It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Anyone heard of this scam?  (Read 5580 times)

Offline Bim

Anyone heard of this scam?
« on: September 16, 2020, 06:58:08 AM »
Hi, a friend of mine got hooked up with a Russian woman.  He's late 40s, she's mid 20s and looks like a model.  I told him to be careful, that it seems too good to be true, but he jumped in head first.  She said because her father is american that she could easily get a tourist visa, and even in the days of covid supposedly obtained one in about a week.  All this is throwing red flags to me, but he sends her money for a flight, something I told him to NEVER do.  To make a long story short, she claimed to have gotten stopped at customs.  At first he told me she got stopped because she had $14,000 worth of jewelry and didn't declare it, but now he's telling me he saw the paperwork and it was actually $1.3 million dollars in diamonds!  He is in talks with a lawyer, that called him out of the blue to discuss the case, and this woman says the lawyer provided her with a room to stay while it gets sorted out.  She said that her passport was confiscated at the airport.  I asked him, between the flight, money to this lawyer, and customs, how much has he sent so far.  It's $5,000🙄. Not bad for a woman who spent about a month talking to him.  He STILL doesn't think it's a scam, despite me pointing out how ridiculous it all is.  Maybe I can convince him otherwise if this is a common scam that others have fallen for?  I searched and couldn't find anything even remotely similar. I just worry about him because he's my best friend and I don't want him to lose even more money. 

Offline BillyB

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: > 10
Re: Anyone heard of this scam?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2020, 07:05:16 AM »

It's a very common scam. Woman needs money for flight. The day she is supposed to get on the plane, she tells man she has more problems that are solved with money. Man so close to having hot woman show up on his doorstep thinks with little head and little head says "Send more money". This scam has been going on for years because it works. Your friend's actions will encourage the scammer to continue with the scam on other men. Tell your friend it's best he doesn't get involved with women who's problems are solved with money.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline Patagonie

• >25 travels
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2020, 10:58:11 AM »
I also know this one for years.

Rule number 1 you first move your ass to meet her even if you have no arms and no legs due to war injuries
"Je glissais through the paper wall, an angel in the hand, s taboy. I lay on the floor, surgi des chants de Maldoror, je mix l'intégrale de mes nuits de crystal, i belong to the festival.

Offline Patagonie

• >25 travels
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2020, 10:59:50 AM »
This is one more belongs to the nigerian scams. So if he never saw her face it's possible that a whole tribe is having good time riight now.
"Je glissais through the paper wall, an angel in the hand, s taboy. I lay on the floor, surgi des chants de Maldoror, je mix l'intégrale de mes nuits de crystal, i belong to the festival.

Offline Davo

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: No Selection
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2020, 11:22:57 AM »
Both Billy and Pat are spot on.... your mate has fallen for the most basic and most common Russian dating scam, the visa / airfare / crisis at the airport scam. The guys who fall for this are usually complete beginners who have received an unsolicited email or joined a dating site without doing research.... These are actually the easiest scammers to avoid. He’d loose his life savings if he ever joined a PPL site and met a prodater 😉

I haven’t been on the site much lately, but I’ve come across several guys during the last year randomly on Facebook like your mate..... fallen for a visa - airfare scammer. It took one a while to believe me, but I pointed him in the right direction and he easily found a genuine woman online through a legitimate site. He’s planning to meet her after covid restrictions are lifted.

I’ve probably chatted with 10-15 of these scammers during my time on dating sites and baited some. They correspond in a way that’s nothing like a real Russian woman would. It’s so obvious I can pick them as a scammer in the first sentence, like most guys here would. Your mate will kick himself if he ever meets a genuine Russian woman online.... the difference is like night and day.

Show your friend this black list.... you’ll find hundreds of examples of this scam in different forms and maybe his scammer too. Click on the women’s names to the right of her picture and the victims have written an account of how they were scammed. Be aware that the women in the pictures are often victims too. They have had their images stolen from social media. In other words your friends has probably been talking to hairy Boris.

http://www.womenrussia.com/blacklist_summary.htm
« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 12:38:35 PM by Davo »

