It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Coronavirus, how are you preparing for it and how it is affecting you so far?  (Read 439416 times)

Offline msmob

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
That doesn't answer my question but since you're hesitant to criticize the fake news media you love, it's apparent they are making stuff up about Boris embracing the herd immunity approach.

Silly BillyB,

1/ I'm not interested in answering your daft question

2/ Other than you and The  UK's Sun getting it spot on re the Iranian mistake in shooting down the UA airliner your 'record' on spotting what is 'fake news' is not exactly 'stellar'  ...   

You've exhausted my indulgence for the needy for today ...

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
  • Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 4 - 10
No coming down the other side of the virus curve for Italy and the rest of mainland Europe:

http://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/articles/2020-04-09/spain-italy-to-extend-lockdowns-amid-persistent-rise-in-cases

http://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8205347/amp/Italy-sees-number-new-coronavirus-deaths-rise-infections-tally-increase-4-000.html

BC continues to live in the European epicentre of the pandemic in an economy that is increasingly failing. Looks like things are only going to go from bad to worse there as it all falls apart. Meanwhile Italy's PM is now fed up with the EU and ready to quit.
"If you make your own bread, then and only then, are you a free man unchained and alive living in pooty tang paradise, or say no and live in Incel island with all the others." - Krimster

Online 2tallbill

• Living the dream
Coronavirus, how are you preparing for it and how it is affecting you so far?
« Reply #2027 on: April 09, 2020, 04:48:52 PM »
Dutch woman aged 107 survives coronavirus
http://news.trust.org/item/20200409105042-6t3s2
FSUW are not for entry level daters
FSUW don't do vague
FSUW like a man of action. Be a man of action 
If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane.
There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Just kiss the girl, don't ask her first. Tolerate NO excuses!

Offline BillyB

21 yo Canadian gives her account of the 2+ month lockdown in Wuhan and ongoing restrictions on travel even with the lockdown lifted. She wanted to take an emergency flight out of China back to Canada but they wouldn't take her cat so she decided to stay with the cat in China.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/lifestyle-buzz/a-21-year-old-canadian-woman-stayed-in-wuhan-because-she-didnt-want-to-abandon-her-cat-the-lockdown-just-lifted-but-shes-still-fenced-in/ar-BB12pada?ocid=spartanntp
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
21 yo Canadian gives her account of the 2+ month lockdown in Wuhan and ongoing restrictions on travel even with the lockdown lifted. She wanted to take an emergency flight out of China back to Canada but they wouldn't take her cat so she decided to stay with the cat in China.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/lifestyle-buzz/a-21-year-old-canadian-woman-stayed-in-wuhan-because-she-didnt-want-to-abandon-her-cat-the-lockdown-just-lifted-but-shes-still-fenced-in/ar-BB12pada?ocid=spartanntp

Most likely what we'll have to move to at some point in quarentining the whole population here in the west. I think Italy & Spain would most likely move to this first as their lockdowns aren't quite having the desired affect they had hoped for on the virus. That's if they don't crack first, with all the food & money shortages out there it looks like they are on the brink of full scale revolt. I hope BC is digging extra deep for the charity box, for his sake!
"If you make your own bread, then and only then, are you a free man unchained and alive living in pooty tang paradise, or say no and live in Incel island with all the others." - Krimster

Offline msmob

BC continues to live in the European epicentre of the pandemic in an economy that is increasingly failing. Looks like things are only going to go from bad to worse there as it all falls apart. Meanwhile Italy's PM is now fed up with the EU and ready to quit.

I wasn't aware Southern Italy was an epicentre, any more than Dorset in the UK ..

The Dutch PM wasn't the only northern EU leader whose nation had been prudent putting aside 'rainy day' funding ..

Trench hasn't read the news ..

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/euro-finance-ministers-agree-500bn-package-to-address-pandemic-fallout-1.4225472

Euro finance ministers agree €500bn package to address pandemic fallout
Merkel and Macron intervene to secure accord between Italy and Netherlands

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
I wasn't aware Southern Italy was an epicentre, any more than Dorset in the UK ..

The Dutch PM wasn't the only northern EU leader whose nation had been prudent putting aside 'rainy day' funding ..

