It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Meat  (Read 5127 times)

Offline Larry1

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Meat
« on: July 03, 2015, 01:12:53 PM »
Last night on TV there was a marathon of the Barbecue Pitmasters show. Tomorrow is Independence Day in the US and many people will be grilling meat: hamburgers, hot dogs, steaks, sausages, etc. 

Beef
Beef seems to be the most common meat in the US. At the top of the beef pyramid is the steak. At the bottom is the ground beef found in the lowest quality fast food restaurants. Here is a nice looking steak grilled to medium rare:

I think many of you prefer your steaks cooked medium or even medium well.

I haven't seen many beef dishes on most restaurant menus in FSU. A week or two ago I was chatting with a FSUW and learned how much beef steaks cost at her grocery store. Their price was much  higher than I pay here. My nearest grocery store has porterhouse steaks on sale for $6.99/pound.  That is equal to about $15/kg.

Pork
In most of East Asia pork is king.

'Pork Princess' of Taipei

With her stunning looks and a smile to die for, Miss Zhang Caijie, 25, looks out of place working as a butcher in a market.

The former philosophy student has become an Internet sensation after netizens uploaded photos of her working in her family's stall in Taipei's Dongmen Market, Mail Online reported.

She is now known as the "Pork Princess" and seems to have injected some dose of glamour into the otherwise dreary profession

http://www.soshiok.com/content/pork-princess-taipei

It used to be thought that you were at risk for some food-borne illness if you ate pork cooked to less than 160F. When I cooked pork chops for my grandmother I had to cook them until they were almost the texture of shoe leather. But experts have revised the safe internal temperature down to 145F.

One of my favorite meals in FSU is pork shashlik. I'm a longtime fan of skewered and grilled meats. When you buy skewers don't get the cheapie ones from the grocery store. Get the heavy duty ones with flat blades. Your meat won't spin around when you're turning it over.

Lamb
Lamb is one of my favorite meats. Lamb chops are terrific but they cost more than $20/pound ($44/kg).  I usually grill leg of lamb. I get boneless leg of lamb these days because it's a pain to carve around the bone. If you have a Trader Joe in your city they stock good leg of lamb.

Lambshank is an inexpensive cut. But it should be braised for quite some time to achieve tenderness.

Sauces and condiments
Some people eat their meats plain but many prefer a sauce or condiment to be served with them. When I was a kid I put ketchup on my burgers. Now I prefer a Dijon-style mustard or whole-grain mustard. I also like England's bottled Worcestershire Sauce.

My favorite sauces for beef or lamb are the herb-based chimichurri sauce or the egg yolk and butter based Bernaise sauce.

If you eat at an Argentine or Brazilian steakhouse (and you really should - their meats are superb) try the chimichurri sauce. But it's very easy to make yourself.

Canned meats
There are many canned meats on the grocery store shelves. To my mind these products are best left to survivalists' bunkers. I detest their taste and texture.  When I was a kid I ate a lot of Spam. The only way I could stomach it was to coat it liberally with either horseradish or spicy mustard.

What do you think about these meats?
How do you like them cooked?
What other meats do you enjoy?
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 03:30:42 PM by Larry1 »

Offline ML

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: > 10
Re: Meat
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2015, 01:26:48 PM »
Larry, the steak you showed looks more like rare than medium rare.

But only idiots would want to eat a good cut of steak that was medium or medium well, or . . . God forbid . . . well.

For such persons, never, ever buy a good cut of steak for them as this article says:

http://culinaryarts.about.com/od/beefporkothermeats/a/Well-Done-Steak.htm

But yes, I know it takes a while to get the FSU folk to appreciate a medium rare steak.

Ochka is now on board . . . but it took awhile.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline Larry1

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2015, 01:54:06 PM »
Larry, the steak you showed looks more like rare than medium rare.

But only idiots would want to eat a good cut of steak that was medium or medium well, or . . . God forbid . . . well.

For such persons, never, ever buy a good cut of steak for them as this article says:

http://culinaryarts.about.com/od/beefporkothermeats/a/Well-Done-Steak.htm

But yes, I know it takes a while to get the FSU folk to appreciate a medium rare steak.

Ochka is now on board . . . but it took awhile.

Medium-rare steaks might be an acquired taste. I began my steak-eating days as a child ordering them medium-well, as my father ordered them. At some point in my teen years I tried a steak cooked to medium and never went back to medium-well. Soon thereafter I tried a steak cooked to medium-rare. I've stayed in the medium-rare to rare range ever since.

Once of my daughters also went from prefering her steaks medium-well to prefering them medium when she was about 15.

As for which cut of steak, my favorite is the New York Strip. The best I've ever had was the bone-in dry aged Strip at Mitchell's Steakhouse in downtown Columbus, Ohio. The dry aging does give the meat a more intense flavor. The manager at that Mitchell's must have had a thing for tall girls. The hostesses were all statuesque beauties (every one at least six feet tall; 1.83 for the metric folks).

