It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: In the Kitchen/на кухне  (Read 34541 times)

Offline Doll

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: No Selection
Re: In the Kitchen/на кухне
« Reply #50 on: February 19, 2015, 11:16:25 AM »
My family love this too. Fish soup fom catfish. My older is a  fisherman, catfish is his favorite to fish.

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #51 on: February 19, 2015, 01:14:01 PM »
Thank you, Jone.

I have to smile at the insistence that the CCCP was a melting pot, which it certainly was not. Antisemitism still runs deep in Russia, and nothing brings out a nationalist faster than to label something as Russian, if they feel that the world needs to know it is Jewish instead.  It seems at times as if Jews never lived in Russia, or certainly never contributed anything of value to the culture.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 02:38:12 PM by mendeleyev »
The Mendeleyev Journal. http://mendeleyevjournal.com Member: Congress of Russian Journalists; ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.RU (Journalist-Russia); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.UA (Journalist-Ukraine); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.KZ (Journalist-Kazakhstan); ПОРТАЛ ЖУРНАЛИСТОВ (Portal of RU-UA Journalists); Просто Журналисты ("Just Journalists").

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
« Reply #52 on: February 19, 2015, 02:27:38 PM »
Doll's Ukha dish is delicious, but not common in the West, so lets learn to make it!

First, we have a chance to learn a little more Russian language:

The Russian word for fish is рыба. I learned this word by attaching it to the name of a popular country singer, Reba McEntire. Her twangy style always struck me as somewhat "fishy" and her first name Reba, sounds almost perfectly like рыба. With no disrespect meant to the lady herself, Reba sounds fishy; therefore fish is "reba"(рыба). I am betting that you will easily remember that term.

One more term: суп (soup). This is almost the same as in English, just stressed more and with one less letter. The English term "soup" is spoken as one even syllable. Give this a good bit of stress, and make it short, not long. Sup should sound like a cross between "sue" and "pa" in one syllable, and fast. Cut off the "p" at the end and there you have it.

Ukha (Уха)

For the term Уха. think of the old Motown song "Ooh Baby, Baby" which is more of a soft "u" feel as opposed to a strong "o" sound. That "Ooh" sound is how a soft "u" (looks like Y in Cyrillic) is sounded.  There are ten paired vowels in Russian; 5 are soft and 5 are hard (stressed). Of the two "u" letters, the letter (y) is the soft "u" version of that vowel.

Next, take the second part of the word Уха and focus on the ха. That is "ha" as in the popular exclamation "ah-ha." Put it together as two short syllables, and you have "Ooh Ha," Уха.

Fish: you can use any delicate or moderately firm fillet like branzino, sea bream, salmon, trout, cod, haddock, pollock, hake, halibut, sole, flounder, etc. The only types of fish to avoid are very dense (tuna, swordfish, mahi) and brown fleshed (bluefish, mackerel).

soup Ukha
(photo: Olga Mednikova)

Ingredients
:
2 Tbsp butter
1 large yellow onion, finely diced
2 carrots
2 stalks of celery
6 cups water or stock
2-3 potatoes, peeled and diced
1 Lb skinless fish fillets
Chopped dill and or parsley for garnish
Salt and pepper
Optional: 1/3 cup dry white wine; 2 whipped eggs

If using whole fish to make the stock, watch this video first:

Method:
  • Set a large, heavy soup pot over medium-low heat. Add the butter, onions, and a generous pinch of salt. Cook stirring occasionally until the onions are translucent, but not browned, 10-15 minutes.
  • Add the wine and fish stock. Bring to a boil and season to taste with salt. Remember this is a lot of liquid, so ditch your salt shaker in favor of few good handfuls of salt. Taste after each addition.
  • Add potatoes and cook until tender when poked with a knife, 10-15 minutes.
  • Take the soup off heat, add the fish, and wait until fish is opaque most of the way through (but not all the way), about 8 minutes per inch of thickness. To test, poke it with a fork or spoon. If it breaks into pieces in the thickest part, it is done. Pink fleshed fish (salmon, steelhead trout, and arctic char) are best served on the rare side. So don't wait for them to flake.
  • Garnish with dill and/or parsley and serve.
This is sometimes called the "fishermen soup" because of all the soups prepared outside along river banks, at campsites, etc, it is one of the most common soups cooked "on the scene" in Eastern Europe. This outdoor chef added egg, and cooked his potatoes separately in the fire.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 02:34:02 PM by mendeleyev »
The Mendeleyev Journal. http://mendeleyevjournal.com Member: Congress of Russian Journalists; ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.RU (Journalist-Russia); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.UA (Journalist-Ukraine); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.KZ (Journalist-Kazakhstan); ПОРТАЛ ЖУРНАЛИСТОВ (Portal of RU-UA Journalists); Просто Журналисты ("Just Journalists").

