It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Engagement Rings  (Read 15591 times)

Offline viking

• Spouse's Country: Belarus
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Engagement Rings
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2006, 11:44:47 AM »
Ladies,

Your opinion?
Tom Hanks in Castaway: You never know what the tide may bring in.
Viking: But you still need to walk along the beach to find it.

Offline Jet

• Married 11/03 Divorced 9/09 Married 6/12
  • Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: None (yet)
Engagement Rings
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2006, 11:55:27 AM »
Quote from: LatinSwede
I'm worried about Ukrainski Militsya making me pay a redicuolous "tax" or "confiscate" them. 

LatinSwede, remember the fact that they DON'T run you through a metal detector when you get OFF the plane, only before you board, and the TSA really couldn't care less if you have a ring in your pocket when you fly abroad. I haven't heard a single story yet where the AM was strip-searched beforre being allowed to enter Ukraine or Russia :shock:.
Every action in company ought to be done with some sign of respect to those that are present. ~ Geo. Washington

Offline Daknack

Engagement Rings
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2006, 12:09:10 PM »
You could always "Prision Smuggle" it in :shock::shock::shock:

Offline BC

Engagement Rings
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2006, 12:24:32 PM »
If you wear a necklace just add a 'trinket'... with buttoned shirt of course.

Offline Jet

• Married 11/03 Divorced 9/09 Married 6/12
  • Trips: None (yet)
Engagement Rings
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2006, 05:16:34 PM »
Quote from: Daknack
You could always "Prision Smuggle" it in :shock::shock::shock:

Once you see some of the passport control agents over there, you'll be looking forward to a cavity search :toocool:
Every action in company ought to be done with some sign of respect to those that are present. ~ Geo. Washington

Offline Oosik

Engagement Rings
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2006, 03:52:08 PM »
JB,

Do you have a favorite online site for loose stones? I'd imagine one could get badly screwed by choosing one foolishly.

Offline jb

• Trips: > 10
Engagement Rings
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2006, 04:05:59 PM »
Actually I have several.

SimplySapphires is one.  I have bought several stones from this man and had a lot of phone conversations with him, I know him to be honest.  http://www.simplysapphires.com/
Another company that I've had good luck with is Thai Gems.  They offer a few more, a greater selection, and are truthful in what they advertise.  A good place to pick up an odd bargain here and there.
http://www.thaigem.com/
For diamonds I tend to deal directly with the Argyle people in Austrailia, these are not the pure white diamonds of South Africa, but the slightly colored stones which I think are much prettier and a whole lot cheaper,
http://www.dkr.com.au/general/Kimberley-Fine-Diamonds/argyle-diamonds-perth.html

I hope that helps you some.

P.S.  My wife now has a lot of custom made jewerly because I have been able to get loose stones relatively cheap and have them mounted in both yellow or white gold.  Up until now the mountings have been pretty inexpensive, but with gold prices being upwards of $700 per oz, I think those days are behind us.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2006, 04:13:00 PM by jb »

Offline LatinSwede

Re: Engagement Rings
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2006, 05:50:08 PM »
How about getting a dollar in quarters, and go to the vending machines in the Wal-Mart foyer.  When we say "I do", she'll have a pretty pink Barbie ring, while I proudly sport the red Spiderman ring.  Isnt' that upscale?  :D

Offline solomon

• First, kill all the lawyers
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2006, 06:56:44 PM »
jp

I know diamonds. A 3 ct anything is going to attract a lot of attention. Ivana Trump might wear one, but she is in a different league. I think a really nice quality stone, on the order of an 'average' size, (very common these days is .5 to .7ct)) would be more than adequate. Even in this range you are looking at $3K or so.

Target for $200. My first run I spent almost 4 grand and it blew up. She still has the ring. Most any ring for them is a prize.
Solomon

Offline TomT

« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2006, 04:44:06 AM »
The engaged guys should not assume that all Russian women accept the absurd Western notion that extravagant spending is a sign of love. Some Russian women consider such spending to be a sign of stupidity and financial irresponsibility. It will be a good idea to check your fiancee's opinion on this issue before rushing out and buying a diamond. (Assuming, of course, that you care about her opinion.)

