It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Savchenko released and back in Ukraine  (Read 14097 times)

Offline Anotherkiwi

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: 1 - 3
Re: Savchenko released and back in Ukraine
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2016, 09:01:18 PM »
Professional translators don't work for free.

Many professionals (including me) volunteer some of their time freely.  For example, plenty of lawyers do pro bono work.

Euromaidan Press is a labour of love for certain (mostly) diaspora Ukrainians.  They are translating Ukrainian press articles into English in their free time so that a wider audience is informed about events in Ukraine.

That I wasn't aware of - I thought that it was mainly Ukraine-based.  Thank you.

I was referring to posters here.  I suspect most did understand it in context.

Which is at odds with what you wrote earlier:

It was clear to everyone else in the context.

How many times have people posted here that, for FSUW, there are no shades of grey?  It's not just them - for me, "most" does not equal "all," in any context.

Offline Boethius

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: No Selection
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2016, 09:37:32 PM »
I am writing on a forum for entertainment.  I am not here to write with the precision of a thesis.

The comments to the article do not reflect your view.

As for translators volunteering, you live in a first world country.  You are not hustling to earn every penny in order to survive.  Most Ukrainians don't have that luxury, so it is absurd to make such a comparison.  However, as this apparently is something you feel strongly about, may I suggest you contact the volunteer translator directly and advise her that her translation skills require refinement?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 10:23:54 PM by Boethius »
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline The Natural

• Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2016, 08:42:50 AM »
A monkey with a grenade. If she is the best this country has grown...  ::)

The only comment with sense in this thread......

Offline Boethius

« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2016, 11:02:49 AM »
No, the only comments of no value on this thread are yours and whynotme's.
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline cc3

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2016, 05:40:59 PM »
No, the only comments of no value on this thread are yours and whynotme's.

+1000!!!

Offline Anotherkiwi

• Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2016, 06:18:13 PM »
I am writing on a forum for entertainment.  I am not here to write with the precision of a thesis.

Perhaps not, but, as a lawyer, you DO normally write precisely - and chide others who do not.

The comments to the article do not reflect your view.

That doesn't change the fact that my view is consistent with how the translation was written.  I don't have time to go into deep philosophical discussions with my inner self as to what may, or may not have been, intended by the writer.  How about we just agree to differ?  It's not as if either view is going to change the world.

As for translators volunteering, you live in a first world country.  You are not hustling to earn every penny in order to survive.  Most Ukrainians don't have that luxury, so it is absurd to make such a comparison.

While I agree with you about the luxury of choice in a first world country, you wrote above that Euromaidan Press is:

... a labour of love for certain (mostly) diaspora Ukrainians.

Presumably members of that diaspora are in first world countries as well? 

However, as this apparently is something you feel strongly about, may I suggest you contact the volunteer translator directly and advise her that her translation skills require refinement?

I don't feel THAT strongly about it - my original observation was simply:

Then it should have been translated accordingly.  The author should surely have realised that Euromaidan Press is read outside Ukraine.

For "author" in that last sentence, read "translator" - especially if the translator herself lives outside Ukraine.  As I said, it's simply an observation - not a prelude to World War III.

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2016, 02:30:12 AM »

The only comment with sense in this thread......

Natural and WhyNot, please do not refer to your wives as monkeys. I might believe that they are, but you should not.

Truth is, the two of you offend the monkeys.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 02:36:16 AM by mendeleyev »
The Mendeleyev Journal. http://mendeleyevjournal.com Member: Congress of Russian Journalists; ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.RU (Journalist-Russia); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.UA (Journalist-Ukraine); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.KZ (Journalist-Kazakhstan); ПОРТАЛ ЖУРНАЛИСТОВ (Portal of RU-UA Journalists); Просто Журналисты ("Just Journalists").

Offline Boethius

« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2016, 02:25:12 PM »
Perhaps not, but, as a lawyer, you DO normally write precisely - and chide others who do not.

Please link to the posts where I have chided others who do not write precisely.  I may disagree with what they post, but I don't, as a rule, suggest others should express their ideas differently.

Yes, I am a lawyer.  When I am paid $500 per hour to write precisely here, I'll do so.

Offline fathertime

• Trips: > 10
« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2016, 06:05:32 PM »
Natural and WhyNot, please do not refer to your wives as monkeys. I might believe that they are, but you should not.

Truth is, the two of you offend the monkeys.

They didn't refer to their wives as monkeys, but you just did. How about if people start making references to your wife, is that ok with you?  Aside from trying to be offensive, I don't get why you brought up their wives in a political conversation. 

Fathertime!   
I just happened to be browsing about the internet....

