It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Photo hosting - where?  (Read 17259 times)

Offline Maxx2

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Re: Photo hosting - where?
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2018, 05:10:02 AM »

Offline msmob

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2018, 06:10:51 AM »
You really got it, Maxx

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2018, 06:20:19 AM »
"Planning out my return to the Art world (oil painting)"

you're a painter?
I am as well
mainly watercolor
how easy is it to buy supplies there?
I did purchase some Russian watercolor and oil paints in Moscow last month, haven't used them yet, so I don't know quality
almost nothing in Crimea, you'd have to use the old materials, manufactured by nature and not by man
advantage of living in a country served by Amazon, I can have supplies here in 48 hrs
what are your preferred subjects?  I prefer to do human portraits now, but sometimes I find myself returning to nature
what inspires you?

care to share some pics?
I'll show you mine, if you show me yours!!!

Back High School about 100 years ago... Ok only 48 years ago my teachers were impressed my art. One of them got the school buy me some oil paints, brushes and canvas. There was a young woman, four years older than myself I had a crush on, so I decided to paint her in the style Rembrandt. I did pretty well. It looked just like her. My art class was taken a tour of the Minneapolis Institute of Art. There in their museum was a Rembrandt of Lucrezia Borgia taking her life with a dagger.

NOT mine!

The artist at the museum that impressed me the most was also Dutch. His name was Jan Both, a landscape artist from the seventeenth century.

NOT mine!

At 17 I liked this style above. Still do. However was being taught in Art class about French Impressionism and other styles and decided to experiment with a mixture of styles into this style art (Extreme Realism).

[size=78%]

I thought to might look better if I mixed in some impressionism into it.

I particularly did not like Both's exact detail of the figures in the foreground. I learned that it looks more realist to the eye (when you glance at a painting as we usually do) to leave the figures somewhat indistinct. Let the eye and the brain do the translating. Most people do not know this and if they are trying to paint realistic, they over due it.

Here is the closeup of the woman on the donkey.

Anyway I painted this when I was 18. My youngest daughter has it. My oldest wants me to paint her one so they are encouraging me to get back to painting.

On a note, I was offered a scholarship to attend the Minneapolis Institute of Art. My father discouraged me from doing so. We were Jehovah's Witnesses (I am NOT now) and secondary education like college, university et cetera was discourage as it was an indication, as they seen it, that you didn't have trust in God and his promised kingdom. Crazy I know.

I painted a few paintings after this. I sold a few, one for $300. Which was pretty good sum back then (1971). Gasoline was 25-29 cents a gallon and a new house with hardwood floors was $25K. With a job at the Chicago Northwestern Railroad provided for me by one of the church's elders it occupied my time and I withdrew from art.

Cost of art supplies in the Republic of Georgia? I don't know. I my landlady's husband George is going to help me shop. He paints and knows where to go to get the best prices. I will let you know on my thread.
 [/size]

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2018, 06:22:23 AM »

I know not to chance modifying my post as I might lose what I managed to accomplish

Online krimster2

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2018, 08:00:45 AM »
WOW!
very nice, much more ambitious than me!
I consider myself more of an illustrator than an artist
I also do pen and ink sketches in a Robert Crumb style

never sold anything
always give away
99% of what I do is for my children or other children in family
this picture is one of teenage boys "cadets" I call em who hangs around my house
can't convince any of them to do something useful like wash my car, etc
willing to put in good word for them with my daughters in exchange...

Offline msmob

« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2018, 08:04:12 AM »
Hidden talents abound

Online krimster2

« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2018, 08:15:20 AM »
not my best effort by any means, more a 20 minute sketch
for your wife I would probably need two whole days, depending on the size of the painting

seriously, your wife was never a model of some sort?
she would have been "commercialized" over here, without even looking herself
my 17 yr has already received modeling offers from an agency, they approached her

Offline msmob

« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2018, 08:45:09 AM »
Yup - she has done some modelling work - but not since we've been an item - other than shoots to promote her bikini / dress designs ..

Again - this is a still from a video - taken with a mobile phone cam - underwater

Online krimster2

« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2018, 08:54:14 AM »
wow.....

Offline msmob

« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2018, 09:00:00 AM »
Ironically, she rarely uses the pool ...

I bought her a decent  ( Anker ) selfie-stick for her 50th ( not just that ) and she finally got the hang of it, today

Taken with a WileyFox Swift2 X ( half the price in Russia - compared to the UK )

Offline BdHvA

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: No Selection
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2018, 06:30:47 PM »
In the 17th century there was a fairly large group of Dutch artists working in Italy, often referred today as the Benteveughles, Netherlandish artists in Italy, there was also the Bamboccianti though they preferred to paint genre (people) scenes.

