It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Moscow Mayor Fired by President  (Read 4046 times)

Offline tfcrew

• North Texas... Married 21 years
  • Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Moscow Mayor Fired by President
« on: September 29, 2010, 11:13:46 AM »
~There is no one more blind than those who refuse to see and none more deaf as those who will not listen~
~Think about the intelligence of the average person and then realize that half of the people are even more stupid than that~

Offline GQBlues

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: None (yet)
Re: Moscow Mayor Fired by President
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2010, 02:17:21 PM »
...in the article, it cited...

"..Luzhkov was widely criticized for his response to the summer's wildfires. Instead of staying to manage the crisis, he flew off on a foreign holiday...."

What's the big deal with that? The Obama does it with frequency he is labeled The Vacationing Obama'...LOL.

Quote from: msmob
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.
3. N95 mask will choke you dead after 30 min. of use.

Offline I/O

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2010, 03:44:03 PM »
fired one of the country's most powerful politicians
From what is not clear? Civic or political position?

Offline wicheese

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2010, 05:25:28 PM »
Hey, at least the interim Mayor knows a thing or two about expensive watches as he was known to wear one worth $1 million USD (granted, the dollar is not worth what it used be be worth), according to the Moscow Times. 

Online Faux Pas

• Trips: No Selection
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2010, 05:46:42 PM »

I read a number of years ago that Luzhkov was "the" powerbroker in Russia and the instrument responsible for the rise of Putin. Not only is he a billionaire that married another billionaire but most the other power brokers and oligarchs owe him favors. The article made references to he was the only man Putin cowed down to. Can't remember where I read it to find it. It was 4-5 years ago.

The wife and I were discussing it the other day. She is of the opinion that they are looking to take him out as has happened to other power heavyweights recently FWIW

Offline Boethius

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2010, 06:07:45 PM »
His post as mayor is what made Luzhkov's wife a billionaire.  She began "operating" a state owned construction company, then owned it.  The company obtained lucrative construction contracts in Moscow due to his connections.

I don't think most power brokers owe Luzhkov favours.  I believe he at one time was going to run for the presidency against Putin.  He's been taken out because he began meddling in domestic affairs.  Unless he shuts up, the Russian government will go after his wife's ill gotten fortune.
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline acctBill

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2010, 06:50:52 PM »
His post as mayor is what made Luzhkov's wife a billionaire.  She began "operating" a state owned construction company, then owned it.  The company obtained lucrative construction contracts in Moscow due to his connections.

I don't think most power brokers owe Luzhkov favours.  I believe he at one time was going to run for the presidency against Putin.  He's been taken out because he began meddling in domestic affairs.  Unless he shuts up, the Russian government will go after his wife's ill gotten fortune.

If Luzhkov and his wife are smart they will start moving as much as possible of their fortune out of Russia. Other Russian billionaires like Roman Abramovich have established themselves in London and out of the reach of Putin's whims on who to put in prison for imaginary crimes.

Offline Boethius

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2010, 09:13:36 PM »
But if their fortunes are proven to be ill gotten, they will face Berezovsky's fate.  Russia recently had $52 million returned by the Swiss which Berezovsky stole from Aeroflot.

Nobody in Russia became a billionaire honestly.
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline chivo

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2010, 08:54:58 AM »
 :-\I don't think most power brokers owe Luzhkov favours.  I believe he at one time was going to run for the presidency against Putin.  He's been taken out because he began meddling in domestic affairs.  Unless he shuts up, the Russian government will go after his wife's ill gotten fortune.
Exactly. His wife was just a girl and hardly a millionaire much less a billionaire before they married. She started her company during Moscow's boom in construction in 1991 immediately after he was appointed Mayor and they married. To say their business dealings were shady would be an understatement for sure and her company quickly became the biggest construction firm in Moscow at the time. For some reason they had a penchant for tearing down historical structures in favor of yellow prefab office buildings much to the dismay of many a Muscovite. They seem to be in love with the color yellow :-\.

