It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: DNA Testing- Heads Up...Something to Know  (Read 4440 times)

Offline tfcrew

• North Texas... Married 21 years
  • Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 4 - 10
DNA Testing- Heads Up...Something to Know
« on: April 05, 2019, 08:46:17 PM »
Quote from: UnitedNut on March 02, 2010, 10:20:20 PM  This legislation was purposely misrepresented by its backers as a mirror of the existing Federal law IMBRA, (which is why it passed in the House) however it is much more restrictive and will require any Maryland man to be fingerprinted and submit the fingerprints to the website for a criminal background check before they can even view the photos and general information of the singles posted on the site or even write a letter.
Violent criminals have already been fingerprinted and had their DNA taken. Why should every man be treated as if they're violent?
DNA testing has been so far advanced that it has replaced fingerprints as a prime source of ID.
Results are available in minutes instead of months. Not only that, but I've read that DNA samples charts that are publicly submitted to these Genealogy/Ancestry labs are being resubmitted to the FBI database. It doesn't sound legal or ethical but heads up ..it is happening.
http://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/04/business/family-tree-dna-fbi.html
~There is no one more blind than those who refuse to see and none more deaf as those who will not listen~
~Think about the intelligence of the average person and then realize that half of the people are even more stupid than that~

Offline Grumpy

• Spouse's Country: Moldova
  • Trips: None (yet)
Re: DNA Testing- Heads Up...Something to Know
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2019, 09:25:16 PM »
Sadly some of the testing is not even accurate.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/dna-ancestry-kits-twins-marketplace-1.4980976

The test may be shared more than you think.
http://www.cbc.ca/1.3018086

But hey, it's only data and we will monetize it any way we can.
Good women are not cheap
Cheap women are not good
(but they can be a lot of fun)

Offline Grumpy

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2020, 08:59:10 PM »
 "Companies such as 23andMe have proliferated over the past decade, feeding people’s hunger to know who and where they come from, and what diseases their genes might predispose them to. Over that time, it has gradually become clear that the main source of revenue for at least some of these companies comes from selling the data on to third parties.
Besides pharmaceutical companies, others who might want such access include insurance companies, individuals involved in paternity or inheritance disputes, and law enforcement agencies."

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/feb/16/dna-hugely-valuable-health-tech-privacy

It is clear that the USA needs GDPR type legislation, the sooner-the better.
Good women are not cheap
Cheap women are not good

Offline ML

• Trips: > 10
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2020, 09:12:14 PM »
Wife kept wanting to do this, so I saw a good chance when Ancestor.com had $59 special.

But I didn't register her under her real name and used a throw away email address.

She got some surprising results.

I don't need to do for myself as I have done a fairly extensive genealogy search over many years . . . and 2 of my relatives did do the tests which confirmed what my genealogy search had established.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline Grumpy

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2020, 09:31:36 PM »
 I know my family line back to 1814. Anything before that will require a trip to Prussia and England.
Good women are not cheap
Cheap women are not good

Offline BillyB

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2020, 09:40:07 PM »

Be careful. You guys may get arrested or get your relatives arrested after submitting your DNA to one of those companies.  Golden State killer was caught this way after a relative of his submitted their DNA on one of those sites. He was a former cop burglarizing over 100 homes, killing and raping dozens of people. He would enter a home, tie the husband up and put a stack of dishes on his back and said if he heard the dishes fall, he'd kill the wife. Then he'd take the wife into another room and rape her. He ended up getting fired from the police department after he was caught stealing an item from a hardware store.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/police-used-genealogy-websites-nab-golden-state-killer-n869446
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline Gator

• Spouse's Country: Russia
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2020, 08:39:20 AM »

She got some surprising results.

She is from Ukraine - near the ancient trade and migration routes between Europe and the East. 

How distinctive were her Slavic roots?   I ask because I was considering a test of my wife's DNA, yet I heard the Slavic data are not disaggregated.  My wife's Cossack bloodlines (from Ukraine) could yield interesting results. 

I don't need to do for myself as I have done a fairly extensive genealogy search over many years . . . and 2 of my relatives did do the tests which confirmed what my genealogy search had established.

I thought the same for my case, thinking it would be mostly English and Welsh with some German.   Surprise, test showed almost as much Norwegian as German.  Damn Vikings spreading their "seed" during their raids?  Not certain because some Vikings settled the English coast and stayed.     

