It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Investing $50K in you or a dream RW?  (Read 44966 times)

Offline papakota

• Banned Member
  • Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: Resident
Re: Investing $50K in you or a dream RW?
« Reply #175 on: July 28, 2016, 11:59:54 AM »
I'm not a Brit and I don't know if Poles qualify for welfare in Britain. But, logic does dictate that the tax paying Brits fund the British welfare system.
Your logic is wrong. It's those who legally work and pay taxes fund the British welfare system. If Poles didn't qualify then they wouldn't be getting any welfare, would they? So they do qualify if they get it. That's the right logic.
P.S. As a matter of fact, I've been funding the Russian welfare system for over 2 years now and I'm not a citizen here yet. So what?
I can't claim welfare, 'cos I'm an immigrant here. Poles in the UK are EU citizens. Maybe that's different with them. I don't know... Maybe EU citizens who are also immigrants in another EU member state can claim welfare.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 12:07:10 PM by papakota »

Online Faux Pas

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: No Selection
« Reply #176 on: July 28, 2016, 03:11:59 PM »
Your logic is wrong. It's those who legally work and pay taxes fund the British welfare system. If Poles didn't qualify then they wouldn't be getting any welfare, would they? So they do qualify if they get it. That's the right logic.
P.S. As a matter of fact, I've been funding the Russian welfare system for over 2 years now and I'm not a citizen here yet. So what?
I can't claim welfare, 'cos I'm an immigrant here. Poles in the UK are EU citizens. Maybe that's different with them. I don't know... Maybe EU citizens who are also immigrants in another EU member state can claim welfare.

I don't see my logic as wrong. England just voted to exit the EU. Are you implying that the EU funds the British welfare system?

Offline Boethius

« Reply #177 on: July 28, 2016, 05:35:48 PM »

No, that's not how the EU works.  That is why David Cameron went to Brussels to attempt to negotiate restrictions on when EU citizens could start receiving benefits, and removing the right for East Europeans, mostly Poles, from receiving child benefits for children who had never set foot in the U.K.  Those negotiations failed.

EU citizens can enter any EU country for 3 months, no questions asked.  If they find work in an EU country, they are immediately eligible for benefits, whether they work a day or a year.
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline Boethius

« Reply #178 on: July 28, 2016, 05:41:51 PM »

Secondly, USA and UK are not all that different as you pretend.

They are very different.  Even Canada and the U.S. which are culturally closer than are the UK and the U.S., and where most of the department stores/restaurants, etc., are the same, are very different.  Even different regions of the USA are different.
Moreover, I reside in Europe now (unless you claim that Moscow is in Africa)

Moscow is in Europe, but its culture has been affected by the horrors of the Soviet period. 

I married Russian women two times (the second one is my current wife) and I was married also twice to US women and I really know well about the subject.

Being married four times suggests you know almost nothing about women.
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline Anotherkiwi

• Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #179 on: July 28, 2016, 06:08:52 PM »

Practice makes perfect?  :couple:

Offline papakota

• Banned Member
« Reply #180 on: July 29, 2016, 02:49:57 AM »
I don't see my logic as wrong. England just voted to exit the EU. Are you implying that the EU funds the British welfare system?
No, EU doesn't fund it. British taxpayers do and they include your Polish gastarbeiters too.

Offline papakota

• Banned Member
« Reply #181 on: July 29, 2016, 02:57:11 AM »
No, that's not how the EU works.  That is why David Cameron went to Brussels to attempt to negotiate restrictions on when EU citizens could start receiving benefits, and removing the right for East Europeans, mostly Poles, from receiving child benefits for children who had never set foot in the U.K.  Those negotiations failed.

EU citizens can enter any EU country for 3 months, no questions asked.  If they find work in an EU country, they are immediately eligible for benefits, whether they work a day or a year.
Because Poles in the UK are NOT immigrants like me in Russia right now. They are EU CITIZENS. That's the difference! Poles don't apply for British type of a Green Card etc. Poles share the same EU citizenship with UK nationals. And if Brits have an issue with that, there's an article 50. Though I don't see them running to trigger it. And that's because UK probably has a lot to gain that comes with EU membership. And now they don't wanna lose it. So they've oversmarted themselves in a way.

Offline papakota

• Banned Member
« Reply #182 on: July 29, 2016, 03:13:33 AM »
They are very different.  Even Canada and the U.S. which are culturally closer than are the UK and the U.S., and where most of the department stores/restaurants, etc., are the same, are very different.  Even different regions of the USA are different.

Moscow is in Europe, but its culture has been affected by the horrors of the Soviet period. 