Offline swindoom

• Opted-Out
« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2006, 06:23:39 AM »
Some Russian women consider such spending to be a sign of stupidity and financial irresponsibility.

When I spoke with my wife about engagement rings before we married she said very similar words, why spend so much money on something that is in reality meaningless. She also cannot understand why women continue to wear their engagment rings after they are married, I could not think of a good reason.

Offline jb

« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2006, 07:18:16 AM »
I guess a cheap dime store ring will do, or even a cigar band for that matter,,, but it hardly speaks of the love you are suppose to be expressing when you give a betrothal ring.  If, in 5 years time, it gets relegated to the unused jewelry box in favor of the wedding band, so be it, it served it's purpose.

My wife still wears her diamond engagement ring on her right hand, sort of a balance thingy, if you know what I mean.  I think most women will continue to treasure a good piece of jewelry if given in the proper spirit by someone she loves.  Just my HO.

Offline PeeWee

« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2006, 07:23:07 AM »
The engaged guys should not assume that all Russian women accept the absurd Western notion that extravagant spending is a sign of love. Some Russian women consider such spending to be a sign of stupidity and financial irresponsibility. It will be a good idea to check your fiancee's opinion on this issue before rushing out and buying a diamond. (Assuming, of course, that you care about her opinion.)

This is what I was thinking. If her mindset has her happiness level targeted at a simple gold wedding band then that is want it will be. No sence in introducing to her a potential bad habit of wanting expensive jewelry. That was your idea, remember, and it is a costly notion. Find out what she is happy with and then move on. I'd rather spend the unneeded jewelry money on getting her a better car, if she loves shoes then more shoes, or a nice vactation to a nearby KOA campground. Something like that.

Peewee

Offline jb

« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2006, 07:24:33 AM »
Peewee,

It's no wonder to me that you are still single.

Offline KenC

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: No Selection
« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2006, 07:35:58 AM »
Ah, but this too can change with time! Upon marrying Lena, I bought her a beautiful wedding band with inlaid square diamonds. Beautiful and yet much more practical than one big rock jutting out. A few year later, I bought a duplicate piece only this time in white gold as she explained that yellow gold is out of fashion. Now as we approach our 7th anniversary, there is more and more talk about that big rock!  ::)
KenC
You are a den of vipers and thieves-Andrew Jackson on banks
Banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies-Thomas Jefferson

Offline mischief

« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2006, 07:42:29 AM »
I think most women will continue to treasure a good piece of jewelry if given in the proper spirit by someone she loves.  Just my HO.

Couldn't agree more...

Offline BC

« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2006, 07:49:28 AM »
Before the church wedding we're going to send our 'ZAGS standart' for recycling into newer custom made models.  A goldsmith in her home town does great work.  Will still go on the right hands though.

Offline catzenmouse

• Victory Park - Omsk
  • Trips: No Selection
« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2006, 08:19:14 AM »
Peewee,

It's no wonder to me that you are still single.

Naw jb, he's just holding out for that next Miss Universe like the ex.
"Marriage is that relation between man and woman in which the independence is equal, the dependence mutual, and the obligation reciprocal."
-- Louis K. Anspacher

Offline RacerX

« Reply #43 on: May 18, 2006, 09:03:19 AM »
Must be the company I travel in, but all of the RW I have known had or expected a diamond ring - this is definitely one of those YMMV kinda of situations.

