It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Invasion continues  (Read 16340 times)

Offline alex330

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Re: Invasion continues
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2015, 01:33:21 PM »
And it progresses yet a bit more. Several bombings this week in my wife's neighborhood in Odessa followed by unknown men walking through the area with signs saying "we are here" and "hello".

Offline JayH

• Trips: > 10
This Is What the Ukraine War Looks Like
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2015, 04:19:56 AM »
Some of the realities of the invasion--once again--a  must read and a must watch !

This Is What the Ukraine War Looks Like: 8 Days on the Front Line

PISKY, Ukraine—The notion that the Ukraine cease-fire is still largely holding, or even being followed at all, is fiction.

In the eastern Ukrainian village of Pisky, only six kilometers from the separatist stronghold of Donetsk, and two kilometers from the ruined Donetsk airport, the Ukrainian army 93rd Mechanized Brigade is engaged in sustained combat with combined Russian-separatist forces.

In Pisky, combined Russian-separatist forces violate the cease-fire every day with heavy artillery barrages, including 120-mm and 152-mm shells, tank attacks, and sniper and automatic grenade launcher fire. Separatist reconnaissance units also slip behind the lines after dark, and gun battles are a nightly routine.

“I dance with death every day,” said Sergei Kozin, a red-bearded 43-year-old machine gunner from Dnipropetrovsk, who has been on the front lines in Pisky for more than two months.

The Daily Signal was among the first foreign media outlets to embed with the regular Ukrainian army during an eight-day period in Pisky from June 8-15, 2015—it was the first time a U.S. journalist embedded with the regular Ukrainian army in combat.

At about 3 p.m. on June 13, a separatist tank fired on a group of seven, including Ukrainian soldiers and this correspondent. The round landed about 60 feet from the group, and shrapnel sprayed overhead. Eardrums were left ringing. There were no casualties, and all seven were able to flee to a nearby cellar to take shelter for the follow-on shots that lasted for about 20 minutes.

http://dailysignal.com/2015/06/20/ukraine-war-looks-like-8-days-front-line/

SLAVA UKRAYINI  ! HEROYAM SLAVA!!!!
Слава Украине! Слава героям слава!Слава Україні! Слава героям!
 translated as: Glory to Ukraine! Glory to the heroes!!!  is a Ukrainian greeting slogan being used now all over Ukraine to signify support for a free independent Ukraine

Offline JayH

The struggle for Ukraine is more serious than ISIS
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2015, 04:17:37 AM »
At the very least it has the potential to be a far bigger problem-if left in the status it is now.
The mystery is now that so many can see the danger of leaving Putin and Russia unchecked-but the people capable of making the decisions to stop him- are still sitting on there hands.

The struggle for Ukraine is more serious than ISIS

KIEV — Vladimir Putin continues to chip away at Ukraine while the west just watches.
In the past year, Ukraine has lost 9% of its territory, 1.3 million people have fled Russian-occupied regions, 6,200 people have died and 30,000 have been wounded.
On July 17, one year ago, Russian missiles blew up a Malaysian plane over Ukraine, killing 298 passengers on board, a war crime barely mentioned.
Ukraine’s economy has been damaged and the country’s payments on debts, due to years of exorbitant Russian gas prices, are the same as defense costs.
Russia’s aggression is at bay because, in the absence of military aid from the west, thousands of volunteers have armed themselves to help their rag-tag army.
President Obama and Europe worry that arming Ukraine will provide Putin with a pretext to escalate the war. But Putin has never needed pretexts to rough up the neighbors.
Without modern weaponry and funds, Ukraine is a knife in a gunfight. Take the example of 19-year-old “Maley” who went to the front last year, equipped with his grandfather’s hunting rifle and a steel plate that his mother bought strapped to his chest.
He joined a volunteer brigade of roughly 10,000 fighters and became a sniper. In April, he was wounded on patrol when an army medic behind him stepped on a land mine and lost both her legs.

