It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Silicon Valley/SF Bay Area  (Read 21875 times)

Offline billsetnor

Silicon Valley/SF Bay Area
« on: September 06, 2006, 08:33:36 PM »

Just a quick note to see if any of you around here might want to meet sometime in the future.

I coordinated the Local Group under the old ownership at RWGuide, and we had the most active Local Group in the country, getting together every 3 months or so for about 2 years.  There are a number of married guys here, along with a few with RW agency experience, and I've been thinking about socializing under the RWD banner.

So, if any of you would be interested in getting together for, say, Sunday brunch at a future date, please reply to this thread, or send me a personal e-mail with appropriate contact information.

Bill Setnor
San Jose, CA

Offline jinx13

Re: Silicon Valley/SF Bay Area
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2006, 04:21:59 PM »
  Hi Bill,  my Ukrainian girlfriend lives in San Jose, I'm in Brentwood, you know when you watch the weather on the news and it's always the hottest place? That's Brentwood (east bay) I'm originally friom San Jose, and all my family is still there.

I have a question, are most of the people in your group older, married couples? My g/f is 21, and obviously we aren't married, but maybe it would be fun to hook up with some locals with shared interests, knowledge and language for the girls.

When do you meet, and where do you go for these meetings? Let me know, maybe we can get together with you all sometime. She is in Ukriane now visiting family, but will be back at the end of Sept.  Anyway, let me know, thanks  - Dave

Offline billsetnor

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2006, 05:28:27 PM »
Dave,

Thanks for the reply and interest.

Our RWG Local Group was a mix.  The guys tended to be in their 40's, with the wives mid-to-late 20's.  I don't recall any Ukrainian ladies; most all of them were Russian.  However, I do have a St. Pete couple, both in their 20's (he in software, she a PhD in American language (idioms), with a 1-year old daughter.  We also had some younger single guys drop in, looking for advice.  Plus, we had a couple of guys who've been in the agency business come in and share their wisdom.

Our first gathering was a Saturday evening up in Foster City.  After that, we moved down this way, usually meeting at The Cheesecake Factory at the Valley Fair Mall on Stevens Creek Blvd., for Sunday brunch.  We had anywhere from 6 - 16 people show up, which was decent for conversation and getting to know each other.

With Dan's permission, if we do get together, I'd see it happening sometime in October or November, before the Holiday crunch.

But, I'd like to hear from at least a handful more guys before setting a location and date.  In the meantime, let me know your own preferences, and we'll take it from there.

Bill

Offline TwoBitBandit

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2006, 10:38:13 PM »
I'm all up for the next meeting in Silicon Valley... it would be great to see everyone again and trade war stories.

Bill, I can help organize if you'd like...  I know it takes a lot of time to get everyone together and do all the legwork...

Offline Marc Dayton

• Commercial Member
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2006, 05:12:54 PM »
Well hello Bill, good to see you are still at it, you can count me in. I will always be glad to help out?

Bad boy Marc-Lifetime Partners

Offline TwoBitBandit

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2007, 12:36:51 AM »
There's a ski trip to Lake Tahoe being organized on March 16-19 by someone at (ahem) another chat board.  It looks like there will be a mix of couples and singles.

PM me if you're interested in the link.

Offline billsetnor

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2007, 07:22:41 PM »
TwoBit,

Thanks for the update. 

Even though the ski trip is being run off another board, do you think it would be a good idea to have our own get-together either before or after that trip?  March will mark 2 years since the last RWG Local Event we had in Santa Clara at Marc's old office.

What do you guys say?

Bill

Offline jinx13

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2007, 07:40:50 PM »
 Nataly and I would be up for it. She is dying for some Russian company right now. Last night she heard an older couple speaking Russian at the local Trader Joes, she practically jumped on them! They have a 20 year old daughter, and they live nearby, so hopefully she can speak with her, and be friends.

Cheesecake factory sounds good, Nataly loves that place. I would like to meet Two Bit, we have both been to Volgograd so we can swap stories. Tahoe doesn't sound bad either, let us know what you guys decide.  - Dave

Offline TwoBitBandit

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2007, 10:27:17 PM »
Bill, like I told you on email a few months ago... I'm definitely interested if you want to organize something at any time... I'll even help you organize if needed.

