitive answer, but if she had continued what she was doing, I find it unlikely she would would have been alive 2 years after I met her

“Something I don't understand. How is it possible to have a young woman in your life and be married to another RW at the same time? “

it may NOT be possible for YOU
my wife and I are not CONVENTIONAL
our bond runs at a “deeper level” (sorry, I hate cliches, but don’t feel like writing an essay about this) than just sex
I did not have a sexual relationship with this particular woman, just a friendship
I knew she would become dependent on me, and the consequences
so I pointed her in what I thought was the right direction, (the codeine being just one topic)
and helped her catch the wind
and I set her free

I am a different person now
not so hopeful about humanity
so I’ve become less involved with those who need help

but look...
if “people” didn’t look outside their marriage,
then why do a third of married people admit to affairs
why do so many married couples engage in “swinging”
my wife and I have an open marriage, I know of several other happily married couples who do the same, all of us are quite happy and content with our spouses and marriage
if you have the strong underlying bond
then it’s the same as if I go out for a gourmet meal by myself once in awhile
my wife knows I’ll be back home to for her cooking next day
also, I see a lot men have this attitude that if a woman has sex
it makes her dirty, or impure,
remember the guy here, who only wanted a virgin
my wife and I don't think this way at all
but obviously a lot of other people do
my emotional commitment is 100% to my wife and family
I am confident of this, and so is my wife
and because of this, my wife has extended to me, this "gift"
one of many she has given me
including two beautiful children

BTW, we have a lot of “rules” about this subject
it requires 100% total honesty to work
but it does work for us
and as far as I’m concerned that’s what’s important
even if some people don’t approve or understand
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 08:13:11 AM by krimster2 »

Offline GQBlues

« Reply #535 on: August 30, 2018, 08:04:34 AM »
...Keep something in mind about these prices. I know people here who work 7 hours a day 6 days a week for 500 GEL a month. Like the people that work at the gym. There is 2.55 GEL to the USD. I'll let you do the math....

Yup. This is a very important factor to consider when looking at/hearing these types of comparisons. Even just within the 48 states, you can easily see such disparities in living cost relative to wages.

My ex-Slovakian GF always makes this point before when people she spoke with here in the US compares costs between two countries. I remember only being charged a USD value of $11.00/rounds of drinks for 14 people in Banska Bystrica. That's when I got into trouble for tipping too much. I always paid a value of $20.00, almost 50% tip, since I figure in the US, 20 bucks only buys me a beer and maybe a martini.     

Maxx I know you were self-employed before and owned your business, but FWIW, wifey had a root canal, and one redo that she had in Russia. We have employer-provided insurance, and IINM, we paid a total of $118.00. Top notch work, too.
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #536 on: August 30, 2018, 08:13:05 AM »
Thanks ML for the word of caution.

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #537 on: August 30, 2018, 08:39:52 AM »
Yup. This is a very important factor to consider when looking at/hearing these types of comparisons. Even just within the 48 states, you can easily see such disparities in living cost relative to wages.

My ex-Slovakian GF always makes this point before when people she spoke with here in the US compares costs between two countries. I remember only being charged a USD value of $11.00/rounds of drinks for 14 people in Banska Bystrica. That's when I got into trouble for tipping too much. I always paid a value of $20.00, almost 50% tip, since I figure in the US, 20 bucks only buys me a beer and maybe a martini.     

Maxx I know you were self-employed before and owned your business, but FWIW, wifey had a root canal, and one redo that she had in Russia. We have employer-provided insurance, and IINM, we paid a total of $118.00. Top notch work, too.

I post all the info about saving money mostly for those whose circumstances need it and for entertainment value for those that don't. If you have insurance or are rich my info has less value. I can't imagine Warren Buffet reading what I write and say, "Hey I think I'll go to Tbilisi and use doctor Gigi!  :D  I could save $20K!" Of course his insurance would cover it and he wouldn't have let it get so bad in the first place. Broken and missing teeth are a sign that things haven't been going so good for you lately. For me they have been going down hill since 2007. The "Free Trade Deal" of the 90s kicked into high gear for me on the loss of my largest manufacturing account. 105 years in business and they could no longer compete with foreign labor. But that is a topic for another thread. And there is that thread and it starts with 'T' something.