Offline whynotme

« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2016, 06:57:03 PM »

They didn't refer to their wives as monkeys, but you just did. How about if people start making references to your wife, is that ok with you?  Aside from trying to be offensive, I don't get why you brought up their wives in a political conversation. 

Fathertime!

Both our comments (my and natural) were deleted by mods. The truth is, я ЗАМУЖЕМ, and he is just ignorant so called "journalist". Hard for me to be offended  :D
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 10:18:21 PM by whynotme »

Offline fathertime

« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2016, 07:14:53 PM »
Both our comments 9my and natural) were deleted by mods. The truth is, я ЗАМУЖЕМ, and he is just ignorant so called "journalist". Hard for me to be offended  :D

I don't know about the ignorance part, as he has his own opinion on matters...but it was completely classless for him to bring up your wives and refer to them as monkeys, and say that you made that reference...It is just his effort to deter you from stating your own opinions.   His comment about your wives will be spun and defended by some here...I'm curious to see how the spin-masters try! 

Fathertime!
I just happened to be browsing about the internet....

Offline whynotme

« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2016, 10:25:26 PM »

I don't know about the ignorance part, as he has his own opinion on matters...but it was completely classless for him to bring up your wives and refer to them as monkeys, and say that you made that reference...It is just his effort to deter you from stating your own opinions.   His comment about your wives will be spun and defended by some here...I'm curious to see how the spin-masters try! 

Fathertime!

I'm a Russian woman married American, so his comment about my "wife" looks pretty silly, but demonstrates perfectly the quality of his "journalist" work.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 10:29:55 PM by AnonMod »

Offline whynotme

« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2016, 11:44:56 AM »
Because you blocked my personal message option I'd like to get an explanation in public why you decided to leave absolutely offensive post of mendellev and delete my.

Offline AnonMod

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2016, 11:59:36 AM »
Your PM's are not blocked. 

This account does not accept PM's, as is noted at the bottom of this account.  If you have an issue, hit the report to moderator button.
This account does NOT accept PM's. If you need to contact the RWD Staff, please use the 'Report to moderator' link.

Offline The Natural

« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2016, 02:28:58 PM »
Because you blocked my personal message option I'd like to get an explanation in public why you decided to leave absolutely offensive post of mendellev and delete my.

Because in the west nowadays, being pro-Russia is offensive and in fighting those folks normal decency is aborted. Propagandists Call themselves journalists when they in reality are to be viewed as Foreign agents and banned from Russia for life.

Offline ML

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2016, 08:53:30 PM »
Propagandists Call themselves journalists when they in reality are to be viewed as Foreign agents and banned from Russia for life.

For those who are not aware or have forgotten, I will remind that for many years here Mendeleyev was a strong supporter of Russian actions in many areas and spoke against American actions in those same areas.

And he was taken to task by me in some public and private messages for not being loyal to America.  But he still persisted in supporting Russian actions and criticizing American actions.  I don't even remember the situations for sure, but I think it had to do with Syria before the rise of ISIS.  Mendy and others can correct me on this.

It was only when Russia began illegal actions in Ukraine that Mendy started seeing the light about Russia (my words) and as an honest reporter . . . he reported the truth.

Mendy is quite the opposite of a propagandist and would be a valuable addition to the news scene in USA were he to return here.  He is one of the few who 'tells it like it is,' even when it's unpopular.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2016, 01:43:49 AM »
To the old man whose clock is off: Given that two members openly offended an innocent female by calling her a monkey, it was an act of gentlemanly kindness that I reminded them not refer to their own wives as monkeys. Perhaps you should take an English class. Saying that someone might think of another as a monkey is not the same as calling them one, especially in context of admonishing them not to do so.
The Mendeleyev Journal. http://mendeleyevjournal.com Member: Congress of Russian Journalists; ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.RU (Journalist-Russia); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.UA (Journalist-Ukraine); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.KZ (Journalist-Kazakhstan); ПОРТАЛ ЖУРНАЛИСТОВ (Portal of RU-UA Journalists); Просто Журналисты ("Just Journalists").

Offline whynotme

« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2016, 01:56:17 AM »
To the old man whose clock is off: Given that two members openly offended an innocent female by calling her a monkey, it was an act of gentlemanly kindness that I reminded them not refer to their own wives as monkeys. Perhaps you should take an English class. Saying that someone might think of another as a monkey is not the same as calling them one, especially in context of admonishing them not to do so.

Еще раз, для тех, кто в танке. Я не лесбиянка. You don't want to apologize because I'm a woman also?  a rhetorical question - of course, not).
Perhaps you should pay attention on details when you are scribbling your posts. As for an innocent female savchenko, it is very questionable.

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2016, 02:00:49 AM »
Thank you, ML. My position remains that Putin, or any other Russian leaders, has the right to different in foreign policy from Washington. Especially in places like Libya and Syria where the Obummer and Clintonista team have worked overtime to create a clusterfrok in the Middle East.