I also like ribeye, flank steak, skirt steak, and flat iron steak. I could probably go on with this list.  I'm definitely a carnivore. PETA probably has me in a database somewhere for sending me to a strict vegetarian re-education camp if they take over. But I doubt they're taking over anytime soon.  After all, which army would win in a civil war: an army of meat-eaters or an army of hipster vegetarians?
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 01:55:56 PM by Larry1 »

Online Faux Pas

• Trips: No Selection
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2015, 01:57:42 PM »
I would call that steak medium rare. It's pink. Rare is blood red. We're having some grilled steaks today with some Russian guests and I'll be the only one not eating mine "done"

also, I haven't seen Porterhouse at $6.99 even on sale in my neck of the woods in many moons. I bought some on sale yesterday at $8.99
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 02:00:14 PM by Faux Pas »

Offline alex330

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2015, 02:15:05 PM »
Ribeye medium rare is my go to cut. You can sometimes talk me into a marinated skirt steak or a slab of picanha doused with rock salt though. Beef ribs cross cut also make excellent appetizers, but not something you will find in most US meat departments.

It took my wife a little bit to adjust to the correct temperature, but she has seen the light and now also prefers medium rare these days.

Offline Larry1

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2015, 02:31:51 PM »
I would call that steak medium rare. It's pink. Rare is blood red. We're having some grilled steaks today with some Russian guests and I'll be the only one not eating mine "done"

also, I haven't seen Porterhouse at $6.99 even on sale in my neck of the woods in many moons. I bought some on sale yesterday at $8.99

They were at Kroger:

http://www.kroger.com/weeklyAd

I'm not crazy about Kroger meats though. I used to get most of my meat at another store, but Kroger bought it out two days ago. That store had butchers and an excellent selection of good quality meats, even Creekstone Farms meats.

Online 2tallbill

• Living the dream
  • Spouse's Country: Russia
Meat
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2015, 03:16:28 PM »
As for which cut of steak, my favorite is the New York Strip. The best I've ever had was the bone-in dry aged Strip at Mitchell's Steakhouse in downtown Columbus, Ohio. The dry aging does give the meat a more intense flavor. The manager at that Mitchell's must have had a thing for tall girls. The hostesses were all statuesque beauties (every one at least six feet tall; 1.83 for the metric folks).

I also like ribeye, flank steak, skirt steak, and flat iron steak. I could probably go on with this list.  I'm definitely a carnivore. PETA probably has me in a database somewhere for sending me to a strict vegetarian re-education camp if they take over. But I doubt they're taking over anytime soon.  After all, which army would win in a civil war: an army of meat-eaters or an army of hipster vegetarians?

My favorite steak is a Ribeye. In my opinion it's the most flavorful cut and maybe the 4th
most tender. I will only cook this steak medium rare. If I have guests I will also have a
couple of sirloin steaks that if a guest wants a medium steak that's what they get. If you
want a medium well steak, I will cook it till it's medium and then let the guest dry it out
the rest of the way. I don't know how to prepared dried out steak. 

Here is a partial cheat sheet for our friends in Australia and New Zealand who actually
have good beef and usually know how to cook it. Many of the terms are the same for
our friends in Blighty but they know less even about steak than they know about good
food  :D

The US Ribeye is a Down Under Scotch fillet.
The US Sirloin is more complicated but figure it's a Down under Rump Steak
and you will be mostly correct.
A US New York Strip is a down under Porterhouse or Sirloin steak

FSUW are not for entry level daters
FSUW don't do vague
FSUW like a man of action. Be a man of action 
If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane.
There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Just kiss the girl, don't ask her first. Tolerate NO excuses!

Offline Larry1

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2015, 04:14:17 PM »
When I wrote the original post above I forgot one of my favorite meats: country ham. Here is a brief description from its Wikipedia page:

Country ham is a variety of cured ham, typically very salty. Country ham is first mentioned in print in 1944, referring to a method of curing and smoking done in the rural parts of North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, Georgia, Kentucky and other nearby Southern states.

It's salty because it's salt cured. It's usually also smoked.  The salt curing and smoking was originally done in centuries past as methods of preserving the hams before the advent of refrigeration.  But now the curing is done mainly to produce the desired flavor, much like with Italy's prosciutto or Spain's jamon iberico (I'm not saying that country ham tastes like prosciutto or jamon iberico).

Country ham is often cooked and served on biscuits. It's also frequently served with red-eye gravy, made from pan drippings and coffee.

Online Faux Pas

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2015, 04:19:25 PM »
Ribeye medium rare is my go to cut. You can sometimes talk me into a marinated skirt steak or a slab of picanha doused with rock salt though. Beef ribs cross cut also make excellent appetizers, but not something you will find in most US meat departments.

It took my wife a little bit to adjust to the correct temperature, but she has seen the light and now also prefers medium rare these days.

My wife hasn't advanced that far, yet. She wants well done yet still juicy. She won't whine too much (anymore) if there is a thin line of pink. I like Ribeyes but always preferred Porterhouses if good one are available. I also like a good thick cut of Sirloin. A bit chewy but flavorful

They were at Kroger:

http://www.kroger.com/weeklyAd

I'm not crazy about Kroger meats though. I used to get most of my meat at another store, but Kroger bought it out two days ago. That store had butchers and an excellent selection of good quality meats, even Creekstone Farms meats.