Offline GQBlues

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2020, 11:28:28 AM »
Hi, a friend of mine got hooked up with a Russian woman.  He's late 40s, she's mid 20s and looks like a model.  I told him to be careful, that it seems too good to be true, but he jumped in head first.  She said because her father is american that she could easily get a tourist visa, and even in the days of covid supposedly obtained one in about a week.  All this is throwing red flags to me, but he sends her money for a flight, something I told him to NEVER do.  To make a long story short, she claimed to have gotten stopped at customs.  At first he told me she got stopped because she had $14,000 worth of jewelry and didn't declare it, but now he's telling me he saw the paperwork and it was actually $1.3 million dollars in diamonds!  He is in talks with a lawyer, that called him out of the blue to discuss the case, and this woman says the lawyer provided her with a room to stay while it gets sorted out.  She said that her passport was confiscated at the airport.  I asked him, between the flight, money to this lawyer, and customs, how much has he sent so far.  It's $5,000🙄. Not bad for a woman who spent about a month talking to him.  He STILL doesn't think it's a scam, despite me pointing out how ridiculous it all is.  Maybe I can convince him otherwise if this is a common scam that others have fallen for?  I searched and couldn't find anything even remotely similar. I just worry about him because he's my best friend and I don't want him to lose even more money.

It fascinates me to no end how someone's 'friend' is always caught up in scams, while 'this' friend is smart enough to surf the 'net and find a venue like RWD to share/ask about a possible scam. Anyway, sorry about your friend. I hope $5,000.00 won't cause him too much of a hardship, and look at it as fee for a short period of jism-filled memories.
Quote from: msmob
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.
3. N95 mask will choke you dead after 30 min. of use.

Offline Davo

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2020, 12:47:23 PM »

It fascinates me to no end how someone's 'friend' is always caught up in scams, while 'this' friend is smart enough to surf the 'net and find a venue like RWD to share/ask about a possible scam. Anyway, sorry about your friend. I hope $5,000.00 won't cause him too much of a hardship, and look at it as fee for a short period of jism-filled memories.

It’s getting worse!!.... Main stream American dating sites are being flooded with Russian visa scammers in the last few years. During my time online dating in Australia I found more scammers of all kinds than I did on FSU dating sites. Thousands of guys are falling for this. The men i’ve helped recently are lobbing in FB relationship advice groups after meeting scammers on local sites.

I helped a guy from Wyoming this way. He spent 3 months chatting with a scammer. It only took him a week on fdating to find a really nice woman from Kazan, after some dating tips on how to meet genuine women.

I keep saying this site needs to be more newbie friendly. I’m giving advice to 4 new guys I met this week alone on FB. I point them here and they won’t sign up after reading other intros. RWD could be so much more than it it currently!!! It’s dead compared to my FB messenger in regards to giving advice.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 12:59:27 PM by Davo »

Offline BillyB

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2020, 01:00:40 PM »

It's best any newbie ask questions on this forum before wasting thousands of dollars and months of his life on a scammer. There are great women in the FSU to marry and we can help a guy sort out the good and bad.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline Davo

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2020, 01:08:16 PM »
It's best any newbie ask questions on this forum before wasting thousands of dollars and months of his life on a scammer. There are great women in the FSU to marry and we can help a guy sort out the good and bad.

We are failing miserably at this because the site isn’t as accommodating as it used to be. As I said, I’ve tried to get guys to sign up, but they can’t be bothered copping aggression if they make basic mistakes or say the wrong thing. Thousands of guys view this site a day and we can’t even get a fraction of a percent sign up. This site should be pumping given the random guys I’m meeting online who are actively looking to date FSU women.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 01:23:51 PM by Davo »

Offline jone

• Spouse's Country: Russia
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2020, 01:36:11 PM »
I wonder how many guys this 'Woman' at the airport has on the hook at the same time?
Kissing girls is a goodness.  It beats the hell out of card games.  - Robert Heinlein

Offline Patagonie

• >25 travels
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2020, 01:38:07 PM »
Davo is right.

He gives us a "lesson" here, myself included for a past action I have done wrongly.
We could make it more friendly for newbies.
Every one of us, senior members, could make it more easy.

It happens this week, in an other forum, that I am giving some help to a guy who have been ripped of 40 grands.
And this one is worse than the girl blocked at the airport. It pulled him to pieces.
Basically two years of dating during he had been a cow and finally he discovered she has married to a local.

So I would say that the crisis makes the dating market more dangerous than before.
And because of the SEO and the stupid google algorithm more men are pushed to the scam circuit industry while the independant scammers (fat Yuri, nigerians) have still nice days to come.