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
« Reply #53 on: February 20, 2015, 08:45:49 PM »
We're so close to the Great Fast of Lent, that 40 day period of no animal products such as meat, fish, eggs, dairy, and no alcohol. Thus, we will soon be spending some time on vegetarian recipes common to Eastern European and Asian kitchens.

But first, it is pancake week, so lets revisit Blini.

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
« Reply #54 on: February 20, 2015, 08:50:48 PM »
Vinegret Salad (Винегрет)
(Russian cold vegetable salad with potatoes and beets)

(photo from Zina at tastykitchen.com)
(photo from Zina at tastykitchen.com)

Ingredients for Vinegret Salad:

3 medium beets (or 2 cans of beets, drained)
 3 medium potatoes
 3 medium carrots
 1/2 cup sauerkraut, drained
 3 medium pickles
 2 Tbsp Sunflower or Olive Oil
 1 Tbsp Vinegar
 1 small onion, finely chopped (about 1/2 cup

Optional: 1 green apple, chopped.

This is often named as Russia's second most popular salad. This recipe is from Natasha's Kitchen and we encourage you to visit Natasha's excellent blogsite to learn more about her approach to Russian and Ukrainian cooking.

Preparation:
In a medium pot, boil beets until they can easily be pierced with a knife, or use canned beets which don’t require any cooking.
In a separate pot, boil potatoes and carrots about 30 minutes or until a knife goes smoothly through the potatoes.
Don’t overcook the potatoes.
Drain the vegetables and refrigerate or let them stand until they cool to room temp (or cooler).
Peel the skins from the potatoes, beets and carrots, then dice pickles, beets, potatoes, carrots & finely dice onion.

Offline jone

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #55 on: February 21, 2015, 12:58:50 PM »
Mendy -

I've had the above and love it.  Reminds me of German Potato Salad which I had growing up.  Yumbo!
Kissing girls is a goodness.  It beats the hell out of card games.  - Robert Heinlein

Offline KenInUtah

• Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #56 on: February 21, 2015, 05:29:17 PM »
Here is my latest attempt at Russian cooking!

Ingredients:

4 boneless pork chops or chicken breasts
3 eggs
1/2 cup flour
4-6 cloves of garlic
stt – salt to taste
ptt – pepper to taste
dill or/and parsley
olive, vegetable, or canola oil

Otbivnie

Step 1: Slice each boneless pork chop/chicken breast into 3 slices. Some pork chops/chicken breasts are quite thick, so I manage to slice them into 4 slices.

Step 2: Tenderize each slice well on each side.

Step 3: Chop your garlic finely, or use a garlic press. Chop the parsley/dill.

Step 4: Rub the garlic and the parsley/dill into each slice. I use garlic generously, but if you are not a big fan of this spice, then you should reduce the amount or eliminate it (that is if you don’t like the spice at all). Salt and pepper each slice to your liking. Keep in mind, you can always add more salt after the meat is cooked, but you won’t be able to take the salt out if you use too much of it.

Note 1: You can start cooking the “otbivniye” as soon as you are done with the spices. However, I prefer to let the meat marinate for a couple of hours and let it absorb all the wonderful garlic and parsley/dill flavors before I start cooking it. Also, I stack the pork or chicken slices (as shown on the picture above) for marinating purposes.

Note 2: “Otbivniye” is a great dish to make if you are planning to have guests over, because you can do all the prep work (Step 1 – Step 4) the day before. Just put the stacked slices in your refrigerator, let them marinate overnight, and finish cooking “otbivniye” the next day!

Step 5: Once you are ready to pan fry the marinated slices, crack open 3 eggs into a bowl, and then beat the eggs with a fork. You can add a pinch of salt and/or pepper to the eggs.

