It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: News for those travelling to Russia during the Confederation/World Cup 2017/18  (Read 6752 times)

Offline msmob

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
When travelling to Russia, one normally has to register your Visa - says where you are staying - within 3 days - if staying at a hotel - this is done by the hotel - but if you are staying in an apt, with friends or family THEY are responsible to register you.

Imagine our surprise, today when we were told at the Post Office, "Because Sochi is a Host City, you should have registered within 1 day at the Federal Migration Service - there will be a fine "

This covers Moscow, Piter Kazan and Sochi - as far as I can ascertain - the FMS lady sent us packing to a Police Stn - who sent us to another  - who had NO idea what the fine could be for and had to get the Federal law code 'infringed' and amount.

Tomorrow, we have to go back to the FMS office - proving we paid the 2000 Rub fine ( £26 GBP/ 32 USD / 30 Euro) - the kind Policeman allowed us to send a Whatsapp image of proof of payment and promised to make sure the FMS knew it was paid

This law applies for two weeks either side of the tournaments

So, why didn't immigration / passport control hand out a warning leaflet or why wasn't there warning for citizens acting as hosts ?

I have made  Fifa's coordinator at Sochi aware of the problems this is causing and if the flipping Police don't know...

Madness

Naturally, we were met with the usual shoulder shrugging and buck passing - but at least other's will be forewarned

This applies to folks travelling to the Host cities using the normal visa regimes - NOT those with FIFA fan IDs

« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 12:00:11 PM by msmob »

Offline msmob

Just had a link from a friend who is trying to resolve this situation
http://www.bfm.ru/news/357545

Foreigners and tour operators problems because of the Confederations Cup?

Offline msmob

Copy of letter sent to Russian authorities

Dear Sir / Madam - I wish to relay the chaos some temporary legislation - brought in for the FIFA Confederation Cup 2017 and World Cup 2018 is causing. I am the holder of a 2 month business visa and  my fiancee was fined, today - for not registering me within 24 hours ?!   My question is how would she know of any change and why was I not informed on entering Russia at passport control - a leaflet, perhaps ?   We always go to the Post Office in Sochi to register were sent to an FMS office - who promptly fined my fiancee.   Whilst we thoroughly understand the need for security - it seems this law was brought in in such a fashion that even the Police had to call the FMS to ask what law we had broken ? In addition this article suggests that future visa applications could be affected http://www.bfm.ru/news/357545

It is most unfair to be treated in this way and the fining and any possible visa issues - when travellers and private hosts cannot be expected to know - let alone the chaos in FMS offices trying to cope - should be addressed. It does not leave a good impression. Please note that I have always praised your out-sourced Visa centres and processing of registration, up to now.

Offline msmob

Copy of letter to FIFA:

Dear Sir / Madam

I regularly visit Russia for business / pleasure  and entered on Sunday morning ( 18th)

It seems due to Sochi being a host city - and without any warning to private / business visitors - the visa registration process for foreigners has been changed

My fiancee was fined 2000 Roubles for not registering me within 24 hours - normally 3 days and I future visa applications being refused

How could FIFA allow this to happen ? Surely such changes should have been notified by handing out notices at passport control on entry. I'm sure you liaised with the Russian Federal Migration Services

Normally we go to the Post Offic and the process takes 20 minutes - but this has been removed during your tournaments and the FMS offices  are in chaos trying to cope

Frankly I am disgusted and as an N.Ireland supporting daring to dream of finishing second in the group - why should my future wife be subjected to fines because of  rule change ?

We do not appreciate being Guinea Pigs and strongly suggest you ask the  Russian authorities to get their act together

I am writing to the UK Russian Consulate  - as there should be warnings for travellers and locals alike

We hope you will take our complaint seriously

Below - an article describing the chaos - in Russian

Offline LAman

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: 4 - 10
When travelling to Russia, one normally has to register your Visa - says where you are staying - within 3 days - if staying at a hotel - this is done by the hotel - but if you are staying in an apt, with friends or family THEY are responsible to register you.

Imagine our surprise, today when we were told at the Post Office, "Because Sochi is a Host City, you should have registered within 1 day at the Federal Migration Service - there will be a fine "

This covers Moscow, Piter Kazan and Sochi - as far as I can ascertain - the FMS lady sent us packing to a Police Stn - who sent us to another  - who had NO idea what the fine could be for and had to get the Federal law code 'infringed' and amount.

Tomorrow, we have to go back to the FMS office - proving we paid the 2000 Rub fine ( £26 GBP/ 32 USD / 30 Euro) - the kind Policeman allowed us to send a Whatsapp image of proof of payment and promised to make sure the FMS knew it was paid

This law applies for two weeks either side of the tournaments

So, why didn't immigration / passport control hand out a warning leaflet or why wasn't there warning for citizens acting as hosts ?

I have made  Fifa's coordinator at Sochi aware of the problems this is causing and if the flipping Police don't know...