Offline GQBlues

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2020, 08:40:35 AM »

Be careful.
You guys may get arrested or get your relatives arrested after submitting your DNA to one of those companies.  Golden State killer was caught this way after a relative of his submitted their DNA on one of those sites. He was a former cop burglarizing over 100 homes, killing and raping dozens of people. He would enter a home, tie the husband up and put a stack of dishes on his back and said if he heard the dishes fall, he'd kill the wife. Then he'd take the wife into another room and rape her. He ended up getting fired from the police department after he was caught stealing an item from a hardware store.

In this day and age, methinks that's a bit archaic BillyB. Clinically speaking, I tend to believe any time you submit for blood sampling in support of your physical examination that laboratories amass a good resource for DNA database.

Besides, methinks having your DNA available for any investigation is a sure fire way of absolving you of the possibility being wrongly charged of a crime you didn't commit.
Quote from: msmob
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.
3. N95 mask will choke you dead after 30 min. of use.

Offline jone

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2020, 08:55:39 AM »
In this day and age, methinks that's a bit archaic BillyB. Clinically speaking, I tend to believe any time you submit for blood sampling in support of your physical examination that laboratories amass a good resource for DNA database.

Besides, methinks having your DNA available for any investigation is a sure fire way of absolving you of the possibility being wrongly charged of a crime you didn't commit.

What if you did commit it?
Kissing girls is a goodness.  It beats the hell out of card games.  - Robert Heinlein

Offline GQBlues

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2020, 09:18:22 AM »
What if you did commit it?

It's another way for me to make sure I walk the fine line.
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.

Offline ML

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2020, 09:26:15 AM »
She is from Ukraine - near the ancient trade and migration routes between Europe and the East. 

How distinctive were her Slavic roots?   I ask because I was considering a test of my wife's DNA, yet I heard the Slavic data are not disaggregated.  My wife's Cossack bloodlines (from Ukraine) could yield interesting results. 

The surprise was she had 15% or so Baltic DNA when she has always claimed 100% Ukrainian.

Two possible explanations.

1) Lithuania was once a powerful Kingdom with power down through Ukraine and elsewhere.

2) Her great grandmother married (or did she) a Soviet Army soldier on leave during war and a child was produced.  They were only together a few weeks and then he left and was reportedly killed in action.  The great grandmother would never tell anything about this man.  Now suspicion is that he was from the Baltic area.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline jone

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2020, 10:44:09 AM »
I once asked a gal that I was dating what her family did during WWII to survive.   She was a little coy about telling me.   Then one day it came out that her grandfather was high up in the NKVD during the war and was the political officer for the area.   I was tempted to ask a lot of questions but decided that discretion was the better part of valor.
Kissing girls is a goodness.  It beats the hell out of card games.  - Robert Heinlein

Offline Gator

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2020, 12:36:41 PM »
I once asked a gal that I was dating what her family did during WWII to survive.   She was a little coy about telling me.   Then one day it came out that her grandfather was high up in the NKVD during the war and was the political officer for the area.   I was tempted to ask a lot of questions but decided that discretion was the better part of valor.

I dated a UW with a high education (maybe a PhD) in math.  During the cold war era, she worked for the Soviet Space Agency developing a mathematical model of ICBM  flight trajectory (necessary in targeting).

A safe example of "Sleeping with the enemy." 

Offline Boethius

• Trips: No Selection
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2020, 01:48:46 PM »
I dated a UW with a high education (maybe a PhD) in math.  During the cold war era, she worked for the Soviet Space Agency developing a mathematical model of ICBM  flight trajectory (necessary in targeting).

A safe example of "Sleeping with the enemy."

Which goes back to my point again, about how all these "tested, tried and true" communists abandoned all their "principles" on the collapse.

Here's a small "scandal" in Canada on local DNA testing.  Note, 23andme was accurate when tested -

http://newsinteractives.cbc.ca/longform/dna-ancestry-test

Google was used to retrieve the (previously read) link.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 01:51:55 PM by Boethius »
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline Gator

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2020, 02:30:03 PM »

Here's a small "scandal" in Canada on local DNA testing.  Note, 23andme was accurate when tested -

http://newsinteractives.cbc.ca/longform/dna-ancestry-test

Interesting.  How did it conclude? 

Offline BillyB

« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2020, 09:10:50 PM »
methinks having your DNA available for any investigation is a sure fire way of absolving you of the possibility being wrongly charged of a crime you didn't commit.

People submitting their DNA probably reduces crime too. When I joined the Army in the early 90's, they started to take blood from every soldier for their DNA. I remember that till this day and because I'm more likely to get caught, it significantly reduced the amount of crime I committed.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline Grumpy

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2020, 09:27:08 PM »
People submitting their DNA probably reduces crime too. When I joined the Army in the early 90's, they started to take blood from every soldier for their DNA. I remember that till this day and because I'm more likely to get caught, it significantly reduced the amount of crime I committed.