Offline GQBlues

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2020, 01:40:08 PM »
We are failing miserably at this because the site isn’t as accommodating as it used to be. As I said, I’ve tried to get guys to sign up, but they can’t be bothered copping aggression if they make basic mistakes or say the wrong thing. Thousands of guys view this site a day and we can’t even get a fraction of a percent sign up. This site should be pumping given the random guys I’m meeting online who are actively looking to date FSU women.

I'd partly agree with you there, Davo.

But I wouldn't lay the full blame on RWD. More times than not, people who are caught in a scam net are so defensive of their perceived *new found love affair* that any advice either falls by the wayside, or as sometimes happen, become hostile towards anyone who tries to help and tells them they're being scammed.

It's good you give folks a link to this site, but the frequency of 'any' civil FSU dating related topics are so few and far in between these days (and all they see are old farts squabbling about politics, or opine on places and events that doesn't concern them, or they have never been in - hahah!), hence they probably decide after reading these riveted threads/exchanges that the members are actually the ones that need 'help'.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 01:42:36 PM by GQBlues »
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.

Offline Patagonie

• >25 travels
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2020, 01:41:10 PM »
I wonder how many guys this 'Woman' at the airport has on the hook at the same time?

She went to the jewelry shop to buy all she needed with the money she gathered.

Offline Patagonie

• >25 travels
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2020, 01:47:24 PM »

But I wouldn't lay the full blame on RWD. More times than not, people who are caught in a scam net are so defensive of their perceived *new found love affair* that any advice either falls by the wayside, or as sometimes happen, become hostile towards anyone who tries to help and tells them they're being scammed.

It's good you give folks a link to this site, but the frequency of 'any' civil FSU dating related topics are so few and far in between these days (and all they see are old farts squabbling about politics, or opine on places and events that doesn't concern them, or they have never been in - hahah!), hence they probably decide after reading these riveted threads/exchanges that the members are actually the ones that need 'help'.

Yep that's true also. I forgot the capacity of deny of the victims that finally lands is some agressivity while the truth is about to pup up in their face.

Offline Davo

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2020, 02:03:27 PM »

I don’t think RWD is to blame for anyone falling victim to a scam, there is more than enough info here for a non member to avoid scams and I agree that it’s hard to get through to some men like the OP’s friend. My comments aren’t really related to this topic. I’m just making the point that my experience off site shows that lots of men are still considering FSU dating , actively corresponding with women and travelling to meet them. They have lots of questions that experience members on this site could give better answers than beginners like me, but lots aren’t comfortable signing up. What we do about this I don’t know. I suggested locking all pages except the first from each topic to non members to entice guests to become members and hopefully encourage more relevant discussions. Also having a newbie friendly panel that’s main goal is to make them feel comfortable when first signing up and posting.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 05:11:12 PM by Davo »

Online Faux Pas

« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2020, 02:04:06 PM »

It's always easier to fool someone than to convince them they've been fooled

Offline GQBlues

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2020, 02:17:43 PM »
I don’t think RWD is to blame for anyone falling victim to a scam, there is more than enough info here for a non member to avoid scams and I agree that it’s hard to get through to some men like the OP’s friend. My comments aren’t really related to this topic. I’m just making the point that my experience off site shows that lots of men are still considering FSU dating , actively corresponding with women and travelling to meet them. They have lots of questions that experience members on this site could give better answers than beginners like me, but lots aren’t comfortable signing up. What we do about this I don’t know. I suggested locking all pages expect the first from each topic to non members to entice guests to become members and hopefully encourage more relevant discussions. Also having a newbie friendly panel that’s main goal is to make them feel comfortable when first signing up and posting.

Not too long ago, I believe the two sections, Starting Out/Trip Reports, where somewhat a sanctuary for newbies and posters to post anything they like without getting winged by the peanut gallery.

Lately, what happens here is when a member gives a newbie, or anyone else for the matter, an opinion based on their experience - not long after - in comes the usual *Mr. I-Know-Better-Than-Anyone-Because-My-Way-Is-The-Only-Way* posting crap - then the thread just falls to pieces. That's been widely allowed here of late, at times even defended.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 02:56:29 PM by GQBlues »

Offline rwd123

« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2020, 11:38:20 PM »
I sometimes wonder how people can be so stupid, but truth is definitely stranger than fiction. Morons, morons everywhere.

Offline ML

« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2020, 08:16:33 AM »
Morons, morons everywhere.