I am rather shocked how little people get paid here. I wonder how they make it. I think because they band together and share the costs of living within their family. There is the dacha with fruits and vegetables and in Georgia, wine for the men. And boy do Georgians drink, including the grandpas! It is not considered unusual for three generations to live together. In many ways it is a good thing. Families are closer. But can you image GQ if you and the Mrs having to live with your mother and grandfather?

I over tip too and people that work at the restaurants always have a big smile for me. This includes the owner who will give me on the house a tall shot of 'cha cha,' 60-80% you know what... A couple of those and you are floating out the place.

I stopped drinking because of the calories. The past 12 days since the start of my diet are going great! I see I am losing weight. But today the landlady brought by the monthly bottles of white and red wine. I think I'll have my twelve day celebration of my diet tonight and stop posting. Goodnight everyone! 
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 08:52:34 AM by Maxx2 »

Offline GQBlues

« Reply #538 on: August 30, 2018, 08:56:49 AM »
My landlady is here with her friend cleaning. I am staying here for 2 more months and then back to Batumi. I got arraignments made to rent the luxury apartment along the Black Sea. It is home to me. I miss Batumi and my friends I made there. One of them contacted mr today and asked when I was coming back.

My landlady just told me what the internet costs monthly. I knew it alreadbut I thought I'd tell you.

$17.65

I think it is 4G but when downloading movies et cetera the fastest download speed I've noticed is 2.9 mg per second. Which for me is fast enough. It is dependent upon the download speed of the others in the torrent.

Great price. I'm sure soon Georgia will outfit itself with fiber optics as we do here. AT&T have 1 Gbps connectivity capability, typical download speed is around 900-930 mbps).

Your wifi efficiency is measure by Download speed, Upload speed, and Ping. We have a pretty decent speed with the following reads: 59.81 mbps, 54.83 mbps and 26 ms (download, upload and Ping). It cost us $38.00/mo. bundled with TV and mobile for additional costs. Total monthly bill is $197.00, including internet.

Quote from: maxx
I am rather shocked how little people get paid here. I wonder how they make it. I think because they band together and share the costs of living within their family. There is the dacha with fruits and vegetables and in Georgia, wine for the men. And boy do Georgians drink, including the grandpas! It is not considered unusual for three generations to live together. In many ways it is a good thing. Families are closer. But can you image GQ if you and the Mrs having to live with your mother and grandfather?

That's true in a lot of places. True in eastern Europe and even in many places in SA, Asia, including the pacific islands. In the P.I. they do the same. It isn't that surprising to see 4 generations living in one home. I don't know what its like there now as I haven't been there in decades, but that's how it was living there before.

As for your last Q. I'd work 5 jobs plus one if that assures me of living separately. I left home when I was barely 17 and never looked back. Despite my upbringing, I couldn't imagine hitting my 20s and still be living at home. If my in-laws do make the decision to come and live in the US, we already eyed and made preliminary info gathering where to buy them a nice unit close to us. I think wifey is a bit Americanized now that she tells me while she wouldn't mind it as much as I do, she have a tough time even imagining living with parents under the same roof again.

Offline mhr7

« Reply #539 on: August 30, 2018, 10:53:10 AM »
$17.65

Here in Russia I only pay $7.50 (450 rubles) per month for wifi.
"After your death, you will be what you were before your birth." - Schopenhauer

Offline msmob

« Reply #540 on: August 30, 2018, 10:38:56 PM »
We pay 700 Roubles/ month - but that gives us IP TV, too - there is a package for 1400 R/ month that gives faster speeds and just about any channel you'd want... but speeds aren't THAT great..

However, 30 MBs down and 15 MBs up - with a ping time of 27ms is 'good' enough for the price paid

Be VERY wary of most speed tests - they are so often  not representative ..

Try using speedof.me

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #541 on: August 31, 2018, 01:40:18 AM »

I have no idea the speed of my internet. I have not learned to figure such things out. I just know that I can download a 1 Gigabyte movie off of Kickass torrents (the old thepiratebay) in less that 5 minutes. Georgia might be light years ahead of you all but I doubt it...