“She didn’t pay attention. I’m going back,” he said, a copy of “American Sniper” beside his hospital bed.
There’s growing pressure to arm Ukraine. Last month, Senator John McCain (R-Ariz.) visited and 40 bipartisan congressional leaders are coming this month.
“This is shameful that we will not provide [the Ukrainians] with weapons to defend themselves. They are fighting with 20th-century weapons against Russia’s 21st-century weapons. That’s not a fair fight,” said McCain in a press conference on June 20 in Kiev.
“The struggle in Ukraine is more serious than ISIS,” said John Herbst in an interview. He’s a former US ambassador to Ukraine and Uzbekistan and fellow at the Atlantic Council in Washington. “It’s very simple. Any military thinker looks at a threat — what is the [possible] damage? Putin wants to change the peace established in 1991 and after World War II.”
Ukrainians have staged two revolutions — in 2004 and 2014 — to unseat Russian puppets. The question on the mind of most Ukranians is — will they have to fight a third?
“Does the US only help oil countries?” said an exasperated Natalie Jaresco, Ukraine’s minister of finance and an American from Chicago. “Ukraine has got a democracy here. If this fails, there is no reason to try and do democracy any place else.”

http://nypost.com/2015/07/05/the-struggle-for-ukraine-is-more-serious-than-isis/
 translated as: Glory to Ukraine! Glory to the heroes!!!  is a Ukrainian greeting slogan being used now all over Ukraine to signify support for a free independent Ukraine

Offline ML

Re: The struggle for Ukraine is more serious than ISIS
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2015, 08:48:21 AM »
“Ukraine has got a democracy here. If this fails, there is no reason to try and do democracy any place else.”

This is one of the most baffling concepts about the situation.

Why is USA willing to spend billions to establish and promote new democracy around the world . . .

yet not be willing to go all in to help preserve an existing democracy?
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline cc3

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2015, 11:31:38 AM »

Why is USA willing to spend billions to establish and promote new democracy around the world . . .

A really excellent question!

Offline fathertime

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2015, 11:44:11 AM »

“Does the US only help oil countries?” said an exasperated Natalie Jaresco, Ukraine’s minister of finance and an American from Chicago. “Ukraine has got a democracy here. If this fails, there is no reason to try and do democracy any place else.”

http://nypost.com/2015/07/05/the-struggle-for-ukraine-is-more-serious-than-isis/

When considering the costs, perhaps it isn't always in our interests to preserve certain democracies....or attempt to change current leadership.  (Saudi Arabia)  I figure the reality is the US leadership does a cost/benefit analysis and that is the reasoning behind decisions, not the lofty, ivory tower goal of democracies. 

Fathertime!

I just happened to be browsing about the internet....

Offline Boethius

• Trips: No Selection
Re: Invasion continues
« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2015, 12:10:21 PM »
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline alex330

Child soldiers in the ranks
« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2015, 03:32:11 PM »
Things are looking worse and worse by the day. When will the international community step in? Maybe when they break out the machetes?

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-30134421

Offline Muzh

Re: Child soldiers in the ranks
« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2015, 08:00:16 PM »
Things are looking worse and worse by the day. When will the international community step in? Maybe when they break out the machetes?

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-30134421

Heh, maybe Jay should take a look.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead. Thomas Paine - The American Crisis 1776-1783

Offline calmissile

« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2015, 12:33:55 AM »

Heh, maybe Jay should take a look.

Why?  I think he does.  He is in Ukraine more than any forum member I know of, except those that live there permanently.  He doesn't make trip reports every time he goes, but the past several months he has probably been in Ukraine as much as he has been home.  You can join us in Chat and Skype if you want to chat with him when in country.
Doug (Calmissile)

Offline Muzh

« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2015, 07:13:29 AM »
Why?  I think he does.  He is in Ukraine more than any forum member I know of, except those that live there permanently.  He doesn't make trip reports every time he goes, but the past several months he has probably been in Ukraine as much as he has been home.  You can join us in Chat and Skype if you want to chat with him when in country.

Doug, no jab at you first of all.

However, I have friends who travel to PR and try to argue with me that my POV on the island is faulty because they've been there "numerous" times and talked to people.

And I tell them they are entitled to their opinion. I have no problems with that. BUT do not tell me that my POV is wrong just because I don't live there anymore.