A word "different" is vague. But I'm sure UK and US are pretty similar when it comes to income levels and immigration practices in MARRIAGE based immigration cases (I'm talking about non-EU nationals, not your Poles and Irish in the UK).

I don't see how Russian classical culture was affected by Soviet regime. It was all made in pre-Soviet times.
Modern day Russia is a mixture of a tsar imperial Russia and a Soviet Russia. 50/50, I'd say. People here mostly enjoy all the benefits of a free world. Otherwise, I wouldn't have spent here a single week, let alone 3 years, trust me on that! And if you compare Russia to, say Hungary (EU member state), then the difference is even smaller. Well, Hungarians are ethnic Russians pretty much, since they migrated from Ural region a few centuries ago. Russia is also an Orthodox country like Bulgaria (again, EU member state). Russian language is a Slavic European language, similar to those that are being used by EU member states' citizens. Political regime is very different and that's about it. Well, not too long ago in Eastern Bloc countries also was very different in that sense, even in GDR (DDR). Doesn't prevent Frau Merkel from being a Kanzlerin.

As per my marriages... So what, if someone had 4 jobs in his lifetime, would that mean he's been a bad employee his whole life? It's true that I didn't know anything about women, even a decade ago. But I know now. Let's say I've learned my lessons.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 03:24:54 AM by papakota »

Offline Boethius

« Reply #183 on: July 29, 2016, 03:53:45 AM »
Because Poles in the UK are NOT immigrants like me in Russia right now. They are EU CITIZENS. That's the difference! Poles don't apply for British type of a Green Card etc. Poles share the same EU citizenship with UK nationals. And if Brits have an issue with that, there's an article 50. Though I don't see them running to trigger it. And that's because UK probably has a lot to gain that comes with EU membership. And now they don't wanna lose it. So they've oversmarted themselves in a way.

No, that is inaccurate.

Before Brexit (and until it is implemented), a Pole could enter the UK for three months with no visa requirements.  During those 3 months, that Pole would have no entitlements to any UK programmes.  The EU citizenship just entitles the Pole to travel to the UK.  He does not have the same rights as a UK citizen.

After 3 months, a Pole (or any other EU citizen), to stay in the UK, that Pole must be working, or looking for work with a genuine chance of being hired, or be able to prove they have enough money that they will not be a burden to the British taxpayer.  If any of these conditions are not met, the Pole can be expelled.  Once the Pole is working and can prove he/she is "habitually resident" in the UK, then he/she is entitled to benefits, as are his/her family members, even if they are not present in the UK.

EU citizens in the UK were always entitled to emergency health services, and vice versa.

UK taxpayers fund all services in the UK.  German taxpayers fund all services in Germany.  French taxpayers fund all services in France.  And so on.  There are contributions made to Brussels for various programmes, with the UK and Germany being the largest contributors.  These funds go back to those countries, as well as to others.  It was not really a huge amount to the UK, although it was portrayed as such by the Brexit campaign.  The reason it was not huge is that a large part of those funds made their way back to the UK.  For example, Cornwall received EU funds to protect its fishing industry.  Those funds may not be replaced when Brexit is implemented.

Offline papakota

• Banned Member
« Reply #184 on: July 29, 2016, 05:00:44 AM »
What you said did not contradict what I'd written. I don't pretend to be an expert in EU matters. But those aren't really relevant to this discussion, since Russian women are not from EU member state.

Online Faux Pas

« Reply #185 on: July 29, 2016, 05:52:06 AM »
No, EU doesn't fund it. British taxpayers do and they include your Polish gastarbeiters too.

First off, no need to feel hostile or threatened here brah, I'm only asking questions. But I already did know the British welfare system was paid 100% by British tax payers. Do you have a percentage of how many of those are "Polish gastarbeiters". I can't imagine it would be that impressive as a number comparatively speaking. Sure it would suck to have to pay into a system and not be able to draw on it based on nationality (if that is indeed the case). The Polish gastarbeiters have options, go elsewhere

Offline papakota

• Banned Member
« Reply #186 on: July 29, 2016, 09:02:23 AM »
First off, no need to feel hostile or threatened here brah, I'm only asking questions. But I already did know the British welfare system was paid 100% by British tax payers. Do you have a percentage of how many of those are "Polish gastarbeiters". I can't imagine it would be that impressive as a number comparatively speaking. Sure it would suck to have to pay into a system and not be able to draw on it based on nationality (if that is indeed the case). The Polish gastarbeiters have options, go elsewhere
No, it doesn't work that way. There's such a thing called A LAW. If a person is legally employed and pays taxes he's entitled to get his benefits from the government. According to such an interesting logic of yours, tomorrow in the UK another group of people that pays most of the taxes can say something similar. Okay, we pay most of the taxes and the benefit money goes to some JimBob. I wonder what a British JimBob would say to that? Would he go elsewhere? I doubt. Polish gasters are EU citizens and they get what's theirs. So in the end, it's not that they have to go elsewhere, but UK has to go elsewhere and that's exactly the answer David Cameron got in Brussels. Also if Polish newcomers live long enough in the UK, they probably can apply for a citizenship, I suppose?
Frankly speaking, I can't see an issue. If working Poles naturalize in the UK, UK would be getting useful citizens. What's bad about that? Like I said 10 times already, I only see a short-sighted nationalism here from my opponents in this thread. And I don't feel hostility from you.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 09:10:04 AM by papakota »