Yes, I notice that those persons seem to be the ones that have the opposite viewpoint to mine.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Online 2tallbill

• Living the dream
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2020, 09:13:51 AM »
He's late 40s, she's mid 20s and looks like a model.

EVERYBODY has heard of this a thousand times.

The good girls who are mid twenties and look like a model will ignore late 40
year old men. 99.75% of the girls who don't ignore them have questionable
motives. 

As far as the exact particulars they are irrelevant. A model with a million dollars
in jewels doesn't need $5K from some middle aged American. Anybody who is
still throwing money her way is not suited to pursue an international relationship.

FSUW are not for entry level daters
FSUW don't do vague
FSUW like a man of action. Be a man of action 
If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane.
There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Just kiss the girl, don't ask her first. Tolerate NO excuses!

Offline iloveukrayinkas

• Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2020, 05:35:33 PM »
Hard to believe she had 1.5 M in diamonds and asking for just 5000 for her costs.
Life won't get easier. You just have to get stronger.

Offline BillyB

« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2020, 06:46:29 PM »
Hard to believe she had 1.5 M in diamonds and asking for just 5000 for her costs.

Hard to believe? Young, rich, beautiful women show up on the doorsteps of average American guys everyday. It happened to me but she wasn't rich. Unfortunately for the guy involved his girl got stopped at the airport. She probably wasn't carrying much cash to pay the fee because who's stupid enough to carry $5000 in a purse or wallet?

Offline BC

• Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2020, 02:21:19 AM »
Bim

Tell your friend the call from the 'lawyer' probably wasn't 'out of the blue'.

Did the lawyer ask for money too?

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2020, 11:45:30 AM »
I sometimes wonder how people can be so stupid, but truth is definitely stranger than fiction. Morons, morons everywhere.

This is so true. It's not just scammers that operate in the dating game. I hear many scam stories in the property game. Some twits get persuaded to invest vast sums in a barren land construction project after being told they will get even more vast sums back, at the end of it they don't even get the money back they invested while the construction project comes to nothing. All this due to trusting some else who they believed to be well respected while not even stopping to think if they were so good they wouldn't need to go to others to ask for money in the first place lol.

I sometimes wonder how and why such idiots can ever exist. I think any such people caught on such obvious scams should be arrested and psychiatrically assessed, I would love to know why some people are so dumb.
"If you make your own bread, then and only then, are you a free man unchained and alive living in pooty tang paradise, or say no and live in Incel island with all the others." - Krimster

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2020, 12:01:15 PM »
It’s getting worse!!.... Main stream American dating sites are being flooded with Russian visa scammers in the last few years. During my time online dating in Australia I found more scammers of all kinds than I did on FSU dating sites. Thousands of guys are falling for this. The men i’ve helped recently are lobbing in FB relationship advice groups after meeting scammers on local sites.

I helped a guy from Wyoming this way. He spent 3 months chatting with a scammer. It only took him a week on fdating to find a really nice woman from Kazan, after some dating tips on how to meet genuine women.

I keep saying this site needs to be more newbie friendly. I’m giving advice to 4 new guys I met this week alone on FB. I point them here and they won’t sign up after reading other intros. RWD could be so much more than it it currently!!! It’s dead compared to my FB messenger in regards to giving advice.

This site clearly isn't reaching the people that are in need of its help Davo. I'm guessing that FSU people starved of money by the virus are more desperate than usual and someone like the dude's 'friend' above are a more than welcome income stream.

I'm guessing that if FB is where you're finding these poor helpless individuals then that is probably the place where to reach out to those in need. You must be like a Messiah to these poor unfortunates Davo, yet still it is clear it's too much for one man alone. Maybe the guy who runs this site can set up a sister site on Facebook, etc that can communicate to these people in the more basic terms and simple ways they can understand. I think any sort off action on this front can only be a good thing as such stories as we have above are clearly an embarrassment to humanity at large and more specifically those of us that do FSU dating without falling for such obvious setups.
"If you make your own bread, then and only then, are you a free man unchained and alive living in pooty tang paradise, or say no and live in Incel island with all the others." - Krimster

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541004
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 1886
Total: 1897

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 11:16:08 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by ML
Today at 10:31:43 AM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 09:47:10 AM

What to do by 2tallbill
Today at 09:37:41 AM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Today at 09:18:17 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 07:00:25 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Brillynt
Today at 06:16:36 AM

Yesterday at 09:20:42 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:12:54 PM

Yesterday at 09:02:12 PM