It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Replacing RBG  (Read 30902 times)

Online 2tallbill

• Living the dream
  • Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
Replacing RBG
« Reply #125 on: September 22, 2020, 02:16:20 PM »
Maybe he's happy with 5 more minutes of fame. I doubt he'll be a YAY

Romney is a Mormon and Mormons really stick together. He can do almost
anything wrong and it will be ignored or forgiven.

However, one thing in politics is that with Mormons is you have to be pro-life.
If Romney doesn't vote for a possible prolife justice when he could and then
things change and the Dem's install a baby killer, then Romney will have some
'splaining to do.

FSUW are not for entry level daters
FSUW don't do vague
FSUW like a man of action. Be a man of action 
If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane.
There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Just kiss the girl, don't ask her first. Tolerate NO excuses!

Offline BC

• Trips: 4 - 10
Replacing RBG
« Reply #126 on: September 22, 2020, 02:30:16 PM »

The Dem's are the problem. You blaming it on the GOP is laughable.

I'm with jone on this, a lot has to do with civility that has now been completely thrown out the window in one quantum leap into the abyss.

It's sorta like here a few weeks ago where all we could do is insult each other, no one could get their point across in that atmosphere. No thinking involved at all.

It seems all we want nowadays is more noise, take the gloves off and brawl.  This only makes us less productive as we're wildly spouting this and that as fast as possible, but nothing else.

Think of target shooting, one with a .22 and the other with a shotgun.  Both hit the target, but is that really the point?

Online Faux Pas

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: No Selection
Replacing RBG
« Reply #127 on: September 22, 2020, 02:38:30 PM »
Romney is a Mormon and Mormons really stick together. He can do almost
anything wrong and it will be ignored or forgiven.

However, one thing in politics is that with Mormons is you have to be pro-life.
If Romney doesn't vote for a possible prolife justice when he could and then
things change and the Dem's install a baby killer, then Romney will have some
'splaining to do.

Good point

Online 2tallbill

• Living the dream
Replacing RBG
« Reply #128 on: September 22, 2020, 02:45:40 PM »
Geeze, Bill,

I find your evaluation of Truman to be specious.   I've read more than a couple of books on Truman and my observations about his personality were his claim to fame.   I submit to you David McCullough's 'Truman' if you still think I'm wrong.   That is actually the book I was paraphrasing from.   

http://www.google.com/books/edition/Truman/8fp1A2s6aQwC?hl=en&gbpv=1&printsec=frontcover

As for Tip and Ronnie, I don't disagree with you ... but then, I have never mentioned them before on this forum.  You might want to point me to where I have.   

Jone, I apologize
I think that it was Gator who brought up Tip and Ronnie, (but could be wrong there too).

Regarding the biography
I will have to study it and I spoke without information.

And you infer that they came upon this egregious treatment of Kavanaugh without provocation.   Yet, you dismiss the Republican refusal to hear Merrick Garland's nomination as normal in the course of doing business.

The Dem's spent three years investigating Kavanaugh the first time he was appointed
to the court back in 2003 and they drug him through it till 2006. The Dem's were
screwing with nominees far before anyone ever thought of a President Trump or
a Justice Merrick Garland.

Yet, you dismiss the Republican refusal to hear Merrick Garland's nomination as
normal in the course of doing business.

It has been for the Democrats since the 1980's
How many Justices did Ronald Reagan nominate that never made it through?
How about George HW? How about George W?

Now go name how many liberal supreme court nominations experienced the
same fate?

Clinton nominated Ruth Bader Ginsburg on June 15, 1993,
and she was confirmed on August 3, 1993

Clinton nominated Stephen Breyer on May 13, 1994,
and he was confirmed on July 29, 1994

Obama nominated Sonia Sotomayor on June 1, 2009,
Sotomayor was confirmed on August 6, 2009

Obama nominated Kagan Elena Kagan on May 10, 2010
she was confirmed August 5, 2010.

FSUW don't do vague

Online 2tallbill

• Living the dream
Replacing RBG
« Reply #129 on: September 22, 2020, 02:48:39 PM »
I'm with jone on this, a lot has to do with civility that has now been completely thrown out the window in one quantum leap into the abyss.

It's sorta like here a few weeks ago where all we could do is insult each other, no one could get their point across in that atmosphere. No thinking involved at all.

It seems all we want nowadays is more noise, take the gloves off and brawl.  This only makes us less productive as we're wildly spouting this and that as fast as possible, but nothing else.

Think of target shooting, one with a .22 and the other with a shotgun.  Both hit the target, but is that really the point?