As far as Luzhkov goes, he's 74 now and just another in a long line of Yeltsin appointees who's time has come and his dismissal has been expected for some time now. Of course he has some powerful friends, but he also has made many enemies over the years.

He has been critical of Putin in the past and especially critical of the current regime. The proverbial "kiss of death'.

Offline kievstar

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2010, 09:12:15 AM »
Boethius is correct in that his position made his wife rich as she won many uncontested construction contracts.  

Also they made some terrible eye sores over the years.  If they open up construction in a free market prices will decrease rapidly in Moscow area.  

Most new Russians (or old in this case) made money because they played the system not because they provided a valuable competitive product.

Offline OlgaH

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2010, 09:49:59 AM »

He has been critical of Putin in the past and especially critical of the current regime. The proverbial "kiss of death'.

If he was critical of Putin  he would be dismissed from his position long before Medvedev's decree.

"Yury Luzhkov has done much for Moscow's development, and to a certain degree he is a symbolic figure of modern Russia," Putin told journalists.

"Luzhkov, who had been in office since 1992, vexed Medvedev by criticizing his decision to freeze construction of a new MOSCOW -St. Petersburg toll road and calling for stronger leadership for Russia in an article in the Rossiiskaya Gazeta newspaper".

"The stronger leadership for Russia" Mr. Putin supports the construction of a new MOSCOW -St. Petersburg toll road that would go through the Khimki Forest

The Battle for Khimki Forest
http://www.opendemocracy.net/od-russia/yevgenia-chirikova/battle-for-khimki-forest

Ugly Fight in Moscow Over Fate of Khimki Forest
http://www.treehugger.com/files/2010/08/battle-over-moscows-khimki-forest-gets-uglier.php

Offline GQBlues

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2010, 10:03:45 AM »

This is actually a good question, one I don't have a clear understanding to, as well..

Further, beyond the under-pinnings of the man Luzhkov is/was; how can a president fire a publically-elected official (if he was in fact elected)?
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.

Offline Boethius

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2010, 10:07:07 AM »
The president of Russia has the power to hire/fire governors of regions.  Moscow and St. Petersburg are considered regions.

Offline kievstar

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2010, 10:08:14 AM »
GQ, I read Putin changed it to an appointed position.  I can not find the link from work as blocked.  But read about it last night.  

Offline tim 360

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2010, 10:14:15 AM »
This is actually a good question, one I don't have a clear understanding to, as well..

Further, beyond the under-pinnings of the man Luzhkov is/was; how can a president fire a publically-elected official (if he was in fact elected)?

The Mayor of Moscow is an appointed position.  The President can fire or hire at will.  L was dismissed.
"Never argue with a fool,  onlookers may not be able to tell the difference".  Mark Twain

Offline tim 360

« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2010, 10:22:15 AM »
I read a number of years ago that Luzhkov was "the" powerbroker in Russia and the instrument responsible for the rise of Putin. Not only is he a billionaire that married another billionaire but most the other power brokers and oligarchs owe him favors. The article made references to he was the only man Putin cowed down to. Can't remember where I read it to find it. It was 4-5 years ago.

The wife and I were discussing it the other day. She is of the opinion that they are looking to take him out as has happened to other power heavyweights recently FWIW

Early on Putin courted the favor of the Oligarchs like Luzhkov to gain more power.  He need the Oligarchs to move up.  So he told them splendid lies to gain their support and when Putin felt strong enough he began to put the big squeeze on the Oligarchs and many left for London.  Some stayed too long.  A few very unwisely opposed him.  Putin is a very clever man.
"Never argue with a fool,  onlookers may not be able to tell the difference".  Mark Twain

Offline GQBlues

« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2010, 10:29:00 AM »
The Mayor of Moscow is an appointed position.  The President can fire or hire at will.  L was dismissed.

That explains it...thanks everyone!

Offline chivo

« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2010, 10:36:57 AM »
If he was critical of Putin  he would be dismissed from his position long before Medvedev's decree.