Offline billsetnor

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2007, 07:39:33 PM »
   Pardon the late reply, but I was in D.C. this past week, attending my brother's retirement ceremony from the Air Force.

Well, we're low on quantity, but high on quality of guys.

The first Sunday in March is the 4th, which gives us just over 4 weeks to drum up some interest and contact some of our former RWG brethren, along with any RWD members who can come.  I don't want too big of a crowd, but I would like to have enough folks there so, hopefully, Nataly would find some compatible Slavic ladies to meet and talk with.

Generally, we met around 11:00 AM, just before the lunchtime crowd hits The Factory, and the parking is better.  Figure we keep it going until at least 1:00 PM (or later, as folks break up for individual talks).

If that's agreeable with you guys, let's do it.  Otherwise, if you have another date or time to suggest, feel free.

Bill

Offline catzenmouse

• Victory Park - Omsk
  • Trips: No Selection
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2007, 07:42:03 PM »
Bill,

You missed a grand opportunity while in DC to meet several of our members. DaKnack, Son Of Clyde, and Patrick all live right there. Damn shame that you didn't try to hook up.
"Marriage is that relation between man and woman in which the independence is equal, the dependence mutual, and the obligation reciprocal."
-- Louis K. Anspacher

Offline jinx13

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2007, 07:50:58 PM »
 Bill, sounds good to me, Sunday works too. The Cheesecake Factory you meet at is in Valley Fair mall?

Nataly has a Ukrainian g/f down there, we might bring her along too, but not if it's only couples. Hopefully Two Bit will come too, look forward to meeting you guys, let me know any updates, thanks  David

Offline TwoBitBandit

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2007, 10:50:41 PM »
I'm in for the March 4.  See you there.

Offline billsetnor

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2007, 01:28:27 PM »
   Okay then, we'll stick with March 4 at The Cheesecake Factory, around 11:00 AM.

All I ask is for you guys to contact anyone and everyone you personally know who might be interested in showing up.

Please ask for RSVP's, so I have some idea of how many are coming.  That way, when I show up at The Factory, I can give them an approximate number, so they can set aside enough chairs and tables (they don't take reservations, unfortunately).

Dan has already promised to broadcast the get-together in other parts of the website.

Jinx, no problem with singles coming.  We've normally had a core group of couples, but most who showed up were single guys interested in the process of meeting and marrying a lovely Slavic lady.  If she's already here, so much the better (hopefully, for her).

Gotta get to work.  Talk to you later.

Bill

Offline billsetnor

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2007, 03:25:22 PM »
   I forgot to clarify that, yes, The Cheesecake Factory is at the Westfield/Valley Fair Mall on Stevens Creek Blvd in Santa Clara/San Jose.  Easy freeway access, either off 880/17 or 280.  You can look up their website and find a map, if you need it.

For any of you who are reading this, if you're thinking about coming, PLEASE RSVP me, as I need an approximate number of attendees to give to the staff at The C-Factory, since they do not accept reservations.  I want to make sure they provide us with adequate seating before their lunch-hour crowd pours into the place.

Questions can be sent to me here at RWD, or to my e-mail addresses:

billsetnor@yahoo.com
                                   billsetnor@hotmail.com
                                   billsetnor@gmail.com

Or, you can leave a message on my voicemail at (408) 802-4190.

March 4 is the first Sunday before International Women's Day.  So, for those of you with wives/girlfriends from the FSU, I hope this will be an opportunity to honor your ladies with us before the big day.

Stay tuned for further announcements...

Bill

Online 2tallbill

• Living the dream
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2007, 12:10:42 AM »
Count me in

Bill
FSUW are not for entry level daters
FSUW don't do vague
FSUW like a man of action. Be a man of action 
If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane.
There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Just kiss the girl, don't ask her first. Tolerate NO excuses!

Offline billsetnor

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2007, 03:04:15 PM »
   Glad you can join us, 2tall.

Just received a RSVP from Ron (Ronin to all you RWG refugees) and his lovely wife Elena, originally from Tver.

Ron is an excellent source of guidance on the RW process (just ask TwoBit), and I'm looking forward to seeing Ron and Elena in 3 weeks.