The Dem's threw out civility in the early 1980's. The GOP jettisoned it in 2016.
The Dem's can dish it out but they can't take it. The GOP waited far too long to
start fighting back.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 04:29:58 PM by 2tallbill »
FSUW don't do vague

Offline GQBlues

• Trips: None (yet)
Replacing RBG
« Reply #130 on: September 22, 2020, 02:49:15 PM »
Unless something drastic comes up between now and the weekend, Amy Coney Barrett is Predictit.org's odds-on favorite.

Report said her camp was very disappointed she was passed up in favor of Kavanaugh the last time.
Quote from: msmob
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.
3. N95 mask will choke you dead after 30 min. of use.

Offline Confederate

• Trips: 1 - 3
Replacing RBG
« Reply #131 on: September 22, 2020, 02:55:12 PM »
I don't excuse the Democrats.  But neither do I excuse Trump.  Sauce for the goose....

I support Trump in that he's the lesser of two evils. I hope.

There are days I believe he's been drugged. His medical exam indicated he takes Ambien. From reading the indications that medication causes confusion, etc.

He should have at times been more Presidential. IMO.
War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength.
George Orwell 1984

Offline fathertime

Replacing RBG
« Reply #132 on: September 22, 2020, 02:59:18 PM »

Isn't that silly? Blah, blah

I wasn't aware this had to be a partisan issue when I commented.     

In any event.  my view is an as follows.   If said semi-colonies such as guam, American Samoa, PR, and Virgin Islands would like to be states, I'd be in favor of that.  Currently that isn't the case, as perhaps the nations are feeling just fine with the current situation.  If a day comes where US financial resources are more scarce, and we aren't dumping money into these territories, they would have less incentive to permit affiliation with the US.  I wonder how the US would react to that.  I hope these thoughts don't also offend you. 

Fathertime! 
« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 09:22:56 PM by AnonMod »
I just happened to be browsing about the internet....

Offline BC

Replacing RBG
« Reply #133 on: September 22, 2020, 03:03:17 PM »
The Dem's through out civility in the early 1980's. The GOP jettisoned it in 2016.
The Dem's can dish it out but they can't take it. The GOP waited far too long to
start fighting back.

You seem to be doing a good job proving my point 2tall...

Online 2tallbill

• Living the dream
Replacing RBG
« Reply #134 on: September 22, 2020, 04:34:09 PM »
You seem to be doing a good job proving my point 2tall...

I meant to write "threw out civility" instead of though out civility.

I don't think we disagree too much on this, except how to move
going forward. If the Dem's wanted to act civil, I would be all for
the GOP doing the same.
FSUW don't do vague

Offline Gator

Replacing RBG
« Reply #135 on: September 22, 2020, 04:35:56 PM »

Your story is a fictional fantasy which nobody still alive was part of. You've fondly
remembered stories of Tip O'Neal and the Gipper. Tip O'Neal hated Ronald Reagan
and he fought him on everything. Reagan would put together a plan and Tip would
publicly announce that it was dead on arrival before he even read it.

It was I who frequently posted about how Tip and Ronnie managed to work together. 

I don't believe Tip actually hated Ronnie.  They shared many a cocktail together, and  then the next day go to war over political differences.  Yet, they almost always found a middle ground, and that is how our two-party system is suppose to work.   

Jone spoke of Trump's insults.  Tip insulted Reagan frequently, once calling him "the most ignorant man who had ever occupied the White House."   

This is covered in a book by MSNBC's Chris Matthews, entitled "Tip and the Gipper:  When Politics Worked."  Matthews wrote the book in 2013 to contrast the two with Obama and Boehner.  Here is Matthews'  interesting video about the two statesmen. 

Tip said this about Ronnie, and it seemingly applies today to Biden. :D

“He only works three to three-and-a-half hours a day. He doesn’t do his homework. He doesn’t read his briefing papers. It’s sinful that this man is president of the United States.” 

Offline Gator

Replacing RBG
« Reply #136 on: September 22, 2020, 05:20:32 PM »
Remember him telling Carly Fiorina that she was too ugly to be president?   

I recall Trump criticizing her sour facial expression.    Who wants a gloomy President?!   

We're now in an era whereby many are saying that the Democrats deserve the treatment that they are getting because they behaved so poorly in the Kavenaugh hearings. 

If you look at just the small box of  Kavenaugh and RBG's successor,  there is some Republican hypocrisy.  Yet, there is far more than this small box.   

Here is what you are ignoring - this acrimony had its origins years earlier in Obama's tenure.  The Dems have been bashing the country club Repubs for a long time.  And when Trump was elected, they resorted to some dishonest tactics.  As just one example, think about your lying and leaking Adam Schiff.  And what did Repubs do?  Those such as Sessions rolled over and let it happen.  Maybe Schiff should not have help concoct a hoax and instead have busied the committee with more pressing intelligence issues such as the IC's alarms about COVID. 

