It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Coronavirus, how are you preparing for it and how it is affecting you so far?  (Read 439736 times)

Offline msmob

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
Coronavirus, how are you preparing for it and how it is affecting you so far?
« Reply #1750 on: April 02, 2020, 07:37:41 AM »
Of you, never Mobers ;D

I am the only one in my car going back & forth and I am the only one at my pad in Wales so hence I am social distancing.

You know most Welsh are really English Mobers ;)

Actually, the English spoke what is v.similar to Welsh before successive invaders .. you might actually have learnt something today !

Offline BC

• Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #1751 on: April 02, 2020, 07:45:29 AM »
As I said Trench - you don't have a clue.

Observing your posts, you have a view of the world that is as distorted as the sad couch you are always sitting on.

It is not my usual manner to browbeat, but over the years you have been given a ton of good advice and ignored every bit.. and still retain your tiny view of a world you know precious little about, much less possess the ability cope with it.

I do suggest professional help - seriously.

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
  • Spouse's Country: Ukraine
« Reply #1752 on: April 02, 2020, 08:04:26 AM »
When I go to the local Muslim store to buy great olives from Marocco and bread today, I'll again leave a couple hundred behind to anonymously help fill the grocery baskets of less fortunate families I have never met.

Yep, rich man going in wallet waving again ::)
"If you make your own bread, then and only then, are you a free man unchained and alive living in pooty tang paradise, or say no and live in Incel island with all the others." - Krimster

Offline msmob

« Reply #1753 on: April 02, 2020, 08:07:41 AM »

Trench thinks his building 'Trench Terrace' in a Welsh valley will qualify him to live in Ukraine and wave £ notes...

Offline GQBlues

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #1754 on: April 02, 2020, 08:15:33 AM »

She is "only" my girlfriend so far - would have been change of status this summer, now postponed until late fall, but she already has residence permit here as living with partner
;)

She still has her business there, even if that now is closed down, and she kept her part time work with the bank which is all done remotely (as a risk analyst)

That's a very interesting system, Nightwish! Did she acquire that status because of your relationship, or did she already have a residence permit beforehand?

Anyway, I hope somehow you both can be together again soon.
Quote from: msmob
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.
3. N95 mask will choke you dead after 30 min. of use.

Offline BC

« Reply #1755 on: April 02, 2020, 08:17:51 AM »

The part you missed is:

to anonymously help fill the grocery baskets

Offline Chelseaboy

• Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #1756 on: April 02, 2020, 08:27:28 AM »
Sky News reporter in New York saying that the predicted job losses in the USA because of lockdowns will be 12-15 %,which is akin to the great depression.

Not good.
Just saying it like it is.

Offline msmob

« Reply #1757 on: April 02, 2020, 08:32:12 AM »
Some people seem to have an alternate view of 'help' ?

http://metro.co.uk/2020/04/02/paranoid-train-driver-drove-speeding-loco-off-tracks-try-destroy-coronavirus-hospital-ship-12498986/

‘Paranoid train driver drove speeding loco off tracks to try and destroy coronavirus hospital ship’

Offline Nightwish

« Reply #1758 on: April 02, 2020, 08:56:22 AM »
That's a very interesting system, Nightwish! Did she acquire that status because of your relationship, or did she already have a residence permit beforehand?

Anyway, I hope somehow you both can be together again soon.
sorry for a little off topic here but..

In Sweden, cohabitant partner and Married are almost equal in rights. There are some differences when it comes to heritage and other financial details, but in most they are considered the same, with the same rights. So here, getting married are really just a "piece of paper" that don't really mean much in the meaning of laws, token of love sure, a more binding commitment yes, harder to separate absolutely, but other than that, cohabitant partners have almost the same protection.
It only becomes a "problem" when you separate, that is where there is no law in place such as a divorce in court will have.
Just last year, Sweden introduced online divorce - if both partners are in agreement, no children under 18 (or older but still in school) you just register the divorce online, both sign with e-ID and the process takes ~2-3 weeks and then you get papers back that you are divorced :)

Spouses, regis­tered part­ners or coha­bi­ting part­ners
You may be granted a residence permit if you are married, have entered into a registered partnership, or have been cohabiting with someone who now lives in Sweden.