My last trip to Italy, I felt I was in paradise. Loved it. However, I'm not going to tell Sandro that he is wrong on many assertions he may have about their government. I mean, we can discuss and exchange ideas, which is what we did. But I know Sandro has never said to me I'm insulting him just because I ask him to explain his POV.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead. Thomas Paine - The American Crisis 1776-1783

Offline SANDRO43

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2015, 07:55:53 AM »
My last trip to Italy, I felt I was in paradise. Loved it. However, I'm not going to tell Sandro that he is wrong on many assertions he may have about their government. I mean, we can discuss and exchange ideas, which is what we did. But I know Sandro has never said to me I'm insulting him just because I ask him to explain his POV.
I remember our conversations touched on many diverse topics, but I do not recall discussing our government ::).

Was I too drunk by then ;D?
Milan's "Duomo"

Offline Muzh

« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2015, 08:05:11 AM »
I remember our conversations touched on many diverse topics, but I do not recall discussing our government ::) .

Was I too drunk by then ;D ?

I wish!! That meant I would be too. ;)

No, I mean our conversations here. Actually, when we met I had no desire to talk politics. Just meet a cyber friend in person and we are glad we did. :clapping:

Offline JayH

In Russian-occupied Crimea, ‘wrong’ opinion can mean jail
« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2016, 12:17:31 AM »
The frontline victims of the Russian insanity.

In Russian-occupied Crimea, ‘wrong’ opinion can mean jail

FEODOSIA, Crimea – Suleiman Kadyrov is at his gate in Feodosia, Crimea, dressed impeccably in a suit and tie decorated with the Tamga, the symbol of Crimea’s indigenous minority the Crimean Tatars.

Beyond, the building is painted blue and yellow, the colors of both the Ukrainian and Crimean Tatar flags. In his living room, the two flags take pride of place on the wall. This is a man making no attempt to hide his loyalties, or his conviction that Crimea is still Ukraine.

Convictions – both the personal and the legal kind – figure largely in 54-year-old Kadyrov’s life. As deputy head of criminal investigations in the south-east coastal town of Feodosia, he spent years putting other people behind bars; locals remember at least two high-profile murder cases he solved. Now, he’s facing a court case of his own under Russian criminal law. If convicted, he could spend up to five years in prison for reposting a video and writing a comment under it on Facebook.

Criminal cases

Kadyrov is one of three Crimeans charged under a recent Russian law on “making public calls to action intended to violate the territorial integrity of the Russian Federation,” for their statements that Crimea is Ukrainian territory.

Ilmi Umerov, also a Crimean Tatar and former head of the Bakhchisaray administration, is charged over comments he made on TV channel ATR, and journalist Mykola Semena for an article written under a pseudonym for Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty’s news site Crimea Realities.

Kadyrov, Umerov and Semena are not alone in their opinion about the status of Crimea. On November 15 the International Criminal Court in the Hague released a report concluding that Russia is an occupying power in Crimea. A day later, a United Nations committee approved a Ukraine-sponsored resolution calling Russia an aggressor committing egregious human right abuses in Crimea.  The General Assembly is expected to vote on the resolution in December.

“The whole international community recognizes that Crimea is Ukraine,” said Kadyrov. “So by any idea of logic (the Russian authorities) should halt our criminal cases. Or if they continue with our cases, then they have to open a case against the whole United Nations and the court in the Hague.”

http://www.kyivpost.com/ukraine-politics/russian-occupied-crimea-wrong-opinion-can-mean-jail.html

NOTE   *******
"Editor’s Note: The following article was made possible with support from the Objective investigative reporting project, a MYMEDIA project sponsored by Danida, the international support arm of the Danish Foreign Ministry. Content is independent of the donor. This story can be republished freely with credit to the Objective program."

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 540997
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 9
Guests: 1963
Total: 1972

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:20:42 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:12:54 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:02:12 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 08:45:42 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 07:59:27 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 07:04:53 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 06:59:45 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 06:57:42 PM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 06:36:52 PM

Re: Twenty Years... and Counting (MarkInTx Update) by supranatural
Yesterday at 03:02:29 PM