It started earlier than the REussian hoax.  Do your recall how Trump wanted to negotiate immigration reforms in the spirit of resolving a lingering issue?   Trump met with the Dems to reach a deal friendly to everyone, but Dick Durbin torpedoes it by outing his "shithole country" remark, as part of the Dem strategy not to solve immigration but make Trump look like a racist. 

Next is Nancy.  But let's stop here.     

Well, they had a good example to learn by with our insulter-in-chief.

Example to learn?  In their quest for power, the Dems already knew infinitely more about dirty tricks, and they used many of them to try and oust the novice politician Trump. 

Jone, I know you like congeniality.  All of us would prefer such.  However, one side is not very congenial.  Given all that you have said, I suggest you write-in a vote for Jeff Sessions. 

Offline Confederate

• Trips: 1 - 3
Replacing RBG
« Reply #137 on: September 22, 2020, 06:54:48 PM »
I recall Trump criticizing her sour facial expression.    Who wants a gloomy President?!   

If you look at just the small box of  Kavenaugh and RBG's successor,  there is some Republican hypocrisy.  Yet, there is far more than this small box.   

Here is what you are ignoring - this acrimony had its origins years earlier in Obama's tenure.  The Dems have been bashing the country club Repubs for a long time.  And when Trump was elected, they resorted to some dishonest tactics.  As just one example, think about your lying and leaking Adam Schiff.  And what did Repubs do?  Those such as Sessions rolled over and let it happen.  Maybe Schiff should not have help concoct a hoax and instead have busied the committee with more pressing intelligence issues such as the IC's alarms about COVID. 

It started earlier than the REussian hoax.  Do your recall how Trump wanted to negotiate immigration reforms in the spirit of resolving a lingering issue?   Trump met with the Dems to reach a deal friendly to everyone, but Dick Durbin torpedoes it by outing his "shithole country" remark, as part of the Dem strategy not to solve immigration but make Trump look like a racist. 

Next is Nancy.  But let's stop here.     

Example to learn?  In their quest for power, the Dems already knew infinitely more about dirty tricks, and they used many of them to try and oust the novice politician Trump. 

Jone, I know you like congeniality.  All of us would prefer such.  However, one side is not very congenial.  Given all that you have said, I suggest you write-in a vote for Jeff Sessions.

What you're saying here is likely all true. However I think it was the hardline attitude of Trump adviser Stephen Miller who stopped the immigration deal from happening.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 07:03:03 PM by Confederate »
War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength.
George Orwell 1984

Offline BillyB

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
Replacing RBG
« Reply #138 on: September 22, 2020, 07:09:25 PM »
In a brilliant chess move Trump nominates Biden as SC justice. Republicans will soon vote to approve. Kamala, worried about losing her opportunity to become VP, said she now believes Tara Reade. Democrats are forced to bring out the women that accused Biden of sexual assault so they can stall the nomination by calling for thorough investigations like they did Kavanaugh. The Democrats strategy is by preventing Joe from becoming an SC justice, Joe retains the opportunity to become POTUS. In an interview when asked about his nomination to the SC, Biden said "C'mon man! You know the thing."

http://babylonbee.com/news/genius-trump-nominates-joe-biden-to-supreme-court
« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 07:11:57 PM by BillyB »
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline fathertime

Replacing RBG
« Reply #139 on: September 22, 2020, 07:50:04 PM »

Here is what you are ignoring - this acrimony had its origins years earlier in Obama's tenure.  The Dems have been bashing the country club Repubs for a long time.   
So it was the democrats bashing the snowflake republicans that got conservatives all knotted up in the underpants.   Possible, but it was During obozo's term it was the republicans that nullified him from getting his pick through.  That is the type of event that creates acrimony and retaliation.  I'm sure there will be retaliation for the hypocrisy of the republican senators this time around too.  That is what makes us so 'exceptional'.

Fathertime!   

Offline jone

Replacing RBG
« Reply #140 on: September 22, 2020, 07:57:54 PM »
Funniest samn thing:

Democrats are claiming Republicans have all turned 180 degrees.  What they fail to acknowledge is that they have done exacrly the same thing.

That is the ultimate hypocrisy.
Kissing girls is a goodness.  It beats the hell out of card games.  - Robert Heinlein

Offline fathertime

Replacing RBG
« Reply #141 on: September 22, 2020, 08:01:30 PM »

Democrats are claiming Republicans have all turned 180 degrees.  What they fail to acknowledge is that they have done exacrly the same thing.
and republicans have turned 180 degrees
...and in both cases the democrats are getting the raw end of the deal...so they have very good reason to squawk. 

Fathertime!   

