It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Departing in 50 minutes for Odessa  (Read 2592 times)

Offline iceshaft07

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 1 - 3
Departing in 50 minutes for Odessa
« on: August 20, 2015, 07:08:55 PM »
I'm flying to Odessa now to pick wifey up. I had to fight with turkish airlines because either Expedia.com or Turkish Airlines never charged me for the ticket... so I learned I didn't have one.

And extra $1000 later, I am not sitting ate the airport.

Offline BillyB

• Trips: > 10
Re: Departing in 50 minutes for Odessa
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2015, 07:23:09 PM »
I had to fight with turkish airlines because either Expedia.com or Turkish Airlines never charged me for the ticket... so I learned I didn't have one.

Had a similar thing happen to me. Bought tickets through GotoRussia.com. Got to the airport and United Airlines said a seat is reserved for me but the travel agent hasn't paid for it. I asked if I could pay for it right now and they said since it's a last minute purchase, it'll be $5000. Fortunately a United airlines manager was kind and gave it to me at the price I bought it from GotoRussia. Now that your tickets are in order for an extra $1000, are you sure wifey's tickets are good? You didn't buy them at the same time, did you?

Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline I/O

• Spouse's Country: Russia
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2015, 07:41:53 PM »
Interesting - I've always found both Expedia and Turkish (separately and combined) to be good.

Offline LAman

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2015, 03:38:24 AM »
Interesting - I've always found both Expedia and Turkish (separately and combined) to be good.

Yea.... but what about iceshaft????
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift

Offline iceshaft07

• Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2015, 06:10:51 AM »
I'm writing about a month after trip.

It turns out my flight from Istanbul to Odessa was delayed because of XZIBIT was doing a concert there. I learned afterwards it was him.

The roads were in much better condition than the last 2 times I visited. It was also much prettier not being there in the winter.

The food in Ukraine makes me viciously poop. So much so, that Olga became (and is still) concerned with my pooping habits. She now asks me if I am pooping every time I use the restroom at home. She also adjusted my diet to include bananas and Activia for poop regulation. This was after receiving advice from my family, after discussing my pooping habits with them.

I'm fairly certain that two bombs went off while I was there. They both happened around midnight. I keep tabs on local news. Nothing was reportds, but I do know that the russians like to blow up "free ukraine" signs in Odessa.

When we entered through passport control, the official laughed because I spoke english and Olga spoke Russian. I think he knew.

In the airport, two other english speakers were departing. Another American, searching for his wife (who took a taxi to Odessa from Mauripol), and a Canadian who was selling shrimp to various countries.

I didn't want people to know I was american. But Olga's sister Irina, found me to give instructions to the canadian about flights.

The minute they knew I was American, they started talking about how much they hated Putin. I have no issues discussing my opinion of Putin...in the United States. But this is not something I want to discuss in Ukraine surrounded by Russians. Olga didn't know what we were talking about, but she was very angry with me because we were talking too loud. Something Americans do.

Every time I visited Odessa, on the street, Olga told me not to talk. I asked her about this, but never got a clear answer from anyone. She says she is worried about ukrainians, or russians knowing that I am American.

After this we finally boarded the plan. Once an English speaker knows you speak English they swarm to you. I warned Olga, but she didn't get it.

Because of turkish airlines screwing up my flights, Olga and I had to sit apart from eachother. She kept looking back at me for assurance. I was very proud of her.

We finally landed. And turkish airlines did not delivery ANY of our bags. Olga arrived with only her wedding dress. We had to wait 3 days before she had anything. It might have been as well, because I didn't need to explain the Russian medicines in my bag to customs.

There's nothing like being in a country where your too afraid to speak, and then coming back to America. You feel the freedom after you exit the airport.

Offline jone

• Spouse's Country: Russia
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2015, 08:25:49 AM »
Nice TR, Iceshaft.
Kissing girls is a goodness.  It beats the hell out of card games.  - Robert Heinlein

Offline ML

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2015, 08:39:11 AM »
I got lost.  Ice started out talking about flight from Istanbul to Odessa . . . but then at the end . . . the flight landed in USA.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541327
Total Topics: 20860
Most Online Today: 2843
Most Online Ever: 12701