Step 6: Pour 1/2 cup of flour onto a plate.

Step 7: Heat your frying pan. Once it’s heated, pour 2 Tsp of oil into the frying pan.

Step 8: Take one marinated slice of pork/chicken, flour it on both sides, shake off the extra flour, and then dip it into the eggs covering both sides and letting the extra egg drip back into the bowl.

Step 9: Place the meat into the frying pan, fry it 3-5 minutes on each side. You may want to fry more or less time depending on the thickness of each piece.

"Otbivniye_3"

Step 10: Use a fork or a spatula to take out the meat. Continue frying the rest of the slices until you have no more meat left. If you run out of eggs, just crack 1 more egg into the bowl. If you run out of flour, just add extra 1/4 cup of flour onto the plate. Don’t forget to add oil as needed to prevent meat from burning.

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
« Reply #57 on: February 21, 2015, 08:19:58 PM »
We can smell the aroma from here...pass the mashed potatoes, please.  :)

Offline calmissile

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #58 on: February 21, 2015, 10:06:30 PM »
We can smell the aroma from here...pass the mashed potatoes, please.  :)

Mendy,  you will get a kick out of my wife's reaction.  I happened to be browsing through this thread when she walked into the lab and saw the photos.  She had me back up and show all the photos.  Then she was saying...." Do you want that, do you want that, etc."   I guess I will be having some new dishes soon.    :)
Doug (Calmissile)

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
« Reply #59 on: February 22, 2015, 01:48:12 AM »
Doug, I get the sense that your wife is a very good chef.

Offline KenInUtah

• Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #60 on: February 22, 2015, 02:20:31 PM »
 Oh wow was this good!  I let it marinate overnight and the pork was perfect!

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
« Reply #61 on: February 26, 2015, 09:12:01 AM »
It is encouraging to see other guys take an interest in culinary matters. Sometimes I am amazed at how well other guys perform in the kitchen, especially in light of the fact that culturally such is not always the case in Eastern Europe and Asia. Many of our wives may at first be puzzled at how well we do, but I have not yet heard of a single complaint from an international wife when her husband is active in the kitchen.

What makes it equally amazing is that we live in a world that values speed and convenience over spending time in the kitchen. The concepts of take-out, home delivery, and picking up something pre prepared at the market has arrived in Russia, too, and it is still too early to judge the eventual impact. That we share an interest in cooking is thus an accomplishment to be admired.

Keep it up!

Offline BillyB

« Reply #62 on: February 26, 2015, 09:33:46 AM »
I have not yet heard of a single complaint from an international wife when her husband is active in the kitchen.

I'm not active in the kitchen and my wife doesn't want me to be but I do take my wife out about 3 times a week. Yesterday evening we were at the Brazilian steakhouse below. She's a proud Ukrainian so it was surprising for me to hear Ukrainian kitchen may not be successful here if one opened that kind of restaurant. She likes Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Mexican, Brazilian, American, and Vietnamese food better than Ukrainian even though she doesn't always admit it. I'm not a big fan of FSU food but there are enough good things in the FSU that's worth the visit. ;)

http://www.seattlegrillfromipanema.com/
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
« Reply #63 on: February 26, 2015, 11:38:17 AM »
In the Orthodox fasting calendar, Feb 27 is a day in which vegan food with oil is permitted. On Saturday, oil is to be excluded.

So, keeping those things in mind we will make a carrot salad today.

A really nice food blog called She Shimmers, has a nice feature on Russian or as the Russians call it, "Korean" salad. The author there writes:

This “Korean” carrot salad is found all over the area that is the former Soviet Union. I certainly saw it popping up here and there during my travels in Ukraine and its environs; I just never paid attention to it or cared to find out what kind of carrot salad it was. Why would I dedicate the space in my digestive tract to a carrot salad, which I could have gotten anywhere, when I could gorge on local vareniki, Baltic sprat sandwiches, and golubtsi?

A dining companion ordered a Korean salad, and I mentally rolled my eyes. Who in their right mind orders a Korean salad at a Kyrgyz restaurant? Well, the salad came, and it looked so tempting that I, in all my glorious hypocrisy, had to mooch a bite. It was a life-changing experience.

While we might not quite attribute the experience to life-changing, the salad is good. Very good.

