It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Trip report in Kiev February 2015  (Read 5329 times)

Offline scottiestevie

• Commercial Member
  • Stephen Pellicano owner of Ukraine marriage agency
  • Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 1 - 3
Trip report in Kiev February 2015
« on: February 19, 2015, 08:42:30 AM »
Flew out of JFK at 12.30am on Ukraine Airlines.  Tickets cost only $600 round trip.  I'd say about 90% of the plane was full, so it shows me that people are still flying.  Great thing is not only is ticket the cheapest of all the other airlines, but it is a direct flight.  Land in Kiev 8 hours later.

Everything at the airport was normal.  Trip by taxi through the city center revealed again that everything seemed normal. Independence Square was completely clean and showed no signs that a major protest went on just a few months ago.  No signs of burned tires, broken store front windows, or rubble to be seen.  Just one big building that had a big jumbo-tron tv opposite the post office was covered by construction tarp.

Exchange rate is at 26. Only about 2 weeks back it jumped from 13-16 up to 23.  This makes the dollar or Euro very valuable here.  When I was last in Ukraine the rate was just 8 for $1. 

Kiev is going about its business usually.   Even the new film posters for 50 Shades of Grey are hanging on big billboards.   Very cold though, bring warm clothes.
Sincerely,
Stephen Pellicano
Co-Founder
http://www.bridesmadeinukraine.com

Offline Larry1

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Re: Trip report in Kiev February 2015
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2015, 09:14:06 AM »
Exchange rate is at 26. Only about 2 weeks back it jumped from 13-16 up to 23.  This makes the dollar or Euro very valuable here.  When I was last in Ukraine the rate was just 8 for $1. 

Did you notice whether things such as apartment rentals are being priced in dollars now?

Offline BillyB

• Trips: > 10
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2015, 09:22:43 AM »

Have a safe trip Stevie. Keep us posted on the changes and the mood of Ukrainians you talk to.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline LAman

• Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2015, 10:11:35 AM »

Huh?? When I was in Ukraine in SEPT, rates were at around 13. I think it was 2-3 weeks ago it jumped from ~17- 23!!!
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift

Offline ML

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2015, 10:34:35 AM »
Huh?? When I was in Ukraine in SEPT, rates were at around 13. I think it was 2-3 weeks ago it jumped from ~17- 23!!!

Why are you surprised.  Just google UAH to USD and you can see the rates on any day.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline ML

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2015, 10:44:34 AM »
In most situations, it is a false sense of euphoria when (for instance) you hold USD and find the exchange rate to UAH has moved from 8 to 26, etc.

The sellers of goods and services in Ukraine are not stupid, so they will be moving their prices in UAH up toward the new exchange rate.  Inflation goes hand in hand with exchange rate movements.

And, many sellers and providers will not even encounter a problem as they always price their goods and services in USD to begin with.  Apartments, upscale restaurants, cab drivers catering to foreigners, etc.

So while the USD holder will not get the huge advantage they think they will get; at least they will not be hurting either.

The real hurt comes to the locals who hold UAH and get paid in UAH.  If any of them get a raise in pay, it will come with a huge lag in time and most will never get a raise in pay.

Meanwhile, the prices they pay will jump almost immediately.
True, the price for some locally produced items may not increase commensurately with the change in exchange rate, but it will be painful nevertheless.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline cc3

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2015, 10:49:08 AM »
I use the beer price equivalency scale for cost of living increases in UA. When I first met my fiance three years ago, the price of Chorne, my favorite UA beer, from Lviv, was slightly more than 8 hryvnen, or about a buck, for a half liter bottle of really smooth, powerful (6.8% ABV) dark ale (similar to a German double bock). That same beer now is only 10 to 12 hryvnen, depending on the shop, even though the sell/buy rate, today in Lviv, was 26/27.5. That's less than 50 cents per half liter. "What a country!" (Yakov Smirnoff, Ukrainian-American comedian/philosopher from Odesa...his many times-stated description of the USA; now I can reciprocate.)

:applause:

I rent my apartment in dollars. It's been the same rent for the last 8 months...good deal for my landlady!

Offline scottiestevie

• Commercial Member
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2015, 02:50:57 PM »
Thanks BillyB.  This week I will be getting out more often to get a feel for the mood of the people.  This is first time I am in Ukraine with my baby daughter, and we both are having our stomachs adjusting to the new foods/water options.

Just to back up what ML was saying, yes almost all rentals of apartments that I've ever stayed in (including now and 2012) the pricing is in dollars or euros.   Local food is a sure bargain.  However, just window shopped at a well known Ukraine suit company and lots of bargains here since they really have not raised the UAH prices.  My wife is planning to pickup a nice evening gown now that she's seen the price for men's suits.   (I am sure I'll go home with a couple of suits myself).  All this should end up being 1/3 the price for us than if we bought one year ago.
Sincerely,
Stephen Pellicano
Co-Founder

Offline AkMike

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2015, 06:40:26 PM »
FYI, There's a new 365 Hotel in Kyiv near Zhulany Airport on the west side of the town. Quite aways from the city center that was recently rented out for 1200 UAH for 3 days. 1800 per week and that includes breakfast and dinner. Airport shuttles are a whopping 100 UAH. But I assume that means to Zhulany and not Boryspil.

http://www.kiev365.com.ua/

Offline JayH

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2015, 07:00:29 PM »
Did you notice whether things such as apartment rentals are being priced in dollars now?

