It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: UK TV in America - back in time ..  (Read 1255 times)

Offline msmob

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
UK TV in America - back in time ..
« on: September 06, 2018, 07:27:22 PM »
Can you guys help me out here ? !

Back in the late eighties and early nineties I was a much more frequent visitor to the US - mainly California ( San Diego, SF Bay Area) and Florida ... I worked in Media Comms tech - buying stuff from the US as the Dollar / Sterling rate was more attractive.

Some ancient Greek chap is trying to suggest that back then US cable channels took live feeds from the BBC and ITV ( a channel relying on advertising revenue )

Given that such a scenario would have meant a permanent SAT feed link from the UK to US - VERY expensive in those days - and even CNN didn't start doing such things from other countries ( who was the only channel giving live feeds from Baghdad during the first Gulf War hours )

I'm TRYING to point out that only taped content was used ... but hey ..

Offline GQBlues

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: None (yet)
Re: UK TV in America - back in time ..
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2018, 08:35:03 AM »
Can you guys help me out here ? !..

I'll try but admit it'll be a stretch as that's a long time ago...

What I remember is, in the LA market, cable TV were a premium 'subscriber' options. Companies I remember were ONTV, Z Channel, American/Rainbow channel IIRC. The latter was the one that provided feeds from BBC. You're provider a decoder, and your TV had to be tuned to channel 3.

None of these cable channels provided 24 hr/TV. Schedules were announced on public TV, or in their own monthly schedule magazines. They earn their revenue via subscribers, and thus the highlight of their campaign were the channels were commercial free. Like Sirius/XFM on radios today.

The only 'live' feed BBC showed were current news broadcast. I remember this because it was during the Falklands' war. They reported news live...then would show tapes. But even then, they're signed off the majority of the day.

Today, BBC-America broadcast live news and market report in a certain time slots. Most of the time, they show re-runs of the X-Files, Sir David Attenborough's documentary, old movies, and running series like 'Killing Eve'. Bombarded with commercials of course.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 08:44:52 AM by GQBlues »
Quote from: msmob
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.
3. N95 mask will choke you dead after 30 min. of use.

Offline DaveNY

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2018, 09:12:55 AM »
The marriage ceremony between Chuck and Di was live feed to the US and that was 81 so live feeds were certainly possible then. How common it was probably depended on how much could be made from the broadcast.

Offline BdHvA

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: No Selection
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2018, 10:14:58 AM »
A year before we got our own cable we watched as a sort of garden party the wedding of Charles and Dianna live in Greenwich on the BBC.

As I recall the coverage was rather subdued.

All the British women folk were goggle eyed and I tasted my first Pim's. For what it is worth I thought Diana was rather cute.
Experierence is not what happens to you. It is what you do with what happens to you. A. Huxley

Offline msmob

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2018, 11:35:48 AM »
A year before we got our own cable we watched as a sort of garden party the wedding of Charles and Dianna live in Greenwich on the BBC.

As I recall the coverage was rather subdued.

All the British women folk were goggle eyed and I tasted my first Pim's. For what it is worth I thought Diana was rather cute.

1/ You have  a persona in the ether that needs to address his 'correcting me' ....  :D  Your info was as accurate as suggesting Connors won the America's Cup in 82

2/ Diana was indeed hot ...she tried to race me in her Jag Cabriolet having given my White Coupe the nod of approval ...  Her's was a six cylinder 4 litre - mine was 6 litre and a V12 .. I was not very ecologically minded, them

I gave her a head start and then floored it - zooming up inside her and backing off - she slowed to give a thumbs up and tore off again and I was in a fine mood until a Rover SD1 V8 with two guys - both clearly Police / Security officers came along side and one made a note of my reg no. ( license plate )

I waited for a Court Summons  - but none came - so I always thought she'd made sure of that ...

Within a year John Major announced the 'spilt'

...and it's PimMs - tow M's ;)

Thanks to all for the responses

« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 12:22:31 PM by msmob »

Offline BdHvA

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: No Selection
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2018, 06:37:13 PM »
Your info was as accurate as suggesting Connors won the America's Cup in 82

Were you part of the crew?
Experierence is not what happens to you. It is what you do with what happens to you. A. Huxley

Offline msmob

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2018, 09:53:30 PM »
Is that an apology ? ;)

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541388
Total Topics: 20862
Most Online Today: 2512
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 10
Guests: 2157
Total: 2167

+-Recent Posts

Re: international travel by krimster2
Today at 04:57:12 AM

Re: The Struggle For Ukraine by krimster2
Yesterday at 07:36:35 AM

Re: Navigating the longest story ever told by Stirlitz
Yesterday at 02:18:56 AM

Re: The Struggle For Ukraine - Senate just passed the Bill! by Stirlitz
Yesterday at 02:12:24 AM

Re: The Struggle For Ukraine - Senate just passed the Bill! by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 01:56:55 AM

Re: The Struggle For Ukraine - Senate just passed the Bill! by krimster2
April 23, 2024, 07:07:31 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
April 23, 2024, 11:31:49 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Manny
April 23, 2024, 11:07:15 AM

Re: international travel by krimster2
April 23, 2024, 09:50:04 AM

Re: international travel by 2tallbill
April 23, 2024, 08:20:37 AM