I suspect the army's main interest was identifying future remains.
Good women are not cheap
Cheap women are not good

Offline Gator

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2020, 09:50:24 PM »
....it significantly reduced the amount of crime I committed.

:)

Offline ML

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2020, 07:55:23 AM »
I remember that till this day and because I'm more likely to get caught, it significantly reduced the amount of crime I committed.

Or increased your devotion to watching several CSI type shows to learn how to clean up all the evidence.

Offline fathertime

« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2020, 08:16:34 AM »
It's another way for me to make sure I walk the fine line.
I'm happy there are so many new ways to catch all sorts of criminals.  I do think the likelihood of getting caught has decreased crime generally.  Cameras, DNA, video, all seem to be making the US a safer place. 

Fathertime! 
I just happened to be browsing about the internet....

Offline ML

« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2020, 09:53:33 AM »
I do think the likelihood of getting caught has decreased crime generally. 

I don't know the statistics; but I doubt this statement.

Most people who commit crimes are pretty stupid, and are certainly not doing a risk/reward analysis before they commit a crime.

Plus career criminals get started fairly young.
They are below legal age when they get started, so they learn quickly to game the system knowing they will not receive any substantial punishment.
Then when they move into the legal age category, they are already set in their ways and just continue on.

In one previous neighborhood I lived in; there was a very decent grandparent couple living there.  But one of their daughters was a drug addict and had 4 children with 4 different men.
Her children often spent considerable time with the grandparents and stole many items from several neighbors.
Police told they could basically do nothing to the children.
Their only resort would be to arrest the parents if an individual child was caught and reported by 4 or more neighbors.
The children had learned from social workers that all would be forgiven if they would simply say "I am sorry" to their victims.  And the children did follow that advice.
Thankfully nothing was stolen from me; and the grandparents eventually sold their house and moved into a retirement facility.
That solved the problem . . . at least in my neighborhood.

Offline GQBlues

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2020, 11:22:36 AM »
I'm happy there are so many new ways to catch all sorts of criminals.  I do think the likelihood of getting caught has decreased crime generally.  Cameras, DNA, video, all seem to be making the US a safer place. 

Fathertime!

I'd like to think that, FT, but I have my doubts. Not especially in NY with their new 'Bail Reform Law', LMAO.

Besides, body cams, surveillance cams, etc aren't deterring criminals from doing their deeds. Technically, any citizen with a smart phone is a walking videographer.

The one great thing to come out of DNA technology is the exoneration and freeing of jailed individuals wrongly convicted of the crime.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2020, 11:27:09 AM by GQBlues »

Offline Boethius

« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2020, 04:22:23 AM »
Interesting.  How did it conclude?

It hasn't yet. 

To get a "status Indian" card can carry great benefits, but only for first nations living on reserves.  Most of the time, it is the bands who decide who is part of that band, but the identification is government issued.  So, this was a scam intended to circumvent that band process.  Bands don't want to give those cards out to non members.

Status Indians living on reserves don't pay tax.  If they don't live on a reserve, or are closely connected with the reserve, they still are required to pay tax.

This is still being investigaged re the issuance of status Indian cards.  But really, those cards shouldn't have been issued in any event, as no band claimed those individuals as "theirs".

This post was composed without the aid of google.
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline Gator

« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2020, 07:48:55 AM »
Boethius,

Thanks for the update. 

Political correctness is so important in the US that when you mentioned "Indian" a few days ago,  I immediately thought of citizens of India.  It puzzled me for a moment why "status Indian" would be so important in Canada.   

In the US what used to be called  "Cowboys and Indians" should be "Cowboys and Native Americans."  Doesn't roll off the tongue the same.

In Canada how do you distinguish between Indians and Indians?  Or do you use the term "East Indians."  That is not a precise delineation because you also have "West Indians." 

Being woke is not so easy.   ;)

Offline Boethius

« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2020, 12:23:50 PM »
The Indian Act was first passed in 1876.  We don't call First Nations people "Indians" any more, but the Act remains unchanged in name.  The Act governs how money is tranferred to bands, and who is an "Indian". 

Most people want the Act abolished, but it's part of the way money gets transferred to reserves.  I think it will be abolished at some point, as reserves are moving to a self governing model.

Older Canadians call people from India "Indians".  But younger people call them "South Asians".  My kids call their friends "brown people", and that's how their friends refer to themselves.

This post was composed without the aid of google.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 12:36:30 PM by Boethius »

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 540892
Total Topics: 20846
Most Online Today: 1401
Most Online Ever: 12701