Trench hasn't read the news ..

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/euro-finance-ministers-agree-500bn-package-to-address-pandemic-fallout-1.4225472

Euro finance ministers agree €500bn package to address pandemic fallout
Merkel and Macron intervene to secure accord between Italy and Netherlands

I read it, pure idiocy from the EU again. Where are they going to magic this €500bn from? It's going to be a massive loan that will sink the EU for good. None of its members either jointly or between a few of them have the money to repay it especially now a big global recession is predicted.

Offline Grumpy

• Spouse's Country: Moldova
  • Trips: None (yet)
Just follow this advise

Good women are not cheap
Cheap women are not good
(but they can be a lot of fun)

Offline msmob

Just follow this adviCe

Trench STILL will think this doesn't apply to him...

Utterly brilliant...What an artist..

Offline BC

What Trench does not seem to understand is that everything is secondary to the virus, and that the virus picks the timeline, not us.  The rest, economy etc is in our hands and seems agreement has been made on much of it.

Instead of picking articles, he should look at the data when saying stuff like "No coming down the other side of the virus curve for Italy and the rest of mainland Europe:", so far it is simply not true.  We knew that the lockdown would be extended long ago, so no surprise there either. We can all see how much progress we are making, that the lockdown seems to be working by the numbers and that we'll just have to be patient for however long it will take.

Offline msmob

I read it, pure idiocy from the EU again. Where are they going to magic this €500bn from? It's going to be a massive loan that will sink the EU for good. None of its members either jointly or between a few of them have the money to repay it especially now a big global recession is predicted.

Sighs,

Where is the UK's magic money tree ?  I missed you asking THAT ?

These were EUROzone nations - The UK wasn't a member of the Euro..  nor are Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Hungary, Poland, Romania and Sweden

Offline Gator

We can all see how much progress we are making, that the lockdown seems to be working by the numbers and that we'll just have to be patient for however long it will take.

How long?!?!  This disease will not disappear.  It will go from pandemic to endemic.   

Getting back to work will involve a level of risk, simply because zero risk is unattainable without a vaccine. 

Living with this disease may require a change in social attitude as well as changes in behavior.  When building America, people faced everyday the risk of smallpox, yellow fever, cholera, typhoid, polio.....They did not hide.   The government help was modest.   

Offline BillyB

There's a  96% drop in air travel.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/news/airlines-and-tsa-report-96percent-drop-in-air-travel/ar-BB12oRY8?ocid=spartanntp

80% of the hotel rooms are empty. Even if a vaccine comes out, it'll be awhile before life gets back to normal. Government may decide to let some of the hotel chains and airline companies go out of business. Government can't keep them afloat forever.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/news/about-80-of-hotel-rooms-in-the-us-are-empty-amid-the-coronavirus-pandemic-new-data-says/ar-BB12nCKC?ocid=spartanntp

A third of the people on ventilators will survive. Some that survive may not recover fully. Marathon runner tells of his experience on ventilator. He's glad he didn't get a tracheostomy like some people need.

http://www.yahoo.com/news/44-old-marathon-runner-says-064239612.html

Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline Nightwish

I do think once everything starts running again most companies (still alive that is) will bounce back quite quickly, it's a built up demand and a urge in people to start travelling again, and I have a hunch it will go off with a bang once society opens up.

Not saying it will be the best scenario, but I think that is what will happen, especially among younger people who think they are invincible
Multitasking means screwing up several things at once.

Offline Gator

Currently, about 1 of 700 Americans has been infected by COVID-19.  Let's assume we go back to work, and over the next year  2 of 10 adults in your local community become infected.   Would your local hospitals be able to treat the sick? 