Offline tfcrew

• North Texas... Married 21 years
Replacing RBG
« Reply #142 on: September 23, 2020, 04:48:20 AM »
.... was During obozo's term it was the republicans that nullified him from getting his pick through.   
"Obozo"? Seriously?   So the GPO senate was supposed to consent to a SC justice they really didn't want?
Gee...I think this is called politics.
~There is no one more blind than those who refuse to see and none more deaf as those who will not listen~
~Think about the intelligence of the average person and then realize that half of the people are even more stupid than that~

Offline msmob

Replacing RBG
« Reply #143 on: September 23, 2020, 04:52:56 AM »
"Obozo"? Seriously?   So the GPO senate was supposed to consent to a SC justice they really didn't want?
Gee...I think this is called politics.

Exactly, such appointments shouldn't be political appointees, at all

The US could learn a lot from the UK .. 

However, our 'govt' .. having been found to be law-breakers..seeks to go down the US path ...  :wallbash:

Offline Gator

Replacing RBG
« Reply #144 on: September 23, 2020, 09:12:33 AM »

The US could learn a lot from the UK .. 

The UK has done a superb job declining from the World's Top Power 100 years ago to barely making the Top 10 today. 

And before that, how did it go in 1776? 

Offline Gator

Replacing RBG
« Reply #145 on: September 23, 2020, 09:21:35 AM »
Funniest samn thing:

That is the ultimate hypocrisy.

Good point.   My point remains that the justice appointment conflict is just one small symptom of something much bigger, something very damaging to our democratic traditions.       

The Dems have promised "retaliation."   Jone, who will behave better with majority rule in 2021, Dems or Repubs?

I prefer split government in 2021, but that requires our elected officials to behave as statesmen. 

Offline ML

Replacing RBG
« Reply #146 on: September 23, 2020, 09:50:58 AM »
Many Dems are saying that if and when they control both Houses of Congress, they will increase the number of SC Justices and then install 'their kind' of Justices.

- - - - - - - -

The Constitution places the power to determine the number of Justices in the hands of Congress. The first Judiciary Act, passed in 1789, set the number of Justices at six, one Chief Justice and five Associates. Over the years Congress has passed various acts to change this number, fluctuating from a low of five to a high of ten. The Judiciary Act of 1869 fixed the number of Justices at nine and no subsequent change to the number of Justices has occurred.

http://www.supremecourt.gov/about/faq_general.aspx

But exactly how does Congress do this ?
Must it pass both Houses by simple majority vote ?
President cannot veto this ?
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline BillyB

Replacing RBG
« Reply #147 on: September 23, 2020, 10:16:29 AM »
Many Dems are saying that if and when they control both Houses of Congress, they will increase the number of SC Justices and then install 'their kind' of Justices.

- - - - - - - -

The Constitution places the power to determine the number of Justices in the hands of Congress. The first Judiciary Act, passed in 1789, set the number of Justices at six, one Chief Justice and five Associates. Over the years Congress has passed various acts to change this number, fluctuating from a low of five to a high of ten. The Judiciary Act of 1869 fixed the number of Justices at nine and no subsequent change to the number of Justices has occurred.

http://www.supremecourt.gov/about/faq_general.aspx

But exactly how does Congress do this ?
Must it pass both Houses by simple majority vote ?
President cannot veto this ?

Because the Constitution is involved, I hope much more than a simple majority is needed to change the number of justices. Link below says a President did veto a Judicial Act.

http://tinyurl.com/yxn8832s

I'm sure the Democrats are exploring all options. If they take the Senate, and Presidency this November, they may attempt to change the number of Supreme Court justices from 9 to 59 giving Biden 50 new appointees.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 04:46:48 PM by AnonMod »
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline fathertime

Replacing RBG
« Reply #148 on: September 23, 2020, 02:49:17 PM »

I'm sure the Democrats are exploring all options. If they take the Senate, and Presidency this November, they may attempt to change the number of Supreme Court justices from 9 to 59 giving Biden 50 new appointees.
If the democrats can change the number lawfully than I will be all for it (Assuming Trump rams his pick through before the new senate is in place).  They have good reason to do everything up to going nuclear in response to the republicans senator's naked hypocrisy, and blatant partisanship.    That said, I wouldn't expect the dems to sweep into power in all 3 branches.  If they did, it would be quite an indictment by the american people on the direction trump has been leading the nation. 

Offline tfcrew

• North Texas... Married 21 years
Replacing RBG
« Reply #149 on: September 23, 2020, 05:03:04 PM »
~~~~~~~~~~Blame greedy Reidy~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~There is no one more blind than those who refuse to see and none more deaf as those who will not listen~
~Think about the intelligence of the average person and then realize that half of the people are even more stupid than that~

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 540997
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 9
Guests: 1997
Total: 2006

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:20:42 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:12:54 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:02:12 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 08:45:42 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 07:59:27 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 07:04:53 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 06:59:45 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 06:57:42 PM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 06:36:52 PM

Re: Twenty Years... and Counting (MarkInTx Update) by supranatural
Yesterday at 03:02:29 PM