It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Me Speaking Russian  (Read 12675 times)

lordtiberius

Me Speaking Russian
« on: February 12, 2013, 01:02:35 AM »

Offline Kunstkammer

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: Resident
Re: Me Speaking Russian
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 04:39:18 AM »
This is not an attacking post.  What are you looking for here?  A pat on the back or constructive feedback on your mistakes with cases, tenses, verb forms, style, etc. ?
По всему Кавказу про нас слава ходит, наш дедушка, наш Ермолов на всех страх наводит.

Offline Lily

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 05:49:31 AM »
Lovely dog on the right! :)

Da, da, Canada; Nyet, nyet, Soviet!

Offline tfcrew

• North Texas... Married 21 years
  • Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2013, 03:02:47 PM »
Lovely dog on the right!
Is that a bottle of vodka on the dresser?

From the video...
agrees politically w/Dick Cheney
Discussed Vietnam?

I still wonder how that guy [Cheney] ever made it as far as he did.

Dodged the draft 5 times...flunked out of Yale....had 2 DWIs..

Cheney reportedly said, "I had other priorities in the '60s than military service". and they made him DOD and then VP.???
You couldn't make this stuff up if you tried:
Funny how Dick Cheney called the Vietnam War 'a just conflict'...just not for him.

http://rense.com/general52/chenn.htm
also
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dick_Cheney

~There is no one more blind than those who refuse to see and none more deaf as those who will not listen~
~Think about the intelligence of the average person and then realize that half of the people are even more stupid than that~

lordtiberius

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 08:48:11 PM »

From the video...
I still wonder how that guy [Cheney] ever made it as far as he did.Funny how Dick Cheney called the Vietnam War 'a just conflict'...just not for him.

also

TY for watching my video!!!   :clapping:

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2013, 02:00:39 PM »
Jimbo, having already seen your video you know my response from prior communication but I'll go on record here: Of course there are mistakes and that is why we practice--aloud with someone else listening. On a positive note there were several seconds interspersed throughout the video that did not sound like fingernails scratching a blackboard.  :) That is great because it means that you are doing some things right and putting in the effort!

I believe that you live in southern Arizona if memory serves there is an excellent tutor who lives in the Phoenix area. She was an English teacher in Russia who married a American man and teaches Russian via Skype. Let me know if you're interested and I can forward her contact info.

However I will tell you that you live in one of the best places of the Southwest USA to learn Russian. The University of Arizona in Tucson not only has an excellent Russian program which means lots of upper class students willing to tutor, but the Medical School at UA has a large Russian student population as well. You live in a good spot with ample resources.

Years ago because of my travel schedule I ended up in Arkansas a couple weekends monthly and would hang out at my brother's place which was about 25 minutes from the University of Arkansas. The University there has a good Russian program and typically on Friday afternoons the Russian students would gather at a campus cafe to hang out and practice conversational Russian for an hour or so. They welcomed anyone so I'd try to join in when possible. The ASU Russian language program in Tempe/Phoenix has such a tradition during the school year and perhaps UA in Tucson does as well.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 02:06:21 PM by mendeleyev »
The Mendeleyev Journal. http://mendeleyevjournal.com Member: Congress of Russian Journalists; ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.RU (Journalist-Russia); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.UA (Journalist-Ukraine); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.KZ (Journalist-Kazakhstan); ПОРТАЛ ЖУРНАЛИСТОВ (Portal of RU-UA Journalists); Просто Журналисты ("Just Journalists").

lordtiberius

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2013, 04:19:21 PM »
I am taking classes with Benjamin Jens and I am apart of the 1 credit independent study where I speak to a native Russian Speaker twice a week. 

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2013, 08:14:09 PM »
LT, keep up the good work! And don't be afraid of more videos.
The Mendeleyev Journal. http://mendeleyevjournal.com Member: Congress of Russian Journalists; ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.RU (Journalist-Russia); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.UA (Journalist-Ukraine); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.KZ (Journalist-Kazakhstan); ПОРТАЛ ЖУРНАЛИСТОВ (Portal of RU-UA Journalists); Просто Журналисты ("Just Journalists").

lordtiberius

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2013, 03:15:23 AM »

Offline TomT

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2013, 02:45:38 PM »
Lovely dog on the right! :)

The dog was the star of the video clip.

Offline GQBlues

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2013, 05:06:41 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVKaBmghsRM&feature=youtu.be

LOL. My buddies made me login, LOL! They are all cracking up because they never saw Jesus, (a pic of the) Virgin Mary and *John Wayne* all in one square feet. Hero knows his heroes...!

LOL! They also would like to know if facial gestures are an important part of speaking Russian!

They're getting a kick out of reading some of the threads.
Quote from: msmob
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.
3. N95 mask will choke you dead after 30 min. of use.

Offline jone

• Trips: > 10
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2013, 06:06:15 PM »
Learning Russian is no easy thing.  To all of those making light of LT's attempt to speak the language correctly, I just hope that when you were learning Russian, or the other way around (learning English), that people were magnanimous in how they treated you.  For those of you who are commenting, yet don't have proficiency - what LT is doing, IMHO, is the hardest part of learning this language.  Getting the correct pronunciation so that a native speaker can understand you.