There are a number of great semi-wholesale diamond merchants online where you will at least get your money’s worth if not a bargain. I personally like WhiteFlash.com but others such as Blue Nile, etc are well respected.  Nice thing is you can browse thousand of loose stones on-line since everyone uses the same lists [check out Pricescope.com]

As regard to how much to spend, there seems to be two rules: 2X  your monthly pay or the better one: consider what social circles you/she will be in and target the size of stone to match what the other wives have.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2006, 09:05:21 AM by RacerX »

Offline Bruce

« Reply #44 on: May 18, 2006, 09:44:16 AM »
It seems like we go through this topic every year or so.  So, I'll give my experience one more time.  I messed up big time twice, until I got it right the third time.  Luckily for me, someone had advised me on RWG to not give your fiance an expensive ring until she makes it Stateside - and I actually listened.  So, I ended up buying three rings in Russia with the total dollar amount not more than $300.  When my wife made it here I changed her ring from the $75 or so ring I bought for her in Tver to an appropriate engagement ring.  For the guy who is really sure you can give her the more expensive ring in the FSU, but if you have any doubt, give her a less expensive ring and change it when you get here when the timing is right for the two of you. 

In my opinion, you have the beautiful large stone engagement ring on her index finger first, followed by the diamond wedding band.  Everything should be set in platinum.  That makes for the best look, though some would just call it an ostentacious diamond show.  Diamond stud ear rings in platinum along with the white gold / diamond watch plus diamond platinum or white gold necklace / pendant will complete your thoughtful show of love as well as deplete your bank account.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2006, 09:45:50 AM by Bruce »
"A word is dead when it is said, some say.  I say it just begins to live that day."  Emily Dickinson

Offline BC

« Reply #45 on: May 18, 2006, 10:10:45 AM »
Yeah.. yearly recap time I guess..

It was my MIL that insisted on a ring before she would 'allow' me to ask the families permission to marry their daughter.

We scurried around town and bought the best we could find.. IIRC around 200 bucks (whew).

"Ma" had seen this western tradition on TV and figured this western man had better get off his butt and do things right!

;D

Offline Charles

« Reply #46 on: May 18, 2006, 11:06:35 AM »
While I agree with the sentiments expressed above that a diamond ring is not required, it is most appreciated by the RW.   I would avoid the 3ct and keep it in the 1.0 range.   My wife likes hers - a little over 1.5 ct.   At first she thought it was outlandish, now after 5 years she likes to compare brilliance, cut, etc. with other ladies' rings.

Offline PeeWee

« Reply #47 on: May 18, 2006, 03:05:49 PM »
Naw jb, he's just holding out for that next Miss Universe like the ex.

She is a great mother to our son but as a wife she was too tempremental for me. She had always the attitude that she should be the queen of some country. But I did make it 10 years. I'm heading into a different direction. That was the been there done that in my life.

Peewee

Offline PeeWee

« Reply #48 on: May 18, 2006, 03:08:54 PM »
Must be the company I travel in, but all of the RW I have known had or expected a diamond ring - this is definitely one of those YMMV kinda of situations.

There are a number of great semi-wholesale diamond merchants online where you will at least get your money’s worth if not a bargain. I personally like WhiteFlash.com but others such as Blue Nile, etc are well respected.  Nice thing is you can browse thousand of loose stones on-line since everyone uses the same lists [check out Pricescope.com]

As regard to how much to spend, there seems to be two rules: 2X  your monthly pay or the better one: consider what social circles you/she will be in and target the size of stone to match what the other wives have.
[/quot

Which two months? My income fluxuates wildly from month to month so did I pick the slow to months or the busy two months? Who came up with that 2X anyway? Maybe you just look at her and figure out what it's going to take to make her happy and then double that amount.

Peewee

Offline RacerX

« Reply #49 on: May 18, 2006, 04:07:54 PM »

Which two months? My income fluxuates wildly from month to month so did I pick the slow to months or the busy two months? Who came up with that 2X anyway? Maybe you just look at her and figure out what it's going to take to make her happy and then double that amount.

Peewee

that's a double entendre if I've ever heard one   ;D

That 2x thing is something the jewelers came up with, or was is the guy who invented Mother's Day??

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541013
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 1899
Total: 1910

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Today at 06:28:48 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by 2tallbill
Today at 04:48:07 PM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 04:37:18 PM

If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Today at 04:17:08 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 02:48:08 PM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 01:09:03 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:51:13 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:33:48 PM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:24:44 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 11:16:08 AM