Морковь по-Корейски (Korean carrots):

This salad has been around for a very long time; long enough for dozens of conflicting theories as to where it originated, and to how it got its name. One thing of which many food historians seem to agree: it isn't Korean.

No matter. We'll learn to pronounce the name so that you can explain to your Russian-speaking friends about the new dish that has been added to your culinary repertoire.

- Kорейски is the term for Korean in this instance. It is not that difficult a term: "ka-REE=ski."

There are a couple of things to remember that will help with these terms. The first is that only one "O" in a word can be stressed. The rest are generally assigned an "ah" sound. Thus, the Ko is not sounded as "ko" but rather as "ka."

- по simply means on, or in. The letters are p-o. By this time you are learning that the o might be sounded as an "ah," and you are correct. So, it sounds like "pah." In this case it denotes that the carrots are done in "Korean style."

- Морковь is Russian for carrots. It is fairly easy to learn: "mar-KOF."

Remember that the first syllable is not "mor" but rather it is spoken as "mar."

Then, at the end of a word, certain letters are given a counterpart, and so the B (sounds like 'veh') is not sounded as a v, but instead is pronounced as f (ф). The word ends with a "soft sign" (b) which is a letter than has no sound--instead it is there to tell you to soften the proceeding letter.

Ingredients include:
Combine the following:
 3-4 grated carrots
 1/4 cup of raisins or dried apricots or dates (cut in little pieces)
 1/4 cup of walnuts
 2 tbsp – honey
 1 clove of crushed garlic
Optional: red or green pepper grated just like the carrots

Top with a small amount of Olive or Sunflower oil.

For a hotter version add some spicy hot pepper strips.

Wow, that was easy!
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 03:58:59 PM by mendeleyev »

Offline Larry1

• Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #64 on: February 26, 2015, 11:55:15 AM »
- Морковь is Russian for carrots. It is fairly easy to learn: "mar-KOF."

Remember that the first syllable is not "mor" but rather it is spoken as "mar."

Then, at the end of a word, certain letters are given a counterpart, and so the B (sounds like 'veh') is not sounded as a v, but instead is pronounced as f (ф).

Whenever I read about this rule I remember the ABC Nightly News Anchorman David Brinkley  back in the Gorbachev era. Everyone in the news business here had been pronouncing Gorbachev's name with the last letter as a "v". One night Brinkley stopped doing so. Brinkley announced that the ending of Gorbachev's name is pronounced "F" in Russian so henceforth he was going to pronounce it that way.  And then he said something about (Politburo members) Gorbachoff, Ligachoff, and all the rest of the choffs.

Maybe it was mostly Brinkley's droll delivery that made it funny. ;D

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
« Reply #65 on: February 26, 2015, 04:20:03 PM »
 :)

Larry, I should have also mentioned that certain letters not only change at the end of a word, but anytime in a word where there is a cluster of consonants. Examples:

- водка. Good ole vodka. It is spelled водка (v-o-d-k-a) but the D (д) has a counterpart which is the letter T. Thus, the way to properly say vodka in Russian is VOT-ka.

- автобус. We ride a bus, or as the Russians say, an autobus. The second letter in that word is indeed a V (B), but it is changed to the F sound, and thus autobus becomes "af-TO-bus." The TO is almost like "toe" and not like to or two.

- футбол. Football (soccer) is spelled in the Cyrillic as f-u-t-b-o-l, but the T is converted to a D sound in this instance. Thus, we have "fud-BOL" and in this case the U is the softer version, and so it should come out more like "food-Bol."

A good food example of the O to "ah" rule is the word for milk: молоко. Only one of those O letters can be spoken as O, so in this case the word for milk sounds as "ma-la-KO."

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
« Reply #66 on: March 02, 2015, 12:19:33 PM »
Here is a salad that is "fast-friendly" and can be made during both fasting and non-fasting seasons:

Salad: Carrot "Aurora"
This is a take-off on Korean carrot salad, but with meat, corn and mayo. During fasting seasons, omit the meat and prepare on days when oil is permitted.