Offline Boethius

« Reply #187 on: July 29, 2016, 03:53:56 PM »
A word "different" is vague. But I'm sure UK and US are pretty similar when it comes to income levels and immigration practices in MARRIAGE based immigration cases (I'm talking about non-EU nationals, not your Poles and Irish in the UK).

US incomes are about a quarter higher, but I don't know how much of that is due to income inequality in the U.S.

It is far more time consuming to emigrate to the UK as a spouse, and there is no fiancee visa.
I don't see how Russian classical culture was affected by Soviet regime. It was all made in pre-Soviet times.

Yes, but it no longer exists.

Modern day Russia is a mixture of a tsar imperial Russia and a Soviet Russia. 50/50, I'd say. People here mostly enjoy all the benefits of a free world.

I read this to my husband, who has just returned from time in both Ukraine and Russia.  He asked if you are an idiot or born in the Soviet Union.  He pointed out that virtually no one in Russia today knows what life was like in Imperial Russia, that virtually all the carriers of that culture were either executed or escaped to exile.  He said that Soviet notions of Imperial Russian life come from what?  The books of "progressive" writers (as so described by the Bolsheviks) who the Bolsheviks claimed would have supported the Revolution?  When I suggested people could read about life in Imperial Russia, he retorted "Don't tell me fairy tales.  Their bookshelves are filled with the same bubble gum as is on the shelves here, and it's easy to manipulate them, as their populations are so obscure."

Well, Hungarians are ethnic Russians pretty much, since they migrated from Ural region a few centuries ago.

Actually, no, Hungarians are not ethnic Russians.  They left the Volga region about a century before Slavs arrived there.  Hungarians are related to those groups speaking Finno-Ugric languages. 

Sviatoslav sacked an already critically weakened Khazar Empire in the Volga in the 10th century.  It was after that the princes of Kiev Rus' moved east, and began settling the lands that eventually became Russia.  This is where the language and culture of modern day Russia came from, why Russian fairy tales often refer to Kiev' Rus, why Pecherska Lavra is one of the holiest sites in Russian Orthodoxy, and why nationalistic Russians still wish to retake Kyiv.

Political regime is very different and that's about it. Well, not too long ago in Eastern Bloc countries also was very different in that sense, even in GDR (DDR). Doesn't prevent Frau Merkel from being a Kanzlerin.

No other country in Eastern or Central Europe was as destroyed by communism as was the USSR.

After the failed coup, as my husband was getting ready to leave the USSR, a workmate who had been jailed for nothing (as was common) told my husband, "You will see.  All of the Eastern bloc will recover, but we will be mired in corruption and economic troubles."  He partly blamed the fact that every meter of soil in Russia and Ukraine is drenched in blood, but he also looked at the history of corruption in its past, particularly in the Soviet period.

As per my marriages... So what, if someone had 4 jobs in his lifetime, would that mean he's been a bad employee his whole life? It's true that I didn't know anything about women, even a decade ago. But I know now. Let's say I've learned my lessons.

Congratulations.  I wish you the best in the future.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 04:24:14 PM by Boethius »

Offline papakota

• Banned Member
« Reply #188 on: July 29, 2016, 04:37:19 PM »
Boethius,

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”   Albert Einstein
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 04:50:08 PM by papakota »

Offline Boethius

« Reply #189 on: August 07, 2016, 05:35:12 PM »
Yes, your assertion was pretty stupid. >:D

To the topic.  I know I married, like a gazillion years ago, but my outlay was:

1.  A one way plane ticket to Canada. That was more expensive then than now.  There was no cost for the Canadian paperwork at the time, I think now, it's a few hundred dollars.
2.  A new wardrobe.  That was about $900 in today's dollars - winter coat, boots, socks, a couple pair of jeans, a few sweaters and shirts.
3.  ESL classes.  The better half read and wrote English well, he just needed more practice in speaking.  Total cost in today's dollars - $300.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 01:08:37 AM by Boethius »

Offline Jumper

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #190 on: August 09, 2016, 08:02:06 AM »

1.  A one way plane ticket to Canada. That was more expensive then than now.  There was no cost for the Canadian paperwork at the time, I think now, it's a few hundred dollars.
2.  A new wardrobe.  That was about $900 in today's dollars - winter coat, boots, socks, a couple pair of jeans, a few sweaters and shirts.
3.  ESL classes.  The better half read and wrote English well, he just needed more practice in speaking.  Total cost in today's dollars - $300.