Personally, I would never put my efforts at speaking a foreign language on YouTube.  I am embarrassed to see myself on media when I'm just speaking English.  More power to ya, bro.  But not my cup of tea.
Kissing girls is a goodness.  It beats the hell out of card games.  - Robert Heinlein

lordtiberius

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2013, 08:44:38 PM »

From the video...
I still wonder how that guy [Cheney] ever made it as far as he did.Funny how Dick Cheney called the Vietnam War 'a just conflict'...just not for him.

also

True story, I was not a killer in the Army.  I fired my weapon once intentionally following the Standard Operating Procedures set by the convoy commander.  But my job was at the time was to courier electronics for repair.  So I had to take a night bird to Tayji from Baghdad.  I am sitting in the Air Force holding area and I come across a letter that had fallen out of a soldier's pocket and it was intended for his wife.  No markings to id who wrote it other than the nuances in the handwriting.

He wrote his wife about the war and how much he missed her.  And it looked like many of the letters I had written and so many of us.  But the part that stuck out was the guy hated Cheney.  And I am a neocon to this day, but I don't blame him. 

And I can say that because I did my time.

Thank you for the comment and the observation (it shows you are a good citizen [God knows we need more of that!!!!])

lordtiberius

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2013, 08:45:41 PM »

The dog was the star of the video clip.

He killed a bird today!  It was awesome.  One more pidgeon that won't  :wallbash: on the house.  Thank you for watching.

lordtiberius

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2013, 08:55:41 PM »
LOL. My buddies made me login, LOL! They are all cracking up because they never saw Jesus, (a pic of the) Virgin Mary and *John Wayne* all in one square feet. Hero knows his heroes...!

LOL! They also would like to know if facial gestures are an important part of speaking Russian!

They're getting a kick out of reading some of the threads.

Boethia said that you are a pinoy married to an FSUW.  If that is true, you honor me and I admire  you twice.  I am only half.  I don't know if you consider that pinoy enough.  I guess I am in a Rob Schneider kind of way. 

I went to the Philippines in 2005 and my Uncle Ta-tay said that we, the people of the Philippines, have an aptitude for languages.  I wish I could speak Visaya.  My Mom and her sister kept it from me so they can talk about how fat I was (am).   ;D

My extended family is in LA.  How about you?

As for speaking Russian, I can read some of it but sometimes I will see a six syllable word with seven consecutive constants and just cry.  But I love speaking it and I love the people.  My lady doesn't speak much English so I have to learn until she learns.

Thank you for the admiration of JC, His Mom and JW! 

This one is for you sir!

lordtiberius

« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2013, 08:58:57 PM »
Learning Russian is no easy thing.  To all of those making light of LT's attempt to speak the language correctly, I just hope that when you were learning Russian, or the other way around (learning English), that people were magnanimous in how they treated you.  For those of you who are commenting, yet don't have proficiency - what LT is doing, IMHO, is the hardest part of learning this language.  Getting the correct pronunciation so that a native speaker can understand you.

Personally, I would never put my efforts at speaking a foreign language on YouTube.  I am embarrassed to see myself on media when I'm just speaking English.  More power to ya, bro.  But not my cup of tea.

Brother, every time I read a post from you I learn something.  You pay me a high dollar compliment and doubled it by taking up for me.  I have lived in LA for 3 years - well 4.  I love LA.  It is a dog eat dog world there, maybe I'll be back.  I don't know.  I hope we never disagree.  And if we do, I pray I have the good sense to listen.  God Bless You Sir!

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2013, 11:51:07 PM »
Bravo! The new video shows improvement. You are a brave man, LT.  :)

lordtiberius

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2013, 12:14:32 AM »
Bravo! The new video shows improvement. You are a brave man, LT.  :)

No.  I just have good leaders (mentors/teachers/friends/ :D)

lordtiberius

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2013, 12:47:18 AM »
For Jone:

Offline GQBlues

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2013, 09:09:39 AM »
Boethia said that you are a pinoy married to an FSUW.  If that is true, you honor me and I admire  you twice.  I am only half.  I don't know if you consider that pinoy enough.  I guess I am in a Rob Schneider kind of way. ...

Ask my wife who else and she can tell yah without even trying. Living in LA and laying witness to the wonderful casseroles of hydrid generations around, she's incredibly excited firing up the oven...Enrinque Iglesias, Phoebe Cates, Vannesa Hudgens, Kristin Kruek, Bruno Mars, etc...

...I went to the Philippines in 2005 and my Uncle Ta-tay..

Tatay is Tagalog for *father*, unless your roots have some funky tendencies, your uncle can't be your Dad.

...said that we, the people of the Philippines, have an aptitude for languages....

Borne by the fact for such a geographically small nation they speak well over 300 dialects.

...I wish I could speak Visaya.  My Mom and her sister kept it from me so they can talk about how fat I was (am).

