It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Easteren Washington State  (Read 6737 times)

Offline robertjay

Easteren Washington State
« on: January 19, 2007, 12:45:22 AM »
Hello, My name is Robert, I have not married yet but will in the near future. I thought it prudent to start now looking for contacts in my state or nearby, for support and friendship for me and my future Ukrainian bride. I feel it would be better to start now than wait tell she arrives, to find people that would share her Ukrainian culture and maybe help her if she is having trouble adjusting to her new country. I would rather be prepared now ;D Than not being prepared later :-[
To me this is something that any man wishing to marry a woman from the FSU should do for his wife.  Prepare a network to help her establish new friends and understanding that maybe the new American husband cannot provide for her in the beginning of the marriage. Would this be the right thing to do? I am not ashamed to admit that help may be needed and I am willing to ask.
I have been reading everything I can on RWD about every aspect of marriage. This is the best site on the net and all the people seem very open and friendly. My personal e mail is rjpercifield@charter.net for anyone that would like to contact me. I wish to thank everyone who has taken time to read my post. Robertjay
Robertjay

Offline ScottinCrimea

Re: Easteren Washington State
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2007, 01:48:11 AM »
Hi Robertjay,
     Welcome!  I hope I can help just a little.  While she may feel the need to have Russian friends to speak with initially, this will decrease with time and she will prefer friends who have more in common, no matter the language.  When I first moved to Ukraine I sought out other Americans, looked for things American, etc but over time this has pretty much stopped. If her English is adequate, more important to introduce her to American friends who you feel she has something in common with and who will be patient and understanding with her differences in language and culture.  After she has been there awhile she will know what things she misses such as foods, etc (be sure to ask her about this a few months down the road) and you can find a way to get them for her.  This is a small gesture that can make a big difference.  Also, take some Russian courses if you can.

Offline TexasBoar

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2007, 09:30:28 AM »
I don't know if they are Ukrainian or Russian, but my understanding is that there is now a large FSU immigrant population in the Spokane area . . . lovely town; lived there about 8 years myself.  When I left, in '96, a dozen families had been resettled in the Spokane valley/Northern Idaho area under some kind of federally-assisted program and from what I've read in the last six months on boards like this one, quite a few families have joined them since then.  By now there must surely be markets and churches and such there.

~Boar

Offline robertjay

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2007, 09:52:24 PM »
Scott & Boar, Thanks for the replies, Boar, I live south of Spokane about 120 miles. Have a daughter that lives in the Valley I will have her check and see what she can find out for me.
I was not looking so much for long term friendships, I was looking more for short term help in her adjustment if needed. This does not mean that long term friendships are not wanted :) Its just that if a problem did arise that could easily be solved with a little assistance from someone nearby it sure would be a bonus. Robertjay
Robertjay

Offline Muj

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Re: Eastern Washington State
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2007, 07:18:44 PM »
Hi RobertJay,

Welcome to the board!  My wife calls her relatives often and so fufills her Russian conversing needs. Other women may need differently.  We are open to meeting new couples with similar marriage experience.  Robert, please PM for contact info. :)

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541328
Total Topics: 20861
Most Online Today: 2843
Most Online Ever: 12701