Madness

Naturally, we were met with the usual shoulder shrugging and buck passing - but at least other's will be forewarned

This applies to folks travelling to the Host cities using the normal visa regimes - NOT those with FIFA fan IDs

Msmob, mind I correct you on a few things, found many errors on your part.

1. You DON"T register your visa, you register your migration card

2. Registering used to be 3 days, it has been 7 days for a couple years. And I might add, it is 7 working (business) days.

3. You were SURPRISED you had to register within 24 hours?? I've known this for several months and even told people I knew to register 1st day.
Just for some background. June 1st - July 12th are the dates for registering your FIFA ticket/Fan ID within 1 day. From what I understand, it is also for any foreign traveler in Russia on a regular visa.
Now msmob, you do have the cities right for the matches!! )) Yes- the fine is ~2000rub plus several hours- 2 days to take care of problem. ((

4. The law does not apply for 2 weeks before and after tournament, as I stated before June 1- July 12.
 Since we are at it , this same law applies to the 2018 tournament , May 25- July 25, so heads up for anyone traveling to Russia next summer!!!

5. Handing out any leaflets???? Well, if you keep informed on anything that might affect you, that's a start!!! I am always on tripadvisor reading up on anything Russia, Ukraine, Belarus, even they have a World Cup forum. It is amazing what happens when one does research and keeps informed.

6. BTW-  this new law affects the  whole country, not just host cities!!!

Sorry to hear msmob about the troubles you went though, I understand the feeling when you get blindsided!!!
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift

Offline msmob

LaMan

When did you post what you knew on here?!

I posted it to save others from hassle

Offline msmob

Update:

1/ The fines are from 2k - 7k Roubles

2/ The special rules apply to the HOST cities only ...

"From 1 June to 12 July 2017, all foreign nationals (even those staying for under 7 working days) will have to register within 24 hours of arriving in one of the four Confederations Cup cities – Moscow, St Petersburg, Kazan and Sochi. This registration is normally done by your hotel or guest house, but it’s your responsibility to check that it’s been done. You should book your accommodation in advance and check that your hotel has registered your stay"

Source: UK Foreign and Commonwealth Office  http://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/russia/entry-requirements

So, if travelling abroad - even if you go to that country a lot  - I learnt it is easy for one to fall foul of temporary immigration changes - and to CHECK for such changes before EVERY trip

Offline LAman

Update:

1/ The fines are from 2k - 7k Roubles

2/ The special rules apply to the HOST cities only ...

"From 1 June to 12 July 2017, all foreign nationals (even those staying for under 7 working days) will have to register within 24 hours of arriving in one of the four Confederations Cup cities – Moscow, St Petersburg, Kazan and Sochi. This registration is normally done by your hotel or guest house, but it’s your responsibility to check that it’s been done. You should book your accommodation in advance and check that your hotel has registered your stay"

Source: UK Foreign and Commonwealth Office  http://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/russia/entry-requirements

So, if travelling abroad - even if you go to that country a lot  - I learnt it is easy for one to fall foul of temporary immigration changes - and to CHECK for such changes before EVERY trip

msmob, you are correct about #2. If landing in another city(intl), the 7 day rule applies. The minute you visit any of 4 cities you mention, the 24 hour rule applies.

Offline msmob

LAman, I am correct about #1,  too

I'm still wondering why you kept your  knowledge of tbe changes a 'secret'.....I,  for one, would have been grateful.

Offline LAman

LAman, I am correct about #1,  too

I'm still wondering why you kept your  knowledge of tbe changes a 'secret'.....I,  for one, would have been grateful.

Not disputing #1, msmob. I did read about a women that paid the 2000 rub. Money wasn't the problem with her, it was the time involved filing forms trying to resolve the issue.

Sorry I didn't let you know msmob, maybe I thought you spend so much time in Russia you would have read up or run into someone that heard about this. I only heard about new law when the Fan ID's were going out late March. Clarification came as time got closer to June.

Offline msmob

Not disputing #1, msmob. I did read about a women that paid the 2000 rub. Money wasn't the problem with her, it was the time involved filing forms trying to resolve the issue.

quite... time and frustration - plus any effect it might have on future visa applications

Sorry I didn't let you know msmob, maybe I thought you spend so much time in Russia you would have read up or run into someone that heard about this. I only heard about new law when the Fan ID's were going out late March. Clarification came as time got closer to June.

Not just ME !! 

I'm not the only person going to Moscow or Piter ...Sochi and Kazan - far less westerners go there.

Ironically, it is the frequency of my visits - knowledge of how it is ( or normally is ) - that tripped me up

Hope we both learnt something

Share and don't be complacent :)

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541017
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2385
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 10
Guests: 2244
Total: 2254

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:57:04 PM

Re: Plumber earnings by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 09:37:55 PM

Plumber earnings by ML
Yesterday at 07:49:26 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 07:23:34 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 06:28:48 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by 2tallbill
Yesterday at 04:48:07 PM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Yesterday at 04:37:18 PM

If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Yesterday at 04:17:08 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 02:48:08 PM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Yesterday at 01:09:03 PM