Not directly on Larry's point--but something to be aware of and why seeking clarification or confirmation on some quoted numbers.

Quite often UAH number appears as USD--ie when it effectively means money in UAH  -- not $USD price.
Sometimes when price makes no sense-- check further into what you are reading.
Also!!  Most western booking sites quote in currency of your choice. Often--if you check local site-you can find different price !That can also happen if you call.
That particularly applies to hotels--they run specials that are not advertised. Vice versa can also apply on that!!
SLAVA UKRAYINI  ! HEROYAM SLAVA!!!!
Слава Украине! Слава героям слава!Слава Україні! Слава героям!
 translated as: Glory to Ukraine! Glory to the heroes!!!  is a Ukrainian greeting slogan being used now all over Ukraine to signify support for a free independent Ukraine

Offline scottiestevie

• Commercial Member
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2015, 11:23:13 AM »
Update on currency.  The last few days have been absolutely crazy.  3 days ago I woke up to see the exchange rate had jumped from 26 to 36!  The following day went back down to 28, then a tick up and now a tick back down.  Currently standing at 26.

This really makes the local people's lives a roller coaster.  Nothing is certain for them. I noticed that in one day the price of bananas nearly doubled and in 2 weeks I've watched the price of gasoline jump from 17 UAE per liter to 26.
Sincerely,
Stephen Pellicano
Co-Founder

Offline ML

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2015, 10:01:09 PM »
Steve, out of curiosity, I just looked at your website.

I was struck by this statement:  NO NEED TO TRAVEL TO UKRAINE! WITH OUR REVERSE ROMANCE TOUR WE BRING BEAUTIFUL, SINCERE, HIGHLY EDUCATED, ENGLISH SPEAKING UKRAINIAN WOMEN RIGHT HERE TO NEW YORK AND SELECTED US CITIES.

I suspect this is a very untrue statement given that these gals cannot just get on a plane and come here.

But I will give you a chance to explain . . . if you wish to do so.

Offline AC

• Banned Member
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2015, 10:51:53 PM »
Steve, out of curiosity, I just looked at your website.

I was struck by this statement:  NO NEED TO TRAVEL TO UKRAINE! WITH OUR REVERSE ROMANCE TOUR WE BRING BEAUTIFUL, SINCERE, HIGHLY EDUCATED, ENGLISH SPEAKING UKRAINIAN WOMEN RIGHT HERE TO NEW YORK AND SELECTED US CITIES.

I suspect this is a very untrue statement given that these gals cannot just get on a plane and come here.

But I will give you a chance to explain . . . if you wish to do so.

The ones who are somewhat wealthy in Ukraine actually can.  He may specialize in tapping in to a pool of single UW who have already travelled to the West and can therefore travel again.  Who pays for this?  I'm going to assume that the guy would be expected to pick up the tab, but it will be very interesting to hear about it either way.

Offline BillyB

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2015, 11:18:13 PM »
This really makes the local people's lives a roller coaster.  Nothing is certain for them. I noticed that in one day the price of bananas nearly doubled and in 2 weeks I've watched the price of gasoline jump from 17 UAE per liter to 26.

My MIL is riding that roller coaster. Crazy
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline scottiestevie

• Commercial Member
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2015, 11:58:48 PM »
Yes ML.  I am glad you are giving me the opportunity to talk about my agency and glad you asked how we are able to offer REVERSE ROMANCE TOURS TO THE US. After just spending 3 weeks in Ukraine [FEB 2015] (and having all my bank accounts frozen by Bank of America for using an ATM in Kharkov - I posted more my experience here in the thread about PRIVAT BANK ATMs), driving by one of the 5 car bombs that occurs on average each month, how sick my whole family got from either the local food or water used to cook the food, plus the real dangers that exist for American tourists - especially those who are successful, wealthy individuals.  I am sadly saying that Ukraine is not the best place to visit right now.

With our 1 year old daughter my wife and I finally had the chance to visit her mother in Ukraine after she got her green card.   She hadn't seen her mother since she left 1.5 years ago on the fiancee visa and her mother still never meet her new grandchild.  It was set to be both a family and business trip to meet with some of our girls, staff, photo studio, meet new potential girls, my IT guy and just make some serious observations to see how we can improve our company.

We can offer REVERSE ROMANCE TOURS because of one very special distinction that my wife and I have worked very hard to accomplish since starting our agency 6 months ago.  Our matchmaking service only deals with professional, well educated, English speaking women who are already in positions where they hold 10 year visas to the US or can get them easily because of their 'high' positions back in Ukraine.  We didn't require our girls to have US visas.  We just wanted to find all English speaking gals.  Since my wife put a lot of time and effort to find such ladies, the result was we just found out by accident that a good number of our girls were taking yearly vacations to the US anyway on visas they already have.

That's the answer plain and simple.  I believe this is the future to finding a Ukrainian wife.  We wanted to be the first agency to offer this and we've gotten an overwhelming positive response from our male members.  I welcome anyone to find out for themselves.

Stephen & Elena
Sincerely,
Stephen Pellicano
Co-Founder

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0