Visaya is the middle region comprise a few thousand island with, IIRC, about 75 dialects. So unless you can speak *American*, then very likely you won't be able to speak *Visaya*. I can speak Cebuana, as my mumski was born there. Batangueno as well. Heck, I can even speak Ebonics and Pig-Latin for what it's worth.

....My extended family is in LA.  How about you?...

My extended family IS LA.

...As for speaking Russian, I can read some of it but sometimes I will see a six syllable word with seven consecutive constants and just cry.  But I love speaking it and I love the people.  My lady doesn't speak much English so I have to learn until she learns....

Frankly, it's a waste of time unless you plan on living there. Moreover, IMO, it'll likely hinder your gal's language improvement by having you speak her language with her than spending that time helping her learn English.

People always tell me before that I should learn how to speak my wife's language ( I can speak a little just enough to get around. Like I can with Slovak, Czech, Spanish, etc..) since she's taken the time to learn my language, English.

Well, English is not my native tongue and expecting my wife to learn *my language*, in addition to learning English, simply because she's married to me, is just plain NUTz if not downright ridiculous.

...Thank you for the admiration of JC, His Mom and JW!

None of the above actually. I grew up a good Catholic and as a child I received merits for being *best in religion*, whatever the heck that meant. With what we know of the craziness happening behind this religious sector, notably with THE Vatican having full knowledge of it all along - until JC, mumski and the rest of the Divine associates do some really tricky things to turn their disciples around and clean house in a major way - and soon! this boy ain't admiring then anytime soon..

As for Mr. Wayne (RIP), puhleeeze..the dude was an alcoholic who lived a fairly scandalous life an had his gophers cover up for his mess along the way. Besides that, the jerk can't even act if you wanna know the truth. He acts the role as *John Wayne* regardless what those roles are suppose to be...Turd of an actor.

...This one is for you sir!...

No thanks...my wish for you is you choose your gal far better than the way you choose your heroes.

Don't be coy with me - I'm not your average MOBer. My friends did get a kick out of your thread yesterday (friends over for bar-b-que) which included two UMs and 1 RMs, and the rest of my hometown bros...they were all generally *laughing* not necessarily at you - although there's some of that - but the idea what some men will do just to get laid. The whole idea (of MOB men learning different language) *to them* isn't this noble gesture of knowledge and enviable quest for culture. To them, it's BS. They can see right through men involved in the MOB.

The funny thing is, one of them remarked *the dude's got to get a life*, then one answered he does have a life...next thing you know they're somewhat debating amongst themselves. That's when I got off the puter chair and told them they're just as nutsy as the character they're jostling about. Then, laughter.

So, no need for the dramatics. It is what it is, man...You should spend some valuable time making preparations for the arrival of your gal. Check University/Community College schedules and itineraries, ESL centers, etc...things that will prove to be a great value for her acclimation once she gets here than to be posting drivels endlessly on message boards.

Not bashing, dude...just keeping this real.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 09:18:36 AM by GQBlues »
Quote from: msmob
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.
3. N95 mask will choke you dead after 30 min. of use.

Offline jone

« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2013, 11:22:05 AM »
LT -

Every once in awhile, old GQ really hits the nail on the head.  (He has hammered his big toe pretty often, though, and his fingers are really banged up.)  If you are putting up more than one or two posts a day, you are obsessing over this forum stuff, and, most likely, obsessing over the FSU/WM thing.  A relationship is just that.  One person, one relationship.

I had a distant relative that became an internet stalker.  None of us wanted to talk to her anymore because everything that she did was reported to Face Book. 

I know for a fact that all of Arizona has beautiful weather today.  Go practice your swing at the driving range or drive up into the mountains for a nice dinner.  The time will come soon enough that your woman is with you.  Then you focus all of your attention on her.

My Russian skills are probably better than yours. But I do business in Eastern Europe and have to have  a basic conversational skill.  IF I marry my girl, she already knows that she will need to be proficient in English and that I will help where I can.  But there is no bending on such an issue.  Don't be entering into a relationship where you are making all of the effort and the woman is living a life of little commitment.  There is a word for such marriages:  Unbalanced.

As for the Duke, don't worry.  If you ever saw GQ in a ten gallon hat you'd know why he has JW envy.  He only looks good in a Clippers jersey.   :P

Kissing girls is a goodness.  It beats the hell out of card games.  - Robert Heinlein

Offline Daveman

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2013, 10:59:12 PM »
The duty of a true patriot is to protect his country from its government. -- Thomas Paine

lordtiberius

« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2013, 12:42:16 PM »
Here is a video I did mixing my photography and sharing my impressions in Russian.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLsIidRKDtc&feature=youtu.be

lordtiberius

« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2013, 06:36:53 PM »

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541019
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2385
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 9
Guests: 2209
Total: 2218

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 06:44:55 AM

Re: Arctic Blast hit hard in most areas of USA by 2tallbill
Today at 06:36:29 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:57:04 PM

Re: Plumber earnings by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 09:37:55 PM

Plumber earnings by ML
Yesterday at 07:49:26 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 07:23:34 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 06:28:48 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by 2tallbill
Yesterday at 04:48:07 PM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Yesterday at 04:37:18 PM

If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Yesterday at 04:17:08 PM