A group such as J. Both, and N. Berchem painted the Italianate landscape in a warmer light as opposed to the rather cool (grey or brown) light of the Dutch landscape. These artist were popular with visitors and back at 'home'.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 07:01:09 PM by BdHvA »
Experierence is not what happens to you. It is what you do with what happens to you. A. Huxley

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2018, 11:37:02 PM »
Well I'm up at 8 AM, showered, shaved and coffee-ed. My diet is going great and the same for my blood glucose levels. This morning, only 109.

Krimster, your water color is excellent! The mark on the bridge of the nose was an accident right? IMO you should expand your art. You definitely are highly talented! 

Moby, thanks for the help on the photo hosting. I've got 10 photos ready to post on my thread. Guess what. I might have lost my phone. My "man bag" was open when I took it out of the car. I checked it and noticed the phone wasn't in it. This was a few days ago so it might be discharged. I'll check around in the car again.

My man bag was given to me by the lady that visited me. I really dislike those things. So metro sexual. But they are handy as long as you remember to zip them up!

BdHvaA, (Krimster) now that you mention it, I remember about Italianiac landscape being part of Dutch art.  Also about 'genre'* that is closeups of people scenes. This has been lingering in the back of my mind when I was thinking over starting up painting again. Like the Dutch artists that went to Italy to paint Roman ruins, I went to Georgia to paint Georgian ruins and there are Roman ruins here too. My plan is to buy a printer for my computer to print out photos to be painted. It is much easier to paint from a print-out than off a computer screen. Then I would make some changes, such as inserting historical figures and/or genre scenes. I got a major interest in Queen Tamar "King of Kings" of the real 'Game of Thrones'. Anyway I am babbling.

* Below is an example of genre, closeups of people. I did not paint this but I admired the style of art and this historical figure. Georgia's greatest King David the fourth "The Builder" defeated a Turkish/Persian army many times his size in a place called Didigori. He made Georgia free of Muslim domination. His great granddaughter Tamar or Tamara rose to her great grandfather's reputation. The Turkish Sultan sent a messenger to deliver her a letter saying she had a choice, she could either covert to Islam and be his wife or remain a Christian and be his concubine. One of Tamara's men gave the messenger a beating and sent him back with a message of go to hell. She rode into the battle and thrashed the Sultan's army.  [size=78%] [/size]
[/size]
[/size]
[/size]

This place gets a lot of tourism. If Moby and SC ever decide to drive to Georgia they will go right past this. It is on the left side of the road. A popular site for Russian tourists. It is a fortress within a fortress. If an enemy solder manage to breach the walls he would find death from a thousand places. It is a maze inside with narrow passageways and staircases and places where spears can be inserted to poke him. Or arrows shot down at him from above. It even has place were boiling can be poured. 

This is a 15 minute drive from where I live in Tbilisi. Nobody pays it much of a mind. It goes back to the Middle Ages and there is evidence there was Roman and pre Roman ruins there. Not much information on it except for a local legend involving curses and snakes.

This is one NOBODY pays any attention to. These guard towers are everywhere. It is on the road coming down from Russia. There is no road to it and it is on the wrong side of the river. If you decided you wanted to explore it you would have to ford the river and do a bit of hill climbing.

This place gets quite a bit of tourism. Home to Georgia Kings and Queens. A cave city about an hour and a half's drive from here. I like the glow the sky. Something I possibly could paint. It dates back to 2000 BCE. Lived in until about the 1500s if memory serves me correct.

This place gets no attention. Today the locals use it to fish off of. Built by Roman general Pompeii in 70 BCE to aid in his conquest of Georgia. It is 15 minute drive from here by Mskheta.

There is lots things here to give inspiration. I understand why the Dutch moved to Italy to paint. The Netherlands must have been like Minneapolis and Saint Paul were for me. Full of modern dikes and windmills and nothing of history or ruins.

This post took me about an hour to put it together. I'll repost it on my thread as I am sure this thread will disappear soon.

Offline msmob

« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2018, 11:41:52 PM »
Hi Maxx !

GREAT photos ...   and 'dig' re promising to come and NOT coming accepted ...   

We had a discussion on the very subject last night before going to sleep 3000km apart ....   Latest 'plan' is sometime in September ...   Madam has no passport currently .... a story for another thread, when concluded !