That being said, I didn't change my views on Russia: Russia changed how it deals with other nations, specifically via the "Russkie Mir" doctrine. Perhaps my most vocal criticisms began with the invasion of Georgia in 2008.

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2016, 02:02:43 AM »
Еще раз, для тех, кто в танке. Я не лесбиянка. You don't want to apologize because I'm a woman also?  a rhetorical question - of course, not).
Perhaps you should pay attention on details when you are scribbling your posts. As for an innocent female savchenko, it is very questionable.

I know that you are a female. As I didn't call you a monkey, nor did I call your wife a monkey, over what should I apologize?

As to Savchenko not being guilty, I am amazed at the blindness of some of our countrymen. She was captured in a war zone inside Ukraine, and shown on Russian television broadcasts by Russian reporters who reported that she was in Eastern Ukraine. Despite the fact that Russia does not honour extradition of Russian prisoners, she was spirited across the border while a prisoner and then very stupidly charged with entering the Russian Federation without proper documents.

Those are facts, not distortions or propaganda--RUSSIAN television reports are sometimes ahead of the Kremlin's attempt to revise events.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 02:18:44 AM by mendeleyev »

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
« Reply #45 on: June 01, 2016, 02:46:59 AM »
To the Natural: As someone who has been assigned to, traveled with, and reported on some of the leading figures including Misters Putin, Medvedev, and Federation Council president Valentina Matviyenko, neither am I a stranger to or unknown to Russian authorities.

If there is anything they appreciate, I've been told that I am the only American journalist who has celebrated so extensively on Russian life, culture, music, art, etc. Last June when I was driven around Moscow in the wee hours of the morning by an officer of the Interior Ministry troops, I was "encouraged" to concentrate more on those subjects--but not so much on politics. Not that I pay much attention to such admonitions.

At a luncheon this coming weekend I will be seated next to a deputy director of the Presidential Press office. If you wish, I'll ask for a report on how I'm doing.   :)

Offline The Natural

« Reply #46 on: June 01, 2016, 07:24:03 AM »
To the Natural: As someone who has been assigned to, traveled with, and reported on some of the leading figures including Misters Putin, Medvedev, and Federation Council president Valentina Matviyenko, neither am I a stranger to or unknown to Russian authorities.

If there is anything they appreciate, I've been told that I am the only American journalist who has celebrated so extensively on Russian life, culture, music, art, etc. Last June when I was driven around Moscow in the wee hours of the morning by an officer of the Interior Ministry troops, I was "encouraged" to concentrate more on those subjects--but not so much on politics. Not that I pay much attention to such admonitions.

At a luncheon this coming weekend I will be seated next to a deputy director of the Presidential Press office. If you wish, I'll ask for a report on how I'm doing.   :)

Well, good for you. Just hope you mind your language around these important people. Guess you do if what you write has truth to it.
I guess harder restrictions on foreign journalists (agents) as with declining visas, is expected to be met with the same for Russian journalists, and not something they feel is in their interest to do. If it were, I'd love to see TV2 journalist Øystein Bogen being denied entry to Russia. State broadcaster NRK's correspondent Morten Jentoft on the other hand, is much more balanced and fair.
Maybe from the standpoint of Russian officials, it's a matter of keeping their friends close and their enemies closer.

Offline Boethius

« Reply #47 on: June 01, 2016, 07:35:28 AM »
I guess harder restrictions on foreign journalists (agents) as with declining visas, is expected to be met with the same for Russian journalists

Please name the Russian journalists banned from the U.S.

Banning journalists is the hallmark of authoritarianism.

You post here, moaning about a lack of "free speech" when you comment on moderation, yet find it perfectly acceptable for a state to restrict access to information.

Lenin had a term for people like you, which Putin also believes in.

Offline Boethius

« Reply #48 on: June 01, 2016, 07:37:05 AM »

Very questionable?  She was in the custody of the terrorists rebels at the time the bombing that she was jailed for (after a "fair trial" in Russia) occurred.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 07:59:43 AM by Boethius »

Offline The Natural

« Reply #49 on: June 01, 2016, 08:02:44 AM »
Please name the Russian journalists banned from the U.S.

Banning journalists is the hallmark of authoritarianism.

You post here, moaning about a lack of "free speech" when you comment on moderation, yet find it perfectly acceptable for a state to restrict access to information.

Lenin had a term for people like you, which Putin also believes in.

Since you always misunderstand (on purpose?) what I write, I don't have more time to waste on you. Namecalling and insults does not help you here.

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541297
Total Topics: 20859
Most Online Today: 3462
Most Online Ever: 12701