It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Wedding Canceled  (Read 57533 times)

Offline SANDRO43

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: None (yet)
Re: Wedding Canceled
« Reply #150 on: December 13, 2016, 07:27:22 AM »
In the Navy, the restroom is called the head. Who thought up that one?
I guess the Royal Navy, since the sailors' toilet was located at the bow of sailing ships - below, the two box-like things port and starboard:

Milan's "Duomo"

Offline SANDRO43

« Reply #151 on: December 13, 2016, 07:29:48 AM »
We go to the restroom around here.
To sleep together :D?
Milan's "Duomo"

Offline Hammer2722

• Spouse's Country: Belarus
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #152 on: December 13, 2016, 08:15:07 AM »
I guess the Royal Navy, since the sailors' toilet was located at the bow of sailing ships - below, the two box-like things port and starboard:

Its where the term" using the head" comes from since they were located at the head of the ship.  ;D
every ship can be a minesweeper at least once...

Offline SANDRO43

« Reply #153 on: December 13, 2016, 12:18:16 PM »
Its where the term" using the head" comes from since they were located at the head of the ship.  ;D
"Head of the ship" is not an accepted nautical term for that place, it could be confused with the ship's heading: "Quartermaster, mind your head!".

Alternatively, you could say they were located forrard (forward) of the fo'c's'le (forecastle) ;D.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 12:22:30 PM by SANDRO43 »
Milan's "Duomo"

Offline Hammer2722

• Spouse's Country: Belarus
« Reply #154 on: December 13, 2016, 12:22:15 PM »
"Head of the ship" is not an accepted nautical term for that place, it could be confused with the ship's heading.

Alternatively, you could say they were located forrard (forward) of the fo'c's'le (forecastle) ;D.
No, it is not. In the US Navy, we referred to it as the bow or fore but the term "head" and many others are still in use even today.  :)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 12:24:13 PM by Hammer2722 »
every ship can be a minesweeper at least once...

Offline SANDRO43

« Reply #155 on: December 13, 2016, 12:25:17 PM »
In the US Navy, we referred to it as the bow or fore but the term "head"
So you had "heads" in the head :D?
Milan's "Duomo"

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
  • Spouse's Country: Ukraine
« Reply #156 on: December 13, 2016, 01:06:50 PM »
Good someone resurrected this thread, it's actually good for seeing another direction a scam can come from even when you think you're on the path to a genuine marriage. Similar rules of due diligence seem to apply though which Good brew had skipped. Easy for a first time to do though, I should have done more a bit sooner first time around also. Red flags also somewhat similar. Helps to gain greater awareness posts like these I think.
"If you make your own bread, then and only then, are you a free man unchained and alive living in pooty tang paradise, or say no and live in Incel island with all the others." - Krimster

Offline tfcrew

• North Texas... Married 21 years
« Reply #157 on: December 13, 2016, 03:50:25 PM »

"Head of the ship" is not an accepted nautical term for that place, it could be confused with the ship's heading: "Quartermaster, mind your head!".

Mind my restroom ?! :o

the two box-like things port and starboard:
Pee all over the side of the ship? ::)

~There is no one more blind than those who refuse to see and none more deaf as those who will not listen~
~Think about the intelligence of the average person and then realize that half of the people are even more stupid than that~

Offline SANDRO43

« Reply #158 on: December 13, 2016, 04:34:35 PM »
Worse than that 8). Sluicing the sides with buckets of sea water periodically would abate the ripe aroma somewhat, but then belowdecks in a sailing ship was always rather 'fragrant' ;D. Only the ship's captain had his own, private "restroom" abaft, below through the open door at back centre in the cabin.

And rowing guard boats around the ship at anchor could be hazardous to the unwary :D:

Milan's "Duomo"

Offline alex330

« Reply #159 on: December 13, 2016, 04:59:11 PM »

Pretty normal when out on a boat in rough seas even today. Just hose the deck off.

Offline silversurfer

• Spouse's Country: Russia
« Reply #160 on: March 04, 2017, 06:38:18 PM »
Anna Savich aka Anna Marchenko
Kharkov, Ukraine

I was a dupe.  I was a лох. Here is what happened.

Anna and I were scheduled to be married on June 27 in Kharkov. We were to leave for a honeymoon in Belek, Turkey the day after our wedding.  Two weeks prior to our wedding Anna drops a bomb on me. She wants a marriage contract. This is not the first that I have heard of the Russian/Ukrainian version of a prenuptial agreement. Given the short amount of notice that I had about this agreement I seriously doubt that it would hold up in court. Of course I declined to sign such an agreement. It sounded like a bonanza for a Green Card Girl. She claimed that someone at the car rental place brought this to her attention. I now know this to be a lie. A payout of $50,000 US was mentioned which caused me to let loose with derisive laughter. She said that the lawyer brought up that amount. Since she refused to get married without the contract the wedding was canceled. This was just the beginning of a painful lesson.

Sorry to hear this, but honestly a Marriage Contract is not a terrible idea.
Granted it should be drafted by you with the stipulation that both parties agree to leave amicably if it becomes that bad, with no exchange of assets, no alimony or support for kids that are not yours.
  • Family court in America is a damned joke, there is no tangible judicial oversight. The organization in alleged to be in charge of judicial oversight is staffed by relatives of judges or other individuals who have financial incentives to not crack down upon rogue judges.
  • Additional Factoid, many of the constitutional protections granted to US citizens do not apply in family court (speedy trial, free speech, legal representation etc)
I may be naive and in the minority but if a woman loves you enough to marry you, she's going to have no interested in your bank account. If that is not the case anymore then people like my parents are a dying breed.