She'll have to hurry up as the snow will come in the mountains ((

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2018, 12:00:47 AM »

Great to hear! I'll be in Tbilisi in September and October. But I would like drive to Batumi for a visit. I would be very glad to show you around. There is a Roman fortress 10 minutes south of Batumi called Gonio that I would like to visit. My lady friend and I went into it but there is 3 Lari entrance fee ($1.25) and we didn't have money! We both laughed about that. She made it clear later she wasn't interested in history and preferred sun tanning and splashing in the sea. The Black Sea there is where the water is the clearest. Batumi's water is cloudy from the silt from the river between Gonio and Batumi. The current flows north. I never got back to the fortress tour because I like doing those kinds of things with company. Perhaps we can do that? There is Turkish restaurant called The Sultan right before Gonio I like. You just go up to the food counter, pick what you like and they bring it out to you in 5 minutes. Very good food. No pork just lamb and chicken.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gonio_Fortress

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2018, 12:27:35 AM »

She'll have to hurry up as the snow will come in the mountains ((

I've been up on that road up to the Georgian ski resort area but not beyond. So I got fairly close to the Russian border. The road is a two lane. It has safety barriers in the dangerous spots. They keep it well plowed as it is a major route for truckers from Russia, Georgia, Armenia, Azerbaijan and Iran. The photo below was taken in April. November to March is the worst time to drive it. I don't like driving on snow, even plowed snow in the mountains.

Armenia driver returning from Russia took the curve too fast.
Notice the skid marks and the boulder on the left side of the road. Boulders, rocks, cows and trucks on the road are the only things you need to watch out for. Other than that it is a pretty safe road.

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2018, 12:30:56 AM »

Notice too ^ right above the truck what seems to be a stone building or tower. Georgia loses its green in late November, except in Batumi where it is subtropical. Nice to see green grass growing year long. Not much sunbathing or swimming from November to May though.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 12:34:58 AM by Maxx2 »

Offline msmob

« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2018, 12:37:17 AM »
PS..I REALLY hope you find your phone ((

If not ... let me know as I can get you one like Sveta's

She can bring it from Russia c. 130 USD - dual sim and reasonable camera

Normal price 9k Rouble - reduced to 8 K

Check their main RU site ..http://ru.wileyfox.com/smartphones/

http://euroset.ru/catalog/phones/smartphones/wileyfox/-/wileyfox-swift-2-x-temno-sinij/

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2018, 12:56:01 AM »
PS..I REALLY hope you find your phone ((

If not ... let me know as I can get you one like Sveta's

She can bring it from Russia c. 130 USD - dual sim and reasonable camera

Normal price 9k Rouble - reduced to 8 K

Check their main RU site ..http://ru.wileyfox.com/smartphones/

http://euroset.ru/catalog/phones/smartphones/wileyfox/-/wileyfox-swift-2-x-temno-sinij/

Please do it. If I find my cell I still could use a backup phone. I am good at losing phones. I didn't mention this on my thread. I lost my phone when picking up Larisa at the airport. Some guy found it. Larisa called him and gave him a good chewing out for keeping it. He ended turning it into the police. We went to the police station with a good bottle of wine as a thank you gift. My Russian friend Alex that went with us said a 25 Lari ($10) bottle of wine should be very good quality. Most wine here is $3-$4 a bottle. Anyway I got my phone back.

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #43 on: August 27, 2018, 09:35:36 AM »

Please do it. If I find my cell I still could use a backup phone.

I found it between the seats. But I would like a backup phone. Thank you Moby for the offer and all help recently. 

Offline msmob

« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2018, 11:56:35 AM »
)))

SC called me from a dress shop and asked me if I liked a dress - then left the phone in the dress shop ..!

She got home and realised and I put a message on the phone to say it was lost - who to call and signed her out of her accounts - then locked the phone

Why she was driving back to the shop - a kind worker at the shop called and SC collected it within 5 mins

Most folks ARE kind - all over the world

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #45 on: August 27, 2018, 12:57:02 PM »

Most folks ARE kind - all over the world

I am finding that true. Besides the reluctant finder in Batumi of my cell phone to turn it in there was a taxi driver in Tbilisi that found my phone after I went to the gym. He returned it right away. I gave him a 30 Lari tip. I asked a cab driver once what his goal for the day is to make. He told me 50 Lari. So my 30 Lari finders reward must have come as a pleasant surprise.

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541004
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 12
Guests: 1883
Total: 1895

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 11:16:08 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by ML
Today at 10:31:43 AM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 09:47:10 AM

What to do by 2tallbill
Today at 09:37:41 AM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Today at 09:18:17 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 07:00:25 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Brillynt
Today at 06:16:36 AM

Yesterday at 09:20:42 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:12:54 PM

Yesterday at 09:02:12 PM