Several years ago Kroger had good meat. I didn't mind Kroger at all, good meat and a fair price. Moved away and it was no longer an option but, I generally will find a mom and pop butcher, get to know them and get choice cuts. Those are harder and harder to find every day though

Offline ML

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2015, 04:20:43 PM »

That doesn't sound right.

Porterhouse is a combo with tenderloin filet on one side of the bone and NY strip on the other side.

T-bone is same combo as Porterhouse, but just smaller portions of the filet and strip.

And Club Steak is the same combo also, but even smaller portions than the T-bone.

The filet portion is most tender, but  almost tasteless . . . so the very best taste is always the NY Strip side . . . thus best just go with the NY Strip itself.

Yes, Ribeye is very tasty . . . because it's filled with fat !!!

If anyone wants well done steak . . . best to just serve them hamburger . . . or a well marinated slab of the toughest, cheapest cut of meat.

Also note that the main reason unknowledgeable folks shy away from medium rare is that they mistakenly  believe the red juice is blood.  It is NOT blood.  All blood is drained out during the butchering process.

The red juice is a combination of water and a protein called myoglobin.  This myoglobin is not present in white meats.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Online Faux Pas

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2015, 04:32:32 PM »
I would knife someone that tried to cut away the fat from my steak *just saying*

Offline SANDRO43

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2015, 04:35:18 PM »
much like with Italy's prosciutto or Spain's jamon iberico (I'm not saying that country ham tastes like prosciutto or jamon iberico).
Correct, our Parma ham is only salted, and left to season in hilly warehouses for at least 12 months.

Interestingly, the etymology of prosciutto is from the local dialect "pŕr-sůt", Italian "sembra asciutto" (i.e. it looks dry) :D.

Another cured meat of ours is Bresaola from our Alpine regions, an air-dried, salted beef that has been aged 2-3 months until it becomes hard and turns dark red, almost purple - a favourite summer dish of ours, served thinly sliced after leaving it marinate in oil and lemon juice,  with a few sprigs of parsley:

Südtiroler Speck is a dry-cured, lightly smoked ham:
Milan's "Duomo"

Offline Slumba

• Banned Member
  • Trips: 1 - 3
Me gusta ir de compras con mi tarjeta verde...

Online 2tallbill

• Living the dream
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2015, 08:31:47 PM »
That doesn't sound right.

Porterhouse is a combo with tenderloin filet on one side of the bone and NY strip on the other side.

T-bone is same combo as Porterhouse, but just smaller portions of the filet and strip.

And Club Steak is the same combo also, but even smaller portions than the T-bone.

The filet portion is most tender, but  almost tasteless . . . so the very best taste is always the NY Strip side . . . thus best just go with the NY Strip itself.

Yes, Ribeye is very tasty . . . because it's filled with fat !!!

I know it doesn't sound right but I looked it up to make sure. They use the same
words to refer to different cuts at the bottom of the world.

Here is the link for the US vs Aussie names for the NY Strip
A NY Strip in Australia is a lap dance where your wallet gets lifted  ;D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strip_steak#cite_note-3
FSUW are not for entry level daters
FSUW don't do vague
FSUW like a man of action. Be a man of action 
If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane.
There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Just kiss the girl, don't ask her first. Tolerate NO excuses!

Offline Anotherkiwi

• Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2015, 02:03:18 AM »
Here is a partial cheat sheet for our friends in Australia and New Zealand who actually have good beef and usually know how to cook it. Many of the terms are the same for our friends in Blighty but they know less even about steak than they know about good food  :D

The US Ribeye is a Down Under Scotch fillet.
The US Sirloin is more complicated but figure it's a Down under Rump Steak
and you will be mostly correct.

Thanks, Bill!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strip_steak#cite_note-3

The photos are definitely what we would call sirloin steak.

Here's this week's beef catalogue from our biggest supermarket chain.  Note that $NZ 1 = $US 0.67.

http://shop.countdown.co.nz/#url=/Shop/SearchProducts%3Fsearch%3Dbeef

Offline cc3

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2015, 03:44:25 AM »
Since I don't eat beef, this is my favorite form of 'steak':

http://www.pacseafood.com/recipes/details/grilled-calamari-steaks-with-scampi-butter/

By the way, pacseafood.com = the family owned and operated Pacific Sustainable Seafood Co., founded by a Slavic (Croatian) immigrant into the US more than 70 years ago. It shows what Slavs, or any ethnicity, can do in a free enterprise (i.e., not Russian) system, with the rule of honest law to protect their entrepreneurial efforts.

Since we are in Lviv this Independence Day, my family and I will be celebrating with baked salmon...no calamari steak available.

To my fellow Yanks, "Happy Fourth!"

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541017
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2377
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 2360
Total: 2371

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Today at 09:57:04 PM

Re: Plumber earnings by Trenchcoat
Today at 09:37:55 PM

Plumber earnings by ML
Today at 07:49:26 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 07:23:34 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Today at 06:28:48 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by 2tallbill
Today at 04:48:07 PM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 04:37:18 PM

If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Today at 04:17:08 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 02:48:08 PM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 01:09:03 PM