Cohabiting partners means two persons who are not married but live together and have a “marriage-like” relationship with each other. It is not enough for you to have been living together when visiting as tourists, for example.

If you are married or a registered partner, your close relative should register your marriage or partnership with the Swedish Tax Agency.

http://www.migrationsverket.se/English/Private-individuals/Moving-to-someone-in-Sweden/Spouse-registered-partner-or-cohabiting-partner.html
Multitasking means screwing up several things at once.

Offline Gator

« Reply #1759 on: April 02, 2020, 09:05:21 AM »
Sky News reporter in New York saying that the predicted job losses in the USA because of lockdowns will be 12-15 %,which is akin to the great depression.

Not good.

I am not sure of the data used by the reporter.  Maybe he meant the "Great Recession," not Depression. Consider these facts about the Great Depression. 

Great Depression started in 1929
Peak rate of U.S. unemployment reached 24.9% in 1933.
Unemployment remained above 14% from 1931 to 1940, with WWII significantly lowering it. 

Great Recession started in 2008-2009
Peak rate of unemployment reached 10% in October 2009

Both the Great Depression and the Great Recession had their roots in the failure of the financial system.   Such is not the case today.  The US entered the pandemic with a robust economy and healthy financial system. 

Offline ML

« Reply #1760 on: April 02, 2020, 09:05:29 AM »
That is the worst part, I am home alone, she is home alone - her daughter is isolated in the Uni in St Pete and her mom living with a close friend and her family in a small village in Ukraine.

So we both just sit here in videochat 10-15 hours a day talking and watching each other work/cook/doing choirs or just watching movies together.. :D

Her business is closed for now so she does her part time work with the bank she works for, but that is things she only do by remote and can do from anywhere in the world..
so it kinda sucks...  :rolleyes:

Hey, think back to Soviet era cold war times.  Western people were always trying to help smuggle Eastern folks out from behind the Iron Curtain, as well as Eastern folks trying the same on their own.

Surely you can figure out a way to get your gal into your home.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline BC

« Reply #1761 on: April 02, 2020, 09:09:02 AM »
Both the Great Depression and the Great Recession had their roots in the failure of the financial system.   Such is not the case today. 

Obviously no guarantee, but let's hope it stays that way.

Offline ML

« Reply #1762 on: April 02, 2020, 09:27:04 AM »
As I asked before . . . let's keep this thread for postings related to the actual title.

Statistics and arguments should go here:

2019 - nCoV (novel coronavirus originating in Wuhan, China)

http://www.russianwomendiscussion.com/index.php?topic=24136.msg526303#msg526303

Moderators . . . can you move both threads into same forum, as someone asked above, so that both have equal access?
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline Chelseaboy

« Reply #1763 on: April 02, 2020, 09:39:07 AM »
Gator,

What was the unemployment rate in the USA before the lockdowns ?

Is it possible the reporter added that rate to the predicted 12 to 15% additional job losses to arrive at his great depression analogy ?

Online Faux Pas

• Trips: No Selection
« Reply #1764 on: April 02, 2020, 09:41:34 AM »
Gosh, I posted an arithmetical error ..  'Mea culpa' .... why do 'you lot' misspell everything ? 'math'  (?) AND  use the incorrect term for arithmetic?

Well I'd explain it to you but, I don't have the inclination nor the crayons to where you could understand it

Offline GQBlues

« Reply #1765 on: April 02, 2020, 10:03:21 AM »
As I asked before . . . let's keep this thread for postings related to the actual title....

One of the little things that I was doing, or did, before that I'm thankful for now was: In every golf bags I have, I hang one of those small hand sanitizing plastic dispenser that you find in those $1 bins at Target, CVS, etc...

There are elements in golf courses involving picking up and cleaning your golf balls, then washing and cleaning it. Even with the assistance services of caddies, the golf balls are never really 'clean'.