You love to nit pik. Are you telling me he has agreed with everything Putin has said or done? No one, well at least me, believes anyone has more power in Russia than Putin, so I don't disagree, but...

My point was was more about the current regime as Medvedev is getting the lion share of credit for the dismissal, thus finally gaining some respect in the eyes of Muscovites and Russians for that matter.

Offline chivo

« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2010, 10:40:02 AM »
As far as Luzhkov goes, he's 74 now and just another in a long line of Yeltsin appointees
Try reading more thoroughly next time.  ;D

Offline OlgaH

« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2010, 10:59:16 AM »
You love to nit pik. Are you telling me he has agreed with everything Putin has said or done?

No. I'm just telling that his criticism was not crucial and he was a longtime leader of Putin's ruling United Russia, he wrote his letter of resignation from the Putin's party just two days before his dismissal from the mayor post.   

Offline acctBill

« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2010, 11:24:55 AM »
Boethius is correct in that his position made his wife rich as she won many uncontested construction contracts.  

Also they made some terrible eye sores over the years.  If they open up construction in a free market prices will decrease rapidly in Moscow area.  

Most new Russians (or old in this case) made money because they played the system not because they provided a valuable competitive product.

kievstar I seriously doubt if the construction industry in Moscow or Russia can be opened up to a free market system.  There is simply too much corruption.  Someone else just as corrupt will replace Yelena Baturina (Luzhkov wife).

Offline BC

• Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2010, 11:29:53 AM »
Someone once told me that 90% is said in the first and last line of most articles and letters, the middle is usually filled with fluff.

From the OP's link:

Luzhkov was widely criticized for his response to the summer's wildfires. Instead of staying to manage the crisis, he flew off on a foreign holiday.

Read more: http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/Shamefaced+Medvedev+hands+pink+slip+Moscow+billionaire+mayor/3594424/story.html#ixzz112SqNSWl

Sounds more like one of those Katrina type scenarios.

Offline Shadow

« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2010, 11:56:53 AM »
Of course it is hard to see this in a positive light, however there are two possible scenarios which I wish to give to you:

1. This year a number of officials have been fired due to corruption. Luzhkov was one of the people who managed fairly well to enrich himself while in this position. The firing shows that nobody is actually safe from the hunt to stop corruption at this time, not even someone as powerful as the Mayor of Moscow.

2. In preparation for the 2012 elections, Medvedev's party needs a strong opponent in order to prove to the World Russia is trying to be democratic. The current opposition leaders form no direct threat, and the clowns of Nemzhov and Kasparov are never going to get enough sponsorship to buy them votes. So in order for Medvedev not to win by 70% there must be a credible opponent. Luzhkov would make a perfect opponent. He has enough money to be taken seriously, and infuential friends. At the same time he is aging, and some scandals can be used to reduce the number of votes should he get too high in the polls.

No it is not a dog. Its really how I look.  ;)

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541451
Total Topics: 20864
Most Online Today: 1973
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 8
Guests: 1939
Total: 1947

+-Recent Posts

Re: Trippin in St Pete by krimster2
Yesterday at 12:26:08 PM

Re: Trippin in St Pete by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 07:34:19 AM

Trippin in St Pete by 2tallbill
Yesterday at 06:20:16 AM

Re: Hard work -- How can I explain this to my Russian wife? by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 01:03:56 AM

Re: Trippin in St Pete by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 01:01:18 AM

Hard work -- How can I explain this to my Russian wife? by 2tallbill
April 28, 2024, 01:53:18 PM

Russian/Ukranian women - views on sex before marriage? by 2tallbill
April 28, 2024, 10:57:05 AM

Russian/Ukranian women - views on sex before marriage? by 2tallbill
April 28, 2024, 10:55:23 AM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by 2tallbill
April 28, 2024, 10:11:31 AM

Re: international travel by krimster2
April 28, 2024, 09:44:27 AM