It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Hand held GPS  (Read 1488 times)

Offline eich

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: > 10
Hand held GPS
« on: February 05, 2019, 04:30:23 AM »
I’ve always preferred extensive walking whenever I am in an unfamiliar city as I can see things that I would ordinarily miss riding in a bus or car. And walking always relaxes me.
So, come spring and summer I plan on doing more of the same but only this time, instead of maps, I would like to have a standalone (w/o smart phone ) handheld GPS for city streets in Europe-eastern Europe.      Unfortunately on Google I find only devices intended for hiking, hunting, and golfing as well as for driving. Can anyone here recommend a model intended for walking city streets?
Life is just an empty room.

Offline BdHvA

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: No Selection
Re: Hand held GPS
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2019, 06:33:55 AM »
Go to a West Marine, there will be a number there. You are looking for a unit used by One Design sailors.

On the other side the lat/long on a Apple phone will be more than adequate.
Experierence is not what happens to you. It is what you do with what happens to you. A. Huxley

Offline BdHvA

• Trips: No Selection
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2019, 07:37:39 AM »
It should be noted hiking and walking are about the same thing.

Bear in mind many GPS devices have a built in VHF ( wo way radio) and I suspect some of those bandwidths are reserved.
Experierence is not what happens to you. It is what you do with what happens to you. A. Huxley

Online krimster2

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2019, 10:40:38 AM »
why the no phone?
go to any of the european tourist  cities now and half the people are walking with their smart phones held in front of them
this is the new normal
I have an Android Wrist Watch computer that can do GPS and email and 100 other things
go on aliexpress.com and buy 1 they are useful...get a sim at the airport and you're good to go
fits on your freaking wrist and can do skype with translation, has a 2.0 MP camera + bluetooth
costs like $150 or less
generally, I wouldn't recommend a "single function" digital device anymore

Offline JayH

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2019, 11:18:32 PM »
I’ve always preferred extensive walking whenever I am in an unfamiliar city as I can see things that I would ordinarily miss riding in a bus or car. And walking always relaxes me.
So, come spring and summer I plan on doing more of the same but only this time, instead of maps, I would like to have a standalone (w/o smart phone ) handheld GPS for city streets in Europe-eastern Europe.      Unfortunately on Google I find only devices intended for hiking, hunting, and golfing as well as for driving. Can anyone here recommend a model intended for walking city streets?

I use a  dedicated GPS extensively in preference to phone.
Garmin Nuvi has a walk mode as well as normal driving . It is smaller/thinner than  and slips into pocket easily.
The phones have improved immensely over the last few years  and should be more than capable to do what you outline. I much prefer the dedicated GPS for driving .In Ukraine -- you can get specific Ukraine maps that are very up to date and cover areas that others have not in the past. A general EU map that covers a lot of countries is available from Garmin ( & others)  and is adequate for much of Ukraine( particularly in the cities).
At times -- I have used 2 X phone systems and 2 X GPS systems in trying to find a specific location !  Stopping and asking proved the winner in that contest! 
I would check the auto GPS and check the different modes -- my GPS's are now superseded -- but great units  Garmin Nuvi 3760 & 65 I think. They were  to of the range a few years ago -- should be possible to buy at a fraction of original cost and then update maps --either free through Garmin or modest cost sd card.
SLAVA UKRAYINI  ! HEROYAM SLAVA!!!!
Слава Украине! Слава героям слава!Слава Україні! Слава героям!
 translated as: Glory to Ukraine! Glory to the heroes!!!  is a Ukrainian greeting slogan being used now all over Ukraine to signify support for a free independent Ukraine

Offline msmob

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2019, 03:37:16 AM »
The main benefit of most hand held nav devices is battery life and ability to use battery replacements that are either  rechargeables /  throwaway  and the device's ruggedness...

If it's being used for walking in a street / driving *I* see no advantage - especially as the accuracy of maps is likely to be greater on the phone

So, it will come down to reception - when surrounded by buildings

Most better smart phones have GPS / GLONASS capability - which improves accuracy.

As for driving / walking ( not hiking) - I use a 7" tablet in preference to a dedicated driving /walking 'navigator'... 

Unlike JayH - I'm actually involved in choosing mapping software and  spec'ing GPS/GLONASS modules for one of my company's gadgets ...  so members can decide if I'm 'biased' ;)

Online krimster2

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2019, 08:31:04 AM »
JayH is an aborigine who can navigate by the stars and by the direction that the dingo poo poo is pointing (plus he collects it and dries it to use as cooking fuel in the bush!)
he speaks excellent English (once you get used to the thick accent) and is a very entertaining and delightful fellow...
« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 08:43:19 AM by krimster2 »

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541007
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 1895
Total: 1906

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:51:13 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:33:48 PM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:24:44 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 11:16:08 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by ML
Today at 10:31:43 AM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 09:47:10 AM

What to do by 2tallbill
Today at 09:37:41 AM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Today at 09:18:17 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 07:00:25 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Brillynt
Today at 06:16:36 AM