Bill

Offline billsetnor

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2007, 03:36:03 PM »
   Looks like we have two more couples coming:

Gorden (Typhoon from RWG) and his wife Svetlana (from Omsk) have just celebrated their 2nd anniversary, and live in the Santa Cruz mountains.

Catherine and Paul (Pavel) are both from St. Petersburg.  Catherine has been teaching American men language and social skills relevant to their search for a wife from the FSU.  Paul is a software guy.

We've had a good number of people reading this thread.  Again, I ask any of you who are interested to PLEASE RSVP or call my voicemail number above, so I can make sure we have adequate tables and chairs at The Cheesecake Factory.  Thanks.

See you next week.

Bill

Offline billsetnor

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2007, 12:29:45 PM »
One More Thing...

For those of you who are joining us this Sunday, please bring along a digital camera, if you own one.  Normally, we post a few pics on the board when we get together, as long as folks are willing.

See you all on Sunday!

Bill

Offline jinx13

« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2007, 12:49:27 PM »
 Bill,

Nataly and I will be there, but we could be a little late, we have a long drive, never know what traffic will be like. It will just be the two of us, looking forward to meeting you all.  See you on Sunday!   - David and Nataly

Backed down to warned status

Offline billsetnor

« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2007, 04:39:29 PM »
   Well, we did have a nice get-together, 10 folks in all.  Nataly was able to connect with Ronin's Elena and Catherine from St. Petersburg (with a brief appearance by Catherine's husband Pavel and their lovely daughter Victoria, the spitting image of her mother, by the way).  And tootallbill, TwoBitBandit, jinx, Ronin and I got to share stories and catch up with each other after these past 2 years.  I had to leave after 1:00 PM, and the conversations were still going strong.

We've decided at this time to meet again around September.  Anyone who's interested in our next meeting, please send me a personal e-mail address, and I'll post you up on where and when it'll happen.

Thanks to Dan for his support and broadcasting over his various websites.

Da svedana.

Bill

Offline Son of Clyde

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: No Selection
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2007, 06:13:36 PM »
I am due a short vacation and was considering California. Was going to take it in April but ran short of annual leave. Maybe by the time of the meeting I will be ready. I may be traveling solo depending on prices of flights and how busy my wife may be. I can bring lots of pictures though. I am really wanting to see the left coast.

Offline SFandEE

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2010, 03:48:36 PM »
Hoping to get this section active again.  We have a fun Russian and Ukrainian community here in the Bay Area.  Probably not as big a NY, LA, or Miami, but still sizable.  I understand there is a large Ukrainian community in Sacramento/Carmichael area.

I have friends from these countries and for culture I like to go to ZZgor events.  Usually there is something going on at Avalon in San Jose, the Independent, or Club Cocomo in SF.

I am San Francisco area--where are you?

Would love to find people who are making a go of their adventurous relationship!
"I don't feel tardy"

Offline Gylden

• Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2010, 03:53:00 PM »
Funny,
I did most of my growing up in Sunnyvale. Still have good friends there.
 :)

Offline SFandEE

« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2010, 08:24:14 PM »
I am down there quite a bit for friends and business.  One of my best friends from Russia is down there.  She is the strongest voice of concern about meeting a woman from Ukraine or Russia.  I can't share too many details about her for privacy concerns.  She is a good person in a non-traditional relationship, so it makes me very aware that not all relationships are bad or good, just meet the needs of both people.

Thanks for your positive interactions.  Looks like you are in Norway now.  How is that going?
"I don't feel tardy"

Offline Sculpto

« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2010, 03:00:42 PM »
Hey SFandEE.. I live in San Francisco...

There is an awesome show coming up at Cocomo.. Potap and Nastya.. its their first tour to the USA..  a bit pricey at $50 a ticket but certainly doable.. I will be there..

there is a large Ukrainian community in Sacto.. they seem pretty isolated though.. meaning not that much interaction with the larger community around them.

There are a few other venues I know about but would prefer to keep quiet about because right now I am the only American in a room with dozens of FSU ladies and not many men .. the ratio is working real well for me..