Every hole, I would instead dispense the sanitizer to clean both the ball, then my hands before teeing or putting out. Every round would almost always result in exhausting that small dispenser. So a month before the madness kicked in, I had just bought a jug of sanitizer and those carry pocket packages of hand wipes at Target. A habit that proved worthy so far.

http://www.migrationsverket.se/English/Private-individuals/Moving-to-someone-in-Sweden/Spouse-registered-partner-or-cohabiting-partner.html

That's awesome! I like the example the site gave about Sara and Felipe...The system cuts through the bureaucracy and made it simple for you folks.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 10:06:38 AM by GQBlues »
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.

Offline Chelseaboy

« Reply #1766 on: April 02, 2020, 10:11:23 AM »
Trench,

I don't see the point in you having a go at BC because of some altruism on his part.

I know you're not wealthy, and neither am I,but surely one of the benefits of being comparatively well-off compared to other people around you is being able to help them out financially in times of genuine need ?

BC should be applauded and not sniped at.

Offline Gator

« Reply #1767 on: April 02, 2020, 10:12:35 AM »
Gator,

What was the unemployment rate in the USA before the lockdowns ?

Is it possible the reporter added that rate to the predicted 12 to 15% additional job losses to arrive at his great depression analogy ?

Before the pandemic, US unemployment was at historic lows, approaching 3%.  Some contend this is the lowest possible rate because to reduce it further requires employing the "unemployable."   

This morning the US Labor Department reported a record 6.65 million Americans filed first-time jobless claims in its weekly report.  That was for last week.  It is worse than that today.  There are questions about the state unemployment offices having the capacity to process all claims. 

Another way to compare:  In just two weeks  10 million workers have sought unemployment benefits.  This exceeds the nearly 9 million who lost jobs from 2008 to 2010 amid the Great Recession.

Offline BillyB

« Reply #1768 on: April 02, 2020, 10:14:57 AM »
Billy,

all along you have been right about one thing:  As long as someone has an active case the virus can't be eradicated.  The other Bill is also correct, that with stringent measures we can get ahead of this bug in an effective way.  In theory, a virus can be eradicated, but yes it is a lot of work.

Let's say we do what Bill Gates recommend or even better yet, do what China did with a nationwide draconian style lockdown. Where would America be in a few months from now? Let's see where China says they're at after their lockdown. Also factor in they lie about their current situation

China allows 134 international flights into their nation per week for their own citizens to come back home. Tourism and the airline industry is hurting. Domestic flights and public transportation are probably hurting too.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/china-logs-fewer-coronavirus-infections-but-tightens-some-curbs-on-movement/ar-BB123Zwo?ocid=spartanntp

China continues to lock down some areas showing signs of a second outbreak.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/county-in-china-locks-down-amid-concerns-of-potential-second-coronavirus-wave/ar-BB122InD?ocid=spartanntp

Driving around yesterday, I'm seeing lots of people shopping for food, driving around, and walking around. I seen homeless people all over the place. One was stealing donations piled up at the thrift store since it was closed. The more I seen, the more I understood it's hard to get 100% participation from everybody and even if it were possible in the USA we'd eventually get an infected person entering from the outside. So if we shut down the nation for 10 weeks like Bill Gates recommends, it could be 2 months before we have major outbreaks again because the virus may not go away in the Summer. It only took less than two months from America's first reported case to having tens of millions of people told to stay home.

I am not sure of the data used by the reporter.  Maybe he meant the "Great Recession," not Depression. Consider these facts about the Great Depression. 

Great Depression started in 1929
Peak rate of U.S. unemployment reached 24.9% in 1933.
Unemployment remained above 14% from 1931 to 1940, with WWII significantly lowering it. 

Great Recession started in 2008-2009
Peak rate of unemployment reached 10% in October 2009

Both the Great Depression and the Great Recession had their roots in the failure of the financial system.   Such is not the case today.  The US entered the pandemic with a robust economy and healthy financial system. 

I've seen some experts say this could be worse than the Great Depression. Spanish Flu kept people indoors but WWI helped keep people working and most economies in fairly good shape. With tensions building, people out of work, and neighbors becoming weak, some nations may eventually see war as the answer in building a better economy.