GQ, remember me with my calling cards?  :cluebat:  It wasn't till I got to Georgia November 2015 that I got my first real cell phone. I bought it at the "Apple" store. It was a Apple G5s I think. Probably a production overrun that fell off the back of a truck. I got signed up to Geocell then later to Beeline, these were my first carriers. Before that I had $20 cell phones from Walmart and a $20 a month card I would buy for it. I only got those if I was going on a road trip. My first smart phone was last year, a 2016 Lenova. I lost it in a taxi cab in Tbilisi but the cabbie returned it. My latest is a Samsung November 2016. I've lost it at the Batumi airport, found by another taxi driver (every other man in Georgia is a taxi driver) and he turned it into the police. Recently I lost it again but I found it between the seats of my car. My Kiev lady friend knowing my talent for losing things bought me a man bag. I hate those things as they look so metrosexual. The Georgian men and they are all machos here give me stares when I carry it. It looks a little more masculine slung over my shoulder. I should wear an American Flag shirt and they might think it is a holster for my 44 Magnum.   

Offline GQBlues

« Reply #542 on: August 31, 2018, 04:24:54 PM »
Last time MIL was here with us, wifey got her a 'smartphone' from AT&T. Looks just like an iPhone. 8G and even had a camera/video capability. Temp service. She paid I believe $60.00, maybe less, which included first month of service - unlimited calling, text and data. Then she would have to go online and prepay $$ for any additional months of service. When MIL left, she took the phone with her and is now using it in Russia. Got WhatsApp. I don't remember the brand. Chinese made.

Damned calling cards. Yes, I remember :-(

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #543 on: August 31, 2018, 04:39:00 PM »

Damned calling cards. Yes, I remember :-(

I got used to using them to call my first RW. $20 a day for month after month. This was in 2001.

Offline SANDRO43

« Reply #544 on: August 31, 2018, 04:44:27 PM »
I have no idea the speed of my internet. I have not learned to figure such things out.
Try one of these:

- http://speedtest.xfinity.com/
- http://www.speedtest.net/
- http://fast.com/
- http://speedtest.att.com/speedtest/

Many more available by Googling: "Internet Speed Test" ;).
Milan's "Duomo"

Offline msmob

« Reply #545 on: August 31, 2018, 06:41:52 PM »
Sorry, Sandro - comms is my 'thang' ..

[ DO not - moby edit ] Try one of these: ')

- http://speedtest.xfinity.com/ - only accurate if in the USA and you must choose the nearest server AND uses Javascript
- http://www.speedtest.net/ - always over optimistic
- http://fast.com/  - never seen this one - the best of your bunch if using advanced
- http://speedtest.att.com/speedtest/ - again US specific - have to choose 'nearest' server - not accurate

speedof.me shows the consistency of the speed of uploads and downloads - not the 'best' burst achieved - internet providers HATE it  - they send you to the speedtest.nets of this world for a for a reason  ;)

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #546 on: September 01, 2018, 03:48:18 AM »
Try one of these:

- http://speedtest.xfinity.com/
- http://www.speedtest.net/
- http://fast.com/
- http://speedtest.att.com/speedtest/

Many more available by Googling: "Internet Speed Test" ;) .

Thanks Sandro. I used //fast.com/ and it says 13 Mbps

Speedtest.xfinity says

DOWNLOAD SPEED

UPLOAD SPEED

« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 03:55:37 AM by Maxx2 »

Offline msmob

« Reply #547 on: September 01, 2018, 05:51:40 AM »
Guys, guys ..

Your test results will be BOLLOX - with ping times in the 100s of milli- seconds if using some of these tests- as some are going from Tbilisi to the USA ;)

Maxx - go to http://speedof.me

THEN ..you'll see a TRUE test result

NB : As long as you use a network cable and are not downloading other things simultaneously

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #548 on: September 01, 2018, 06:26:20 AM »

Maxx - go to http://speedof.me

THEN ..you'll see a TRUE test result

Just using the Wi-fi

8.18 Mbps Download and 14.48 Mbps Upload

Offline msmob

« Reply #549 on: September 01, 2018, 11:28:34 AM »
I wonder what you are supposed to get ... ?   The download suggests that the system is possibly busy / overloaded - as it is worse than the upload. You are sharing the bandwidth you pay for with lots of people

What ping times are you getting and are the graphs spikey or solid along the top ?

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541006
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 1880
Total: 1891

+-Recent Posts

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:33:48 PM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:24:44 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 11:16:08 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by ML
Today at 10:31:43 AM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 09:47:10 AM

What to do by 2tallbill
Today at 09:37:41 AM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Today at 09:18:17 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 07:00:25 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Brillynt
Today at 06:16:36 AM

Yesterday at 09:20:42 PM