This question is answered for each zip code in the US:   

http://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/investigations/coronavirus-hospitals-data/?utm_campaign=wp_to_your_health&utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter&wpisrc=nl_tyh&wpmk=1

Offline BillyB

Those that recover from the virus are told they can go back to work without fear since there's a belief they acquired immunity from the virus. 51 South Koreans who once had the virus now have it again.

http://news.yahoo.com/south-korea-reported-51-coronavirus-234800214.html?messageId=0f5c5d29-74aa-455b-a35c-4e04ea4f7dbd&replyId=0ad400db-12e8-4000-bdd2-1b381a9d1db5&bcmt=1&.tsrc=bell-canvass

Offline BillyB

Muscovites think they're New Yorkers. An estimated 10% Muscovites flee Moscow. It is legal for citizens to leave Moscow but like what happened in America, they could spread the virus quicker to other parts of the country.

http://www.yahoo.com/news/muscovites-flee-coronavirus-shutdown-bringing-172149327.html

Offline msmob

Muscovites think they're New Yorkers. An estimated 10% Muscovites flee Moscow. It is legal for citizens to leave Moscow but like what happened in America, they could spread the virus quicker to other parts of the country.

http://www.yahoo.com/news/muscovites-flee-coronavirus-shutdown-bringing-172149327.html

..and where are they going, in Russia,  BillyB ..?

Those who know about Russia will have read than many Oblasts ( regions) have banned Moscowvites ( and folks from Piter) from entering ..

( in Russian ) http://meduza.io/feature/2020/04/09/kakie-regiony-vveli-karantin-dlya-priezzhih-iz-moskvy-i-sankt-peterburga-spisok

May be next week ... as some Oblasts - like SC's will lift many restrictions ..  WTF ?  ... 'VVP says, " the economy cannot be stopped"

We saw how well THAT worked for Japan... 

( also in Russian)
http://meduza.io/feature/2020/04/10/na-fone-rosta-chisla-zabolevshih-covid-19-rossiyskie-vlasti-razreshili-regionam-oslabit-karantin-tak-oni-hotyat-sekonomit-dengi

« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 11:44:17 AM by msmob »

Offline BC

How long?!?!  This disease will not disappear.  It will go from pandemic to endemic.   

Long enough so that numbers get so low that we are able to effectively test and chase it down.  In other words what we should have been doing since the first infections.

I posted a bit back that if Italy had implemented the lockdown a week earlier, maybe we'd have half the number of infected and deaths.  I estimate 15 per million can explode and quickly go exponential.  A 'tolerable' number we could control would, of course, be much less than that.

We have the technology and means to be able to live with a relatively acceptable level of risk. Is it unreasonable for even employers to require regular testing?  Not feasible? We already do more than ten million drug tests per year in the US so what excuse do we have not to?

The more effective and efficiently we do what we can do, the quicker we can all get back to work.

Offline BillyB

My younger son works at a fast food restaurant. They have less business since only the drive thru can remain open but they maintain the same amount of employees so they can qualify for the government program that pays business to keep working their employees. It's probably cheaper for the government to keep working than to have them go on unemployment with their businesses filing for bankruptcy.

I use a CPAP( continuous positive airway pressure) machine so I don't snore. My wife is a light sleeper. Got to keep her happy. I was wondering if a CPAP would help with those having a hard time breathing from COVID-19. I was surprised to find out CPAPs are actually being used in NY, China, Italy and other countries. About half the people having a hard time breathing don't need a ventilator and a CPAP is enough for them. CPAPs are also much cheaper. If any of you get COVID-19 and decide to battle it at home instead of a hospital, it would be beneficial for you to have your own CPAP.

http://aasm.org/coronavirus-covid-19-faqs-cpap-sleep-apnea-patients/

http://www.wfla.com/community/health/coronavirus/clearwater-company-donates-2500-cpap-machines-to-fight-covid-19/

Offline SteveInBoston

• Trips: 1 - 3
An interesting video about how South Korea was able to manage and contain the virus:

Offline SteveInBoston

• Trips: 1 - 3
My younger son works at a fast food restaurant. They have less business since only the drive thru can remain open but they maintain the same amount of employees so they can qualify for the government program that pays business to keep working their employees. It's probably cheaper for the government to keep working than to have them go on unemployment with their businesses filing for bankruptcy.