Offline Bounder

« Reply #161 on: March 04, 2017, 06:45:41 PM »
Sorry to hear this, but honestly a Marriage Contract is not a terrible idea.
Granted it should be drafted by you with the stipulation that both parties agree to leave amicably if it becomes that bad, with no exchange of assets, no alimony or support for kids that are not yours.
  • Family court in America is a damned joke, there is no tangible judicial oversight. The organization in alleged to be in charge of judicial oversight is staffed by relatives of judges or other individuals who have financial incentives to not crack down upon rogue judges.
  • Additional Factoid, many of the constitutional protections granted to US citizens do not apply in family court (speedy trial, free speech, legal representation etc)
I may be naive and in the minority but if a woman loves you enough to marry you, she's going to have no interested in your bank account. If that is not the case anymore then people like my parents are a dying breed.

I have heard this is not the case with Ukrainian women.

Offline tfcrew

« Reply #162 on: March 04, 2017, 06:53:02 PM »
She said that the lawyer brought up that amount.
So then....marry the lawyer :popcorn:

People are people the world over.
~There is no one more blind than those who refuse to see and none more deaf as those who will not listen~
~Think about the intelligence of the average person and then realize that half of the people are even more stupid than that~

Offline Boethius

• Trips: No Selection
« Reply #163 on: March 04, 2017, 08:14:06 PM »

Your signature is inaccurate. I never stated that.
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline tfcrew

« Reply #164 on: March 05, 2017, 05:27:41 AM »

Your signature is inaccurate. I never stated that.

It is also inappropriate please remove it.

Offline ML

• Trips: > 10
« Reply #165 on: March 05, 2017, 10:31:53 AM »

I was 4 years in US Navy.  I never encountered anyone with a rectangular butt !!
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline jone

« Reply #166 on: March 05, 2017, 10:55:02 AM »
Worse than that 8). Sluicing the sides with buckets of sea water periodically would abate the ripe aroma somewhat, but then belowdecks in a sailing ship was always rather 'fragrant' ;D. Only the ship's captain had his own, private "restroom" abaft, below through the open door at back centre in the cabin.

Ah, the stern of the Ship.  In French, that is 'la poupe', which gave rise to the term, 'poop deck'.  Although named for different reasons, I'm sure.
Kissing girls is a goodness.  It beats the hell out of card games.  - Robert Heinlein

Offline SANDRO43

« Reply #167 on: March 05, 2017, 11:43:21 AM »
Nautical terms are fascinating for their quaintness and varied origin. Take for instance those designating the sides of a ship:

The term starboard derives from the Old English steorbord, meaning the side on which the ship is steered. Before ships had rudders on their centrelines, they were steered with a steering oar at the stern of the ship.
Since the steering oar was on the right side of the boat, it would tie up at wharf on the other side. Hence the left side was called port. Formerly, larboard was used instead of port. This is from Middle-English ladebord and the term lade is related to the modern load.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_and_starboard

The side steering board goes back to the origins of navigation:

Egyptian - Phoenician - Greek - Roman
Milan's "Duomo"

Offline Boethius

« Reply #168 on: March 05, 2017, 02:16:15 PM »
It is also inappropriate please remove it.

Bounder will have to remove it. 

Bounder, both RW and UW come from the same Soviet culture.  There are really no differences between them, although Russians, for the most part, have more financial stability/security.  Anyone who tells you otherwise is lying, and anyone who believes it is a fool.
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline BdHvA

« Reply #169 on: July 03, 2017, 10:00:27 AM »
I would suggest learning the Dutch language, it would help when one needs to "lay out a stern line". Schooner and yawl are from Dutch to describe different rigs. As is sloop and spinnaker. "Begrijp je dat"

Experierence is not what happens to you. It is what you do with what happens to you. A. Huxley

Offline SANDRO43

« Reply #170 on: July 03, 2017, 11:36:27 AM »
I would suggest learning the Dutch language, it would help when one needs to "lay out a stern line". Schooner and yawl are from Dutch to describe different rigs. As is sloop and spinnaker. "Begrijp je dat"
While I agree that many English nautical terms have a Dutch etymology - some an even older Germanic one - I submit it's not worth the effort ;), considering the help one may get from the Internet if necessary.

BTW, my Nautical Glossary (http://www.floriani.it/NauticalGlossary-eng.htm) is now finished: 350 nautical terms, 290 of which illustrated. You'll probably find other terms of Dutch origin there :D.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 11:40:53 AM by SANDRO43 »
Milan's "Duomo"

Offline 2tallbill

• Living the dream
« Reply #171 on: July 03, 2017, 11:55:53 AM »
I was 4 years in US Navy.  I never encountered anyone with a rectangular butt !!

That's the jar heads you were thinking about.  ;)
FSUW are not for entry level daters
FSUW don't do vague
FSUW like a man of action. Be a man of action 
If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane.
There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Just kiss the girl, don't ask her first. Tolerate NO excuses!

Offline BdHvA

« Reply #172 on: July 03, 2017, 01:05:03 PM »
While I agree that many English nautical terms have a Dutch etymology - . . .  I submit it's not worth the effort ;), . . . .

When my wife hears me speaking Dutch she has a hard time not laughing. In private she said Dutch sounds like a farmer with hot potatoes in his mouth who has a tooth ache.

When sailing together asking to trim a line results in her adjusting her bikini. 'Ready about' means she needs sun screen on the other side.
Experierence is not what happens to you. It is what you do with what happens to you. A. Huxley

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541554
Total Topics: 20868
Most Online Today: 1944
Most Online Ever: 12701