Train engineer tried to ram his train into the hospital ship docked in California. He missed by two and a half football field lengths. He's a bad driver and will probably get fired after he's release from jail. When God passed out brains, he missed the boat.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/engineer-arrested-for-derailing-train-near-usns-mercy-claimed-ship-part-of-government-takeover/ar-BB122Sbm

Yesterday America had over a 1000 deaths, a daily death toll more than double that of two of America's most deadly illnesses – lung cancer and the flu.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/more-than-1000-in-us-die-in-a-single-day-from-coronavirus-doubling-the-worst-daily-death-toll-of-the-flu/ar-BB122UBy?ocid=spartanntp
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
« Reply #1769 on: April 02, 2020, 01:04:38 PM »
Actually, the English spoke what is v.similar to Welsh before successive invaders .. you might actually have learnt something today !

Yes but most of today's 'Welsh' people are actually English who came across the border in the 1800's & early 1900's when coal mining went big. In some collery towns & villages around 99 percent of the population were English having migrated across. This pattern is repeated throughout South & some of mid & north Wales, ie most of it. Only north west Wales contains what might be said to be a large proportion of original Welsh ancestry, probably. The rest just have what we have come to recognise as the Welsh accent and many of them learn Welsh even though many don't really have any traditional Welsh ancestry.

Enough tutoring of you for today then ;)
"If you make your own bread, then and only then, are you a free man unchained and alive living in pooty tang paradise, or say no and live in Incel island with all the others." - Krimster

Offline SteveInBoston

« Reply #1770 on: April 02, 2020, 01:07:34 PM »
Due to lack of business and work, our company had to shut down and furlough everyone. 

If this happened a month ago I would be with T. 

I am exploring ways to get to Ukraine.  I saw Turkish Airlines have scheduled flights starting April 17.  I will book one and hope it doesn't get cancelled.

Offline GQBlues

« Reply #1771 on: April 02, 2020, 01:13:29 PM »
Due to lack of business and work, our company had to shut down and furlough everyone. 

I am exploring ways to get to Ukraine.  I saw Turkish Airlines have scheduled flights starting April 17.  I will book one and hope it doesn't get cancelled.

Sorry to hear this, Steve.

If you do get the flight, IF, maybe best get tested first somehow?

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
« Reply #1772 on: April 02, 2020, 01:19:29 PM »
Trench thinks his building 'Trench Terrace' in a Welsh valley will qualify him to live in Ukraine and wave £ notes...

The way things are going over there I would be like a God to many of them :D

http://www.kyivpost.com/ukraine-politics/ukraine-digest-april-1-ukraine-confirms-more-infected-with-covid-19.html

So 60 percent of Ukrainians already taking a hit due to it all. That's a lot, pretty much two thirds of the country already. Many that went to Poland, etc working illegally on the tourist vise free ticket for better money will now be back in Ukraine jobless with little hope of getting any work. Similarly their lockdown will kick many more out of jobs in restaurants etc and make many businesses go bust.

The lack of western men coming is likely to have an impact too.

Ukraine is getting some loans in but I doubt it will stop the economy collapsing out there again. Ukraine was showing a little more prosperity these past couple of years I felt. Unfortunately for them it looks like they will be going back to being dirt poor again.

I'm guessing the Kherson girl I was with might have to resort to selling on all those nice dresses I bought her as the retail job she was in wasn't in one of the essential sectors.

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
« Reply #1773 on: April 02, 2020, 01:26:43 PM »

Unfortunately I would be surprised if that happens Steve. Things are only going to get worse in Ukraine. All those workers returning from Poland will likely have it as they were all penned in like sheep at the border. In general now that cases have kicked off there it's only likely to get worse. They are probably only 3 weeks behind us (the UK & the US) as we are behind Italy. Even if you got there you might have problems getting back and all sorts of other survival issues and problems.

Offline ML

« Reply #1774 on: April 02, 2020, 01:29:08 PM »

I certainly wouldn't be going to Ukraine.

They are going to get hit harder than Italy and Spain . . . and will be less able to cope than either of those two countries.

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541008
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 1860
Total: 1871

+-Recent Posts

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 01:09:03 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:51:13 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:33:48 PM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:24:44 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 11:16:08 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by ML
Today at 10:31:43 AM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 09:47:10 AM

What to do by 2tallbill
Today at 09:37:41 AM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Today at 09:18:17 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 07:00:25 AM