So you went to a third world economy and got a bargain!

Sorry beo, had to !
:)

Offline Jumper

« Reply #191 on: August 11, 2016, 09:58:22 AM »
 Shoot, I thought i'd at last get a chuckle , or berated at the comparison :)

Now i'm I going to  have to stoop to the price of the coat?
You should have gotten a more expensive one to pull that kind of man!
 Greedy westerner alert!
 :devil:

Offline Boethius

« Reply #192 on: August 11, 2016, 07:11:44 PM »
I did get a chuckle out of it, Jumper.  :D

LOL, yes, it wasn't $700.  But, it was the second winter coat I purchased for him. :P

Offline JayH

« Reply #193 on: August 11, 2016, 07:54:13 PM »

LOL, yes, it wasn't $700.  But, it was the second winter coat I purchased for him. :P

Yeah-- buying a coat can go a long way !!

( so I have been told !!) ;D
SLAVA UKRAYINI  ! HEROYAM SLAVA!!!!
Слава Украине! Слава героям слава!Слава Україні! Слава героям!
 translated as: Glory to Ukraine! Glory to the heroes!!!  is a Ukrainian greeting slogan being used now all over Ukraine to signify support for a free independent Ukraine

Offline Jumper

« Reply #194 on: August 12, 2016, 09:16:38 AM »

Ut oh, he got two coats out of you!  Are you sure he wasn't a pro dater? 
 :ROFL:

Glad you took it in the right light.
 I was up in Ontario recently, beautiful area.

Offline BC

• Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #195 on: August 13, 2016, 12:35:50 AM »
Ahh comeon.... how many of us FSU partner seekers did not dream of marrying a doctor or lawyer to bring home and then kick back on the couch....  :devil:

Sure.. spend $50K for a dream RW or RM.. just don't expect monetary ROI and whatever you do don't borrow money to do it.

Offline Boethius

« Reply #196 on: August 13, 2016, 08:24:28 AM »
Ut oh, he got two coats out of you!  Are you sure he wasn't a pro dater? 

LOL.  They weren't anywhere near $700. :P :P

He actually brought the first coat I bought him when he came, but I deemed it too ratty to continue to wear.

This winter, I purchased him a Canada Goose jacket (no fur, though) and said it's expensive (well over $700!), and he balked at the price,  I told him it's probably the last winter coat he'll buy, so he may as well buy a good one.  He was sort of non plussed by that, and now tells me he can't wear it, as he has to preserve it to his death.

I was up in Ontario recently, beautiful area.

Southern Ontario?  Niagara Falls is great.  I love Niagara on the Lake, Georgian Bay, and the Muskokas.  I've been through a lot of Ontario, we've even driven home from there once, with the kids.

Offline Jumper

« Reply #197 on: August 13, 2016, 10:40:52 AM »
He actually brought the first coat I bought him when he came, but I deemed it too ratty to continue to wear.

So you are indeed a FSUW through and through.  ;)

and yes, I would react the same way about my *last* coat!! LOL

I  actually made a trip a basically round  Lake Huron.
Up through Sault st marie, across the Trans Canada to north bay, then down towards Toronto, and back thru michigan. :)

I've gone around lake michigan a few times , and along superiors southern coastline, and plan a trip around superior,  then lake ontario, erie :)
I've ridden off road on Drummond Island and would like to do a trip to Manitoulin Island someday as well.

So many places, so little time.

Offline papakota

• Banned Member
« Reply #198 on: August 14, 2016, 08:11:55 AM »

You just have an unfair advantage over me to be able to speak freely, that's all. I don't want to jeopardize my Russian immigration process by saying something online. That does not mean, I'm out of arguments. That's first.
Secondly, no one says that it can't be done cheap. It depends. But usually it costs a lot of money. You know how much money it costs for my spouse here to support me up to my Russian passport point? Around $20K. And here the average monthly salary is about $600. You do the math proportionally how much it's gonna cost in a place where an average salary is $4000. And Russian is my mother tongue and mentality is pretty close to a local one.

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 540998
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 10
Guests: 1971
Total: 1981

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Brillynt
Today at 06:16:36 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:20:42 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:12:54 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:02:12 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 08:45:42 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 07:59:27 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 07:04:53 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 06:59:45 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 06:57:42 PM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 06:36:52 PM