It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Welcome to Russia apartments and a diamond ring!  (Read 2974 times)

Offline 392ihc

Welcome to Russia apartments and a diamond ring!
« on: January 10, 2010, 01:25:35 PM »
Greetings and Happy New Year to all of you!
I just posted in another thread about my experiences with my Russian woman in Moscow but I do not want to mix threads to insert another question in to that thread!

Two questions for any of you who can answer!! 

Has anyone out there had any experience with renting an apartment from the "Welcome to Russia" group?  Specifically, I am asking about apartments in Moscow, but they rent apartments all over the FSU.  They have a flat near my lady's apartment on the same metro line.  Of course it is too much money, but that is a fact of life all over Moscow.  Pictures are great.  I can rent from my computer at home and put on my credit card......but I am cautious also......hence my question.

Second question involves the engagement ring I am taking with me to Moscow.  How difficult will it be for me to enter the Russian Federation with a diamond ring?  Do I even bother to declare it?  Wear it only my pinky finger and just walk throught customs?  Please tell me what you guys may have done!

Of course, I am grateful for the wisdom and experience on this site!

Offline acrzybear

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Re: Welcome to Russia apartments and a diamond ring!
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 02:34:49 PM »
I and others have used Rick's service in Moscow - highly reccommend

http://www.enjoymoscow.com/apartments.htm
Necessitas dat ingenium

Offline Shadow

• Trips: > 10
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 03:35:57 PM »
Check if your credit card will be charged from a Russian or an American company.
If its a Russian company, they would need to have serious credibility to be able to accept credit cards.
If its charged from America, check if they have a Russian office and let your GF call them to check them out.

Edit:

Regarding the diamond ring, just keep it in your pocket. Unless it is a 'New Russian' style diamond ring that will light up a restaurant when shwon in the open.
Remember that Russians are 'poor', especially those in Moscow.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 03:38:07 PM by Shadow »
No it is not a dog. Its really how I look.  ;)

Offline ECOCKS

• To those who deserve it, good luck.
  • Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2010, 05:19:04 PM »
Mine came in a small plastic bag, wrapped up in a sock and stuffed inside a pair of shoes. If I had carried it, I'd have just put it in my carry-on luggage in the original box.

You would do well to read and consider carefully the differences in becoming engaged between America and Russia. She may not view it quite the same as you anticipate she would with regard to what it signifies and means  both to you and to others. Best not to make too many assumptions and then get blindsided in a misstep.

You seem happy and excited by this, so best of luck to you. 
Pick and choose carefully among the advice offered and consider the source carefully. PM, Skype or email if you care to chat or discuss

Offline myrddin

• Every man dies, not every man really lives.
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2010, 05:58:49 PM »

You would do well to read and consider carefully the differences in becoming engaged between America and Russia. She may not view it quite the same as you anticipate she would with regard to what it signifies and means  both to you and to others. Best not to make too many assumptions and then get blindsided in a misstep.

Ed, I'm sure many people are curious about the details of those "differences".  Care to elaborate?
"There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle." - Albert Einstein

Offline ECOCKS

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2010, 06:13:39 PM »
The women can give you better perspectives but my assessment is that they hear us say what our traditions are but don't have a lifetime of hearing and seeing it in their experience. My wife loves her ring. However to her it is too valuable to risk wearing daily and this affects her remembering to wear it on a daily basis. She prefers her plain, simple wedding band (still often slipping it on her right hand per their traditions) to the styled diamond unless we are going somplace "special". That means a party or similar event, not dinner out at a steakplace or going shopping at the mall. IN short, she understands it's our way but simply doesn't have the habit of putting on jewelry like that on a routine basis.

More than a few guys question getting the ring back if the wedding is called off, I hazard to venture that getting it back from an FSUW will be a bit more difficult than an AW unless you fully explain the symbolism of the bond/contract it represents. Even American gals have been known to take a "you GAVE it to me, it's MINE" attitude on this subject and they are from our culture. Just be sure you clearly explain that this isn't just another gift is my basic advice.
Pick and choose carefully among the advice offered and consider the source carefully. PM, Skype or email if you care to chat or discuss

Offline 392ihc

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2010, 07:13:28 PM »
You are correct about the different perceptions regarding a diamond ring.... without actually telling her about it, we have discussed openly.  I have only told her that I have made a decision about a ring.  The idea of an "engagement" ring is somewhat new in the FSU!  But these women are not fools either...they learn quickly about our culture ...even if it comes from American movies!   My lady has explained to me that if a woman will wear a ring with a stone from her man...."it does mean that no other man should come and knock, knock on her door!"  This is good enough for me!  She also says that at marriage a woman should have ring with no stone.....  so, yes, they understand these things.  She still wears a beautiful diamond wedding ring from her deceased husband--on her right hand.   I have already told her that this is fine and I want her to keep this--on her right hand!

If I give this ring to her and our relationship does not proceed as I hope, I will give it up as lost....just like I did with AW!

Thanks for the input on smuggling the ring into the Russian Federation!  No, it is not the type which will light up a room--I will carry in my pocket.

Offline ECOCKS

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2010, 11:37:08 PM »
To clarify, I didn't have it sent that way, a family member had that bright packaging idea.

In no way do I advise smuggling, I just answered your question on how it got here.

Really, it pissed me off since it was not insured by the shipper. If the customs inspector had found it, who knows what would have happened?

Offline Shadow

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2010, 03:36:39 AM »
Just to tell you the official regulations, they allow you up to $2300 of gifts or items for personal use. Russian customs do not strip search you or go through your luggage, as long as you do not look like a salesman.

I remember that first time to Kiev I did declare as I brought my laptop and digital camera. It was not welcomed by the custom officers, though it was a quick way of entry.
No it is not a dog. Its really how I look.  ;)

Offline Aloe

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2010, 06:54:42 AM »
I would be very cautious giving your CC info to russian companies, better have your lady pay deposit in cash imo. Better safe than sorry.

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 540997
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 1773
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 10
Guests: 1783
Total: 1793

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:20:42 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:12:54 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:02:12 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 08:45:42 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 07:59:27 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 07:04:53 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 06:59:45 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 06:57:42 PM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 06:36:52 PM

Re: Twenty Years... and Counting (MarkInTx Update) by supranatural
Yesterday at 03:02:29 PM