It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Car rental in Kiev/Kyiv  (Read 3146 times)

Offline Strider

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: No Selection
Car rental in Kiev/Kyiv
« on: April 16, 2014, 08:08:33 AM »
After briefly seeing the Maidan before exiting for business elsewhere, I will be flying back to Boryspil airport soon and arriving in  the early morning hours.  I need to make a visit to the South in Nikoleav, and  the  best option appears to be renting a car.  I have an international driver's license so I am legal, but can anyone advise about car rentals at the airport?  I am wondering if they will be open when I arrive.  The roads and speed traps are also a concern. 

Advice and experience with this is greatly appreciated.

Strider
"It's by talking nonsense that one gets to the truth!"
-Fiodor Michajłowicz Dostojewski

Offline lonedrake

Re: Car rental in Kiev/Kyiv
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 08:33:55 AM »
 I have rented a car from Europcar my last two trips. First time I had a Skoda and the last trip was a Ford Fiesta. I actually liked the Fiesta better. Europe car has certain hours. If it is outside those hours you will be charged a little extra, but they will have somebody there anytime you need them. You just need to call them and work it out with them.

I would advise to rent a GPS also as most of the roads are poorly marked. Even then you will run into a few dead ends, but not that difficult to figure out which way to go.

As far as speed traps go.....I have put on over 2,500 kms and never ran into one. I drove an average speed of 110-115 kms per hour and had no problems. The top speed I was able to get the Fiesta up to was 160 kms per hour. I may have just been lucky.  :)

Offline BillyB

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 10:05:44 AM »

Watch out for missing man hole covers and other large holes in the road. There are much more pedestrians to look out for and some will enter the road without looking.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline Muzh

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 10:52:23 AM »
And stay away from tanks.

To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead. Thomas Paine - The American Crisis 1776-1783

Offline northkape

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2014, 11:19:22 AM »
I have been renting cars at Borispil for many years.
There is no car rental open outside their business hours.
You will have to make an arrangement in advance,,
but don't be short on time, you never know when someone will show up.
Based on my experiences through the years.

I rented from Europcar two weeks ago,, they are located  in the new D terminal.

At the moment I'm renting from Budget,
they have a single guy that will take care of you in the B terminal.
I have rented from him several times, good English...
He is flexible with outside business hours,,, at an extra fee,,, 28 euros last week
I can find his personal phone number if you want it.

Best route to Nikolaev is going from Kiev to Odessa and take left when you arrive at the coast.
Road between Nikolaev and Krivoy Rog was absolutely terrible at the end of last summer..
So ask a truck driver before going this route,,, if necessary 

Offline Strider

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2014, 04:29:16 PM »
Thank you everyone!

I just made a booking online with Eurocar and selected the GPS.  Their normal business hours are from 8:30 Am to 8:30 PM.  It looks like after that additional charges apply.

Thanks for this information.  I usually like to take the direct route, but in this case I'll go the long way and avoid the craters.

Best route to Nikolaev is going from Kiev to Odessa and take left when you arrive at the coast.
Road between Nikolaev and Krivoy Rog was absolutely terrible at the end of last summer..
So ask a truck driver before going this route,,, if necessary

I am wondering if it would be better to wait until daylight.  Even though I will be traveling the main highway, I understand that potholes can be a large problem. 

Watch out for missing man hole covers and other large holes in the road. There are much more pedestrians to look out for and some will enter the road without looking.

Yep, I will try to avoid the tanks on the way, and the surrendering Ukrainian paratroopers.
"It's by talking nonsense that one gets to the truth!"
-Fiodor Michajłowicz Dostojewski

Offline Anotherkiwi

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2014, 06:34:00 PM »
I usually like to take the direct route, but in this case I'll go the long way and avoid the craters.  I am wondering if it would be better to wait until daylight.  Even though I will be traveling the main highway, I understand that potholes can be a large problem. 

It may be bumpy for the first two hours, but there are no craters in the road from Kyiv to Odessa - it's motorway (freeway) all the way.  The road from Odessa to Nikolaev is also fine (or at least it was when I was there).

Yep, I will try to avoid the tanks on the way, and the surrendering Ukrainian paratroopers.

Why spoil a perfectly good post?  :thumbsdown:

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541315
Total Topics: 20860
Most Online Today: 3934