Ingredients:
 Carrots 3 pcs.
 Sausage, chicken or ham cut into strips.
 canned corn 1 b.
 bundle of green onions
 mayonnaise

Preparation:
 1.Grate carrots, just like Korean salad. Cut sausage into fine strips. Onions washed and minced.
 2. In a salad bowl
3. Cut peppers (green, red, etc) into thin strips
4. Add a tablespoon of apple or red wine vinegar.
5. Stir in mayo, then lightly a little sunflower or olive oil.
Stir and serve.

Offline ML

« Reply #67 on: March 02, 2015, 02:05:00 PM »

Larry, I should have also mentioned that certain letters not only change at the end of a word, but anytime in a word where there is a cluster of consonants. Examples:

- водка. Good ole vodka. It is spelled водка (v-o-d-k-a) but the D (д) has a counterpart which is the letter T. Thus, the way to properly say vodka in Russian is VOT-ka.

- автобус. We ride a bus, or as the Russians say, an autobus. The second letter in that word is indeed a V (B), but it is changed to the F sound, and thus autobus becomes "af-TO-bus." The TO is almost like "toe" and not like to or two.

- футбол. Football (soccer) is spelled in the Cyrillic as f-u-t-b-o-l, but the T is converted to a D sound in this instance. Thus, we have "fud-BOL" and in this case the U is the softer version, and so it should come out more like "food-Bol."

A good food example of the O to "ah" rule is the word for milk: молоко. Only one of those O letters can be spoken as O, so in this case the word for milk sounds as "ma-la-KO."

What a crock!!

Russians are always bragging that (unlike English) their words are pronounced exactly as they are spelled.

Therefore, I don't ever want to hear any more complaints about through.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline SANDRO43

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #68 on: March 02, 2015, 03:55:40 PM »
D is a velar plosive consonant, in many languages these have become palatal, i.e. the place of articulation has moved slightly forward in the mouth, as in Germanic languages (Grimm's Law or First Sound Shift: B-D-G became P-T-K).
A similar forward shift, this time from a velar to a palatal fricative. 

In both cases, this development is thought to have occurred because it requires a smaller articulation effort, i.e. is due to accumulated speakers' laziness ;D.

Are you sure? T->D runs contrary to the two above cases ::).
Milan's "Duomo"

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
« Reply #69 on: March 03, 2015, 01:45:45 AM »
Without converting the Kitchen feature totally over to language...   :D

Are you sure? T->D runs contrary to the two above cases

Voiced Consonants and their counterparts:

б to п
B
to ф
г to к
д to т
ж to ш
з
to с

Offline msmobyone

• patriotism is the last vestige of fools, but hey
« Reply #70 on: March 03, 2015, 05:21:04 AM »
Hey, Mendy!

Great to see you're educating us ))

My very best regards,

Moby
Please excuse the Curmudgeon in my posts ..he will be cured by being reunited with his loved one ;)

Offline SANDRO43

« Reply #71 on: March 03, 2015, 07:45:38 AM »
д to т
Aha, thus футбол is unlikely to be pronounced as "fud-BOL" ;).
Milan's "Duomo"

Offline ghost of moon goddess

• Empty cans make the most noise :)
  • Trips: No Selection
« Reply #72 on: March 03, 2015, 09:11:03 AM »
Aha, thus футбол is unlikely to be pronounced as "fud-BOL" ;).

Sandro, Mendy should have mentioned that voiceless consonants (п ф к т ш с)  are pronounced as their voiced counterparts (б в г д ж з)  when they are followed by voiced consonants

In the word 'футбол' the voiceless 'т' is followed by the voiced 'б',  hence 'футбол' is pronounced as 'фудбол'  ;D
If you want to keep your expressions convergent, never allow them a single degree of freedom.

Offline SANDRO43

« Reply #73 on: March 03, 2015, 09:21:22 AM »
Thank you GoMG, that makes it phonetically clearer :D.
Milan's "Duomo"

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
« Reply #74 on: March 03, 2015, 12:26:25 PM »
Also, thanks to Moon Goddess!  :clapping: Your explanation made up for my clumsy approach.

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541004
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 12
Guests: 1886
Total: 1898

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 11:16:08 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by ML
Today at 10:31:43 AM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 09:47:10 AM

What to do by 2tallbill
Today at 09:37:41 AM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Today at 09:18:17 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 07:00:25 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Brillynt
Today at 06:16:36 AM

Yesterday at 09:20:42 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:12:54 PM

Yesterday at 09:02:12 PM