I use a CPAP( continuous positive airway pressure) machine so I don't snore. My wife is a light sleeper. Got to keep her happy. I was wondering if a CPAP would help with those having a hard time breathing from COVID-19. I was surprised to find out CPAPs are actually being used in NY, China, Italy and other countries. About half the people having a hard time breathing don't need a ventilator and a CPAP is enough for them. CPAPs are also much cheaper. If any of you get COVID-19 and decide to battle it at home instead of a hospital, it would be beneficial for you to have your own CPAP.

http://aasm.org/coronavirus-covid-19-faqs-cpap-sleep-apnea-patients/

http://www.wfla.com/community/health/coronavirus/clearwater-company-donates-2500-cpap-machines-to-fight-covid-19/

If anyone is at a point of the disease where you need breathing assistance, please go to the hospital. Do not try to tough it out at home and risk your life with home remedies.

Offline Gator

Long enough so that numbers get so low that we are able to effectively test and chase it down.  In other words what we should have been doing since the first infections.....Is it unreasonable for even employers to require regular testing?

Yet, many people are still working today.  Otherwise our food stores would be empty.   Hospitals are receiving PPE and other supplies,  and there is talk we can soon send our surplus to nations in need.   

There are other examples of where the supply chain is functioning and for sure we do not have "regular testing."  Thus, I assert the risk of working is manageable today, or otherwise workers would be dropping like flies and a panic for stuff other than toilet paper would sweep through the land.  So why not develop a plan to transition the opening of other industries?   

Clearly businesses where customers congregate are not ready to open today, yet maybe some public health procedures could be developed to reduce risks as testing is scaled up to a "regular basis."   

The estimates are for 2-3 months of  25+ million unemployed workers.  The economy experts may say this is something we can recover from, yet how long would that recovery take, especially if 2-3 months becomes longer?  Which world do we want?   A low risk world yet the economy is suffering.    Or a working world with an endemic level of this disease killing far less of us than cancer and heart disease.   

Offline BC

An interesting video about how South Korea was able to manage and contain the virus:

Indeed that is how it should work, and does in other countries like Germany. Although a lot of testing has been done here, due to the great numbers of infections real tracing has not been effective.  I am confident it will be part of the program being developed during the transiting from lockdown back to a more normal life.  Part of the problem is getting all the reagents.  Italy has a huge test kit production capacity and ability to run the tests, but the reagents are still too scarce to move into more widespread testing.  Hopefully, that will change soon as well.

Offline BC

There are other examples of where the supply chain is functioning and for sure we do not have "regular testing."  Thus, I assert the risk of working is manageable today, or otherwise workers would be dropping like flies and a panic for stuff other than toilet paper would sweep through the land.  So why not develop a plan to transition the opening of other industries?   

Clearly businesses where customers congregate are not ready to open today, yet maybe some public health procedures could be developed to reduce risks as testing is scaled up to a "regular basis."   

Gator,

Companies like Amazon might not agree with your assessment.  Other biggies that can afford such will certainly do the same.  It not only protects the public but reduces its own risks to the workforce. 

http://www.theverge.com/2020/4/10/21216076/amazon-test-lab-covid-19-coronavirus-pandemic

Think of how many billions or even trillions were spent and are still being spent against another enemy terrorism.  We cannot do the same for a tiny virus that has killed many more and is still churning?

Groceries are obviously a necessity and grocers are to a large extent taking all kinds of precautions.  Heck, even our local pharmacy put up cough shields at the counters.  Isolation efforts have severely limited our contact to only a very limited number of people.  That is not 'business as usual'.  On a normal shopping tour in the US I would visit at least 4-5 stores, getting meat at Fresh Market, then head to Walmart, Harris Teeter, then Maybe Food Lion or Publix for a couple of items Teeter does not carry etc, maybe even hit BK or Wendy's cause seeing all that food made me hungry.  Today I would go to only one store, wait in line to get in, rush through my shopping list and head to self-checkout and home.  Not very good for the economy.

The only way to get over this is to do it right the first time, that can also prevent a rebound and be much more prepared for the next virus that comes along.  Anything less is foolhardy.

So everyone is talking about 'curve'... ok so what's next? What's the plan?

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 540998
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 10
Guests: 1974
Total: 1984

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Brillynt
Today at 06:16:36 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:20:42 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:12:54 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:02:12 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 08:45:42 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 07:59:27 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 07:04:53 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 06:59:45 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 06:57:42 PM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 06:36:52 PM