Offline BillyB

« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2010, 03:17:45 PM »
There are a few other venues I know about but would prefer to keep quiet about because right now I am the only American in a room with dozens of FSU ladies and not many men .. the ratio is working real well for me..

What does your fiancee who's coming to America say about that?

In your previous post a few minutes ago, one reason you were disgusted with Mars was because he was seeing multiple women.

Months ago before you were temporarily banned, you announced on the forum I must be a dishonest guy for dating a few women at a time.

It's all bad unless you do it. :rolleyes2:
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline SFandEE

« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2010, 03:49:12 PM »
Thanks for the tip 2012.  I found some of the details June 18.  Will look into it a bit more.  Hope it works out that we get a chance to meet sometime at one of these events.

Other than Cafe Cocomo I have also seen some performances at The Independent and The Avalon.  The best by far though was Leningrad over at the Avalon in San Jose.  Great crowd, great group, and everyone had a blast! 

Are you going to the show?
"I don't feel tardy"

Offline Sculpto

« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2010, 06:22:40 PM »
Hi SF..

I am planning on going to see Potap and Nastya.  I have checked out a pretty large assortment of their discography and they sound pretty good so it should be a fun event. 

Offline SFandEE

« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2010, 06:33:52 PM »
The response from my UW/RW friends is that it will be a fun night!  I plan to be there.

Read most of your post about Sacramento--that seemed to go very well.  If you are on Mambu.ru how do you get Real status?  I send my phone number, but they don't send the code back.  I notice some in US have the Real status, so it has to be doable.
"I don't feel tardy"

Offline Sculpto

« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2010, 08:59:38 PM »
Lets stay in touch about the Cocomo show.. I will most likely bring my new squeeze.. I think that would be an awesome surprise for her.

I have no idea about how to get "real" status.  I think the phone verification works for some and not for others.  Maybe you can get someone in the FSU to receive the call for you?

Offline TwoBitBandit

« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2010, 12:27:08 AM »
I tried a handful of methods involving international SMS messages to get "real" status on mamba and they all failed.

I finally was able to get "real" status after I added a small amount of money (like $10) to my account with a credit card.  Apparently, the act of adding money to the account gives you real status and allows you to bypass all the silliness with SMS messages.

Offline SFandEE

« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2010, 05:22:30 PM »
Thanks TBB!  Great tip.  It worked.  Do you know anything about Mamboo?  Or other sites that are good to meet RW/UW here in the States?  Thanks again.

I have heard that people use these sites to meet women over in Ukraine or Russia, but this has been great for meeting nice women here!
"I don't feel tardy"

Offline TwoBitBandit

« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2010, 05:44:11 PM »
Mamba is the #1 Russian-language site.  You might also try LovePlanet.ru but I've never used it.

Awhile ago I found this ranking of Russian-language dating sites:

MAMBA.RU
Users - 9 857 696
http://www.mamba.ru/

24Open.RU
Users  - 2 134 419
http://www.24open.ru/

DATING.RU
Users  - 1 398 431
http://dating.ru/

MAYBE.RU
Users - 506 964,
http://www.maybe.ru/

LovePlanet.RU
Users - 12 374 614
http://loveplanet.ru/

DAMOCHKA.RU
Users - 2 000 000
http://damochka.ru/

OMEN.RU
Users  - 64 381
http://omen.ru/

Offline SFandEE

« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2010, 06:17:25 PM »
Lets stay in touch about the Cocomo show.. I will most likely bring my new squeeze.. I think that would be an awesome surprise for her.

I have no idea about how to get "real" status.  I think the phone verification works for some and not for others.  Maybe you can get someone in the FSU to receive the call for you?

Let's do keep in touch.  I haven't purchased ticket yet, but have friends who are going.  Want to confirm with them the plan.
"I don't feel tardy"

Offline SFandEE

« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2010, 06:18:22 PM »
Mamba is the #1 Russian-language site.  You might also try LovePlanet.ru but I've never used it.

Awhile ago I found this ranking of Russian-language dating sites:

MAMBA.RU
Users - 9 857 696
http://www.mamba.ru/

24Open.RU
Users  - 2 134 419
http://www.24open.ru/

DATING.RU
Users  - 1 398 431
http://dating.ru/

MAYBE.RU
Users - 506 964,